5.0 out of 5 stars You won't crack a frown
Published on February 13, 2004 by Janet Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you like!
Published on May 28, 2004 by Gregory A. Glasscock

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you like!, May 28, 2004
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Keb Mo has done 3 of my favorite albums (CD's...I am an old dog) of all time. Keb' Mo, Just Like You, and Slow Down are the three. The Door and Keep It Simple don't get me. He is still a great voice and guitar player but the music just doesn't move me. I think, as has been noted, that he is moving away from the blues and that is fine. I hate to see artists get pigeon holed into something they don't have their heart in. And in all fairness, none of the CD's are totally blues anyway. But I will say that if blues is your bag, then certainly start with one of the early works. If you like a littele more pop sound then buy Keep It Simple or The Door. By the way, I happen to enjoy Big Wide Grin, which is all covers, more than Keep It Simple or The Door. The selections are interesting and well performed. I stand Keb's version of America the Beautiful up with Ray Charles' version. And Everybody Be Yo'self is one of my favorite Keb' Mo recordings. I wait with interest to see where he goes next. I will continue to follow but will always gravitate to the first three works. One more thing, his Sessions at 54th make me want to see him live. He has a great stage persona.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't crack a frown, February 13, 2004
Janet Allen "sandpiper" (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Keb' Mo' lets his light shine on this CD. The music is a mix of blues, pop, with a bit of gospel and even bluegrass thrown in. The first track, "France" sets an upbeat mood, and makes you smile from the start. "Let Your Light Shine" has an affirming message with a gospel tone. The sardonic "Prosperity Blues" laments that things can be so good, they're bad. And the title track, "Keep it Simple" features some of the best guitar work on the CD.
Keb's "Riley B. King" is a great tribute to a great man, and it features outstanding guitar solos from Robert Cray and Robben Ford. In "House In California" we get to hear Keb's bango playing, and some fine bluegrass instrumentation. Background vocals on the song are provided by Vince Gill, Amy Grant, and Andrea Zonn (who also plays the violin on the track).
The other tracks are not disappointing, either. This is not "low down blues" but "up high blues". Keb's in fine voice and great songwriting form. Thanks, Mr. Mo', it was worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keb' Mo' Makes Blues Mo' Beautiful, February 15, 2005
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Not being a Keb' Mo' follower, I picked up this CD after hearing of its 2005 Grammy® Award for Best Contemporary Blues Album and listening through the cuts online. Simply put, I have not purchased a better CD all year.

This CD caught me offguard from the start with "France", a terrifically humorous story of a wife's desire to travel abroad..."Aint nothin' wrong with Texas/But I'd really love to go to France". The fourth cut, "Shave Yo' Legs" is one of the most endearing love songs I've ever heard and "Prosperity Blues" has such a great spin on the "blues" that you can't help but chuckle. Keb' Mo's tip of the hat to B.B. King in "Riley B. King" is a beautifully fitting tribute cut that features both Robben Ford and Robert Cray with their best King imitations. The title cut, "Keep It Simple", contains one of the best payoff lines you'll ever hear, but the hidden treasure on this CD just might be the "King"-ly "Walk Back In".

