on October 13, 2011
I have been running one of these for over 5 years now and have never had a problem with it.
It is on casters, so is easy to move. It has automatic settings so you can set the room for 25% and up.
The wicks are not that expensive and can be purchased from many suppliers and come folded up so you
have to unfold them and form a circle to fit in the obvious plastic standards that form a circle.
The lower tank and side tank hold around 4 gallons of water, and will put out 12 gallons in a 24 hour period
if set on high which I have never had to do and set it on the lowest (25%) setting. Argo, the lower the setting,
the less you have to refill the side tank.
A word of advice on all humidifiers:
Add vinegar to the mix every other or every third time to cut down on the lime build up. I do this with all my humidifiers and my large whole house evaporative cooler which is basically the same thing. This way I only have to
replace wicks/pads once a year; the swamp cooler pads in summer, and the wicks in winter.
I have tried the no mold additives, and to tell you the truth, nothing works better than good old white vinegar, just like Mom used to say.
Oh yea, one more thing, Go to the Sears web sight to buy the unit, you will save at least $20.00 on the purchase, even with tax.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 16, 2012
I purchased this at Sears and it was $139.95 not the $199.95 from this vendor, how can you justify a $60 price difference?? The first purchase just didn't work, I spent an afternoon trying to make it work an then returned it to Sears. The exchanged one had exactly the same problem, part of the LED was lighted but the functions did not work. I figured I could not be making the same mistake twice, so I took of the top part off and checked the electronics. (There is no surgery to be done here, this part is removable as part of the unit). I found that a wiring harness had not been connected, it could not have come loose during transportation because the wires were tightly placed and immovable and the connector had a snap lock on it. With some difficulty I snapped the connecters together and the humidifier now works like a charm. I am amazed that two units could be manufactured with same mistake!! It is nothing but a manufacturing error, quality control must be nonexistent.

Aside from this major problem, the unit is now functioning well. It has increased the humidity from 24% to 37% in a 1,800 sq. ft. home. I will update this review further down the line.

