5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Story about Embracing Differences
Published on May 10, 2012 by Wendy S. Russo

2.0 out of 5 stars More for Urban Fantasy readers, than those of hot romance...
( I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review )
I can't say Keir was a fit with me. There was nothing wrong with Pippa Jay's writing or the story, in fact I imagine readers of sci-fi and urban fantasy will enjoy this! For me being a reader of romance there were few points that didn't quite do it for me. I do read the occasional sweet...
Published on September 15, 2012 by Niina "For The Love of Rea...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Story about Embracing Differences, May 10, 2012
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
A broken, emaciated man lies in the shadows of a sewer, trapped behind iron gates. Persecuted every day of his life for the color of his skin, Keirlan de Corizi is taunted even in his last, lonely hours. He wishes for death to claim him. Death denied him. When an odd young woman named Quin is tossed into his cell, he is confounded by her light regard for her situation. She claims she can get out of anywhere and promises to take him with her. At the moment, he doesn't have enough energy left in his body to hope that she can. There's much he doesn't understand in their first day together. Why does she drag him out of the sewer to freedom? Why does she care for him after their escape? Why does she refuse to leave him behind when his deteriorating condition guarantees she will be recaptured. But, she keeps her promise and takes him home with her. The man known as the `Blue Demon' of Adalucien has one moment of peace and is grateful for it even as he fades away.

Keir wakes up in a strange room where he is treated gently by a woman with purple hair and fangs. She gives him clothes and introduces him to others in the compound. They are all very different...from him, the Andalucian, and each other. Strays, the kind woman calls them. He finds his savior, Tarquin Secker sitting alone in a garden. He wants to be near her. Having avoided other people all of his life, the desire terrifies him.

I seldom cast books as I read, but in this case, both leads quickly acquired living models. For me, Keir is Orlando Bloom in Nightcrawler (X-men) make-up, complete with symbols carved and inked in his skin. Quin is Bryce Dallas Howard channeling the 12th incarnation of Dr. Who. That's more about me than Pippa Jay or her delightful novel, but I felt like sharing.

Keir is a clever amalgamation of science fiction plot devices, fantasy realms, and literary themes. It is built within a construct of futuristic devices, fantastic locations, and alien power sufficiently advanced to be considered magic. At it heart, though, it is a character driven story about embracing differences. Over the course of our lives, humans acquire memory, fears, and regrets. We either overcome our mistakes and our losses, or they overwhelm us. The one thing we cannot turn time back on them. We cannot abandon or undo them, as much as we'd like to. They become part of us, define who we are, and inform our relationships with other people. Keirlan de Corizi symbolizes a personal demon, and finding in Quin a kindred soul, he feels drawn to her and trusts her well before he learns the first details of her many secrets.

First, they must survive Keir's home planet, a world contemporary with pre-Industrial Europe, where everyone is human, where the powerful rule the masses by force, superstition, and fear of things they don't understand. In Pippa Jay's universe, Andalucian is the exception, not the rule.

Keir reminded me of Dr. Who in many ways, Stargate SG-1 in others. I would sincerely recommend this book to fans of either series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Redemption, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
This is a story of tortured souls, love and redemption. On a strange world Quin, a human traveller who moves among the stars on a quest for a lost friend, discovers Keir, an outcast in his society. All Keir wants to do is die, believing himself condemned and cursed, while Quin soon wishes to save him, having seen a glimpse of who he really is.

From this starting point follows an adventure that will warm science fiction and romance readers alike. As one hops between planets with this delightful pair, Pippa Jay sketches the different worlds with her pen, bringing them vividly to life. She does no less with each character, drawing one into their minds with ease.

