Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Outdoor Deals on HTL

Style Name: AdapterPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on September 3, 2006
If you travel overseas you will definitively love this adapter. Unlike other travel adapters that have several pieces that you need to carry around, this has all the plug connectors integrated into one compact self contained cylindrical unit in which you select the type of plug used in the country you are visiting. Absolutely the most practical unit I have used. It is also safe to use since it has a built-in fuse.

This may seems obvious but you need to know that this device does not convert the voltage so don't plug your electronic devices unless its power units states that the Input voltage ranges from 110 to 240 VAC @ 50-60 Hz (probably the most common around Europe, Asia and America).

Absolutely a most have if you travel with your laptop, digital camera, cell phone and other suitable devices.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2010
I've used this adaptor to run my laptop in China, France, Italy, England, and Ireland. Although it's made of plastic and feels a little fragile, it's really quite hardy and it's worked like a charm in every location. I've purchased several as gifts and always been treated as a hero afterwards.

One popular (and funny) one-star review on here claims that the adaptor doesn't work with grounded plugs. That's 100% wrong. It works with them in a hotel, it works with them in a motel. It worked with them in France, and when I used it to iron my pants. (Well to plug in my iron, anyway.) I've never used it on a boat, but it helped my computer write a note.

Okay so I'm not as funny as he is. But this thing really works.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
1,897 of 2,064 people found the following review helpful
on April 22, 2008
UPDATE JAN 2014 - Several people have said that they have been able to use this adapter with 3-pronged plugs and I believe them. It has been a long time since my initial review and I have to concede that it's possible that I just did not understand how to use the item correctly.

Of course, it IS still a problem if lack of instructions and non-intuitive design make it SEEM impossible to use the adapter as intended...

I'm leaving the review up as a monument to my previous frustration and as a reminder of the importance of "idiot-proof" instructions and intuitive design.
And also because it tickles me that my goofy review brought joy into the lives of so many people who were just looking for a way to get electricity to their electronics in exotic, far-off lands...(end update)

After hours of rattling through website after website, learning the difference between a converter and an adapter, having a crash course in watts and volts and hertz and computers and hair dryers and coming to the brink of insanity because, it seems, there isn't a website in existence that gives enough information about these accessories to learn what a 4-second encounter with the actual item in its package in a brick and mortar store would tell you (for instance: CAN I STICK MY COMPUTER PLUG INTO THE DAMN THING?!), I found this beauty. Here. And all my questions appeared to have been answered. So I, being the trusting soul that I am, purchased it.

Well, I didn't know what I didn't know until the product arrived.
Now I know what I didn't know.
I am livid.

Back it goes, to the place where junky products (that more information would have saved me the trouble of purchasing) go.
With PC Mover and that other adapter I bought from Dell (the one that was also, obviously, manufactured in a world where all the plugs have 2 prongs).

Did I mention AUUUUUGH!!!!!

On the off chance that this review will not get buried under the pile of reviews written by people with, apparently, no 3-pronged devices, I submit it to Amazon with a prayer for all of those people who are lucky enough to own portable computers or other electronics that come with 3-pronged plugs AND who are fortunate enough to be embarking on some sort of international travel:

(it's probably above this review in the place where other recommended products live. The Belkin comes from a world where 3-pronged devices exist and are plentiful, roaming the land with their electronic devices in tow, happily converting electricity from 120 to 240 and back again as they enrich their owner's lives with electronic goodness.)

Thanks for reading.
I don't know about you, but I feel better now.
9898 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2010
I understand that some people had some difficulty getting this plug adapter to work with 3-prong plugs. I did, too. However, to say that it doesn't work with 3-pronged plugs is absolutely false.

There is a hole in the back of the unit where the grounding prong goes when you plug in a North American plug into the unit. It's a very tight fit. So tight, in fact, that the back cover of the unit came off when I was trying to remove the test plug I put in there. But once the back cover came off, I noticed that it was nothing more than a hole. This plug adapter does not ground the item you plug into it. So it doesn't electrically connect to the grounding plug.

Therefore, I used my brain just a tiny bit and expanded the size of the hole for the grounding plug, first with a pocket knife, and then with a drill bit. Presto, 3-pronged happiness.

