4.0 out of 5 stars Great product with a few minor quirks.
Published on June 17, 2011 by R. Ocampo

Published on December 16, 2011 by Traveler

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product with a few minor quirks., June 17, 2011
This review is from: Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and Audio Cable for iPhone/iPod, including iPhone 4S (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I love this Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and Audio Cable for iPhone/iPod. I guess they couldn't think of a shorter name for the product so they named it exactly what it does - a 2-in-1 cable that functions as a charger for your iPhone/iPod and has an audio cable out that plugs into an auxilary connection. Did you get that or did you want me to state it again? Just kidding.

I was looking for a cable that does exactly this and I was surprised that there are no other branded manufacturer that came up with a simple product similar to this. We see the same manufacturers that make in-car iPhone/iPod charger also make iPhone/iPod audio cables. Why is it so difficult to have them combine the product into one.

There are generic cables that do the same at less than half the price of this Kensington, but do not have the same make quality as this one.

PROS:

1. Thick cables enveloped in tangle-free nylon shielding. The outer nylon shielding adds to the cable's robustness as well as helps eliminate coiling up.
2. Semi-compact charger included with the cable that has a yellow light to indicate when there is power going to the charger.
3. The audio is taken from the direct iPhone/iPod line level out signal which is cleaner due to less processing apart from converting from digital to analog.
4. The headphone jack audio out is not used which is more cumbersome because you have to adjust the audio signal to maximum volume to get a similar line level out as the direct connection.
5. There is only one cable to plug to your iPhone/iPod in order to act as a charger and grab the line level audio at the same time.

CONS:

1. The charger portion could be made more compact just like the other auto chargers that are being made these days.
2. The connection to the dock needs more holding power as it is easy to yank out accidentally. There are some iPhone dock connections that you have to press on both ends to unlatch. This is what they should have done to this item.
3. Although the cables are thick and protected with an out nylon wrap, the audio cables should be made to be able to also detach when not needed if you only want to use it as a charger without the need for the other cable dangling unnecessarily. This also enables the user to replace the audio cable if it has been frayed or if they need something longer.
4. They should build into the cable a mini remote that controls the Play/Pause/Rewind/Skip functions so you don't have to fiddle with your device itself which is dangerous when driving.

I've seen reviews where some are complaining about audio interference issues which occurs where there is poor grounding of the vehicle power adapter and the car stereo. If there is no isolation then yes you will hear high pitched whining being fed into the audio portion. As for my experience, I have no issues like this on my vehicle.

The price is on the high side, but the construction and material quality versus similar generic cables makes paying this kind of price worth it.

I'm glad I passed on Griffin's iTrip DualConnect which provides the same direct line level out, but also combines an over-the-air FM radio solution which is inferior and unnecessary for users who are looking for an AUX audio connection. I'm surprised Griffin hasn't come up with this kind of no-brainer solution. But it's Kensington who thought about it and is reaping the rewards.

I would definitely recommend this product which is surprisingly one of the few you will find for a production combination like this. If they can work out the improvements above they will have a winner on the next product iteration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work very well, November 9, 2010
Bought this yesterday and really like it. The connector to the ipod is thru the bottom charge/sync port. The cord comes out of that, then divides in 2 -- one goes to the aux port and the other to the dc connector (cigarette lighter) in the car. (so the headphone port in the ipod touch is not used at all).
The only limitation is that the car's aux port & dc connector need to be close to each other for this to work.
In my car (a new Prius), the aux & dc connector are located inside the console storage area -- this is perfect with the Kensington device because I can tuck my ipod touch into the console and if I leave my car, it's not visible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cable works as advertised, November 30, 2010
F. Koh (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This product description wasn't too helpful when I first bought the cable, so hopefully my explanation will help some people to decide.

This is a Y-shaped cable that has a iPhone/iPod connector at one end, and on the other end a USB and a 3.5mm aux output. Also provided is a low profile Car 9V -> USB adaptor, from which you can use to charge your iPhone or just about anything else that takes a USB.

One con to this product is that the aux does not work if the power(USB) is not plugged in. I can't think of a reason why this should be the case. Otherwise, the product works as described.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great-Try immediately- May need "ground loop isolator", December 16, 2011
I purchased this for my 2006 Rav4 for using with my nano 6g. The aux and cigarette lighter are right next to each other so I thought this would be perfect. This product would have been amazing but I experienced the wheezing/static noise that others have experienced. That aside, the music would be excellent and construction quality is very good. With this hook up, it is not necessary to have to turn music on Ipod all the way up to get descent sound. Wrote Kensington and they acknowledge the problem but said the problem is with the connections on my vehicle and not the product. They recommended I purchase a "ground loop isolator" in order for it to eliminate the static I hear.