I really enjoyed this book, Pippa Jay's debut novel, and as there are several unanswered questions, I hope there will be more to come from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, I hope to see more, July 21, 2012
Chani (Reno, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
I rarely write reviews, most stories aren't worth the time - this story, however is. This was a unique story with emotional and philosophical content. The action was fast paced and the characters were beautifully flawed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
I had this book sitting on my TBR list for way too long (you can blame 'Game of Thrones' - who writes 1000 page novels! Goodness!). Once I got around to reading it I realized quickly that I should have gotten to this book WAY earlier. I was definitely missing out on something special. Once I started I couldn't put it down. I think I finished it in four quick stints - okay, five, tops.

Great elements of mystery and adventure abound, right from the start. And love, too. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that. Hey, this is SFR, right! Who is Keir? What's his story? And who is this mystery woman and why does she seem to care for him? These are the questions asked at the beginning and propel the story forward.

Ms. Jay does a terrific job of following up and delivering on those questions too, always feeding just enough information to keep the pages turning as the story of these two individuals unfolds. The world of Keir is vivid and believable, with just the right amount of description and colouring - never overdone or expository.

I really dug this book, and (if your fans of science-fiction/adventure/romance definitely urge you to give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Altogether Keir proves to be a pageturner, May 4, 2012
Bec's Review

This book reads more like two shorter stories as opposed to the novel it is, albeit two sequential short stories. While this may put some people off, in that the major plot seems to change halfway through with the first half dealing with Keir's heritage and parentage, I still found myself enjoying the story (or stories). Even with the two halves seeming to have few connections in terms of plot beyond the shared main characters, both halves have a way of drawing you in and making you wish read more.

One aspect of the book did feel a little rushed to me and that was the romance between Keir and Quin. Very early on it is obvious that a relationship between them is on the cards, and while this relationship is a while in coming the progression of the relationship moves, in my opinion, far too quickly from not knowing the other is attracted to declaring lifelong love.

Beyond that aspect though I really did enjoy Keir. I found the characters interesting, though I would have liked them to be a little more fleshed out personality wise. While it does claim to be science fiction, I find it is more in line with other Fantasy stories, but if you enjoy Fantasy or Science Fiction books then this one could be for you. There's magic, romance, multiple worlds, a mysterious being and many different races of beings thrown into the mix. Altogether Keir proves to be a pageturner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic journey awaits!, May 10, 2013
Patrick Stutzman (Independence, MO, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
How can I describe the masterpiece that is Keir and do it justice? Honestly, I can't. You have to read it for yourself to witness the journey of discovery, liberation, and wonder on your own and see that love conquers all. Pippa crafted an amazing story, and you will be denying yourself the chance to read a truly great book if you don't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted, entertaining and gripping from the first line., September 10, 2013
This review is from: Keir (Paperback)
Well crafted, entertaining and gripping from the first line.

The author invites the reader to visit a world where disparate beings cohabitate peacefully and productively. Though gifted with powerful abilities which are reserved for benign and beneficial uses, they abhor violence. Then Keir and Quin are thrown into the mix together, as it were. The later cognizant of her abilities and responsible in their use, the former soon to become aware of the tremendous powers he possesses and engage in the struggle to control them as they emerge.

The atrocities meted upon Keir as a child, for being different, no less, were the first in a series of events which left him outcast, isolated and later imprisoned. Quin's coming to his rescue was the first step in the development of a very sweet romance, with a few rough patches, though none-the-less heart warming. As the affection-turned-love between them grew, Keir learned acceptance of who he was and that he had value as does every living being.

Keir

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Sci-Fi Adventure Romance, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
Now this is what a Sci-Fi Romance should really be like. For 266 pps, I was immersed into a nearly unrecognizable world, races, societies, adventures, and in-depth characterizations, yet it felt familiar too.

Keir, known as the Blue Demon of Adalucien, has given up and just wants to die until a feisty red-headed female gets tossed into his cell with him announcing that she's going to break them out. And break them out she does, in a manner of speaking and a little help from him. Quin, the female accused of witch-craft for her unusual hair and abilities, refuses to let him die and drags him along in her escape. The escape not only takes them through a few harrowing adventures, but through an incredible gate to the stars.

