5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, interesting, and a pleasure to read!
This is a great bit of nature/science/travel writing. Who knew there were so many kinds of bees, in so many places? Packer has traveled the world hunting for new or little known species of bees, and has many great stories to tell.

Published 13 months ago by Quintus Horatius Flaccus

2.0 out of 5 stars ... of the types of bees so i did not enjoy most of the book
i could not keep track of the types of bees so i did not enjoy most of the book. i do think EVERYONE should read the final chapter.
Published 2 months ago by Regina Marrero

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, interesting, and a pleasure to read!, December 14, 2013
This review is from: Keeping the Bees (Hardcover)

It's also an important book - many bees are under threat due to human activities, but reading doom-and-gloom accounts won't motivate most people. This is a joyous work by someone who really loves his subject, that still gives you the serious facts - a most pleasant way to learn about important issues facing the world. Plus, the book gives you all kinds of ideas for things you can do in your garden or town to help bees survive.

Personal bias noted: I'm a friend of Laurence Packer's, and have been enjoying his story-telling about his travels for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping the Bees, September 12, 2014
This review is from: Keeping the Bees: Why All Bees Are at Risk and What We Can Do to Save Them (Paperback)
I thought that I knew a lot about bees but when I read this book, I discovered my ignorance. I learned a great deal about bees that I had not heard anything about regardless of their immense importance. We have been careless about the creatures that sustain so many of our interests. The productivity of farms and orchards is utterly dependent on bees and yet we cause them to die off in hundreds of thousands. Lawrence Packer has provided important information that we must have to protect these pollinators.

5.0 out of 5 stars More reasons bees are fascinating!, January 13, 2015
I read this book because I wanted to know more about types of bees besides the honeybee. The author is engaging and humorous. He obviously has a large amount of respect for his students and colleagues in the field. I really enjoyed reading this!

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, fun read, December 3, 2014
well written, extremely interesting book on pollinators from around the world - quite anthropological as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it if you are into bees, January 19, 2015
Erik Brown (Gainesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Enjoyable book and lots of facts about bees. I had trouble following along at times, which is why I gave it four stars. Each chapter is organized around a capability of bees, which struck me as a bit awkward since numerous species from around the world are presented in the same chapter. As a result it is hard to follow a cohesive story through the book. Definitely chocked full of bee facts, and the final chapter summarizes what we can do to help the bees, which I quite liked.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Everyone Should Know, September 19, 2014
mudskipper (Thousand Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Accessible and very well written, a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like to eat read this., July 30, 2014
Very informative.In the last chapter the author tells us what we can do to help the honey and native bees. If you like to eat,you'll want to become informed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is "The Bees Knees", October 15, 2014
Excellent, informative, amusing. I had heard the author interviewed on the radio, so was eager to read his book. I enjoy a wide range of natural history subjects, and particularly enjoy watching bees foraging on blossoms. Now that I have read the book, I am a better informed bee watcher.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a fun read., September 2, 2014
Very informative and engaging. It's a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 13, 2014