4.0 out of 5 stars Gets rid of a ton of bricks for gadget freaks on the go
Published on November 5, 2005 by Bushido

3.0 out of 5 stars Preliminary review
This is based on a couple of days' experience.

The AC seems to work. Haven't tried DC yet.

It's lighter than the factory power supply for my Compaq Presario 2100. That's 18oz; this one is around 13oz without the DC cord; even with the DC cord it's a couple of ounces lighter. It's also a bit slimmer, though wider and a little longer.

It...
Published on July 31, 2005 by Jordan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets rid of a ton of bricks for gadget freaks on the go, November 5, 2005
Bushido (Naperville, IL) - See all my reviews
This is the perfect adapter for me as it powers both my notebook and all of my gadgets from a single brick. I use it for my notebook, DVD player, cell phone, mp3 player, guitar trainer and PDA. The Kensington is simple, compact and lightweight without a lot of fussy extra stuff to deal with. The iGo and Targus systems require a separate dongle for low-power devices like cell phones and CD-players.

"Brick" really isn't a good description though, because the Kensington transformer has a super slim profile and is lightweight. I bought the 120w version because some people reported trouble with the 70w on newer HP Compaq Business notebooks. I figured the 120w is good now and insurance against obsolesence in the future.

The power supply is just part of the picture though, as the real beauty of the system is the "smart tip" feature. I frequently fly on international and long haul domestic trips and like to take along my portable DVD player for entertainment. Instead of hauling heavy auxiliary batteries or having both a DC adapter for the plane/rental car AND the regular power bricks, cables and wall warts for AC, now all I need is a single power supply and the right tips.

It seemed like I was always forgetting to pack the one crucial component I needed, like the USB cable to charge my Tungsten T or the wall wart for my mp3 player. With this system, everything stays in one pouch in my carry-on briefcase and the OEM power supplies stay at home, no more sharing and forgetting....

On the downside, the AC power cord really needs to be longer. Now it hangs down off the wall with the weight of the brick straining the cord. This will eventually lead to failure and an electrical hazard unless replaced. Also on my wish list is a separate European two-prong power cord to eliminate the need to pack a plug adapter.

Technical support is a joke, as the call desk didn't even know that any of the DVD tips were available. Technical spec information is nigh on impossible to get. My DVD player wasn't listed on the website and I wanted to know which tip supplied 9v.

Good luck trying to find that out without a major research project. I wish Kensington would just publish a compatibility chart on the site and keep it current, instead of that goofy query-based tip selector. It is so out of date, that it doesn't list many of the DVD player models that have tips (e.g. Panasonic).

I wanted to find the right tip for my Philips PET1000 DVD player. I finally had to go to the manufacturer websites that Kensington makes tips for to dig out which one uses 9v (it was Panasonic). Bought the tip, works like a charm. This works for other devices that aren't listed too, like my Tascam gutiar trainer. If the tip fits your device without forcing or isn't loose, it is probably the right one. However, ALWAYS check the voltage and amperage first to avoid frying your stuff.

The bottom line is that this is head and shoulders above the other AC/DC systems out there. If Kensington can keep up the product support by making new tips for gadgets as they hit the marketplace, it could be around for a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device!, February 18, 2007
This review is from: Kensington 33362 Ultraportable Power Inverter 150 (Personal Computers)
I am very happy with my Kensington Inverter and recommend it highly. It has served me well on many road trips and airline flights.

Having a 3-prong outlet makes this a far more versatile and useful device than inverters that just have a tip for the laptop. It is by far one of the lightest devices of its kind that I have found and great for travel.

There are a few tricks of the trade when using these kinds of devices. One is that airline "empower" ports only put out 75W--and if you read the fine print it can get shut off abruptly at any time during the flight with no warning.

There ar a number of laptops that require more power than 75W--particularly if you are trying to charge the battery at the same time. No inverter can help you solve this problem but it is something to be aware of. In many cases you can either remove the battery or connect it and let it fully charge up before you turn the machine on and it will work fine.

And finally the box says 150 watts, but this is *peak* power which only lasts for a short time (such as the startup phase for your laptop). Sustained output is 120 Watts--just something to note in case you are running devices that require that reuqire a lot of juice.

