1,120 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Without Fear
Almost every day I work for hours using a Computer Aided Design program, and over the years have found the Kensington Expert Trackball to be an indispensible labor (and arm) saving device. You get so much with so little movement! I was looking to buy a new one.
Published on February 4, 2004 by Platypus Rex

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird angle of trackball caused me problems
Published on January 20, 2007 by Borias

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Without Fear, February 4, 2004
This review is from: Kensington Expert Mouse Optical USB Trackball for PC or Mac 64325 (Personal Computers)
I had misgivings about this product after reading some "Worse than Bad" reviews that were in this forum. Still, either because hope springs eternal or a fool and his money are soon parted, I went ahead and ordered one.
Out of the box ball rotation was _The Worst_ as others had said. I had deadlines, however, so decided to use it to see if anything would improve. Two hours later it had "broken in".
Trackball Wizards, my number five is on the trophy shelf. The Seven is AAMMAAZZIINNGG. Totally silent movement; virtually frictionless rotation; excellent functionality, and it has GOT to have one of the most eloquent designs of any input device on the market.
As an added bonus the scroll ring beats any scroll wheel I have used, anywhere.
Congratulations to Kensington for creating a truly superior product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Major improvements to a classic design, November 21, 2003
This is a superior alternative to the silver and blue USB model by Kensington with the awkwardly placed scrollwheel. Kensington brings back their award-winning classic design, adds a scroll wheel around the ball (programmable for lefties or righties!), a free attachable wristpad and all using optics - no more skin, hair and potato chip crumbs getting stuck in scroll wheels... it's all done using light.
My less than perfect rating is for the less-than-fluid turning of the scroll wheel. It sometimes feels like you're grinding coffee when you're turning it. Sometimes it's smooth like butter, other times, it seems to skip a little... and it's not due to debris, since it's been like this since I got it out of the box.
This is something Kensington needs to iron out in their next model.
Despite this one flaw, this is simply the best their is and there's a good reason why this mouse flies off the shelves at nearly 100 bucks a pop - it's because it's the best input device alternative to a mouse - ever - anywhere.
Do your wrist a favor and treat yourself to navigating in joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars it had a lot of potential, April 5, 2006
I got this trackball because of wrist pains in my mouse hand. I will give my complete unbiased review here.

First, it is very pretty. The buttons are nice looking and easily clicked. The ball is a nice size.

The trackball comes with a wrist rest, however it is not comfortable if you use your fingertips to move the ball. In fact, the Kensington documentation states that your hand should "hover" when using your fingertips to move the ball. The reason is, when you move the ball towards you, your fingers have to bend and your wrist bends upwards. In order to keep your wrist straight, you have to hover your palm over the wrist rest. So why did they include a wrist rest?

The only other configuration possible is to rest the blade of your hand, pinky side down, on the wrist rest and use your thumb to move the ball. This position feels good, however I found I am much less accurate with my thumb. Also if you have any thumb pain, this position is not feasible.

The scroll ring is a very nice feature. However, as everyone else has found, it sounds like it has sand in it when rotated. I took it apart and lubed it with a plastic safe grease. Even though I worked the grease into the mechanism, the plastic bearings still make the grinding sound while saturated in grease. I can't get to them to see if they can be replaced without breaking the plastic, which has been melted closed.

The ball was stiff out of the box. The ball sits on three very tiny red balls, which act as bearings. Remove the ball and put a small dab of grease on these bearings, replace the ball and spin it, then remove the ball and clean it. Clean up all the lube from the bearings so they don't get the ball greasy. Then ball is then VERY smooth, with none of the "static friction" that is mentioned in other reviews. The grease to use is Radio Shack Multi-Purpose Lube Gel item #64-2326. Any plastic safe, non-evaporating lube should work.

I imagine after a few hours of use the ball would also become "broken in" and loose, but probably still not as good as with the lube.

After two days of use, two of the three small plastic cups that hold the little red ball bearings for the main ball broke. It seems the only way for this to happen would be if I dropped the ball in the socket very hard, which I did NOT do. The little cups do seem that the are easily broken, though I have not read anyone else having this same problem, so it could be an isolated incident. I have contacted Kensington for a replacement. I hope they can help. If I can keep my broken trackball, I will take apart the scroll ring bearings and see if it can be improved.

