Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Keep Your Teenager Out of Trouble and What to Do if You Can't
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 9, 2001
I've read several books on teens over the years, but this is the first one I've come across that addresses almost every parenting concern that I've had over the past few years. Bernstein tells the reader exactly what to do in challenging situations and how to go about it. It's filled with examples of real life situations and goes into detail about certain aspects of the teenage years which I had overlooked.
I feel this book is a wonderful guide for any parent struggling with teenage issues--day to day concerns, or the more serious issues. The author really understands teenagers and it comes across throughout the book. The chapter on communication should be required reading for all parents. I just finished reading this book and am planning on keeping it around for a long time. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well some of the suggestions on limit setting and dealing with drinking works with my own teenage son (who is a handful at times)It's a wonderful reference for all parents and I think everyone should read it. Maybe it'll finally give parents the edge over their teens again!
on April 1, 2002
I stumbled across this book on a sale rack and after thumbing through it, realized it offered more information than the dozen other books on raising teens that I'd read. This is one book that does not pull any punches, and confirms the idea that sometimes parents HAVE tried everything, and still their child is acting in such an extreme manner that the home setting is not the best for either child or parents and siblings. My husband and I had been considering an outside placement for our 16 yr. old son, and this book helped us decide how to proceed, with guidelines on locating a facility best suited to our son's needs and ours.
If you are looking at exteme, oppositional and defiant behavior, this book will give you the tools to make an informed decision to get your child's life back on track. Our son is now placed at a therapeutic boarding school relearning the fundamental values of honesty, respect for himself and others, and accountability.
on January 10, 2002
Psychologist Niel Bernstein can be grouped with the best advisers we know (Spock, Brazelton). His experience, knowledge, and writing skills together have produced a wonderful book for parents, who, after all, have most to do and say about what happens with the teens they raise. Outstanding!
on October 6, 2005
I saw Dr. Bernstein on the NBC Katie Couric special on teens and sex a few months ago. I liked the way he provided sound and practical advise on dealing with difficult situations. After reading the book, I felt there really is a way to raise teens effectively without feeling that everything has to be a battle. This book is really true to its title. It offers parents a user friendly approach which is forthright and filled with everyday examples of how to handle challenging situations. I enjoyed reading it and highly recommend it to other parents.
on July 10, 2012
I read this book as a young adult, with no kids and I thought it was brilliant then. I think it's a must read for any parent of a teenager. I love how the author spends time explaining the differences in parenting a child and parenting a teenager. The best book of its kind.
on December 11, 2004
As an author and therapist working with teens and their families for the past twenty years, I am constantly looking for resources for parents. This no-nonsense book can help parents when they are at their most desperate by offering real-life solutions to the problems they most frequently face. For support of a more spiritual nature, check out my daily meditations, as together we try to survive this amazing and challenging time in our lives, and the lives of our teens.
on March 10, 2007
This is a good book. But in some parts it is a decade behind. Our kids and teens are growing up so fast, we can not keep up with the change. This book does have some good hints, helpful ideas and things that will help you to look past the area they are now and where they may be heading.
on November 13, 2012
This helped my wife and I with our daughter. She is now on a better path and hopefully will become the outstanding person she was meant to be.
on January 17, 2010
This book provides sensible, practical advice that, as a parent, I can apply when dealing with my 'difficult' 13 y.o.
I like the fact that it provides lots of examples and scenarios of typical teenage situations. I'm sure I won't remember the exact words quoted in the book when I'm in the same situation, but I'm hoping I can remember the intent, despite the heat of the moment.

I have recommended this book to friends who also have teenage children.

Note for Australian parents - I found this book culturally appropriate for us too.
on July 6, 2015