Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 18, 2003
My 8 year old just finished this book and was fascinated. I realized as I looked through it that I read it as a child and loved it too (as an 11 year old). My daughter is now eager to learn more about Braille and the consequences of being blind--though I had to ask her not to walk through the kitchen with her eyes closed. She loved the photos and can't wait to read about Annie Sullivan. A great book to show the triumph of the human spirit over adversity--and without pity!
on November 4, 2001
The story of Helen Keller and her life of silence and darkness is told wonderfully in this book. I first read this books when I was about 7 (I am now 16) and it is still my absolute favorite book! I have read countless times and my book has fallen apart. This is a great book for anyone!
on June 15, 2004
This is the first chapter book I ever read. I am now 13 year olds and when I was in 1st grade I learned to read. In first grade I read this book and was hooked on reading forever after that. So thank you to the author!
This book has 95 pages in it, I remember it seemed so long then!
on October 15, 2000
This book is about a little girl who grew up being blind and deaf. This little girl's name was Helen Keller. Helen grew blind and deaf when she was a little baby. I got very interested about reading how her mother found out that Helen was blind and deaf. The book described how Helen worked her way though her life to be sucessful with goals she wanted to accomplish. I would recomend this to anyone that wanted an easy book to read about Helen Keller.
on October 15, 1998
How does one condense the triumphant account of an American heroine into an easy-to-read biography? Chronologically spanning Helen Keller's lifetime, Davidson focuses on Keller's crucial early years, when Annie Sullivan first unlocked Helen's world of darkness. Colorful dialogue will excite third and fourth grade readers; Helen advises such young readers to "taste every bit of food as if tomorrow you would never smell or taste again." The presence of such actual quotations is confounded by Davidson's other paraphrased dialogue between Mrs. Keller and Ms. Sullivan; The lack of a bibliography, or even mention of Keller's infamous The Story Of My Life hampers children's further explorations. Davidson's use of "blind children," and "deaf boys and girls," appropriate to Helen's era violates the principle of people-first language appropriate for today's reader, and should be noted by adults. Still, intermediate readers gain insight from the accurate classic photographs at the back of the book while younger listeners enjoy the decorative black and white sketches complementing the story line. Both reader and listener may open their minds through Helen's viewpoint that "the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched," but "must be felt with the heart." This touching, real-life story teaches young, open minds to value life and seize every opportunity.
on March 26, 2000
I thought that this book was magnificent! It teaches young readers that they can do anything that they want to do. Never give up, and you will have many advanatages to the people that do give up, for trying to get reach your goal.
on May 9, 2014
This is another book to teach character. It's great to read to the 6-8 year olds and make available for those children who are able read it. Helen Keller shines through so many obstacles, being blind and deaf. She didn’t let that stop her but had marvelous help from her tutor. It’s inspiring! A never forget story.
on October 16, 2013
My second-grader daughter was looking for a book to read at school. I try to get her to read historical/inspirational books and she enjoyed this one. She is only 7, and was intrigued by how a person with no ability to see/hear could get by...and the fact that she got a University degree was one of the main reasons why she wanted to read it. I wish it had more pages, she could have read for much longer...She finished reading it in less than a week. I may just try to find her a different version of Helen Keller's life. I definitely recommend it, a true inspirational book for little girls. A great way to raise awareness about children with different needs.
on April 21, 2009
As a child I was unable to read a chapter book until I was in the forth grade. I have dislexia though I have learned some stratigies for overcoming it. I still have the copy my teacher gave to me copy righted 1969. This book inspired me and it was because of this book that I owe so much. After reading this book in elementary school I began reading more books about Helen Keller as well as other Famous Americans who for their time as children were considered "dumb or dunces". It was this book that opened doors for me that had been closed. I am now an avid reader as well as an educatior of young children with special needs. I am now 34 years old. It is my hope that this book will continue to inspire childre for a very long time. As a companion to this book you may want to consider Dear Dr. Bell...Your friend, Helen Keller by Judith St. George.(a book of friendship and love between the two of them.)
on October 29, 2013
This book was fascinating, and it held my interest as much as my son's when we were reading. The book is straightforward without great illustrations, but the text is well written and is appropriate for elementary school children. After we finished reading the book, my son wanted to look up more information about Helen Keller on the internet!