• Keith

Keith
Format: DVDChange
Price:$7.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 25, 2011
I don't pretend to be someone who's big into online commentary. In fact, I'm 29 and this is the first review I've ever written. Although I do consider myself a movie buff, I've never felt the need to comment on any of the movies I've seen, simply because most of them were forgettable. Sure, at the time, I may have thought certain films were outstanding,even moving. But nothing, and I mean nothing, has ever caused me to feel so passionate and so involved as this movie. It haunts me still! I find myself thinking about it in the middle of my work day, causing me to smile, or shed a quiet tear.

I recently lost my best friend to illness (not cancer but similar) and it's been almost a year. I haven't cried over her. I continue on with my life thinking if I just push forward and don't feel anything, that things will be okay. When I stumbled upon this movie on netflix, I thought it would be a cheezy teen indie dramedy similar to countless others I've seen and at best, it will atleast put me to sleep quickly (I'm an insomniac). Suddenly, I stepped into Keith's world and found myself enthralled.

The acting was superb to say the least, and while I did enjoy Elisabeth Harnois' performance, I have to say that Jesse McCartney was phenomenal as Keith. His performance was impeccable, and so incredibly believable. The chemistry between these two was electric. I felt it's waves coming at me through the TV set. I can go on to discuss the writing, plot, beautiful imagery, etc, etc. But, we love movies not simply for what they are, but for the way they make us FEEL. This movie touched me and awakened a place in me that I thought had died a year ago, with my best friend. After seeing this movie, something happened. My heart opened up, and I felt sad, and happy, and full again. I must have cried for hours after that movie ended, and that night, I had the best sleep I've had in a year. If you're tired of the same old thing, and you, like me are looking for something, something REAL, and TRUE, and moving, then please, see this movie. And remember its true message: That above all things, LOVE in its TRUEST and DEEPEST form, never dies.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2010
Keith is a movie about teenagers in high school, but it is not a high school movie. Reviewers who put it into that category, or who recommend it for teenagers only, are missing the point. The characters could be almost any age and in almost any situation, and very little else would have to change. Having them be attractive teenagers only means more people will see the movie, which is good.

Keith is one of the most beautiful, powerful, serious, joyful, triumphant, and universally relevant movies any of us will ever see. It is about what it means to be a human being in a random world, about how it feels to be inside--and outside--a powerful social and political system.

But above all Keith is about love--not the phony, sentimental melodrama of Hollywood romance, and not the impulsive, hormone-fueled engine of adolescence, but the love that selects two people, draws them together into one, and carries them together through every challenge that comes against them. Keith is about real joy and real pain, about life and death and everything in between.

Keith is a remarkable and very rare work of art. Every word, every gesture, every expression on every actor's face, every scene, every moment of this movie is perfect. Characters emerge and develop and grow and interact and fail and overcome as they should in every movie but almost never do.

I've been watching and loving movies for almost 60 years, and I've seen thousands of great ones, but if I could keep only one DVD in my collection, Keith would be it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2009
If you're looking for something unpredictable, gut-wrenching, utterly wonderful,and something to fall in love with, then this is the movie for you. The words the characters speak, speak true to you even if your story doesn't match theirs. Both of the actors were so set in themselves and in the story that to me it was top notch acting. I without a doubt, advise you to watch this movie, and dare you to let it move you the way it moved me. Excellent, 5 stars.
on December 15, 2010
I'm older than any of you. I can tell that by just reading what most of you wrote. The only McCartney I have ever heard of is Paul. But just the same, I loved this film. It reminded me of Sweet November (not the monstrosity created by Keannu Reeves, who couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, but the original 1968 version with Anthony Newly - another excellent film)

I've read the one star reviews of Keith and in my opinion the reviewers are either mentally challenged or simply never considered looking beyond the surface of a story.

This is what most reviewers here don't see. Harnois lived in a box. Her values were determined by what she was told from early childhood they should be. Success meant going to a top 10 University, doing well academically, and scoring with the guys. She was happy in this artificial world until someone from the outside came knocking.

