4.0 out of 5 stars You go, girl! Judge Judy tells it like it is
I'm a big fan of Judge Judy's TV show, so of course I immediately went out and bought the book. As I was reading it, I couldn't help thinking that for a person to endure 25 years of people like this in Family Court without going insane is nothing short of a miracle.
Published on July 18, 2000 by Helen M. Moss

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dissappointing read
I saw Judge Judy on an interview with Larry King Live about the book. From the interview I thought it would be interesting enough to buy.
Published on July 26, 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars You go, girl! Judge Judy tells it like it is, July 18, 2000
Helen M. Moss (Yorktown Heights, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keep It Simple, Stupid: You're Smarter Than You Look (Hardcover)
The book takes you through a variety of family-forming and family-splitting situations, such as moving in together, divorce and remarriage, as well as relationships with and between parents, step-parents, grandparents, siblings and children. Every point in every chapter is supported by a a highly entertaining amalgam of cases culled from her years in Family Court, as well as cases heard on her TV show. Believe me, there is NOTHING she hasn't seen or heard!
Judge Judy offers no-nonsense, common-sense advise when it comes to marriage, money, families and living arrangements, and she frequently reminds her readers that American courts are not designed to soothe every last one of a person's ruffled feathers. Whether or not she actually receives it, she expects a high level of maturity in the people who come before her. And she's not shy about saying "Tough Luck" to those who lost out as a result of their own stupidity.
I think the vast majority of people who would be interested in this book are reasonably intelligent, and as such will be just as amused (and sometimes outraged) at some of the cases she's heard as I was. She's not shy about holding up her own life, with her two divorces and her blended family, as an example about what and what not to do. Although the book itself was rather short (you could probably finish the whole thing in under an hour), I found it highly entertaining and would recommend it to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge Judy Blasts Away at Harmful Behavior as Only She Can!, August 6, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Judge Judy has a simple point here: We do it to ourselves by making bad decisions about how we interact with those closest to us. The reason is obviously because we all assume we are right, and cannot understand why everyone else doesn't see it our way. Rather, we should look at how it is from everyone's perspective (as a judge would) and make the best common sense choice. Works for me!
Judge Judy brings a lot to this book. She is a mother, a remarried spouse, a step mother, lawyer, financial advisor, and judge. Occasionally, she also talks to you like a wise elder sister. At other times, she makes a convincing drill instructor in boot camp.
The format is very interesting. She makes up scenarios from more than one case she has seen before. In so doing, she makes them just a little more complicated than they probably are in real life. This makes the situations so ridiculous that you have to laugh at yourself if you see yourself in some aspect of the scenario. That was brilliant. People are more open to change when they are laughting, than when they are angry.
Like in the television show, the parties get to tell their beef. Usually, the second party explains why the first one was all wet in her or his explanation. Judge Judy then gets out her opinions and levels one . . . or the other . . . or both.
Actually, I liked the book better than the television show because the scenarios are pretty funny, while the people on television are sometimes just pathetic. Also, you don't have to listen to a lot of ranting at each other. Judge Judy has edited it down to the minimum.
Further, she explains some general philosophies that you would only pick up on by watching about 200 of her shows. Here are some of these:
Living Without Benefit -- If you call this commitment, you should be committed. She suggests living together for no more than one year, splitting the expenses down the middle, and not buying anything expensive together. If any other money passes hands, put the promises in writing.
Tying the Knot -- Measure ten times, and cut once. Get a pre-nuptial agreement. 50 percent of these marriages are going to fail. It'll save pain and money later.
Married Bliss -- If life were fair, men would have stretch marks.
Kids Happen -- Having a baby is easy; being a parent is hard.
After the Ball Is Over -- Don't get mad. Get out. Move on.
Tug-of-War -- Love your kids more than you hate each other.
The Second Time Around -- For better or forget about it!
The Family Bond -- Honor your parents.
'Til Death Do Us In -- Where there's a will, there's a way.
Keep It Simple, Stupid -- You're smarter than you look. "The bottom line is, it's up to you."
Overcome your misconceptions that you can act like a two year old in your personal life without paying for the consequences with this sage, practical advice from the front lines of the vanquished. Judge Judy is a 2,000 percent stallbusting solution!
By the way, you can save a lot of future grief by sharing this book with your children before they get themselves into these messes.
Donald Mitchell (donmitch@2000percentsolution.com)

