Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

on May 4, 2011
I needed a carrying bag for work and travel that would allow me to carry both my netbook, accessories, and work papers, notebooks, etc. I did not want a tacky vinyl or polyester bag that looked like a laptop case. The problem is that the really nice, leather messenger bags are in the $150-$250 range and I just didn't want to spend that much. This Kenneth Cole case turned out to be the best compromise. It has a classy, simple style accented by the brushed silver buckle. It is perfect for carrying a 10" netbook, which I have within it's own sleeve in the separate compartment in this messenger bag. There is still plenty of room (probably another 4-5 inches in width) for papers, notebooks, a portfolio, or whatever. That being said, this bag is probably not suitable for a student who needs to carry three thick hardcover textbooks and notebooks -- a backpack or bigger bag would be needed. For my purposes, though, this is perfect. There are plenty of handy extras, too: a zip pocket on the outside (under the flap), a zip pocket inside the bag, and a pouch on the back (outside) of the bag. Also has pen holders and other helpful features inside. The only negative about this bag is that it lacks a handle. Since it is a messenger bag with a flap, the only way to have a handle is to have a cutaway on the top of the flap so the handle can go through it...I had a bag like that didn't look as good, but the handle was functional simply for grabbing the bag from the floor. I haven't found this to be a deal-breaker, as I just pick up the bag using the shoulder strap. Still, some might prefer a case with a handle. Also, while the entire bag is leather, the shoulder strap is nylon except for the shoulder cushion. I think that a full leather shoulder strap would have looked better, though I'm sure it would have increased the cost. Overall, for the $75-$90 price point, this is one of the best messenger bags you can me, I looked at dozens of them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2011
So, I tested out several of the Kenneth Cole Reaction messenger bags for carrying my laptop (a 15.6" 16x9 Lenovo W520) to work and none of them seemed to fit my laptop... They were all just barely not long enough (or way too snug to carry anything else, like my charger, with the laptop). Finally, I found this bag. Even without expanding the bag, my laptop fits perfectly in the laptop pocket (thus leaving it more protected) along with my work binder (1") and charger, along with a few accessories (pens, wireless mouse, etc). I love this bag. It looks great. The buckle actually looks pretty good and although at first I was more interested in the bags that have the magnetic closures, this one actually ends up working better, looking better, and it's just as easy to open. The leather is well-made and the bag feels classy and professional.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2010
I was looking for a 'grown-up' messenger bag for interviews as well as my job and this bag doesn't disappoint. It seems extremely well made, has great stitching and a great style. It fits my 15" MacBook Pro perfectly in the separated, velcro'd pouch and has a lot of room in the other section for accessories and papers. I will have to see how it holds up to scarring and such, but initial impressions are very good.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2012
I bought this product about 8 months ago (and have used it actively for about 4 of those months). It's a great, functional bag. It fits my 15.4" laptop well, plus some papers, water bottle, and a few other items. It has two zippered pouches and one open pouch on the back that I us to hold my passport, documents, etc. The leather is nice and soft as well, though not the highest quality (though it's decent). Around the corners and along the edge of the flap the black curing (coating?) of the leather is flaking off a bit, revealing a brownish underside, which looks a bit tacky. I bought this bag for $55 on sale on amazon, so I can't complain too much, though I don't think I would buy this bag at any price above $55.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2011
So I ordered the bag at the beginning of the week, and after 4 days of use I feel like I'm ready to write my review on it.

-The bag looks very nice, and I've gotten many comments on it in the few days that I've been using it. (Most of them saying I look more like a graduate student!)
-The pockets are well placed, and it holds everything I need for classes, but not much more. That being said, I only carry around an 11" laptop, not a 17 monster.
-It has held up physically without any problems, and no part of it seems like it is liable to wear and/or break over time.