The most important things to take away from this are:

1. This unit does not ground the device you're plugging into it.
2. A little bit of brain power goes a long way.

Now, back to the plug adapter. It's not grounded, but it is fuse-protected. And the fuse is very easy to get to (on the front side is a small screw cover that opens to reveal the fuse), plus it stores a spare fuse in the back, behind that little cover that I accidentally pulled off when my 3-prong plug got stuck. It comes with one spare fuse.

Other than the issue with the grounding prong hole, the unit is very well designed. As you slide each adapter forward, small dust covers appear and close the slots for the other adapters (very well thought out). Compact, easy to use, and well designed with the exception of the grounding plug hole.
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2007
Read the fine print on this -- this product does not convert or reduce electrical voltage -- essentially what this does is provide a physical way for (insert your country's) plug to fit into (insert destination country's) plug. So if the country you are visiting runs on, say, 220, make sure that the device you want to plug into it can handle the 220 volts so that it doesn't blow up -- and that information will (typically) be handily located on the device itself (i.e., look at the small print on your phone charger, and see if it says 100-240V 50-60Hz)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2007
I have read a review that says this product also works in INDIA but came to know that neither of the given 4 different power plugs doesn't fit indian power outlets.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 8, 2006
used 2 of these while we were on vacation in egypt for 3 weeks. Never had a problem and they were flawless. To the gent that noted they fell out of the socket on him and they were to big...I can only say if you don't push them all the way in they and any other device you use will fall out...and there big because they can be used in th EU, Japan, Africa, US, ect... if you wish to spend the money on an all inclusive solution and travel to various parts of the world...then this is a good choice rather than having a hodge podge of adaptors lying about.
on March 30, 2008
Several people have said that this adapter does not work in China. I just got back home from a two-week trip encompassing Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong and this adapter worked in every single place.

It is true that some outlets (the ones with diagonal sockets) have a sort of "trap door" which makes it difficult to plug the adapter in, but I found that it's easy to work around that. What you need to do is angle the diagonal prongs downward as you insert them into the socket, and gently tap at it until the trap door pops open and allows the plugs in. It does take 5-10 seconds of jiggling around to make the door pop open, but the adapter _IS_ 100% functional and works totally fine once you get it into the socket.
on April 29, 2006
I reckon this is a great product. All the power inserts you'll ever need, in one neat lightweight unit - and it has USB. No world traveller should be without one.
on June 20, 2008
Based on some of the reviews, I'm concluding a lot of people haven't been to many countries where the voltage is 220-240. Yes, this is a plug adapter ONLY, it is NOT a voltage converter (Kensington says so right on their website: "Suitable for most consumer electronics. Does not reduce or convert electrical voltage. Not for use with high-watt devices such as hairdryers and irons. Please check electronic device specifications before using.")

That said, this adapter worked fine for me during my entire 10 day stay in Singapore. I charged both my Canon Digital SLR camera's battery via the Canon charger AND my Sony video camcorder via the AC adapter; I read the fine print on both products and they are both auto voltage switching. Make sure you do your research before you leave the country and you'll be all set with fewer headaches later on. :)

***11/8/2008 update***
There are some mixed reviews on using this in China. China has 3 types of outlets (all are 220 volts). It WILL work in the outlets which are the same three prong type used in Singapore and Hong Kong (this type can be found in Guangzhou). The other two types of outlets are either two vertical flat blades (look similar to the US type) OR two diagonal flat blades. This product WORKS FINE in the two vertical flat blades type outlet, BUT it's a hit or miss on the diagonal flat blades (sometimes they require a 3rd ground prong to be inserted and this adapter does NOT have that 3rd prong). I tried the "wiggle" method mentioned on another review and here's what I found from a recent trip to Guangxi and Yunnan Provinces when using the diagonal flat prongs:

Did not work in the hotels I stayed at in Guilin, Kunming, nor Shangri-la when using the diagonal flat prongs.

Did work in the hotels I stayed at in Dali and Lijiang when using the diagonal flat prongs.

Works perfectly in Hong Kong (uses the 3 prong type outlet).

Just as a reminder, this DOES work fine in China with the two vertical flat prong outlets (interestingly enough, in China they often have both the two vertical flat prong outlets and the two diagonal prongs with the 3rd ground on the same outlet faceplate).