But all in all this is a *great* little device and I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home, office, car and plane: Complete satisfaction in all settings, February 23, 2006
I purchased the Kensington Universal 120W AC/DC Power Adapter because I wanted a lightweight solution to keep my IBM/Lenovo T43 laptop powered through long airline flights. Kensington's product is a slick piece of engineering - the brick is actually lighter than the one that came with the T43 (that went in the closet immediately, probably never to return). And, it's probably < 50% of the weight of some of the previous AC/DC adapters on the market. Yesterday, a friend was telling me of some incompatibility between his DC adapter and the set-up in American Airlines coach. I've had no such issues. I've had the opportunity to employ my Kensington Universal 120W Adapter at home, office, car and plane and I've had complete satisfaction in all settings. And as for the previous reviewer's comment about the 5" cord, yeah, it does make for a rather odd, dangling effect, but I've not had a situation yet where I've been unable to make a connection because the brick got in the way (although I've had a couple of stares at Starbuck's when I cram the brick into the power alcove).

5.0 out of 5 stars One power adapter for all my portable electronics while traveling, August 4, 2006
Elton D. (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This power adapter is light, versatile, and performs its function very well, but verify that compatible tips are available for your specific devices.

It has replaced five power cables I used to lug around for trips, and worked perfectly in Europe and India on 220 volt supplies. It's actually lighter than my original Dell laptop adapter. The anywhere adapter also works with a 12VDC auto outlet and the Empower outlets found on many airlines.

This is a power adapter only, so it will not perform a data connection with your PDA, iPod, etc. - something to consider if synching while traveling is important to you.

The power cord from the outlet to the brick is 6" short. This is by design to allow the adapter to hang off the wall and have more air circulate around it. The adapter can get quite hot when drawing maximum power. I like the short cord because it's one less item to coil - just toss it in the bag. I've actually worn out two other power adapters by coiling the cords and causing them to fray. The cable from the brick to your device, in contrast, is extremely long (approx 3m/10ft). Kensington offers a retractable cable; I haven't bought it but it is intriguing.

A few more hints:

-The adapter comes packaged with several tips for the most common devices, including the iPod.

-Check to ensure a tip is available for your device. Kensington does not have the newer Nokia cell phone (AC-3U 1.5mm) tip; you can get the Nokia adapter for the older tip. There are tips available for digital and video cameras. Check that the tip is in stock! I had to look around for the BlackBerry one.

-Consider getting the dual charging cable. This is a splitter that powers two devices simultaneously (one high power such as a laptop and one low power such as a phone/PDA).

-The included zip case is awful. It's thin and the zipper split open easily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Preliminary review, July 31, 2005
Jordan Brown (Granada Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is based on a couple of days' experience.

The AC seems to work. Haven't tried DC yet.

It has built-in velcro straps on the cable. Cool, means I don't have to add my own.

The cabling is kind of interesting. The AC input cord is only about 5" long, so the power supply normally just hangs from the outlet. The DC output cord is about 10'. Both cords will detach from the PS itself, and then the DC output cord connects to one of several tips that select voltage and tip style.

The advertised capability to power almost anything is quite attractive, but I wasn't able to find anything about alternative tips at Kensington's web site. It'd sure be nice to be able to power my PDA and my cell phone, but they'll take unusual tips. Their compatibility page had lots of laptop computer coverage, and zero coverage of anything else.

When you combine the tip with the connector on the end of the cable, the result is about a 3.25" rigid connector sticking out the back of the computer. That make me nervous; it seems like it's asking to get broken or, worse, break the laptop. It may interfere with one of the major things I wanted this unit for - strapping the laptop to the center console in my motor home. A right angle connector would be better. The factory power supply has a right angle connector, and projects only 0.75" out the back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design, April 16, 2006
E. Chan (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
I was excited to see this when it came out because it is nice and thin. The weight is also a little less than the iGo Juice. When you are on the plane ever week, a few oz. matters.

After getting it, I am suprised to find that the AC cord is only 6 inches long. When you plug it into the wall, it hangs by the plug. You better hope you have a good tight wall socket or the weight of the adaptor will pull it half way out. Or, if you move the DC cord a little, like moving you laptop, guarantee that will pull the adaptor out of the AC socket.

Worst of all, it doesn't work when you have to plug it into a recessed location. I use it on the road and if I am at a customer's conference room that has a nice conference table with the plugs recessed into an opening (which is pretty often), the adaptor can't sit flat. It stick up from the table like a sore thumb. I even had a case where the cord just can't reach the socket.

Another problem is that there is no positive retention for the power tips. It is very easy to loose the tips by accident. The iGo has an indent on their power tips and I can leave the tip for my laptop on the cable all the time without accidential loosing it.

I give it 1 star for the good idea on the flat design but the rest of the design is forgettable. The design of the AC cord is plain stupid and as another reviewer noted, Kensington's explaination on why it is that way is even more stupid.

