5.0 out of 5 stars HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY?
Published 8 months ago by the GreatReads!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.
This book was. HUGE disappointment. The story itself had potential, but it was written very poorly. From the very start it was unbelievable. I've loved all of Lisa Scottoline's book, but this was awful.
Published 8 months ago by dnmom

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY?, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Hardcover)
Keep Quiet by New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award winning author Lisa Scottoline is a riveting and fast-paced psychological suspense novel of lies, secrets and deception. It is the story of an accountant Jake Buckman, his wife Pam and their high school junior son Ryan. With twists that only Lisa is capable of weaving into a story, Keep Quiet explores the moral and ethical dilemmas that come to the fore out of one tragic incident, and its subsequent cover-up.

The story follows Jake who goes to pick up Ryan at their suburban movie theater. On the way home, Jake let Ryan drive and they met with a tragic accident resulting in the death of a girl from school. Keep Quiet is all about the split second decision that Jake made at that critical moment which changes everything. But can a secret remain a secret for long? Things begin to unravel when a stranger threatens to expose everything.

Readers will be reminded of The Deepest Secret by Carla Buckley and another book authored by Barbara Delinsky which takes on similar theme but in contrasting style. The twists and turns in the story will keep the reader on the edge of the seat until the final page is turned. All in all, Keep Quiet is an absorbing read with plenty of thrills along the way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., April 22, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars "Gripping"..........., April 8, 2014
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Kindle Edition)
Author Lisa Scottoline wrote a gripping novel that asks the question how far will you go, and to what means to protect you child..Even if you know it is morally wrong..What starts out as a serious, thought provoking family drama soon to turns into an intense psychological, mystery that had me turning the pages...Many unexpected twist and turns with a shocking ending that I didn't see coming...She depicts a family's foundation slowly cracking under the weight of lies, deceit, and dark hidden secrets...Very emotional story that had you actually feeling their pain, guilt, and sorrow especially the son's who wanted to do the right thing..So, sometimes I had mixed feelings over the parent's decision..I thought Pam the mother who was a State Judge would have made more rational sense...Who knows how any parent would react to a similar situation..

Jake and Ryan will be riding driving home late at night and a tragic accident will occur, within a split second a decision will be made that will change the course of lives for everyone involved..Jake Buckman thinks he is doing the best thing for his son..Will go to any lengths to keep it that way until a second party steps in and threatens their whole world..Now they have another problem on they hands to worry about...How long can they Keep Quiet.....

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely unbelievable characters, May 20, 2014
DSG100 (Destin, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Hardcover)
I will take great care to write this without spoilers although after you read this review you may not want to read the book anyway. The characters and the dialogues in this book are in no way believable or realistic. The first night we meet Pam who is a know-it-all nag who continues to harp on her husband even after he says he doesn't want to talk. She goes on and on and preaches and lectures and you just want to smack her. Her character doesn't get any better and it is absolutely unclear why her husband Jake cherishes his marriage. The conversation with the son Ryan's coach at the bathroom at a basketball game is absolutely ridiculous. No coach would take time away from a game to say such stupid things to a dad, and no dad would take it. After every conversation I found myself wondering, "Who SAYS that?!" Also frustrating is the way Jake won't talk to his employees when they need him.. I guess we're supposed to think he's so stressed he can't work anymore but all I could think of was "Get a grip, man!" I stuck with it, saw the plot twist coming a mile away, and when I put it down my only thought was, "I'm glad that's over."

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Kindle Edition)
Let me begin by saying I have read all of Lisa Scottoline's books and have enjoyed them each and every one. This one however, was a huge disappointment. The writing is not up to par and the characters are just annoying. Pam Ryan in particular is hard to bear. She is a whiny perfectionist who thinks she is better than everyone else. It could have been a great story but was really less than mediocre.

1.0 out of 5 stars A late night I will never get back...spoilers., September 4, 2014
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Hardcover)
I'm grateful that this was a library book. I have only read one or two of Ms. Scottoline's books over thirty years and now I remember why.

Unlike some other reviewers, I have no complaint with the basis of the story. Arguing that the author shouldn't have employed a hit and run because other books have also is like saying "Huckleberry Finn" should have used a less utilized metaphor than a river. It's not the facts, it's what the author does with them.

I believe that many parents would have let their children drive on an empty road. I believe that many parents' first instinct would have been to lie to protect a child.

After that, I stopped believing. There was no circumstance under which a character whom we would ever care about again would leave that young woman behind and allow his son to watch that happen.

Lie upon lie upon lie. Stupidity upon stupidity upon stupidity. Clearly, we are meant to feel for the bundle of whiny neuroses which is Jake, and to try to understand how his self-pity justifies the torture to which he subjects his son Ryan, the only character in the novel with any sort of moral compass.

And Pam is awful--smug, smarmy, sanctimonious and a pedantic pain in the butt. I had forgotten Scottoline's annoying habit of abruptly stopping action to have a character explain a finer point of the law as though the reader were sitting in Con Law I. That Pam's ego is so enlarged that she would put her son and husband through an FBI investigation without even pausing to consider the strain on them is overshadowed only by her ludicrous position that letting your kid drive on a learner's permit is somehow a greater transgression than sleeping with your son's coach, lying about it, and carelessly allowing your son to find out about it.

The only way anybody was going to escape intact in this book was if the poor victim was already dead when Ryan ran over her, so it was clear from the second chapter that that would happen. Pam's oversharing with and sycophancy toward Dr. Dave makes Jake the only poor fool who doesn't know his wife is cheating on him. Only a genuine suspension of disbelief allows the possibility that anyone would WANT to sleep with her (does she ever shut up?), particularly once you learn that Dr. Dave is a pedophile and Pam would be out of his age range.

Nothing in this book rings true, although I really liked the dog. Unfortunately, he couldn't carry the whe story alone. Poor guy--stuck with these people.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I will remember, April 20, 2014
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Kindle Edition)
This book is a "10". I could not put it down, well written and keeps the reader in suspense and anguish throughout. It clearly demonstrates how complex simple actions can become. I'm still thinking about all the facets of this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars had potential but missed by a mile, May 15, 2014
Wiener (Hammond, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Kindle Edition)
When you don't like the characters in a book, it's hard to get through to the end. The writing seemed childish at times: "Crak! Crack! Crack! went the sound of the gun". OMG really? Anyone who was married to the mother in this book would throw THEMSELVES in front of a moving car.

I won't be reading any more of this author's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Quiet rules, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Kindle Edition)
What a ride this book was. I loved it. The first part of the book was heartbreaking and I couldn't figure out how it could resolve. This book brings heartache to any mom. A reminder how quickly our lives can change. Great read.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Stars would be my preference, July 28, 2014
This review is from: Keep Quiet (Kindle Edition)
I have read many of Scottoline's books and enjoyed them. I cannot finish this one. I made it to the end of Chapter 11 and will not waste anymore time to finish the book. I understand angst in a novel and creating suspense but this is way beyond. The repetition of the situation and the lie upon lie upon lie is too outrageous. In this day and age, as is clearly demonstrated by TV crime dramas, the behaviors of the father would surely be found out quickly. Not a believable storyline - at all.

Keep Quiet
Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottoline (Hardcover - April 8, 2014)
$27.99 $19.03