4.0 out of 5 stars Practical, need to break them in to love them
Sizing and look:
Published on November 3, 2012 by Smru

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love them
Published on November 1, 2011 by Talullah Fish

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical, need to break them in to love them, November 3, 2012
Sizing and look:
When I initially bought these, I wasn't very keen (no pun intended) on keeping them. The ankle space is wide and I felt that it made them look galosh-y. However, I wore them for a few days to give them a chance, and the leather around the ankle became more flexible and conformed well to my shape. The design of the boot is great, especially if you are looking for a classic, no-nonsense look. The boots look really good OVER jeans - my calf circumference is 11 inches around and I wear thick woolen socks inside, and there is just the right amount of space for my jeans to go in. I do not wear dresses in the cold at all, but for the sake of an all-rounded review, I tried them on under a dress with leggings - they looked just a tad wide around my calf since I wasn't stuffing pants into them, so if you have bigger calves than mine this boot will look better with dresses on you. I love the height of this boot - it sits about 1 inch under my knee, and I am 5 ft 5 inches tall, 126 lbs. The leather is really soft and shiny and therefore adds to the attractiveness of the shoe. Much of how good this boot looks depends on what you want in a shoe - I value practicality over look but I always look for a balance between the two. I do not mind a boot that is slightly bulky as long as I don't look like a Yeti-hunter and I am comfortable. My shoe size ranges from 7.5-8, but I ordered 8.5 since I wear thick socks under boots, and they fit perfectly. This boot is best for somebody with a 12-13 inch calf and a classic, practical taste.

Comfort and practicality:
The sole is AMAZINGLY comfortable - I cannot wear anything with a heel, and this boot lets me walk forever without giving me any back or foot pain - lots of cushioning and give. They are really warm and my feet are cozy in them, so they are great for the cold outdoors. They are also great for hiking, as the sole is essentially a hiking sole. I can't comment on how waterproof they are since I haven't worn them in the rain yet.

All in all, don't buy these if you are a passionate fashionista, but if you love the outdoors and want a durable, high-quality boot that meets a balance between look and practicality, its for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love them, November 1, 2011
Talullah Fish (Port Townsend, WA) - See all my reviews
I so wanted to love this boots. I help on to them and kept trying them on, but they just don't fit right. Love the styling, how they look, the comfort of the foot, that they are good for rain & snow. I want a boot that is comfortable walking in, and Keens always work for me. It is probably my wide calves, but that wouldn't have been such an issue if the zipper wasn't so sticky and difficult to pull up. Once I had them zippered, they sagged in the ankle. If I could afford to, I would hold on to them longer, but I really don't see myself wearing them anytime soon. I am trying to replace my beloved Uggs Brooks short boot which have lasted for years...I can only find the tall version now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, October 14, 2011
I love Keen but never owned a pair of their boots. These looked comfortable, along with being warm and waterproof. They're perfect for casual wear and definitely work appropriate. I recieved them in the mail yesterday and presently wearing them with a casual dress, they look adorable. More importantly they are true to size and SO comfortable. I feel as though I'm wearing sneakers! I don't see there being a breaking in period either as the leather is not stiff. The boots have a lot of give and cushion. Keen is worth the price tag in my opinion. The seller was great also b/c I changed the size after my order was placed and everything was correct when the came.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keen...you let me down again..., November 22, 2012
Why oh why can't you make boots that really work for wide calves. I have reviewed two previous pairs of Keens that seemed to promise they would fit wide calves and they didn't. But because frankly I love Keens, I gave you another chance. I believed in your this time, but no mas! It wasn't meant to be. These boots supposedly fit 16" calves. I have 15" calves and I couldn't get these zippered past the middle of my calf. Yes, that's as far as I could get them. Perhaps the 16" is on a women's size 11. I ordered a six. I measured the calf circumference and it is only 14.5". Again, like with the others I tried, the boot is narrow from the ankle and mildly widens as you move up the shaft. MILDLY. Keen, do you realize that a calf muscle is more than a single band right below the back of the knee? Because you let me down so many times this season, I was tempted to give this boot one star,but my conscience wouldn't let me because, darn it, the boot is great. The sizing just isn't. Keen, please think about us wide calf gals when you make boots for 2013. We are feeling disenfranchised and ignored yet we are so loyal to you. I have to return these boots too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, cozy, cute, versatile!, April 4, 2012
nikki morgan (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keen Women's Silverton Waterproof Winter Boot (Apparel)
Picked these boots up from an Amazon warehoue deal long after we should need winter boots, tho it's still cold here in Western WA! They fit true to "Keen sizing" for me which is 1/2 size larger than I'd usually wear in boots and shoes, different for sandals....that's Keen. The styling is great, casual yet not too clunky, versatile for wearing with many different outfits. The leather is soft and the overall fit is extremely comfortable. I had Winthrops for awhile, they always seemed to hurt across the top of my foot and were just too clunky for my taste. I can't comment on how waterproof these are but I trust Keen since the Winthrop was great in deep east coast snow. As for the person who complained about the ankles sagging, these are riding boots styling and meant to sag a bit, necessary in the horse world for ankle flexiblity and more comfortable to walk in. There's more room for an extra sock or for jeans with a little extra ankle space.

