Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fire TV Stick Sun Care Stephen Marley Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 14, 2012
My girlfriend and I live in oregon. Its rainy from fall through spring. Humidity is constantly at 90+% even with average temperatures between 50 and 30 degrees F. Our windows and toilet tank sweat. Mold is a constant problem. Towels don't dry and life can be pretty miserable.

We decided to try out a dehumidifier and this one is performing great. I haven't had any of the problems that other reviewers have pointed out. No leaks, no overflow (despite relying on the auto shutoff on a daily basis), and no compressor failure.

The tank on this unit holds roughly 10 pints of water so if you don't use the gravity drain and it runs continuously you'll have to empty it at least 3 times a day. We tend to run it just during the day while we're at work. In that 8 hours it takes the humidity down to roughly 65%. At that level the windows and toilet don't sweat and the air tastes noticeably fresher when I come in from out side.

The main reason that we only run it while we're out is that it can be a little loud. We live in a small two bedroom apartment (roughly 700 square feet) and we have the dehumidifier in the main living area. The unit is essentially a mini-fridge compressor attached to a small fan, so when you put it on hardwood it can make a fair bit of noise. It's not so much that putting a door between you and it wouldn't hide it, but it's enough that having it 8 feet away while watching TV or enjoying dinner isn't a good option.

The digital controls on the unit are really nice. You can set a target humidity or set it to run continuously (or until the tank fills). I have humidity gauges for my reptiles and based on their readings I would say that the target humidity control does a decent job (+/- 5%). The fan speed can be set to low or high. At high speed I can see a noticeably faster rate of water collection (the tank tends to fill in 6-8 hours instead of 10-12), but the high speed is slightly louder than the low speed so we tend to set it to low if we use it while we're home.

All that said we've only had it about two months, but after reading many glowingly positive reviews of fridgidaire dehumidifiers from reviewers that have only owned their unit a few days I decided to throw my review in the ring. I'll certainly update this review should anything on the unit fail, but for now I cannot recommend it enough. The noise is no worse than most humidifiers, the unit easily handles the humidity in our apartment, and the price is nearly 30% less than many similar capacity humidifiers.
on July 7, 2013
We bought ours in June of 2011 and use it for about 5 months in the summer. It ran 24 x 7 for those months and worked fine. When I started it this summer it didn't work. Compressor seems to come on, but no water drains out. Previous dehumidifier lasted 10 years. Not happy with two years on a $170 dehumidifier.
on April 3, 2012
This unit functioned fine for 8 months but then the overfill shutoff failed and it flooded my basement floor with water. My last dehumidifier did the same thing. If you want to get rich, invent a dehumidifier that actually works.
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2011
I bought a kenmore in june this year . It worked fine for 2 months then quit. I sent it to be repaired in Sept. but after a month, they said they could not find the part they needed anywhere. This tells me that could be because sears is not making this model anymore. Also now I am being call by a sears survey service asking how I rated the repair . I took their survey thinking that would be the end of it. It isn't . I have been called every day for a month to take the same survey. Sometimes multiple calls. I called the # back but didn't get a person of course, but was told to go to their website to stop the calls. Once there I had to type in my e-mail address. No way! If I did they would probably e-mail me 100's of times a day. Don't buy a sears product.
on April 9, 2012
We bought this model from a Sears' store last April. Initially, it worked and ran fine.. kept the basement cool and odor-free. A few months ago, however, it became so noisy we could hear it all over the house. In order to sleep, we had to shut it off (in the basement... we sleep on the first floor). This past week, husband went into the basement to leave for work and found water all over the place. The bucket itself was dry. When he went to move it outside, he heard water sloshing around inside the dehumidifier. When he got home that night, he found that the drainage hose was completely clogged. He unclogged it and it seems to be running, but it still extremely noisy to the point where we have to shut the basement door to watch TV in the family room. We're not optimistic that this is going to last. If we do need to buy another unit, it will NOT be Kenmore.

My suggestion is to read the reviews on Amazon and base your purchase on that. Even if you have to invest a little more money, it will be worth it. I've been shopping on Amazon since the first year they went online and normally base all our appliance purchases on customer reviews, but this was an impulse purchase that I did not research first. My mistake!
on July 31, 2013
Works good on high setting. Does not work good on low setting. Isn't as energy efficient as one would want. However in high setting it does its job.
on September 14, 2013
This is the last Kenmore dehumidifier I'll ever buy. It lasted just over a year, and suddenly now does not extract any water from the air at all. The compressor does cycle on and off, but nothing in the tank. I wish I remembered the brand I had before this one, it lasted me over ten years. I may try to take it back to Sears for service, but I'm guessing they will want to charge me something to even look at it. The recent recalls for dehumidifiers causing house fires made me realize that so many of these numerous brands are all manufactured by the Gree corporation in China. I wish someone reputable would come along and make a high quality, reliable unit. I would pay a premium for it, especially if it were made in the USA.
on June 5, 2013
Bought this for a single basement room. It ran well for about a year and a half. Then it the compressor died. The fan etc. would work but the compressor never turned on. Will not buy another one again.
on May 18, 2013
One on each level of my 3 story house. They work great. The only complaint I have at all is that the compartment that holds the water is kind of annoying to put back into the unit after you have emptied it. One of them I have had for two years, and the other two I just bought. Would definitely recommend.
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2014
This worked great for one summer, then just stopped working. It runs and sounds normal, but there is not a drop of water in the bucket. This has not even been a year, yet it's very disappointing that it just stopped working. Luckily, the warranty is still alive I was able to drop this off for repairing. I'll see how long it will last after repairing.
This worked really great when it was working. It collected bucket full of water really quickly (within several hours when high in humidity) and I was happy with the performance. But, I would probably reconsider buying another Kenmore dehumidifier if I have to in the future. This product seems unreliable in my opinion.