Update: The unit works fine but it will go through filters about every month, at least here in the desert. Hard water will make them stiff as a board so when "CF", change filter appears on the readout, do it right away as humidifier performance will drop quickly . I run mine at full capacity & fan, you will probably get longer life on the filter if you keep the fan lower and the humidity output lower. They have these at Sears for $12, they seem to have different manufactures but they are all the same. Any one will do.
on March 3, 2014
First of all, I'm not a terrible fan of Sears considering how cheap their junk is made these days, but... My delimna is that my bedroom is around 400 sq feet give or take including the two closets. The ajoining bathroom adds considerable more. However, the killer is my ceiling is at least 14 feet in some places, way more than those little Vicks 1 gallon humidifiers can handle. hint, hint, hint. So after fussing for a day with one of those, well two, I returned them and bought this beast. I have moderately hard water, so I use the Goldon Solution Combination Water Treatment and Bacteriostatic #246 (also available at Sears). Just a few capfuls per two gallon tank refill seems to do the trick. It keeps down the smell and scale deposits. If you're familiar with a swamp cooler (aka, evaporative cooler), this is the same thing, except this runs indoors, sucking dry air and blowing out slightly cooler (about a degree less) moist air. This one is rated at 2500 sq feet (assuming a normal 8 foot ceiling). It works pretty good. I've had it for two weeks now and use it daily. I run it every night in the bedroom with the doors shut (and the room heater running) and every weekend it runs during the day somewhere in the house. My house is around 3000 including the basement. I keep this near a cold air return on the top floor. It seems to keep the top floor around 40% and the main floor (opposite side of house around 35%). Haven't measured the basement lately, but we do keep that door open when we're down there playing on the computer. I have seen that around 30% when this is running. Otherwise, the house was averaging between 16%-25% before this thing arrived. So you can tell that it works. On an average night, it goes through 2 gallons of water. Since this is NOT a heated device, I don't have to worry too much about hard water clogging things up. The additive, in small quantities, really helps with the water quality. You can't smell it, so that's good. Just today, I ran this thing dry on purpose. The LED changed to "F" and stopped displaying the humidity level. It never turned the fan off. No harm, it's just a fan. No heater, no pump, nothing that can break if it runs dry. I took the opportunity to wipe the minor amount of sediment out of the bottom. Wiped, not scrubbed. It's that easy. I can't tell you what it would be like without this additive I use. The filter is pretty clean. The ends are a little yellow and hard. I flip it once a week. Someone else using this solution claims the filter lasts two months (instead of one) if using this solution. I plan on running this filter in my dishwasher (by itself) with two cups of white vinegar, to help clean it (and my dishwasher). My dishwasher gets nasty hard water deposits every month, so I have to use those tablets to keep it clean.
Noise? On F1, it is like any other fan on low speed. If you're really sensitive to noise, then move it away from your bed. Otherwise, it should not bother you. On "A", you will set the desired humidity level in increments of 5% from 25-65%. The closer you are to your target, the fan will automatically drop down in speed until it stops when you are 1% over your target. This is great if you use it in a heated bedroom. If using in a hallway somewhere, just crank it up to 50-65% and leave it on A so it will keep your house going. If you have a smaller house, it will likely run really well. Just remember that the pan holds about 2 gallons and the tank holds two gallons. It is rated at 12, meaning that if your house is really, really, really dry, then it can evaporate up to 12 gallons in a day. In all likelihood, it will run good enough that you won't go through that much. With the humidity up over 30%, we don't feel as dry, I don't cough as much, my nose isn't as nasty/bloody as it has been when dry. The humidy indicator can be accurate when measured. At other times, if you hygrometer is closer to a heat supply, then it might be a little lower. As much as 10% lower then what this thing shows. I wouldn't worry. It's not perfect. There's been times, my hygrometer is several feet higher in the air than this device and it reads more humidity then this device shows. So it's all relative to location. In terms of flimsyness and ability to move and leaking, yes it is flimsy. The base won't leak on it's own. There's nothing to leak out of. no holes, etc. The fan unit fits on. There is a little track that it fits into. It is possible that if you don't align it, then you are asking for issues. Next, the tank goes on. Most days, this is all you touch, to refil it. If inserted properly, it's little valve on the bottom will gurgle, gurgle periodically to fill up the base. If the valve is depressed in a bad way or fails, then it could leak. Keep this on a level surface. I have it on carpet all the time, and never leaks. I recommend it. I bought from Sears because I expected it to fail and wanted an easy return. Plus Sears had it and saved $$$ over buying on Amazon. Ditto with the solution.

Update: As of 12/9/2014, I have been running my unit 24/7 since beginning of November. The upstairs runs a little more humid than downstairs. I have been varying between speed 2 and speed 4 depending on weather (lower in rainy and higher when dry and really cold outside). I generally run it on speed 3 at night and all day when I'm at work. It seems to not run out of water in 12 hours on speed 3. However, on speed 4, it can run out of water in under 8 hours. I have noticed the house seems to maintain about 50-55% relative humidity between 66 and 69 degrees, which is where I generally maintain the temp. Due to the size of my house, it takes a while to increase the humidity when the central heat is on (and if I had been running this on low and let the humidity to drop below 50%). If the weather is dry and cold, then I run this on high speed. If the weather is warm or wet (think 40 degrees is MUCH warmer than 20 degree weather), then I run on 2 or 3 to maintain 50%. I am still on the original wick. Got it in the dishwasher right now with 2 cups of white vinegar. I think this is only the 2nd time that I've washed it in 5 weeks. I recently learned you can buy the Golden Solutions aka Vista 64-oz Humidifier Treatment at Lowes for $6.98. Wish I had known. I just bought a bottle at Sears for $15 or $16. Hopes this helps!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2013
How it happened... a new guitar joined the household and it came with strong recommendations on humidity levels to keep in the house to insure the longevity of the wood. So... first was the purchase of small pocket size temp and humidity gauge. The discovery! the humidity in the house was 35% on a good day. A quick search of consumer reports... a dash to a local department store... an poof in just a few hours the 1800 square foot house had 50% humidity. That's right, it does the whole house. It is quiet enough to have in the living room, near the furnace intake air vent. It is easy to maintain, at least I think so. The guitar loves it. The plants are happy and as an extra bonus my sinuses have finally returned to normal to my delight and the amazement of my doctor. I would never have suspected that the dry heating system was the problem.