I will wait patiently to wear these, it's way past time for spring! I think they will keep my feet warm and dry next winter (let it not come too soon)....for a great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, true to size, fashionable, and waterproof, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Keen Women's Silverton Waterproof Winter Boot (Apparel)
I have owned these boots in brown for two months now and I wear them almost every day. They are fabulous. I usually wear a 7.5, sometimes 8 depending on the shoe -- I ordered a 7.5 and when they came I was worried they might be too small, but after wearing them for several days and breaking them in, that was the perfect size for me.

Pros:
-Waterproof! I haven't jumped in any puddles yet, but I have shoveled snow twice now in these boots and both times I have come inside completely dry. My toes did get a little cold because these are not very insulated around the toe, but I have enough room for a thicker sock so that is not a big problem.
-Comfortable. These don't have a lot of give around the ankle, and the first week or so, as I was breaking them in, the folds created around the ankle from walking were hurting quite a bit. I was worried that was a permanent problem, but I just suffered through it and now that they are broken in I have no complaints. The arch support isn't amazing, but I have high arches and usually have to wear insoles to get complete support.
-Fashionable. These look great tucked into jeans or with a casual skirt. Overall an excellent winter out-and-about boot.

Cons:
One day I was walking into a store and noticed what looked like some dark grease drips that had soaked into the top of one of the feet. I have no idea where they came from (maybe from a dripping gas pump?), but I took the boots into a cobbler and he resprayed them and they came back looking as good as new. Anyway, I don't know how something waterproof got grease leaked into it, but at least it was fixable.

I plan to wear these for a long time, and I'm thinking about getting a pair in black. If you are looking for a practical but fashionable winter boot, don't hesitate!

UPDATE December 2012:
I have now owned these for a year and stand by my 5 star review. They have held up wonderfully. They are still completely waterproof and they look great. I shovel snow in them regularly and they always keep me dry. They are still very comfortable. I always get compliments on them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted in a boot, but..., January 18, 2012
Be sure to order a boot that is big enough. My usual size is 9 or 9.5 but I ordered a 10 since I'm out in the weather a lot and wanted to wear the boots with my coziest thick socks; for that, I feel like I could have gone up another 1/2 size. Also, I read that the calf circumference was 16.5". My calves measured 15", yet I would not want the boots to be any more snug than they are. Tights, woolens, or thinner leggings are fine, but I doubt I could fit the boots over jeans.

The traction is very good, but could be better. I had hoped to be able to replace my clunky snow-boots with these great-looking Keens, but in really slick conditions, I'll stick with the former.

Overall, these are fantastic boots! They're warm and comfortable, and one of the few boots I could find with lovely soft leather, a practical, comfortable sole, and a great style. With a tiny bit of tweaking, by making the boots more exactly true to size and giving them just a bit more traction, they would be perfect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone..., February 15, 2013
I really wanted to love these boots. I am a big Keen fan and was looking for a pair of casual, city/country winter boots to romp around in. My instep is high and even so, the instep on this boot was too high for me making the boots sag in the front above my ankle bone. Instead of looking funky on me, they looked frumpy. I had to return them.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent looking, a little like a rainboot,, October 24, 2012
decent looking, a little like a rainboot,calf opening is wayyy too big for smaller calves. I'm about 14" & this fits like a rainboot on me. It also looks like a rainboot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks water in at the toe, September 3, 2013
While I love the look, the comfort and the fit of these Keen Boots, after wearing them (new) in 2 feet deep of snow my toes were wet and freezing after walking home from my classes, which is only a 15 minute walk! I of course kept wearing them all winter when the snow wasn't too high or slushy, and I will try to reseal them somehow since they are so comfy and they grip well but I am pretty dissapointed I paid $100 for waterproof shoes which weren't actually waterproof.