Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

This case replace one that was supposed to withstand some beating but did not. I have now taken this Kenneth Cole case on three trips (total of eight flights). This was my first carryon to have four-way wheels, and what a huge difference that makes when moving through long security lines. It glides well in all directions. The outer shell seems impervious to scratches. The case is a tiny bit shorter than my old ones, and this has made a huge difference in terms of fitting snugly into the overhead compartments. Finally, I was not sure I'd like the fact that one side has a fully zipped closure -- now I LOVE that aspect of it. I am able to pack that side remarkably full and tight because it's like a suitcase within a suitcase. When traveling w/ carryon only, I used to have to juggle the bag carefully when removing my baggie o' liquids, so nothing else fell out. The fully zipped compartment means that everything on that side is secured, so when I open the shell to slip out or re-pack liquids/PC, etc, I no longer have to deal w/ slippage or things moving around. (this was not why I bought the bag, but it's been a pleasant bonus). Best of all, it is light and flexible -- while it is a 'hard' shell, I am able to get some flexibility from the sides, plus the zipper band has some stretch to it that allows for returning with extra "stuff" a bit easier. I highly recommend this piece.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2012
We bought a pair of these cases because they were one of the only ones we could find that satisfied almost all countries guidelines for on-board luggage.

We thought it would not hold as much as we wanted but better than having to check the bag unexpectedly. We were quite surprised that they fit everything better than the larger cases they replaced.

Nicely designed, more attractive in person than the pictures, and it also rolls better than the last ones we had which cost more.

Great case for the price. And Amazon got it there before the trip, and without extra charges for the speed, have to love that.

There is a funky plastic smell at first, but opening up and letting it air out one day before we packed solved the problem.
on September 26, 2013
This is a great spinner. I have now taken it on 7 different flights and it still looks brand new. Furthermore, compared to the carry-on of the masses, it looks conservative in size and fits in pretty much every overhead bin. (If you fly on CRJ-200s a lot, it might not fit there, but what does?)

The inside of the bag offers some excellent zipper flaps so that you can pack dirty stuff in one area and clean in the other. On my last trip, I was able to fit the following in with no problems:
-20" compression pillow
-1 large electric trimmer
-1 shaver plus replacement head pack
-4 mini-bottles of John Varavatos cologne
-1 travel bottle of Armani Code
-a few other odds and ends.

So, while this might not be a larger spinner bag, it can hold a ton, and it certainly takes a beating and keeps on trucking. Plus you won't get the evil eye from the gate agents for toting it around, especially when they see how much smaller it appears than the other bags being taken as carry on. I'd highly recommend this to anyone.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2013
Pros:
- small enough by any airlines requirements
- appears very high end, particularly given its reasonable price
- great individual compartments for packing different types of items
- wheels swivel 360 degrees for great mobility

Cons:
- no external pockets for liquids or other items you might need quick access to
- might be on the small side for longer trips

I recently took this on a trip in which I packed for 5 days including two different pairs of shoes. It had plenty of room and the zippered compartment let me keep my shoes separate from my more formal clothes. It fit in every overhead compartment with much room to spare. I enjoyed rolling it around the airport instead of struggling to drag it from one gate to the next. I did miss not having an external pocket but the benefits far outweighed this inconvenience.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 11, 2014
I bought this luggage to replace a polycarbonate carry-on that wore out. I was attracted to the spinner wheels, carry-on size, and the comparatively cheap price. I hadn't done my research into the materials. That's where I went wrong. After picking up my luggage at the carousel, I discovered that one of the bottom corners had suffered a wide horizontal crack the entire length of my hand. Sometime between Keflavik and Toronto, the luggage sustained structural damage. The scuffs and scratches I expected from typical rough airport handling, but not the crack. Judging from the location of the damage, the luggage might've been dropped onto one of its wheels, or maybe another very heavy item stacked/dropped on top of it at an unfortunate angle. My luggage had been packed full with clothes and mostly soft, compressible items. The only hard items packed in there were a 1L bottle of alcohol, 2 cans of Coke, and 2 plastic bags of volcanic rocks and pebbles gathered from my trip. None of the items inside were damaged.

The luggage isn't expensive enough to warrant the hassle of trying to file an airport claim (and I had already left the airport before thinking to file) or try to get Kenneth Cole to honor a warranty. The product is still usable, but the damage speaks to the lack of survivability and lack of quality. Upon doing research after this incident, I learned that ABS is a cheap plastic that is more brittle and less resilient to damage than PC. I had used my PC luggage on over a dozen flights with no cracking whatsoever.

As for the wheels, they spin freely and I don't have any major complaints except that they perhaps roll too freely. For example, when on the airtrain or subway, the luggage slides around as the wheels cannot be locked.

