5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely better than the Rest
To start with, the vacuum shown here is NOT the bagless model, so the other review must be ignored since it is for the wrong product.

The Kenmore vacuum is FANTASTIC. I sampled the vacuum out in a local Sears store and compared it to a top of the line Dysons and Hoover and it blew them away. It pushed much easier than the Hoover and it destroyed both of the...
Published on June 29, 2008 by Jo Morris

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price... Not durable in normal use
We purchased this unit in large part due to the Consumer Reports evaluation. This unit does suck up pet hair pretty well, and the filtering is adequate, or was when new.

HOWEVER, the unit's construction is poor -- even cheap. Unlike our 20 year old canister vac, this unit is almost entirely plastic. Within a year the tiny plastic nubs which engage the wand...
Published on October 18, 2009 by Phyllis

2.0 out of 5 stars poorly designed, March 17, 2010
Joyce (small town Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System, Slate Blue (Kitchen)
I had a hard time deciding between another Hoover Windtunnel and this vacuum when my WindTunnel plain old wore out. After trying both of them out briefly, the direct drive feature and good ratings at Con.Report led me to buy the Sears Progressive. I've used it for several weeks and have calmed down a little. Who designed the attachments for this thing?!?! The machine feels solid enough and does have great suction. I clean seriously and it's a major pain in the butt to undo the hose to attach the wand thingy because it is wound right under the cord and has a stupid clip you have to unclip. An important attachment for the floor doesn't even fit on the vacuum anywhere! That paw-like attachment is stupid and probably a "they'll believe anything" ploy...it is powered only by suction and stops the minute there is any resistance. If you're just vacuuming rugs, it does an EXCELLENT job, though heavy. For attaching and putting back, and re-attaching the hose attachments it is horrible--VERY POORLY designed. If I could return it solely because "it's a pain in the butt" I would but I doubt they would accept it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for carpets, annoying hose and attachments., June 28, 2009
J. Wollesen (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
I've had this vacuum for a couple of years now. First of all, regarding the weight: I definitely noticed the weight difference when switching from a cheaper upright, but now I don't feel it's that heavy. Carrying it up a flight of stairs is a little challenging, but just vacuuming is not difficult.

It does a great job on carpets, and has a lot of suction. Yes, the "Intelliclean" lights are annoying because they don't really work. They show green when I'm vacuuming up a pile of cat litter, and red on carpets I just steam cleaned. It makes no sense, so I just ignore them.

My main problem with this vacuum is the hose and attachments. It takes too much effort to use the (heavy) hose; you have to slide a clip open and then yank it out of two brackets and THEN unwind it from the back. My main issue is the brackets... when putting the hose back in you have to line it up just so and then kind of whap it into each of the two brackets with your hand, because pushing alone doesn't create enough force. I hurt my hand almost every single time. And it's annoying that if I forget to do something with the hose I have to go through another five minutes of disassembly and reassembly.

The attachments are lacking. I pretty much only use the small brush head tool, and it is EXTREMELY annoying that the brush is not permanently attached to the head (it slides on and off). You can only brush in one direction, or hold it together while you use it. I would greatly appreciate a wide bare floor attachment, but it doesn't come with one and it's hard to find any accessories for Kenmore uprights. Try eBay.

Powerful vacuum, but the hose issues really wear on you after a while.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, Dies Quick!, June 24, 2009
This was a great vacuum, it did everything it was advertised to.
Unfortunately, it died exactly 12 months after we bought it new.
Sears wanted $163.00 to fix the motor so at that, we junked it.
I figure my Hoover lasted 14 years and still worked when we
gave it away so, back to Hoover we go!.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable and a Pain, January 26, 2010
I've had this vacuum for less than a year. It is at the Sears Service Dept right now being 'fixed' for the second time in 10 months. It clogs easily, and none of the manual's recommended "fixes" for unclogging it work. You have to take it to a service center to get it unclogged. Shouldn't have these problems since there is little traffic in my house. Have two short-hair dogs that are only in the house at night. Also, the attachments fall off the hose when you're using them--super annoying. And, the hose is very difficult to put back in place after using the attachments--you have to force-fit it in the hose area. Can't believe this machine was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. Wasted money and wasted time getting it fixed--each service time has taken NINE days.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for carpets, powered attachment binds, August 30, 2009
I had previously had a Hoover Windtunnel, which has an excellent powered hand tool with a rotating brush(power supplied by vacuum action). The Kenmore has a similar device called the Handi-Mate Jr. The Handi-Mate's brush mechanism did not rotate easily and sometimes bound up completely. Fortunately, I was able to adapt the Hoover's hand tool, to the Kenmore, by using a rubber pipe connection hose with clamps. Pretty clunky but preferable to the Handi-Mate, which is a piece of junk.