In McCartney's world success meant waking up for the next day. He dealt with his affliction by humorous and sarcastic deflection. At the same time he liked Harnois and decided to introduce himself into her plastic world.

As you see the two of them slowly falling in love with each other - one knowingly, the other unconscious of it - you begin to see Harnois breaking the shell which kept her prisoner which she never knew was there. Her love causes her to break out of societies paradigm and discover what living life on her own terms is like. As the movie ends she is living it out on McCartney's terms but you know she will soon break out into her own.

It's a journey of self-discovery and in the end is truly a joyful film, well acted and well written. Hell, I even liked the music!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 9, 2012
Teen love is so fragile and vulnerable. Kids don't know who they are, so they let others write their bios and define their image. Given the amazing talent of the two main characters, this is in my top 20 movies of all time. It nails the excruciating ordeals of the high school experience. It is subdued, eloquent, evocative and haunting.

The brilliant and playful young Keith is in chemo and faces a death sentence. He has been in love with Nathalie since grade school, but she never "saw" him, so as a dying wish he asks his science teacher to make her his lab partner. Their sublime chemistry is kismet: each brings the other to life. He could accept his death sentence until he realizes she loves him, then death becomes hateful and bitter. But despite losing his fight, he changes the course of her life.

A masterpiece!
on April 21, 2009
Keith is a film about Natalie(Elisabeth Harnois) and Keith(Jesse McCartney) two high school kids on opposite ends of the social spectrum. Natalie is a star tennis player, yearbook editor, college scholarship award-ee and all around popular girl with a new hunky athlete boyfriend, Keith on the other hand is a social outcast with an affinity for rebuilding cars. When Keith and Natalie are paired as lab partners, their whole lives start to change.

Though Natalie tries her best to keep her distance, something mysterious and magnetic continues to drag Keith more and more into her life, uncovering dark secrets along the way.

Keith is a slightly darker version of 'A Walk to Remember', although I just think I might prefer Keith. The tragedy and pain in this movie is so perfectly conveyed, though the plot might not be entirely original.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with Jesse McCartney's acting, as Keith he really embodied a snarky, cynical teenager without making him the slightest bit unlikeable. I couldn't tear my eyes away whenever he was on the screen.

It's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it IS good.
on August 28, 2011
First of all I have to say that this is my first review ever. I write it for just one simple reason: "Keith" touched my heart.
I haven't watched a movie in a lifetime that made me think about it for days and weeks. I haven't seen a film that made me want to watch it over and over again... Until I watched "Keith" for the first time.
The film is about everything that life's about. Friendship, opportunities, losses, changes... and overall it's about love.
"Keith" is playing in a highschool scene, but it's not a highschool romance at all. Of course there are the popular kids and the outsiders, of course Natalie is one of the it-girls, tennis crack, yearbook writer, with a bright future lying in front of her. And of course Keith is the total opposite...
As far as I can see that's the only similarity to other teen romances or teen dramas.
Everything else is just amazing, surprising, mindblowing. The love story of Keith and Natalie touched my heart and my soul like nothing else ever did before. "Keith" is sad, but I didn't cry. "Keith" is funny, but I didn't laugh out loud. "Keith" is silent, and that's what makes this movie so powerful. I fell in love with Keith as Natalie did and I smiled after Keith left as Natalie did. You might get the feeling that Keith can change your own life as much as he did with Natalie's.
This movie is full of hope, and that's what I like about it. It is possible to leave the given paths, it is possible to find love at the strangest places, it is possible to move on to a better life. It is possible to find the one person who can look through your build up walls and break them down. It is possible to enjoy the given time with the one person you love, even when the time is much too short.
5 stars for the story, 5 stars for the actors, 5 stars for love...
One of the reviewers wrote that he would keep "Keith" if he could keep just one of his dvds... I second that. I would do exactly the same. I would keep the best movie I've ever watched!
on August 8, 2009
The movie was beautiful, one of my FAVORITES in a while. I will definitely buy it.

