5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent for Backpacking...
Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:58 Mins
I purchased this tent back in August. I've since used it on a few backpacking trips. I have to be honest, I was not surprised when I got the tent and determined that it was really a one person and a dog tent because tents have always been overrated on space. However, you can fit two people in this tent. You will just be rubbing elbows and...
Published on March 27, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars good basic tent
Tent worked well on a two week trip. It is easy to setup and light enough to pack. I used it for a large one person tent and shared it on two nights. Just large enough for two but the vestibule is small. Spikes are soft and bend too easily, you will have to replace them. I like the front entry. A little condensation on one warm night but otherwise ok. I wish the fly...
Published on July 11, 2009 by Pipestem

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Value Backpacking tent, November 9, 2009
I bought this tent to take backpacking and it has worked out just as I wanted. If you are someone not sure whether to buy a 1-person or 2-person tent this is a great compromise. Yes, there is enough room for 2, but for me and my gear it is perfect. The vestibule is a decent size, and I "could" keep my pack out there, but its nice having everything right next to you inside. At a little over 4 lbs its light enough to carry all day, and when you finally stop to set up camp there's no claustrophobic sack to crawl into. A couple more gear loops would be nice, but there's plenty of room in the pockets at the front of the tent. When fully guyed out it seems to be very sturdy, although it's not supposed to be a mountaineering tent. The floor seems a little thin to me (a positive when it comes to weight), but I cut my own ground cloth from a $4 tarp and don't have to worry about punctures to the floor.

For the price, and with all the features this tent offers I could not find a better deal anywhere (and I tried). As long as you have realistic expectations for how you will use this tent it will be a great home away from home. This was my first kelty tent... but probably won't be my last. I am very satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going strong on 45 trips, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent - 2 Person
I have worked on a trail crew for the past two springs/summers/falls in western Montana, pitching this tent in weather from 19°F to 100°F, in downpours and in snow and everything in between (ie: thunderstorms, hailstorms, windstorms). It has been pitched in gravel beds, grass, dirt, sand, and so forth. This tent has been faithful through all of it.
Here are some pros:
-It is easy and quick to set up. I'd never used a tent before this Kelty, and it took 5 minutes of reading some instructions to figure out how to put it up and pin it in.
-You can use it free standing, or secured to the ground, and both of these options have been helpful.
-The fly is easy to remove (clips in and out) for a nice night under the stars, and the tent mesh is effective at keeping nature's bounty OUT.
-Putting the tent away is all a simple matter of stuffing, and it can be compressed to a fairly small size and is comfortable and easy to hike with.
-The poles have lasted me, without issue, through all 45 or so set ups and tear downs.
-It took 2 years of use for this tent to begin to leak on me, and it only leaks in the corners, it has never leaked from the top, and has never gotten warn out at the top.
-The little tent pockets at the entry are really useful for keeping things organized, as well as the loop at the apex, where I like to hang my down sleeping bag during the day to keep it fluffy.
- I've never woken up wet and/or uncomfortable due to the failure of any part of that tent.
-The vent allows for a nice breeze
- The front entry allows for a lot of privacy even when you have the front door completely open.
- The points where you guy out the tent were well designed and guying the tent out, lends it a lot of extra strength in windy/rainy weather.