Keb' Mo's blending of a more contemporary pop and blues sound with straight-forward lyric and the perfect blend of joy and sadness is what makes this CD sing. Where some would criticize Mo' for his "abandonment" of his roots, this listener found "Keep It Simple" to be an incredibly palatable and addictive blues injected recording that combined strong lyrical content, well-crafted songwriting, and a varied blues foundation. That is probably what sets this recording apart from the rest - Keb' Mo's ability to vary his sound and words to create a layered beautiful blues offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat ? Blues ?, April 21, 2004
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Keb Mo combines upbeat and positive lyrics with a beautiful mellow blues style that results in something really original and fun to listen to. His lyrics sometimes make me laugh out loud and the mellow groove of his tunes is infectious. This is really great music. Another reviewer below already referenced my favorite verse in the whole cd re: the coffee store, etc. This is my first Keb Mo CD but I am ordering the others. I hope they are as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars "saw" the album live!, March 18, 2004
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
A collection of warm sunshine -- Saw Keb live at the House of Blues for his debut of this album, where he unbelievably played STRAIGHT for 2 1/2 hours and came on back for more -- TWICE--- there was no stoppin him!
The songs on this album from You Don't Have to Shave Your Legs to Let Your Light Shine -- they are so filled with that beautiful Keb Mo' energy that you can't help but catch that big wide grin he's forever flashing-- he's a good man with a big heart and warm sweet beautiful message, and way, about him -- gonna get the cd just to bring me back to that night. This is what music is all about! Relax and smile and enjoy!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Birthing the Hybrid, May 1, 2004
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Keb' Mo' has launched a brilliant career that is evolving. "Slow Down" was his first CD I heard, and may still be my very favorite. His appearances on "Touched by an Angel" and their CDs, his frequent guest appearances on others' CDs including the new comeback disc by Melissa Manchester, his "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" cover on the "Timeless" Hank Williams tribute CD and several soundtrack cuts like "Glory of Love" from the "One Fine Day" soundtrack and "Crapped Out Again" from "Tin Cup" soundtrack show a great versatility.
On "Keep It Simple" Keb' blends blues and pop to arrive at a hybrid that isn't strictly blues, nor strictly pop, but draws incredible strength from both types. My favorite track that is currently in my personal top ten is the buoyant "Let Your Light Shine" with its great bass backbeat and the incredibly positive lyric, "Step into your greatness, don't be afraid, there's a place that you will rise up to; no one else can do what you do." My other favorite is the romantic "Closer" with Munyungo Jackson's delightful percussive touches and Andrea Zonn (whose "Love Goes On" is a fine CD) on violin, "Turn the lights down low, I need to let you know I'm so in love with you." The opener "France" has infectious toe-tapping shuffle with the lyric reflecting the restlessness of dreaming." The other tracks are also strong from the humor of "Shave Yo' Legs" to the self satisfaction of "Prosperity Blues" to the wistful sadness of the closer "Proving You Wrong." This is an excellent set by one of our young emerging legends. If I had any criticism, I'd probably have enjoyed a couple of strong uptempo tunes to sparkplug the set, but the mellow groove that Mo' sets is exquisite. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars really simple?, June 21, 2005
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Remarkable for accuracy, arrangements and quality of the sound, it is not a "pure blues" record, but a (winning) combination of blues and ballads (fifty-fifty). Refined and sophisticated, always pleasant, it shows a nice list of tracks all deeply rooted in American popular music, linked by the unmistakable Keb's touch, with his acoustic/dobro guitar work. Keb' Mo' is probably the best "complete" bluesman at the moment, respectful of blues tradition and nice to modern listeners. High class. High quality.

Riccardo Frau - Italy

5.0 out of 5 stars 5+++ Best Cd in my collection!!, March 7, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Wow, wow! this cd is amazing, incredible and beautiful just as track 11 says. With its combination of blues, bluegrass, country, rock, and maybe even soul, this is my favorite. Since I got it only four days ago, I've loved it! Keb' has done a great job in his lyrics this time espicially in "Let your Light Shine'"Keep it Simple", "Riley B. King" House in California", and "I'm Amazing" Inspiring and reflective, yet it cracks you up at the same time. it really makes you think about how crazy our lives are and how we should just forget our large ego's and let our light shine by just being ourselves. You're amazing and a miracle Keb, a true gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Listenable!, February 14, 2004
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Every once in a long while an album comes along that forces you to stop what you're doing an *listen* to the music and pay attention to the lyrics. This us one of them. For a "blues" album it's a wonderfully upbeat celebration of happy feelings and good times. It will come to be considered an "essential recording" on many people's list. I especially like "Let Your Light Shine" and "Prosperity Blues" plus the humor of "Shave Yo' Legs."

4.0 out of 5 stars And Simple It Is!, February 17, 2004
Jay Grabow (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
Keb' Mo's latest effort is aptly named -- it's a simple pleasure to relax to this music. After several spins, for me, this disc is a noticeable improvement over "Big Wide Grin" and "The Door". I've got no major problem with either of those CDs, but I must admit, after listening to "Big Wide Grin" I was left searching the credits certain that I'd find Barney, (yes, the purple dinosaur), listed as the writer of several of the tracks.
Some might complain that Keb' "sold-out", or that he's strayed from the "roots-blues" that characterized his first two releases, "Keb'Mo'" and "Just Like You". Perhaps he has, but I like to see artists grow and test new waters. Keb's music has evolved, as, hopefully, has the taste of the listener. While I don't know anything about Keb' Mo's personal life, it's easy to imagine that, since his first CD, he's gotten married and become a father. His lyrics are appealing because not all blues fans cheat on their spouse, (or are cheated on). Some of us have the blues cause we're, "...drivin' down the highway, in a brand new minivan, the wife and kid's are screamin', oh God, I'm a family man!"
I give this disc 4 stars because It's a great effort, but I don't think that I'll be playing this disc as much as I played "Slow Down" or "Just Like You". Keb, just keep the music coming man...and visit Omaha soon!

Keep It Simple
Keep It Simple by Keb' Mo'
Buy MP3 Album$8.99