It is similar to a Walk to Remember, but it is less chick-flicky... more of the Indie feel where it's at a slower pace, shows emotions, does not have a Hollywood story-telling style like something such as Maid in Manhatten (not so straight forward, guy meets girl, happy ending). It's deeper, it's less happy, but it's more beautiful because of that.

It is a little predictable though, but I think that doesn't matter... the emotions.. the calmness of the film, it holds its own beauty. It's not a crazy-new Indie.. (jarring, shaky or anything). It still has beautiful camera work, and it just.. feels REAL. The drama is real, the emotions are stronger, the film is a lot more moving. I'm almost 21, and I thought the high school drama would be too much, but it's not. If you like chick flicks, but you also like to think and feel, watch Keith.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2012
Keith is one of my favorite films. Yes, it is sad. I'm surprised by how many reviewers were put off by the fact that this movie isn't a particularly happy one. I urge those who intend to watch Keith to consider this before viewing the film. Essentially, if you are expecting a happy romance with two perfect characters, this is the wrong movie for you.

A lot of reviewers also seem put off by the character of Keith himself. I urge new viewers to try to understand Keith's attitude and to see how he positively affects Natalie (and vice versa) before making judgments about him. Keith often comes across as a jerk whose sole intention is to ruin the life of an honor student who is doing pretty well for herself. In many ways, he does just that. Here's what you have to remember: Keith is jealous of Natalie and the opportunities she has ("Is Duke fair? Is Europe fair?") I hardly think Keith's intentions are really to hurt Natalie, but he does have some level of bitterness toward her. Again, do not expect perfect characters: Keith is realistically flawed.

Also, while Keith's actions may have hurt Natalie to a degree, he also reminds her of the importance of living life for happiness in my opinion. Others may disagree, but I feel that Keith taught Natalie to take life a little less seriously and maybe she did the opposite for him. The two are certainly opposites, but that's why they work so well together - they are able to change each other for the better.

As for the acting, Jesse McCartney shines as Keith. I'm truly impressed by his acting here. You can see the conflicting emotions he feels during the entire film through his facial expressions, which makes me empathize and appreciate Keith's point of view more. I like Elisabeth Harnois as well, but I think I've actually preferred her in less serious roles than this one and I think she shines most during the more humorous scenes in Keith. Most of the other characters in the film are likable. I was not particularly off-put by any of them.

I recommend Keith to those who want to see something other than the run-of-the-mill romance, but who still appreciate romance for what it is. If you appreciate interesting characters who exhibit realistic flaws, this movie's for you. There are certainly plenty of giggle-worthy moments in Keith, but it should not be regarded as a comedy so do not take it as such. Enjoy! :)
on May 1, 2011
What a wonderful movie! I feel that what made this such a beautiful movie is the fact that it has something that we can "all" identify with. We are invited to see something of ourselves in the dramas that unfold. What I loved most was how it beautifully expressed that intangible something, that force that can powerfully unhinge us from the superficial, trival things that don't really matter.

Natalie represents that part of us that does care about what people think about us. The part that is limited and constricted by our own expectations. Keith, on the other hand, is that aspect that wants to live today as if it was the very last. Two, very different, seemingly opposite personalities, yet this force (Love) that brought them together, shakes all of their identifications loose. Suddenly none of that superficial stuff matters anymore, all of the egocentric constrictions fall off. I don't want to give away too much, but there is one part in the movie that caused my cheecks to get soaked with tears! And I never cry! I think that reason is that deep in our heart, we know that "true," "pure," "unconditional" love can be the light that casts away all shodow aspects of our psyche.

All of the actors played their roles very well. The tears, facial expressions, all drew me in and made the emotional curretns believable. I was vicariously living this play and breathed a sigh at the end. I felt blessed to be Spirit living this human experience, to be able to savor and fully appreciate this love song that life really is.

Enjoy the movie, but make sure that you have plenty of tissues next to you!

OneTaste