We add the anti-bacteria at each fill just to keep the system clean. Change the filter twice in a year. Run it both winter and summer. That's right, summer too.
Ask a librarian what the humidity level is in a library. Notice how cool and comfortable the whole library is... yep... it makes a difference for the books and the people! You just set the level of humidity you want and the system automatically maintains it. We run it all day and all night. It is easy to live with.

I would not have believed the unit would be able to even out the humidity in the whole house. There was no way to retrofit a humidifier into our furnace/AC system and when we get an upgrade... I think we will stay with the Kenmore unit. The cost of adding the plumbing to the system doesn't make dollar sense when we know this works so well.

Its coming up on winter... this could make a difference.
on November 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
Purchased this in the spring and did not use it until about a week ago. The fan speed on top does not work. I filled the water reservoir and the tank, I keep getting a "F" after it gives the humidity reading. Is there something wrong with this machine. If I could get answers on this humidifier, I might enjoy it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2014
I bought this humidifier last year and had great use out of it over the winter. When it was no longer needed i followed the manufacturer instructions and put it away for the summer. Since putting it in operation this winter I seem to have a problem with the filters. I installed a new filter and have found that it does not continue to absorb the water. Regardless of how full the tank is the filter dries out. At least the top half dries out and to maintain humidity levels one has to flip the filter to get the whole thing soaked with water. Suffice to say this is a big pain and time consuming. And needs to be done almost daily. On top of this the fan runs constantly and i suspect will die from over use. There seems to be a big problem with the filters which i might add are not cheap particularly if you have to be constantly changing them to get the humidifier to work. I am quite disappointed that this purchase has turned out to be a lemon in the end. I am going to write to the manufacturer about this problem and see what comes of that. In the meantime, buyer beware!!
on February 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
Good humidifier, seems to adequately boost humidity in out ~1300 sq ft home. It would be nice of the thing turned itself off when it ran out of water instead of continuing to blast its fan. Also it runs a tad loud when it is really cranking - which I knew from reviews before I bought it - but does at least quiet down when it gets near target humidity. Otherwise no complaints so far.
on March 5, 2014
Verified Purchase
I received my unit last night and attempted to install and run. The base of the unit was apparently not properly formed and a portion was non existent, water poured out on the first tank fill. Packed it back up and i am returning it today. Buyer beware!
on March 11, 2015
It seems to work as advertised, however it's amazing how cheap these things are. Basically it's just a plastic tub of water that a filter sits in, with a variable speed fan. Maybe $30 worth of stuff here. However...it does work and the price is competitive with other units. I live in Colorado and this winter my house got down to 13% a few times. I put this by a cold air return and it brought my 2000 sq ft house up from 20% to about 35% in a matter of a few hours. Ultimately, I settled on just keeping it in the master bedroom. Running it every night, the room stays above 50%. We sleep with it on a fan speed of 1 or 2 (4 being the highest). It's a very pleasant, low frequency fan sound. Settings of 3 and 4 are probably best suited when you're not in the room.

Flaws: It gurgles so loud it wakes me up at night! The removable tank has to filter down into the collector tub. That tank is air tight, so as the water gets displaced, loud air bubbles are created. I think drilling a tiny hole in the tank will help. That tank is also a pain to fill 100%. No standard bathroom sink or even bath tub faucet is long enough to reach the filler cap! The only faucet in the whole house that could realistically fill it up is the kitchen sink.

*UPDATE* Drilling two very small holes in the top of the tank does indeed stop the gurgling. Of course it does now leak slightly when you fill it up, but it's worth it not to be woke up at night!
on January 20, 2014
Verified Purchase
This hunidifier is not as loud as everyone made it out to be. It's perfect for the space I have and works great.