So in total, this luggage saw two trips: one domestic (personally placed in a car trunk) and one international (with real world airport stresses and rough handling). It survived the outbound flight but not the return trip. I do not recommend this at all. My next luggage will be a Samsonite, a proven brand, or a Tumi.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2013
I have used this on five trips so far -- 3 international and 2 within the states. perfect for overhead regulations for international flights (both Europe and South America) and an easy fit for "most" USA flights. Of course, if you flying regional planes, the overhead doesn't fit much more than a backpack -- and a small one at that. But the best feature is that it has more room than my 22' carryon that I used to swear by. I was in NYC for 5 days and this carryon held everything! Amazing! Would definitely recommend. Only feature i don't like is the no outside pocket but still #1 on my go to list.
on March 17, 2013
My overly critical husband just got back from traveling for the first time with this suitcase and couldn't say enough great things about it. The spinner wheels work really well - I wasn't sure he would like them better but he said he really appreciated being able to swing the suitcase from one hand to another around his front while still walking. He also loved the interior zippered pockets, and said several TSA employees thanked him for using the suitcase that was so organized and easy to check. It looks as pristine (5 flights) as when he took it out of the box, and fit easily in overhead compartments.

I would have to say the only con of this suitcase is that the interior isn't as roomy as I expected. The pockets, extending handle, and zippered compartments seem to take up a lot of room, leaving packing space a little tight. There is no way he would have fit two pairs of mens shoes in there along with clothes for a four day trip. Overall I would highly recommend this suitcase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm very happy with this carry-on and highly recommend it.

It's well-built and sturdy. It's lighter than most other carry-ons, making it easy to lift up to the overhead bin, and easy to lug around the airport during your layover--especially because the spinner wheels work great. And it looks really good.

Most important: the size of this case is absolutely within major airlines' carry-on size limitations. That is not true for most carry-ons. Manufacturers have a very deceptive practice of advertising dimensions that do not include the wheels or protruding handles. But airlines DO count these protrusions. So, if you buy a 21.5" Samsonite carry-on, for example, you're getting a bag that is really nearly 24" tall, or 2" over the 22" carry-on limit of most airlines.

Luggage manufacturers can get away with this because most airlines will let you bring a bag that is 2" over the limit if the flight is not full and the plane has deep overhead bins. But there is no guarantee of this.

Earlier this week, I flew 2500 miles round trip on a Delta CRJ900, one of their smaller jets that holds 76 passengers. They let me bring on this carry-on and it fit in the overhead bin just fine. But every single person with a carry-on that was larger than mine had to check their bag at the door of the plane. I had an extremely tight layover; checking my carry-on would have cost precious minutes and made it harder for me to catch my next flight. I am so glad I had this bag, instead of a slightly larger bag.

The downside is that this bag holds less stuff than other carry-on bags that are 2" over the size limit. But this one holds enough: I can easily fit a pair of size-12 mens shoes, my toiletry kit, and clothes for three days. (It helps if you wear on the plane a pair of shoes and pants that you can wear at least one of the days during your trip.) On my way home, I was also able to squeeze in a few small items I acquired during my travels.

Bottom line: buy this!
on December 20, 2012
a tad smaller than the max size of carry-on you are allowed to bring, but still packs probably just as much stuff. I used vacuum-pack bags when I travel so the slightly smaller size wasn't really noticeable in the amount of stuff I could bring. The separate inside compartments making packing it to the brim quite easy. The rollers work great and the bag is really light and easy to sling up in the overhead.
on November 6, 2013
I bought 2 of the Reaction rolling, carry on, hard sides in grey. We used them on a flight from Atlanta to New York's JFK. On the trip to JFK both performed admirably. They are very easy to maneuver -- both in crowded corridors and, more important, on the plane. The Reaction fit easily within the carry on measurements yet held 4 days worth of clothes with room to spare. Even with the purchases we made in NYC, we had ample room.

Unlike many other rolling bags, the Reaction's expandable handle showed no weaknesses: we bounced them over curbs, heaved them into crowed overhead bins, and dragged them down a non-working subway escalator. Having handles on both the side and top made lifting the bags much easier that I expected.

The real test was the flight home. The plane was overbooked and, by the time we could board, all of the overhead bins were filled. So both bags got checked (for free). And, of course both bags got lost. By the time we found them -- at the 3rd location to which we sent, they were being offloaded with the oversized cargo: they were mixed in with stuff that was crated, stuff that was in metal sheeting, and stuff that obvious weighed a lot as some required 3 or 4 baggage handlers. When we dodged the big stuff, we found them literally tossed in a corner. I was not pleased, but I was surprised that neither suitcase had any dents or scrapes on them. Judging by how the bags were merely tossed aside, I was glad the designer had reinforced the corners with ABS (the same material used in my whitewater canoe).

Since that trip, each case has made a couple of car trips which means they've been treated gently. Still, we have put a fair amount of stress on the expandable handles: we've used bungee cords to piggyback computers and such on them with no problem.

If there is a drawback to the Reaction case it is that, at least in the grey color, they are not very distinctive -- it is a bit hard to tell which one is yours. To my delight, Kenneth Cole seems to have foreseen this problems and each case comes with an offer for inexpensive but quite good luggage tags. The metal is solid and the engraving is free. Admittedly, the leather strap isn't the best, bit that's a minor quibble.

As someone who has travelled extensively, I have to give the Reaction cases 5 stars for design and strength. They certainly have survived being tossed about, and my abuse of the handle has revealed no weaknesses. To me, the Reaction carry ons offer the most bang for the buck.