5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book ever!
The story of Helen Keller and her life of silence and darkness is told wonderfully in this book. I first read this books when I was about 7 (I am now 16) and it is still my absolute favorite book! I have read countless times and my book has fallen apart. This is a great book for anyone!
Published on November 4, 2001 by Katie

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
This is book is an easy read, designed for younger readers.
Published 10 days ago by Kathy L Overose

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book ever!, November 4, 2001
Katie (Phoenix, Az) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, October 15, 2000
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
This book is about a little girl who grew up being blind and deaf. This little girl's name was Helen Keller. Helen grew blind and deaf when she was a little baby. I got very interested about reading how her mother found out that Helen was blind and deaf. The book described how Helen worked her way though her life to be sucessful with goals she wanted to accomplish. I would recomend this to anyone that wanted an easy book to read about Helen Keller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two generations loved this book, June 18, 2003
NYer family (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
My 8 year old just finished this book and was fascinated. I realized as I looked through it that I read it as a child and loved it too (as an 11 year old). My daughter is now eager to learn more about Braille and the consequences of being blind--though I had to ask her not to walk through the kitchen with her eyes closed. She loved the photos and can't wait to read about Annie Sullivan. A great book to show the triumph of the human spirit over adversity--and without pity!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Chapter Book, June 15, 2004
Amy (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
This is the first chapter book I ever read. I am now 13 year olds and when I was in 1st grade I learned to read. In first grade I read this book and was hooked on reading forever after that. So thank you to the author!
This book has 95 pages in it, I remember it seemed so long then!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the most excellent story to teach young readers, March 26, 2000
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
I thought that this book was magnificent! It teaches young readers that they can do anything that they want to do. Never give up, and you will have many advanatages to the people that do give up, for trying to get reach your goal.

4.0 out of 5 stars This touching story teaches young, open minds to value life., October 15, 1998
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
How does one condense the triumphant account of an American heroine into an easy-to-read biography? Chronologically spanning Helen Keller's lifetime, Davidson focuses on Keller's crucial early years, when Annie Sullivan first unlocked Helen's world of darkness. Colorful dialogue will excite third and fourth grade readers; Helen advises such young readers to "taste every bit of food as if tomorrow you would never smell or taste again." The presence of such actual quotations is confounded by Davidson's other paraphrased dialogue between Mrs. Keller and Ms. Sullivan; The lack of a bibliography, or even mention of Keller's infamous The Story Of My Life hampers children's further explorations. Davidson's use of "blind children," and "deaf boys and girls," appropriate to Helen's era violates the principle of people-first language appropriate for today's reader, and should be noted by adults. Still, intermediate readers gain insight from the accurate classic photographs at the back of the book while younger listeners enjoy the decorative black and white sketches complementing the story line. Both reader and listener may open their minds through Helen's viewpoint that "the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched," but "must be felt with the heart." This touching, real-life story teaches young, open minds to value life and seize every opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen Keller Inspiring, April 21, 2009
T. M. Hammond "Teresa" (Vestaburg, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
As a child I was unable to read a chapter book until I was in the forth grade. I have dislexia though I have learned some stratigies for overcoming it. I still have the copy my teacher gave to me copy righted 1969. This book inspired me and it was because of this book that I owe so much. After reading this book in elementary school I began reading more books about Helen Keller as well as other Famous Americans who for their time as children were considered "dumb or dunces". It was this book that opened doors for me that had been closed. I am now an avid reader as well as an educatior of young children with special needs. I am now 34 years old. It is my hope that this book will continue to inspire childre for a very long time. As a companion to this book you may want to consider Dear Dr. Bell...Your friend, Helen Keller by Judith St. George.(a book of friendship and love between the two of them.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine good book, October 27, 1998
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
I thought this story was great! Because it was true, it was sad, but happy in the end. It was a great story of how Helen Keller adjusted to her life and did everything she ever wanted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, February 13, 2009
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
This book was used in our middle school resource room. The students thoroughly enjoyed the book and it was a great tool to teach them about the world of the blind and deaf. We had additional activities that included practicing the deafblind manual alphabet and feeling braille greeting cards. The book is very readable, has photographs, and was an exciting experience for our students. I would also recommend using the Walt Disney movie, The Miracle Worker, as a follow-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen Keller (scholastic biography), April 14, 2008
Marlowe (Binghamton, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my niece who is 9 yrs old. Helen Keller was a hero of mine as I was growing up. After reading this book, Helen has become a hero to my niece. Loved it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography)
Helen Keller (Scholastic Biography) by Margaret Davidson (Paperback - April 1, 1989)
$5.99 $4.89