Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KEEN Utility Men's Portland PR 6" Aluminum Toe Work Boot
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 10, 2014
This is my third pair of Keen boots, and, for the most expensive pair of Keens that are Made in America, they have the WORST sole construction ever. The Lugs on the outside of the sole seem to be coming right off the boot, as if they are a different type of rubber on the outside of the lug than inside? If I even have 30 days of actual work in them since I bought them in September (3 months ago!), I'd be surprised! I attached photos for evidence. I've owned tons of different work boots over the years and have never had this issue with any other boot. Vibrams soles wear evenly and don't chunk off anywhere near as easily as this.

I do have to say though, that these are the most comfortable boots I've owned. The last high top pair of Keen workboots were also great, but were a little hot for summer, so I bought these. The other Keen boots had a stitched outsole which was different construction and seemed to hold up much better than these.

As owner of a construction company, I need these for work, but even on days where i'm in the dirt it's a minimum compared to how hard some other guys use their boots. I have a feeling if I was a full time laborer who depended on my boots for 8-10 hour days, these wouldn't fit the bill. I would be surprised if mine are even still waterproof at the end of this winter at this rate. I wouldn't gripe about any of this for a 90-100 dollar boot, but for almost 200 bucks? They're not a good deal.

The funniest part about this is I've had a pair of Keen "Newport" Leather Sandals that I have worn religiously (every night after work, most of the summers, hiking, and yes, even on dry winter days) for 2.5 years now and show barely any sort of wear. I would buy them 100 times over, but for workboots? I guess my next pair may be Chippewas again.
review image review image
on January 8, 2013
I really wanted to like these boots. I bought them an didn't listen to the other review stating that they run big. This is true. I kept them a 1/2 size big anyway. After about 3 weeks of every day wear the knobs on the soles began tearing. So I sent them back to Amazon. I reordered a 1/2 size down. Again, I broke them in (which was about 3-4 days of continual wear). Same story as the treads started to tear after two to three weeks. They are very comfortable and a great looking upper, the soles are the problem for me.

I am a job site supervisor, and I cannot see how the soles would hold up to daily wear on rocky terrain or around a job site, especially if you more of a tradesman.

Keen, if you read this. I loved that they are made in USA and I would be happy to purchase again if you can tell me that with confidence the soles would hold up.
on July 5, 2012
This is by far the best item I have ever put on my feet. I have worn my Keen Portland boots now for 8 months. They felt great the day I picked them up, and after a couple of days wearing them they felt like nothing I have ever worn before. My feet stay dry walking through the streets in the rain. They are truly more comfortable than my sneakers and dress shoes. I find myself wearing them even when I am not working because they are just that comfortable. I would recommend these to anyone who needs a pair of great shoes and I don't even necessarily mean work boots. The fact that they are assembled in the USA was my biggest buying factor but feeling how great they are just iced the cake. Probably the only other shoe I like to wear more are my 10 year old Keen sandles. Fantastic products from an outstanding USA company, be proud!!
on April 15, 2013
I have had two pair of these boots in less than two years and both have been returned because of the same problem with the soles. I have not worn either pair to work or even hiked in rocky terrain, they have only been warn casually on the weekends on pavement.

The first pair I had warn for about six months before I realized the sole had started to come apart. Several lugs around the outer edge had lost chunks equal to a quarter to one third of the lug. Some of the tread near the middle of the sole had similar issues to lesser degree. I continued to wear them keeping an eye on their continued deterioration. After about eighteen months I happen to be in the store I had purchased them from and mentioned the problem. When they explained they had seen this with other customers who had the same boot and offered to replace my boots with "the new version" which was supposed to have improved soles I took them up on the offer hoping Keen had fixed the problem. Not so.

I have had the second pair of these boots for less than three months, casual weekend use only. I have put them on maybe twenty times and only warn them on pavement, I don't even consider them broken in. After such little use they are as bad or worse than the first pair. I don't think these soles would last a weekend on rocky trails. I took the boots back to the store where they offered to again replace my boots with another pair of Portlands or exchange for a Chinese made model from Keen. I will not accept Chinese products in exchange for something I went out of my way to find and spent more money for because it was made locally. Hopefully the third time is a charm and I'll get a pair that will last more than a couple weekends running errands.