Quin has dragged Keir's dying body through the gate and back to her planet and refuses the idea of him dying on her after all that. She sought the Blue Demon and she found him, but he is not what she expected at all. He is no powerful being who evilly manipulates all he can for more power. No, he is a gentle distrustful man who has been tortured and abused for his differences and has never been allowed a normal or happy life. Against all logic, Quin uses her gift to save Keir and in doing so binds them with ties that can never be undone.

Keir cannot believe his new turn of circumstances and struggles to adjust even as he secretly yearns for more from his new companion and telepathic partner, Quin. He learns of Quin's quest and determines to help her even while fearing that his dark heritage will cause harm. He wonders if Quin's light is strong enough to withstand his darkness.

The plot was one that had several change in locations in it that make the story seem more of a quest-style telling. The perspective changed frequently and had several narrators. Normally, I prefer only a couple narrators, but in this story it worked because it showed how all the divergent plot threads came together and also let dialogue explain the world-building instead of just paragraph after paragraph of description. The pacing changed up depending on the type of scene which kept things interesting. I liked how the story was adventure, character growth and romance. Quin is Keir's guide, but as the story progresses their roles change to that of companions and then lovers just as she is the stronger of the two in the beginning until his inner strength, confidence and abilities come. My emotions were really engaged from the beginning when Keir's plight and then Quin's past became known. I loved them separately and together. It was fun meeting the other races and worlds too. The dark mysteriousness of the Emissary was intriguing and I guessed who it was rather quickly. I felt such pity even though this personage was wrapped in evil. The romance in this one was sweet and was 'fade to black' when passion did flare up. I could have stayed along for Keir and Quin's travels and quests indefinitely.

All in all, it was a fabulous read that I can recommend to Sci-Fi lovers who enjoy stronger world-building and character development with their romance on the sweeter side.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars !!!!!!, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
Keir is fantastic debut from Pippa Jay! I thoroughly enjoyed this fast-moving, action-packed adventure that I could not put down!

Quin is a smart, confident, strong women who has been travelling to distant worlds and other times through gateways opened with her special abilities. She has suffered loss but has survived 300 years of life. Keir is a young man who has been persecuted all his life because was born with blue skin.

When Quin and Keir hook up, both of their lives are changed forever. The find they share a twisted heritage that makes them more similar than different and ultimately binds them together in a way that will both help and hinder their relationship.

Together Quin and Keir face persecution, betrayal, and capture. All the while, they become closer and stand together to face their foes - to the death if necessary.

Personally, I didn't quite get the romantic connection between the young Keir and the 300-year old Quin. But that did not prevent me from enjoying both of these characters with all their flaws and their strengths. They were well-developed and complex. I don't know if they are present in the sequel, Gethyon, but there is certainly some potential for further adventures.

You get to visit several worlds and meet a few non-human beings in this book. There is a wonderfully dark and dismal medieval-like world, complete with a belief system that is directly out of the middle ages. Another world has castles made of coral and sea serpents. Ms. Jay's imaginative scene setting is a delight!

Honestly, if I had not just read a 5-star book, I might have awarded 5 stars to this book, but it wasn't quite that good. However, Keir is a great book and if you like fantasy and romance, you should read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, June 8, 2013
Cass (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keir (Paperback)
I really enjoyed "Keir". It reminded me of some of Anne McCaffrey's books, which are sci-if that was light on the science but with a consistent romantic element. I'd forgotten with my recent urban fantasy kick how much I enjoy that combination.

The romance is a slow burn, not a love at first sight thing, which I prefer - although I did start wanting to shake both characters (but especially Keir) to get them to just GET ON WITH IT a chapter or two before they actually did.

The world building is great; I especially enjoyed Metraxi but there are a few to choose from. And the characters are interesting, with back stories that give them lots of issues (read: character development arcs).

Ultimately the underlying message of the story is about acceptance: finding those who will accept you despite your differences, and - by seeing yourself through their eyes - learning to accept yourself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Keir
Keir by Pippa Jay (Paperback - July 7, 2012)
Out of stock