Update on Sept 2nd. I found a solution to binding handi-mate by Googling using "handi-mate jr" Then, I went to the [...] website. Solution is to pull out axle of brush roller and cleaning out dirt and fibers. Sears' solution is to sell you a new part for [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Hated it. Returned to Sears. Very heavy. Annoying lights!, February 21, 2009
I bought this at Sears because Consumer reports rated it #1. I was very disappointed. It is very heavy and really hard to push. It was a real work out to use it. It did clean good and is pretty quiet. There are annoying lights that are supposed to turn from red to green when the carpet is clean, but no matter how long I vacuumed, it rarely turned green and drove me crazy! I returned it to Sears.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Like It - Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Bag Model 116.35922, May 13, 2010
I just bought this vacuum a couple of days ago. It has been on Consumer Reports short list for several years. I did a little research and found reviews on Amazon and Sears dating back to 2006, so this model has been around for a while. It is a bag model as I do not like the mess of a bagless vacuum.

I have a Sharp EC-12TWT4 upright, bag model, for the past 15 years or so and paid around $80. So I can only compare the Kenmore to the Sharp. I just had new carpeting installed in my home, except for the berber carpet in our living room, and felt it was time for a new vacuum that was relatively inexpensive. I did some research and found that the Kenmore was on the Consumer Reports short list for several years and read the mixed reviews on this model. People either loved or hated it.

This review will be a summary of features the vacuuum has but not mentioned frequently or at all in other reviews from Amazon or Sears and summarizes the good and bad comments.

FEATURES NOT MENTIONED IN PREVIOUS REVIEWS

1. Extension hose stretches to over 15ft.

2. Two motors, one for suction, one for the agitator brush.

3. 3 suctions speeds, 2 agitator brush speeds a lower setting called 'gentle' for berber carpet.

4. Direct drive, there is no belt.

5. HEPA exhaust filter. This feature was a must for me. My old Sharp just had a rock screen to trap dust that got through the bag and was blown into the room. The HEPA filter will cut down on air born particulates from the vacuum cleaner.

INTELI CLEAN - Optical sensors detect how much dirt is being sucked into the vacuum and adjusts the amount of suction and agitator brush speed depending on how dirty the carpet is when this feature is turned on. A clean carpet will have a lower suction and agitator brush speed.

Indicator lights show how much dirt is going into the vacuum bag. The instruction book says this features reduces noise and energy. You are not going to save that much energy reducing the motor speed. The motor simply does not use that much energy and the vacuum is not on for hours and hours. You can turn Intelli Clean on or off. The vacuum is noisier than my old Sharp but I would prefer to use the vacuum at maximum power all the time, not just when the carpet is really dirty.

I will not be using the Intelli Clean feature.

THE GOOD

1. On Consurmer Reports short list for several years.

2. From reviews the vacuum is great at cleaning pet hair and dirt from carpets.

3. Cheap. I bought his vacuum at Sear's this week for $199. It is relatively cheap compared to other brands.

4. The vacuum has a dirt sensor that tells you how much dirt the vacuum is picking up.
When vacuuming our berber carpet there were places where the lights changed from green (almost no dirt), to orange were there was dirt (I could not see anything). Our new carpet showed green the entire time it was vacuumed. I liked the feedback on how much dirt is getting sucked up.

THE BAD

1. Heavy compared to the Sharp. Using my bathroom scale me first, then the vacuums. The Sharp is about 16lbs, the Kenmore around 20lbs. Not good for carrying up and down stairs.

2. Reviews say the vacuum is hard to push. On our frieze carpet, which is like a low shag, it took more effort to push than our Sharp vacuum. Even on hard floors the rolling resistance is higher than my Sharp, but when vacuuming our berber carpet the effort was the same as a hardwood floor which was acceptable to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apples and/or Oranges?, November 23, 2011
It seems from reading the reviews that folks are talking apples and oranges w/regards to the particular vacuum being addressed. In 45 years we have worn out three vacuums. There was a short marriage once with a Hoover, but that ended badly. I got a Kenmore Intuition for my birthday, or that is what i tease my wife about. It was that we needed a new vacuum because our son need to barrow ours...lives 700 miles away. And we did purchase it on the day of my birthday. (70yrs! thank you!) :)

I love the new tuition and in particular the thorough cleaning that it performs. Yes! I did have to get online and read about why the red light stayed on caused by a full bag (probably a guy thing?). But, as per instructions, we let it sit and cool down and all is well. I use it on short carpet, tile, rugs, and am most pleased. I happen to do the vacuuming in our home because my wife has had back surgery, etc. The break-away function of the hose for corners, etc. is not quite as handy as our previous Kenmore, but the cleaning power overrides that concern for me.

