4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile good-looking briefcase
I bought this because I had a similar Kenneth Cole reaction case that was finally ready to be retired after about 10 years. Note that this case is "buff", not shiny.

Published on October 7, 2008 by AndyF

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the front latch!
Published on September 30, 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile good-looking briefcase, October 7, 2008
AndyF (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews

Only dissapointment was that the over-the-shoulder strap was not leather: it's mostly cloth, with one piece of cushioned leather (for comfort when it sits on your shoulder). I think this cheapens the look a bit.

Other than that, good looking. 3 separate sections inside. I keep my laptop (fairly large: an IBM Thinkpad T42) in one, paperwork in the second, and pens, phones, other small stuff in the front. Also has a separate inside zippered compartment, and an outer compartment (slip a newspaper into it) in the back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a few moments to master the latch, February 20, 2012
historyguy (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenneth Cole Reaction Luggage Flap-Py Gilmore (Apparel)
I was leery of the latch and went into the purchase forewarned. Like most reviewers, I had a rough time figuring it out. After a few moments of practice, I had it down. I practiced opening it while it was on my shoulder as well. To open, slide the lower portion of the latch to the side and lift the upper portion (using the attached leather flap).
Just as important was practicing closing the latch securely. I found that if I did not get it closed properly, it would open completely.
The quality of the rest of the bag is outstanding. I carry a full-size planner and a packed two-inch binder regularly with no problems.
The required practice session is the only drawback.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING Briefcase!!!, September 28, 2011
Based on the price and quality combined, I would give this product six or seven stars if I could. That's because it exceeded every expectation I had. Let me go over the reasons why. First, the price was ridiculous. I shopped online and in stores for a similar style leather briefcase. I visited department stores, Cole Haan, Samsonite, and even discount stores (TJ Maxx, Burlington, etc.) and outlets. I also went to a Kenneth Cole store in the mall and a Kenneth Cole outlet. They all had similar bags (although not the exact same model) and the cheapest I could find a similar Kenneth Cole bag for was $130 on a "HUGE" clearance sale at the store. For an all leather bag of similar size and quality, I couldn't find any brand cheaper than $100. That made me question how Amazon could sell this bag for soooooo much less than even a Kenneth Cole outlet store. Let's just say once I got it, I wasn't disappointed. It was the same size, quality, and everything I saw at the store, except half off the next cheapest price.

Not taking into account the research I did for comparable products and prices, this briefcase is absolutely great in its own right and would easily be worth $150+. Seriously, I shopped around! First, it came with great presentation. It arrived in a nice, fitted Kenneth Cole box. Inside the box, the briefcase was nicely packaged in a Kenneth Cole protective briefcase bag (similar to what my wife's Coach bags come in). The briefcase was flawless, and there was an instant smell of leather coming from the bag. The Leather exterior is extremely high quality and soft. My only concern is that it might be too soft and show wear and tear, but it is also thick, so I imagine you could condition out a lot of scratches. The interior of the bag is lined stylishly with Kenneth Cole print written subtly. The actual style looks even better in person, not too big, not too small, mature yet stylish. It has a little modern flare while not being too trendy. All of the metal fixtures have a lot of attention to detail. A lot of the other bags like this I saw were too trendy and would only work with someone in their mid-20s. This bag would work for anyone from (in my opinion) 28-50. Very versatile.

My only downside to this briefcase is the functionality. It has a lot of room in the inside with three sections. However, there isn't a zipper or snap at the top, so everything is open except for the flap that covers the top. While this will protect larger stuff from falling out if the bag is upside down or sideways, it wouldn't prevent little things (think pens, keys, etc.) from possibly working their way out. This can be worked around because there is a large zipper compartment on the inside, as well as little organizing sections for cards, pens, phones etc.. Also, I don't want to subtract any stars because most other bags in the messenger style had this same issue. The other concern is there isn't much padding for laptops on the bottom. There is a pad, but it isn't very thick. My solution was to put some foam at the bottom of the middle section (where I keep the laptop), no one sees it, it stays in there snugly, and it gives a little extra piece of mind. Also, this is a briefcase that can be suited to use as a laptop bag, not the other way around (not advertised as a laptop bag but a briefcase). I also mostly travel for work with my Samsung tablet, not my laptop, so I'm not terribly concerned. However, it still has plenty of room for a laptop and accesories, and there is protection, I might just be a little causious.

Honestly, if you want a quality looking leather briefcase with great attention to detail, but you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, this is it. This is significantly cheaper than other places for similar products, and even priced the same, I would probably choose this briefcase because of how nice it is. It looks great, it's priced great, and if you need a present, it will sure to impress based on presentation.

Update: I haven't had any problems with the clasp like some mentioned, if you listen, there is an audible "click" sound, so not sure why people can't listen for the click to ensure it locked in place...

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the front latch!, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Kenneth Cole Reaction Luggage Flap-Py Gilmore (Apparel)
The case is beautiful to look at and has a nice feel to it. However, looks can be deceiving. This bag has one of the worst front latches I have ever used in a briefcase. It is extremely difficult to close as it has a sideways sliding hook action to it rather than a vertical button press. Don't buy this case. You will become frustrated after a few weeks of use. Expect your books and laptop to fall out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, May 18, 2010
I bought this bag about 2 months ago and frankly I hate it. The front latch is impossible to close and often pops open. If you use the shoulder strap the clips catch on the top of the bag and you need to untangle the strap from the bag before you can open it. I would not recommend anyone buy this bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Briefcase, May 18, 2008
Great briefcase, sturdy, elegant, lots of room!
Only downside is the latch sometimes comes loose when carrying if not secured properly. Only happened to me twice though.

5 out of 5!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but won't last, July 8, 2013
Kevin Valley (FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
Had this bag for over three years and note the following:
- Looks great
- Nuissance to open and close
- Material starts to look worn out over a while
- Hooks for shoulder strap often get hooked onto the bag which accelerates damage of the material
- Currently looking for replacement bag as inner compartment has been destroyed from occasional transportation of laptop (15 inch)

Do not purchase this bag if you are looking for a long-lasting product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reaction Flap, August 6, 2012
This review is from: Kenneth Cole Reaction Luggage Flap-Py Gilmore (Apparel)
I bought this item based on price and Kenneth Cole quality. I found the case to be jsut what I expected; plenty of room, high quality material, confortable shoulder strap and color. What I didn't expect and what has seemed to cause me the biggest pain is the clasp. It pops open, hard to close and does not function well at all. If the clasp was better, I would rate if 5 stars but since staying closed and providing ease in closing are fundemental elements of owning a breifcase, it falls short of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from Prague, June 26, 2010
We have more stages of satisfaction as this item was gift for my son in law.
I grant my full satisfaction with both services of Amazon and manufacturer of item. As i told it was the gift and it was in time at the delivery place.
the other stage:
I know , from reaction of presentee, item(=gift) was useful and practical for him. He enjoys my present. So satisfaction is on all sides. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up!, August 30, 2009
I bought it for a friend who is a teacher he likes it so much that I don't even knoe what to say. It is a great product, great finish and as light as it can be which is an excellent feature. I would certainly recommend it.

Kenneth Cole Reaction Luggage Flap-Py Gilmore