5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH THE EFFORT
Published on November 22, 2012 by lf

Published on January 6, 2011 by angelina

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't have a large enough opening to get it onto your foot!, January 6, 2011
I tried this boot on at a foot store this afternoon and could not get my foot in it. As the associate was eager to make a sale he pushed and I pushed and he used a shoe horn and NOTHING! There was NO WAY this boot was going onto my foot. After 5 min. of trying the associate admitted to me that they could not sell these boots because no one can get them on. The other associate indicated that he in fact had had ONE customer who did get it on, at which point they were very attractive. ONE PERSON?!??! Save your time having to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH THE EFFORT, November 22, 2012
As mentioned in other reviews, this boot is very difficult to get on (and off)due to the lack of a zipper and the narrow opening. I finally accomplished this task with a plastic bag over my foot. (Leg strength and another person to push/pull also necessary.) That being said, once you get them on, you may not want to take them off. Very comfortable with good arch support. May try a small flexible cutting board for my next attempt, and hopefully every subsequent attempt will be easier. Runs true to size. I normally wear a 7-1/2 in a running shoe and other Keen brand shoes and that size in this boot seems perfect with room for a heavier weight-sock if desired.

2.0 out of 5 stars laughed myself silly, October 11, 2011
This boot would be awesome, if I did not have to pull with all of my might trying to get the boot on! My friend sat here with me, as I tried and tried, and finally got one boot on. We were laughing hysterically. How can you wear a boot that you can't get your foot into?! My foot is nearly a narrow, and I bought a shoe 1 size larger than my normal 6 1/2. Sorry, it will need to be sent back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Also can't get boot on, October 7, 2013
A Reviewer (Kentwood, Michigan) - See all my reviews
My wife purchased these boots based on a previous positive experience with the Keen brand. She read the many reviews stating that the opening was incredibly narrow, but the style and expected comfort were enough to give them a try. As with the many others, she was unable to get her foot in the boot...not even with a struggle. It's too bad they have such an unusually narrow opening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keen Hoodoo Mid-Boot, December 18, 2010
Pulled boot out of box. Instantly loved the look. Loved the sole. I tried to put it on and I cant even get my foot into the boot. Great boot but Keen needs to put a zipper on the side to enter boot. Now I will have to return this boot and keep looking for new boots. So I love this boot but............cant even get my foot in.
Terry in Wisconsin

1.0 out of 5 stars unwearable, January 19, 2012
Sent these boots back. Tried several times with and without a boothorn to get them on. The other reviewers speak the truth, the opening is too stiff and tight to put your foot through.

5.0 out of 5 stars typical keen design, great for city winters, July 8, 2012
Ophelia (AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
i bought these for walking dogs in the middle of winter which at the time i was doing for a living - up and down icy sidewalks, through snowdrifts, and on the street. they are great. they ARE a little tough to get your feet into (and it helps to have a heel jack to get them off) but they are tough, secure, and ANTISLIP. they have the big toebox, which keeps me from getting numb toes (every other brand seems to put pressure on that nerve that runs down your foot). I wasn't wading through streams, but my feet did not get wet at all. i give them five stars both for comfort and function. oh - and they segued to "work casual" very well. went from walking dogs, to indoor 8 hour shift on foot, without a hitch.

notes: i live around boston... temps generally above 10 degrees F. I am buying a pair of keen "alaska" boots for serious cold winter hiking. and per the usual with Keen, buy these 1/2 size up from your usual size to get a normal fit. if you want to wear thick socks, you might want to consider a full size up. Most, but not all Keen shoes run 1/2 size small for most people.

remember - BIG TOE BOX. don't buy if you don't like it!

1.0 out of 5 stars There is a reason these are so marked down, August 29, 2013
Worst fit ever. Much too small around the ankle couldn't even get the boots on. I have several pair of keen shoes. Expected these to fit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Most bizarre fitting boots ever!?, February 21, 2013
Well I have a pair of Keen snowboots I love. I am usually an 8 or 8.5 and I sized up to a 9. I ordered a 9 in these too. Well I put the right boot on...no struggle at all. The left took 5 minutes of pure fighting. At one point I seriously checked to make sure I had the right boots on the right feet...or that I wasnt given two right shoes. I have them on now and seriously hope I can get them off later. At the least...Keen should have added a loop to help pull them on. I am going to keep these for a week or two to see if it improves. So bizzare that one boot was effortless to put on and the other isnt.
UPDATE: Well, had them on all day and back on today. The left boot is not as much of a struggle. Biggest issue I think is the fact that you have patchworked leather on a inflexible sole with no loop to help pull it on and off. If you order a half size up from your normal size, wear thin socks, and keep working with them...they will work. I have had them off and on today and it hasn't been too much of a struggle. I can already feel a difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Problem Getting it on, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Keen Women's Hoodoo Mid Waterproof Winter Boot (Apparel)
Despite the mixed reviews on the Hoodoo, the sale price was too good to not give it a shot. This is a beautiful winter boot. The color is nice and stitching cute, and the tread has a nice grip. I ordered a size up (an 11) and have no problem getting this boot on. Although the upper portion is a bit snug when putting it on, once I'm wearing the boot, I'm glad it's not looser, and it's not that easy to find a slip on boot. Because it's a slip on and a little big length wise, it's good for walking around town or shoveling snow, but I probably won't do any serious hiking in these. The waterproof insulation works well and is warm. I was surprised that the fit was a bit too tight at the ball of the foot, but since it's leather it seems to be stretching out as I wear it. I've had this pair for about 2 weeks and am guessing that with more wear it will become a favorite winter option.