Cons:
-Too small for two people and their stuff- the vestibule is good for holding shoes but it won't do a lot for your things...I keep them inside the tent with me when I'm int here by myself.
-Water is funneled from the apex of the tent to the tent corners where it went into the ground for the first few years that I owned the tent, but on its last outing in a bad rainstorm, the water began to leak at the corners and then from the corners, flowed in little streams, to where my tent was weighted own, under my sleeping pad. All I had to do about this was to reseal the corners with some liquid sealant.
- The zippers just SUCK. I've gotten them replaced. They are the worst feature of this tent. They constantly get stuck and misalign the zipper. It is an easy to replace them, however.
- I've religiously used a footprint but know people that haven't with their Kelty Mesa 2, and have paid for it. The bottom of this tent is fairly vulnerable to scrapes, so its good to protect it.
- No instructions for the guylines. I learned how to use them on youtube, and they make the tent function 100x better- it stands up to the wind and rain much better when guyed out.
- The tent stakes are pretty weak bordering on useless in hard ground. I've spent many a trip bending back bent stakes. They are easy enough to replace, though, so that never bothered me too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tent, September 25, 2010
Im a 14 year old boyscout going to philmont this summer. I bought this tent because i hated my troops becausee the were ungodly heavy. the first time i used this tent i was supprised how easy it was to set up.also i like how all the seams are sealed. The one problem about moast good tents are they are very expensive and for a kid with only birthday money it was completely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tent for the price, January 28, 2011
I camp regularly with my son's scout troop. I have been using an REI Camp Dome 5, which is a great tent, but really too large for just one person. Also, it is difficult to pitch by yourself. I purchased the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 based on the good reviews on Amazon, and I have been pleased with it so far. I am 5'11", and this tent is just long enough for me, so if you are over 6 feet tall, you should consider buying a longer tent. Just like all tent ratings, this "2 person" tent is really ideal for one person plus their gear; it would be tight for two, especially if you have any gear you want to keep dry. The tent is lightweight, and I have not had any leakage or moisture problems. It is also very fast and easy to pitch and take down. I bought the matching footprint, which is ridiculously expensive for a little sheet of plastic. Nonetheless, I have found that you should always buy a matching footprint when you buy a tent, because if you wait, then you find that the tent model has been discontinued and there's no longer a matching footprint available. All in all, a good little tent for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Tent for a great price, July 18, 2010
I took this to the Grand Canyon and it poured rain the second day and I was very dry inside, very nice tent and setup is easy that one person can get the job done. The sleeping space isn't that spacious for two, unless you don't mined being close to your partner.I'm 5'8" 237LBS athletic build just a good 5" away from my partner's sleeping bag and no room for gear inside. This tent is really good for 1 person and gear inside or pet. I love this tent, I don't mined the close quarter sleep space. I have yet to see this tent against windy situation so I cannot comment on that part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tent for two., October 1, 2009
I had a Kelty 2 person tent before and loved it. This one is the same only slightly lighter and better screened. Wonderful tent for two normal weight adults. A snap (pun intended) to put up and take down - well stitched and well outfitted (mesh pockets inside for assundries and well designed snaps all around). It is apparently not "ultra-light" but for the money it is awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tent, if you're under 6', July 13, 2011
Like most tents, the person-rating is very limited. Don't expect to comfortably fit two people, but I purchased it to sleep only myself, and it fits me perfectly, and the Vestibule fits my boots and pack very well.
I am 6', and my head and feet are very close to touching the top and bottom of the tent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent!!, May 11, 2011
This review is from: Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent - 2 Person
I went on a six week bike tour through the UK using this tent. This was easy to set up. I'm a pretty tall guy at 6'3 and while the tent felt a little cramped (i.e. I physically could not fit another person in here), it was totally fine with me, my cycling panniers and other gear. The rain fly works beautifully; I was out in heavy thunderstorms and light rain and not a drop got in my tent. The setup is so easy I could do it blindfolded. The only problem I had was that because it is a lightweight design, it was pretty loud and rocked a bit when the heavy wind hit, but then again it showed no signs of tearing damage, proving it's durability. I would recommend this to a one person hiker or cycler concerned with keeping it relatively light and their trip dry and comfortable. This is also an incredible value, I will buy a Kelty again, if this ever shows signs of deteriorating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good overall tent, great tent for the price, January 2, 2011
Excellent tent, unbeatable price. Light enough for backpacking, sets up in minutes, excellent quality. Took it out in 26 degree cold, no serious issues. Had some condensation, but considering the humidity, would have happened to any tent. It seems to vent just fine, but retain some heat in the cold. Looking forward to years of backpacking with this tent. Would purchase again

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent!, December 22, 2010
This tent is really great. On a recent hiking trip I took in the Black Hills of South Dakota, it rained every other day, and this tent held up better than I ever thought. And these rains werent small, but severe thunderstorms. I would trust this tent in almost any weather. It also is very durable. I definately recommend this tent!

Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent - 2 Person