We do grow accustomed to particular features of older models and perhaps that causes some exasperation for some.

I and my wife love our Intuition. We have two cats and a dog and it does a wonderful job.
Thank you!

1.0 out of 5 stars How do I hate it? Let me count the ways..., August 31, 2010
Contrary to Consumer Reports glowing report, this vacuum is a huge disappointment. We bought it because of the Consumer Reports ratings. I no longer trust Consumer Reports. Let me list some of the irritating features.

1. When cleaning my 5-year old carpets, the vacuum won't move unless I set the height so high that the carpet isn't getting clean. With the lower height setting, the vacuum just sucks onto the carpet. I'm not frail, I haul around my kids all day, and I literally can't budge the vaccuum. So instead, I move up the height and have dirty carpets after I've vacuumed. Note that it's fine on my brand new carpet, so I suspect they tested it only on new carpet. Unfortunately for all of us, new carpet doesn't stay new.
2. When cleaning more flexible carpets (like our handwoven wool from Morrocco) the beater brush pulls up the carpet and rattles it, rather than cleaning it. After re-laying the carpet and carpet pad several times, I've given up using the upright, and I just use the wand to skim over the top. Needless to say, the carpet has not been really clean since I bought this vacuum.
3. To switch between the wand and using the vacuum upright, the hose needs to be pressed into a circular divet on the back of the vacuum. This requires squatting, practically kneeling on the floor, and messing around behind the vacuum. As I press the hose against the divet, the vacuum moves forward.
4. The variety of buttons is silly and pointless, besides being cheap looking. "Carpet" is the same thing as "Tools-High". The Inteli-clean is a joke. I can vacuum an area until the light turns green, then come back to the same area later and it will light up red as if the carpet is dirty. On other areas, I can vacuum a hundred times and the light stays red - so it's either not cleaning, or the sensor doesn't work.
5. The spinner on the hand-held stair and upholstery cleaner (Handy Mate, Jr) doesn't spin if you press down on it at all. But if you don't press, it has very little suction and just brushes lightly over the surface - not effective.
6. The wand attaches with a small push and twist. The problem is that it unattaches that easily, too. When the wand taps against the wall, a table leg, etc. it detaches and smacks down onto the floor. Besides the startling sound, it's irritating to reattach over and over. The whole wand setup is flimsy and cheap. There is a vent-type thing that can be rotated to reduce suction, but it is loose and placed right where my hand is - this means I'm vacuuming along and pretty soon it won't even pick up a Cheerio, and sure enough, the vent has inadvertently opened. I've finally secured it with a rubber band. Nice.
7. There aren't enough places on the vacuum to store attachments. Beside being less tidy, it means that I have to make two trips up the steps to get the vacuum and the bits up.
8. The bags are expensive. They told me I'd only have to change it every 6 months, which should have been a red flag. What it means is - the vacuum doesn't work very well, it doesn't suck up the dirt. You also have to ask, do you really want those peas and crackers in your vacuum bag for 6 months, or the pet hair, or anything else that you are trying to suck up and get out of your house?
9. One last thing - when you extend the hose more than a couple of feet, it pulls the vacuum over with a delightful slam on the floor, followed by under-the-breath cursing from me, for the hundredth time. The kids are figuring out that mom gets crabby when that vacuum comes out.

Before this vacuum, I lived overseas and had a Dyson Animal. My regret is immense for not just buying another Dyson when we arrived stateside. For the price of this Kenmore, I could have bought a Dyson on craigslist. I'm not a fan of cleaning, but with the Dyson, it was actually fun. I emptied the canister twice every time I vacuumed, and had a great sense of accomplishment.

I tried to give this Kenmore a chance, so I kept it for awhile before returning it - unfortunately long enough that Sears wouldn't take it back. Aargh! I'm saving for a Dyson, and I can't wait to dump this Kenmore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenmore progressive upright, July 26, 2009
This is an excellent solid state machine with one problem: the hoses are chintzy. The little plastic things that hold them together break off easily. The hoses come apart easily. I recently was vacuuming our ceiling getting ready to paint. The hoses kept snapping apart, and they weren't even stretched out. However, I think that all vacuums have the issue of cheap hoses. It would be nice if they offered a substantial metal one for sale. The other thing you can do to alleviate this situation is to have a canister vacuum as well.