Updadate: It seems as though the customer support at kennsington will be shipping me this "ground loop isolator" free of charge.

Update: Just received "ground loop isolator" from Kensington customer support and now it works great! Sound is much better than going through the AUX port on the ipod and I am getting CD quality sound again. I don't have to max out the sound on the ipod in order to get decent sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just as advertised, February 5, 2011
A Kid's Review
4.5 stars. Works great and sounds so much better than running straight from the headphone jack. .5 stars off because the cord to the aux input is so short, but easily fixed by purchasing an extension.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much interference...., January 22, 2012
B. Hubbard (Green Cove Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
I use this in a 2008 Mazda - but the amount of background electrical noise when the car was running made it totally useless.

Several other reviews have complained of this, so I presume it depends on what kind of car you have as I tested it with several iPhones and that made no difference.

I submitted an online support ticket with Kenisington, and within about 10 days, I received a Ground Loop Isolater (GLI) from them (at not cost) which totally fixed the problem. While this 'add on' is bigger and heavier than the original product, since in my car it all just crams into the arm rest storage area, that doesn't really matter to me.

Bottom line - buying this version of the product is a gamble. It may or may not work for you, and while it's great the vendor stands behind the product, unless the aux plug in for your car stereo is hidden away where the bulk doesn't matter and you're willing to wait for the GLI, the fix isn't nearly as good as a product that just worked out of the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well!, January 10, 2011
I've been using this 2-in-1 audio cable for over a month, and have to say it works quite well. The audio is crystal clear and is 100% compatible with my iPod Touch 4th generation. As others have said, it is constructed quite well, and the fabric covering gives it a quality feel. After doing a lot of research, this is probably the best option for a direct line out to aux with charger available. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this over all other choices!, December 7, 2010
Tanner Cady (BOULDER, CO, US) - See all my reviews
I did much research on all similar ipod car chargers with line out connection for running a line level audio source to my Aux input in my car. This one had the best comments and for good reason! It is built very solid and should stand the test of time. The charging plug is slim and will work with any usb device which offers added versatility. The dock connector is very sturdy and does not wiggle or come unplugged like many others. The cable is black and fabric reinforced and looks very classy. Not the longest cable for the audio cord but a $2 coupler was a perfect solution. The audio quality is perfect and i get no ground loop distortion like i did with my old Belkin adapter. I have a new ipod touch and it charges perfect, most older adapters will not charge my ipod.

Long story short, A+ rating, spend the extra few bucks and order this adapter!

3.0 out of 5 stars Y cable, but no iPhone 4 bumper fitment..., August 24, 2010
It is an apple dock -> USB & 3.5mm jack Y cable, and quite nice cable at that.

However, the Apple dock cable they've used is to big to fit via an iPhone4 bumper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Play audio through your car stereo with the iPhone 5s/5c/5 Lightning connector!, November 4, 2013
M. Ho (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is part of the only solution that I can find to play audio in my cars with an aux port. I initially had this for my iPhone 4 and was disappointed that I could not find a Lightning to 3.5mm cable that was of high quality (there are many cheap copies that I would suggest to avoid). As I was doing my research, it turns out that the reason why the Lightning to 30-pin connector from Apple is so expensive is because it contains a DAC chip which converts the digital audio signal of the Lightning connector into the analog signal of the 30-pin. Success!

Pair this with either:
Apple Lightning 30 Pin Adapter 0 2M
or
Apple Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter

And you'll have your in-car solution that you used to have with your iPhone 4/4S/iPod.

On another note, this is a solid product. I've had one for a few years now and it's never gone bad on me. I just bought another one for this solution for the other car.

For those people who have issues with noise or interference, I had this issue in my 2006 Lexus IS250 as well. It's not the cable (though the cable can enhance the issue). You have a grounding problem with your audio port on your car. For my car, us owners fought hard and they finally had a service bulletin to add a grounding loop to the audio port, which took away the noise. Check with your dealer to see if your car has this issue. If they won't help you, I suggest getting this:
Kensington Reducing SmartPhone including iPhone

I have several of these and they've worked well for me in the past. It should work for you, though you might have to get a female-to-female 3.5mm adapter to connect all the pieces together.

Rate and Discover Movies