While the upper appears to be well made and is one of the more comfortable I have experienced out of the box I can not comment on it's longevity due to the short life span of the sole.

The store that continues to deal with this issue gets 5+ stars.
The upper on short term evaluation gets 4 stars.
The soles ruin a otherwise good boot 0 stars.

This is my first and probably last pair of Keens. I have to say I really wanted to like these boots since Keen is a local company and the boots were made locally but I am deeply disappointed in Keen for continuing to produce such a poor quality sole more than a year later.

***UPDATE*** 9/20/13

Okay, the third pair does appear to have a more durable sole BUT they are not without their problems. First I noticed that there are still quality issues with the sole. The soles have both brown and black parts to them and on this third pair there are brown spots in areas of the sole that are supposed to be black. A relatively minor cosmetic flaw but still Keen should be able to do better for the price they charge. Second, the metal eyelets have sharp edges that are cutting the laces on both boots. This was not a problem on the previous two pair and I have not warn these one quarter as much but already need new laces.

My opinion after three different pair of these boots over almost two years is that Keen needs to work on their quality control before I would ever recommend them to anyone or buy another pair of their boots.
on November 26, 2014
My initial impressions of this boot were favorable, but that rapidly began diminishing over time. The fit was much larger than the similarly-sized Keen Pittsburg's I had become accustomed to wearing over the past few years. While that might have been easily wrote off as a difference in lasts between a Chinese slave labor shop and the ones they used to lay these down in good old Portland, USA, it was something I was willing to accept for what I thought was a superior, American-made, product.

Spoiler Alert....

These boots were so poorly made, the eyelets and lace hooks separated from the leather within two weeks. I literally could not lace these boots comfortably past midfoot. After reading the issues everyone else has had with separating soles, I'm convinced that Keen has turned a blind eye to the quality control. The really sad comparison is that I truly believe the Keens I've bought that were made overseas, were much better built.
on December 30, 2013
Comfortable once broken in. Stiff at first. Once worn in, excellent boot. Just ordered my second pair. I wear them every day for work 5-6 days a week. I don't baby them and they held up well. Toe guard is fantastic. You'll wear the soles off these boots before wearing them out, like I did! Thanks Keen!
on February 19, 2014
These boots look and feel great but after only 2 months of wear the soles have started coming apart. The rubber "teeth" on the sole have already come apart. Appears it's not bonded together very well. I don't see these lasting the year. Pretty disappointed for spending this much money on a shoe that falls apart so fast.
on August 11, 2015
I bought these boots for the looks mostly, so I'm very satisfied. Winters in southeastern VA aren't too harsh, but I wanted something to keep my feet protected and dry for the occasional winter conditions we experience. There is virtually no cushion in the footbed. I threw in a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts, and they now fit like a glove and have better cushion and more arch support . Oh, and the laces did break before the boots were broken in. So there's that.
on January 27, 2015
These boots are as comfortable as the other two styles of Keen work boots that I have had in the past. The only complaint that I have about this style, is that the toe box is larger than what a prefer. Out of the three styles of Keen work boots that I have had, I liked the fit of the Pittsburgh's the best.
on March 14, 2015
Got these during cyber Monday week, love them to bits. Comfortable, light weight, steel toe,water proof, durable, puncture and shock resistant.
They're great, after 2 weeks of breaking them in they become part of your feet.
My only gripe is the ordering on Amazon, the boots are sized 1/4 to 1/2 size bigger than described.
Also the constant bending, squatting, flexing, climbing, crawling of my job causes the laces to loosen up by the end of the day.
Every pair of boots I've owned regardless of brand does this to some extent.
I tell everyone to spend whatever you can't afford on quality work boots. Working men will feel better at the end of a long day, no leg, back, foot problems etc.