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dissappointing read, July 26, 2000
By A Customer
When I finally got it, I was dissappointed. It was like reading a magazine, not a hardcover book. It was just filled with quotes & complaints from couples. It was like a Q&A book. But with 80% of the book filled with other peoples squables, and only 20% of her personal solutions to them.
I thought that there would be more thought provoking analysis or discussions on marriage, families & relationships. It was a dissappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense from the Queen of Common Sense, December 10, 2000
As a great admirer of Judge Judy's books, I have to say that they get better and better. When you look at the issues she addresses and then read her carefully thought out responses, so many areas of life that may seem complicated are actually so easy to understand and you wonder "Why didn't I see it that way?" Judge Judy is concise and fully stands behind her convictions that have made her opinions so popular around the country. In an age where "less is more" is a widely accepted desire, the judge lays out her case, makes her ruling, and moves on. Would that the court system in this country move as quickly! Court is adjourned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expected cheese, and got...good advice!, July 19, 2004
Alyssa Farver "lyssrose" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Okay, so I was expecting this to be incredibly corny, but instead, I was pleasantly surprised. This is a relatively quick read, but it still manages to cover some fairly deep topics - everything from living together to divorce to children to death - and it features real world situations and advice. There were a few times that I didn't agree with the advice, but more often than not, I found myself agreeing completely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just plain Judy, and that's that!, February 22, 2005
Wolfe Moffat (Franklinville, NY) - See all my reviews
Ok, you've spent some time browsing around in the book store or the library and all of a sudden this pops out at you. Hey, you really enjoy the TV show, "Judge Judy", so will I enjoy this? You take your chances. I'm glad I took my chances. It was kind of like reading the "Dear Abby" section, but hearing both sides of the story, then hearing Judy's opinion. Issues concerning marriage, kids, parents, and what-not. I usually get a good laugh from reading the "Dear Abby" section in the paper because I feel if you actually have to have someone like that to solve your problems, there's no hope for you. So the title of this book was completely appropriate. But in being fair, some of the questions were actually legitimate.

Hey, lots of people love Judge Judy because she tells it like it is. She still does in her book! She still doesn't hold anything back. Way to go!

4.0 out of 5 stars THE VERDICT'S IN!, September 13, 2000
Here comes the judge, here comes the judge - it's the tell-it-like-it-is judge of TV fame - Judge Judy Sheindlin who never stints with her advice. One almost comes to believe that she could even repair plumbing as she unhesitatingly dishes out how-tos on every subject that may beset a family from husband/wife disputes to child rearing to caring for the elderly. Common sense is her shield and planning ahead her banner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheindlin Rules!, August 1, 2000
By A Customer
Once again, employing her inimitable mix of no-nonsense advice, commonsensical wisdom, and wry humor, Judy Sheindlin has hit the mark with KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID. In her deceptively simple approach, Sheindlin offers invaluable feedback on myriad issues that confront our everyday domestic lives. This book's appeal lies in its ability to connect with a deep cross-section of the American culture, offering hands-on techniques to deal with the knotty problems that, in one way or another, plague us all.
Rendered in a lively, entertaining and fundamentally anecdotal format, Sheindlin's wit and wisdom is a must-read for anyone who consumes her syndicated television hit like so much popcorn, or who isn't afraid to have there problems confronted with a generous helping of "tough love".
I tore through this book like wildfire. When I was finished, my only sadness was the realization that it might be a hefty wait until Judge Judy's next book hits the stands.
Judy Sheindlin rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge Judy Rules--And It's Really Funny, August 2, 2000
By A Customer
Keep It Simple Stupid is an instant Judge Judy classic. Beauty Fades Dumb Is Forever concentrated on women. Keep It Simple concentrates on everyone! Families, couples, their dogs, their kids, it's all here. The writing is so razor sharp you keep expecting to find cuts on your fingers as you turn the pages. Keep telling it like it is Judge Judy. Savagely funny, scathing, and honest. It was lots of fun to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Books for Societal Issues That Impact Your Family, January 9, 2001
Rae Goodman (Bronx, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I am a Judge Judy fan. I love to see professional women in non-traditional careers. This book is helpful for families that are dissecting issues. This book provides a brief overview of family issues that impact traditional families, extended families and step-families. If your family is facing a dilemna, this is the book for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Keep It Simple, Stupid: You're Smarter Than You Look
Keep It Simple, Stupid: You're Smarter Than You Look by Judy Sheindlin (Hardcover - July 3, 2000)
Used & New from: $0.01