-The portion where the strap meets the bag on the left side (when looking towards the side that has the buckle, you can see it in the main image of the product) seems to not want to stay straight. It's not a huge problem, but it bothers me slightly when the loop that connects the strap to the bag turns vertical and scrunches the strap material together. I cannot find a way to prevent this from happening.
-After putting many things into the bag, it can become uncomfortable. The strap has a cushioned portion at the top (which isn't shown in the pictures), which could be a little bigger. This is primarily the reason I don't carry too much in it.
-The expansion zipper opens the bag up only slightly, and then makes it look awkward. However, I think it's nice to be able to, if I ever need to fit in "one more book".

Overall, I'm very happy with the bag, and I think it will make a great replacement for my backpack.
on March 22, 2013
This bag is perfect for young professionals or students who need to carry items such as books or laptops in a convenient over-the-shoulder bag. The bag is well-constructed with a soft leather, which may show nicks and scratches with heavy use, but I have thus far only experienced very minor, unnoticeable scuffs. The buckle is actually a magnet so it's easy to open and close, yet holds in place very well thanks to the design of the buckle. The bag is designed in a sleek, elegant aesthetic, and the padded strap sits comfortably on the shoulder.

The bag is bigger than I expected. I was easily able to fit two medium-sized books, a laptop, stethoscope, penlight, reflex hammer, and I still had room for other things. There is a caveat, however. Although the dimensions of the bag may allow you to fit these things, the pliability of the material and lack of padding makes items in the bag vulnerable to damage. A laptop could easily fit, but be mindful when putting it down on hard surfaces, since the material is significantly softer than what you would find on a book bag.

That said, I would recommend this bag for anyone in need of a lightweight messenger bag.

- Generous size
- Sleek, elegant design
- Easy to open and close buckle
- Comfortable strap

- Lack of protection
- Soft leather
on January 27, 2013
I asked for this messenger bag for Christmas because I needed a larger bag to carry laptop, iPad, multiple books, etc. As a professor, I found that my normal laptop bag did not have enough room for me to take all my materials home for the weekend.

This bag is large to begin with. It has a zipper along the side and bottom seams, which unzips to increase the capacity substantially. It's made of beautiful, soft leather, and is very sturdy. The laptop compartment is suspended inside the bag; the computer doesn't directly contact the ground when you put the bag down, but stays suspended an inch off the floor. This protects the computer. The strap is long and heavy, and can easily be worn over either shoulder. The padding on the strap is adequate.

What would I change? Messenger bags don't normally have handles: they normally just rely on the strap. I'd really like to have carrying handles, too, but I see how that would be difficult to add, due to the design of the bag.

All in all: a great bag, and great value.
on September 10, 2013
I purchased this for my husband specifically for business trips so that he could keep paperwork and other items accessible when flying. The bag not only is functional, but it looks great and stylish. This is a very roomy bag and it expands to accommodate lots of items. There are different pockets, all easily accessible and the designated smaller pockets inside come in handy for holding phones, pens, keys, and smaller items that can fall to the bottom of a bag. The strap is cushioned and comfortable and the buckle holding the flap in place is stylish and easy to open when you're juggling other baggage or trying to open the bag one handed. My only complaint about the bag is that it does not have a handle sewn on top so that the bag can be carried like a briefcase, but for the price, this is a very minor complaint.
on February 8, 2015
I bought this bag for my husband and so far he seems quite satisfied with it. He doesn't particularly like the strap for the bag as it slightly cheapens the overall look. Additionally, he stated that a handle would have been nice. He likes the compartment for stationary and the way his laptop is separated from other contents in the bag. He wondered if it was genuine leather as the material was slightly crinkling.

But overall, he states it is a good product.
on June 23, 2014
I liked the Kenneth Cole Messenger Bag when I first got it. It's sturdy and is fairly stylish, although the cloth handle does give it kind of a cheap look. However, the Clasp broke after about a month and now it doesn't stay closed. I bought a knock-off messenger bag for far less several years ago which still works fine. Considering the price for the bag and how easily it started to break, it is not worth it.