I returned it after a week and stick with my iGo until I can find something better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice adapter shame about the tips, July 13, 2006
As others have observed this a great power adapter. I use it as my standard power source both working away from the office and while flying or driving.

Rather than doing a detail review, here are some comments on points you might consider:

1. I've had an order in on the Kensington web site for a power tip for my Treo 650 phone since March. I've not been able to find one in stores in various parts of the USA or UK, and online just hasn't shipped. Make sure you can get the tips you need before committing to the power supply. I had a long wait before Kensington shipped the tip for my Sony DSC T1 camera, and the pack included two tips one of which I don't need, but I still paid $9.99

2. The tip for my Thinkpad T42 was lose and didn't stay in place especially on airlines. I've used the N3 tip which is a better fit, but you are left wondering if this is good for battery life?

3. The Kensington supply doesn't come with even a cheap pouch. The tips are small and easily dropped or lost if you carry multiples around with you.

4. As others have noted, the cable from a wall power outlet is very short. This can be a problem when walking around buildings look for a power boost!

5. The velcro tie cable on the power to device cable is very long.. and can also come off the cable. Kensington ought to have been able to come up with something more useful...

Still for the price much better than carrying two power supplies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great on the plane and in the car, July 27, 2007
I own another older power inverter that is heavy, bulky, and has a metal outer casing. This inverter from Kensington blows it away for a number of reasons:

1. It comes with an adapter for airplanes that fits into a standard cigarette lighter opening, or a smaller one that has become much more common. I didn't even know about the smaller connection until I bought this and had to use the smaller connector on my first flight.
2. It is exceptionally light and small. If you've ever owned an inverter, you'll pick this one up and be amazed at how light and small it is compared to older technology.
3. The cord from the connector to the base unit is a perfect length. It doesn't hang or dangle from the lighter like some other adapters I've used.

If you're debating getting something like this over the iGo, then I would recommend this. I've been through this internal debate before, and although I love to spend money on new technology, I just couldn't justify buying the iGo because of all the uncertainty about compatibility, tons of adapters, and price. I can handle the few power packs that I need to take on a trip... and this inverter works like a charm with anything that normally plugs into a wall socket.

I've used it on a 14 hour international flight (China) and a 4 hour domestic flight, as well as in the car and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I basically just use it for my laptop, but have also used it to charge my phone. I highly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited Availability of SmartTips, January 22, 2007
Michael (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
The 33197 power supply works well with my Compaq laptop, and its slim design is particularly appreciated when traveling. But, I would suggest researching the availability of SmartTip adapters before making a purchase. Kensington implies in their ads that the power supply will work for virtually any mobile device, but that's a significant overstatement. I have a Dell Axim x50v PDA and a Verizon LG VX8300 cellphone. These are widely-used products, yet there are no SmartTips for them. For the six months I've had the 33197 adapter, Kensington has listed the model number for the tip that fits my Dell PDA on their site, but it continues not to be available. I wrote the company to complain, and their response was simply to confirm that no tips are available for my devices. They gave no indication of when or if tips would be produced. So, if you're purchasing this adapter on the assumption that you'll be able to consolidate down to one power adapter, I would recommend you confirm availability of the required SmartTips prior to purchase. Just because your tip is listed on their site doesn't mean it's currently available. For me, the Kensington 33197 didn't eliminate a single adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars extra slim AC/DC & DC/DC laptop power adapter, August 8, 2005
brian100 (Rhode Island, USA) - See all my reviews
This is an extra-slim unit so it is the best laptop adapter that I've seen for traveling. It can take auto or air DC input (see below). It is rated at 120 watts so it handles my 90 watt Dell Inspiron 8200 nicely. This unit even powers my HP zd7000 with 17 in screen. This is even though the HP AC adapter is rated at 135 watts. Note that the HP zd8000 17 inch screen computers are not listed in the Kensington compatibility booklet, so I can't vouch for those computers. This unit features innovative built-in cooling fins that are embedded in the plastic case. This means there are no holes in the case so if you spill any liquid on it (not recommended), you have less chance of getting electrocuted. This unit is meant to hang down from the wall AC socket via a very very short AC cord. Do not lay the cooling fins on a rug or flat against any surface - you might cause overheating. The unit comes with 7 tips for a wide range of laptops, plus an iPod tip. It has a cool blue "On" light. It comes with an alternate cord for plugging into a standard automotive 12 VDC negative-ground socket. The alternate cord also has an airline in-seat power plug. I had a problem with a different model Kensington AC adapter, and their tech support does answer your emails and solves your problems.

Kensington 33362 Ultraportable Power Inverter 150