5.0 out of 5 stars Made in USA - Comortable - Reliable
Published on July 5, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Soles did not hold up.
Published 20 months ago by Bryan A. White

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in USA - Comortable - Reliable, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Keen Utility Men's Portland PR 6" Aluminum Toe Work Boot (Shoes)
This is by far the best item I have ever put on my feet. I have worn my Keen Portland boots now for 8 months. They felt great the day I picked them up, and after a couple of days wearing them they felt like nothing I have ever worn before. My feet stay dry walking through the streets in the rain. They are truly more comfortable than my sneakers and dress shoes. I find myself wearing them even when I am not working because they are just that comfortable. I would recommend these to anyone who needs a pair of great shoes and I don't even necessarily mean work boots. The fact that they are assembled in the USA was my biggest buying factor but feeling how great they are just iced the cake. Probably the only other shoe I like to wear more are my 10 year old Keen sandles. Fantastic products from an outstanding USA company, be proud!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Soles did not hold up., January 8, 2013
I really wanted to like these boots. I bought them an didn't listen to the other review stating that they run big. This is true. I kept them a 1/2 size big anyway. After about 3 weeks of every day wear the knobs on the soles began tearing. So I sent them back to Amazon. I reordered a 1/2 size down. Again, I broke them in (which was about 3-4 days of continual wear). Same story as the treads started to tear after two to three weeks. They are very comfortable and a great looking upper, the soles are the problem for me.

I am a job site supervisor, and I cannot see how the soles would hold up to daily wear on rocky terrain or around a job site, especially if you more of a tradesman.

Keen, if you read this. I loved that they are made in USA and I would be happy to purchase again if you can tell me that with confidence the soles would hold up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work, November 28, 2013
Second pair for work great boots and comfortable. First pair lasted about a year and a halfish. Lot of grating and industrial dirts and dust is what they were worn in. USA made which is also a plus. Go USA

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected better, April 15, 2013
D. W. (Eugene, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I have had two pair of these boots in less than two years and both have been returned because of the same problem with the soles. I have not worn either pair to work or even hiked in rocky terrain, they have only been warn casually on the weekends on pavement.

The first pair I had warn for about six months before I realized the sole had started to come apart. Several lugs around the outer edge had lost chunks equal to a quarter to one third of the lug. Some of the tread near the middle of the sole had similar issues to lesser degree. I continued to wear them keeping an eye on their continued deterioration. After about eighteen months I happen to be in the store I had purchased them from and mentioned the problem. When they explained they had seen this with other customers who had the same boot and offered to replace my boots with "the new version" which was supposed to have improved soles I took them up on the offer hoping Keen had fixed the problem. Not so.

I have had the second pair of these boots for less than three months, casual weekend use only. I have put them on maybe twenty times and only warn them on pavement, I don't even consider them broken in. After such little use they are as bad or worse than the first pair. I don't think these soles would last a weekend on rocky trails. I took the boots back to the store where they offered to again replace my boots with another pair of Portlands or exchange for a Chinese made model from Keen. I will not accept Chinese products in exchange for something I went out of my way to find and spent more money for because it was made locally. Hopefully the third time is a charm and I'll get a pair that will last more than a couple weekends running errands.

While the upper appears to be well made and is one of the more comfortable I have experienced out of the box I can not comment on it's longevity due to the short life span of the sole.

The store that continues to deal with this issue gets 5+ stars.
The upper on short term evaluation gets 4 stars.
The soles ruin a otherwise good boot 0 stars.

This is my first and probably last pair of Keens. I have to say I really wanted to like these boots since Keen is a local company and the boots were made locally but I am deeply disappointed in Keen for continuing to produce such a poor quality sole more than a year later.

***UPDATE*** 9/20/13

Okay, the third pair does appear to have a more durable sole BUT they are not without their problems. First I noticed that there are still quality issues with the sole. The soles have both brown and black parts to them and on this third pair there are brown spots in areas of the sole that are supposed to be black. A relatively minor cosmetic flaw but still Keen should be able to do better for the price they charge. Second, the metal eyelets have sharp edges that are cutting the laces on both boots. This was not a problem on the previous two pair and I have not warn these one quarter as much but already need new laces.

My opinion after three different pair of these boots over almost two years is that Keen needs to work on their quality control before I would ever recommend them to anyone or buy another pair of their boots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome boots, March 31, 2014
Keens are a great comfortable work boot that I'm happy to wear all day to work in. And they hold up in extreme situation

4.0 out of 5 stars Good boots, February 4, 2014
Great boot, my husbands second pair. However the sole seemed to wear out fast causing the boot to leak.... This of course was after a lot of initial wear and tear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wear them every day, December 30, 2013
Comfortable once broken in. Stiff at first. Once worn in, excellent boot. Just ordered my second pair. I wear them every day for work 5-6 days a week. I don't baby them and they held up well. Toe guard is fantastic. You'll wear the soles off these boots before wearing them out, like I did! Thanks Keen!

5.0 out of 5 stars great boots, May 28, 2013
This is a great product, very comfortable and lasts. These were to replace an older pair that lasted one full year doing heavy construction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Soles Failed Immediately, June 16, 2014
I purchased these for use in a manufacturing facility (asphalt, gravel, metal grating, etc.). The soles fell apart in weeks. Keen gave me credit instead of returning my money which I did not appreciate.

A shame since these were made in the USA and I've had good luck with Keen products before.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great feel, but sole not holding up as expected, February 19, 2014
These boots look and feel great but after only 2 months of wear the soles have started coming apart. The rubber "teeth" on the sole have already come apart. Appears it's not bonded together very well. I don't see these lasting the year. Pretty disappointed for spending this much money on a shoe that falls apart so fast.

Keen Utility Men's Portland PR 6" Aluminum Toe Work Boot