The drivers for the device are superb, although the user interface is sometimes awkward. You can set actions for each of the four buttons or when you press the top two or bottom two at the same time. Further, you can have it do different actions when any of those buttons are pressed with ctrl, alt, shift, or any combination of the three.

The actions you can take are extensive. You can run an application, simulate a series of key presses, paste some text, close applications, show a customizable menu, maximize windows, etc. Good job Kensington!

The acceleration settings are very important. The trackball has to be accurate for small movements, yet you shouldn't have to paw at the thing to move the cursor across the whole screen. This cannot be accomplished using any combination of the "fine tuning" controls the driver provides. The acceleration curve they allow you to create is much too linear.

Fortunately there is still hope. On Windows, in your user's home directory, look in Application Data\Kensington\MouseWorks. You will find a KMW_Preferences.xml file. Edit this file with a text editor and you can define your own acceleration curve. To do so, under "Acceleration" set the "Level" to 1, then modify the numbers of the first "Multipliers" entry. I found 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 13, 20, 26, 36, 90, 90 to work exactly like I want. After editing and saving the file, run the kmw_prb_xml.exe file in your MouseWorks installation directory. This will causes your changes to the XML file to be applied. Then if you go to the acceleration page in the driver, you will see your custom acceleration curve on their little graph!

With my custom acceleration curve I can accurately make small movements for clicking links, menu items, and expanding folders while navigating a filesystem. Also, I can travel the whole screen height with just one movement of the trackball. Perfect! Kudos to Kensington for allowing the preferences file to be customized so easily and for providing such great options for configuring the button presses.

The device had a lot of potential. If Kensington would make the scroll ring silky smooth and make the little red ball bearings more durable, the product would be amazing. As it is now, the scroll ring is cheap feeling and annoying, but it is a great feature to have. A scratchy scroll ring is better than none and it can be lived with.

The durability of the bearings is still a question I have. I hope to find a positive response from Kensington regarding my replacement inquiry and hopefully the next one I get won't break.

The only other negative aspect is the wrist rest is useless for 80%+ of people who will use the trackball with their fingertips. In fact it is better to not attach the rest because you will find yourself using it, putting your wrist in a bent position.

It would be great to have a trackball that could be used with the fingertips and had a rest for the wrist. To see what I mean, detach the wrist rest that comes with the Expert Mouse. Put a book under the rest and use it that way. Pretty comfy huh?

In all, it is a good device. If my suggestions are fixed in the next version, it would be a KILLER device. Granted, I don't think there is another trackball as good as this one, but that doesn't mean this one should not be improved. As is, it is a bit overpriced. The ball, buttons, and plastics are nice, but the scroll ring and bearings don't have the quality of a $100 device. A more realistic price would be $45-$50. I see it can currently be found for $60 from Amazon after a mail in rebate, so that is an ok buy.

Please Kensington, please fix the problems above and provide us with the BEST mouse replacement the world has ever seen!

UPDATE: I sent Kensington an email regarding my broken trackball and 90 minutes later they responded and have shipped me a new trackball. Now that is great service!

I took apart my broken trackball and inspected the bearings for the scroll ring. It uses rubber rollers on one side and tiny white plastic ball bearings for the other side. The rollers don't make any noise, the problem is the plastic bearings rub against plastic and metal. Greasing it does not help. The design is flawed and there is no way possible to fix the scroll ring so it rotates smoothly. Another reviewer mentioned that taking out the magnet helps. I don't recommend this as it does not reduce the noise and makes the ring rotate too easily (possibly on accident).

So Kensington has something to improve on, though even with its noise, I am glad to have it.

UPDATE: Unfortunately the MouseWorks software doesn't work on Windows 7. I have heard it also doesn't work with Vista. There are rumors it will work if it can be run in compatibility mode, but this only works for 32-bit Windows. 64-bit definitely does not work, and there is no workaround.

The trackball still works, you are just unable to change what the 4 buttons do and you have little control over the mouse acceleration.

I contacted Kensington about this and they suggested I sign up to beta new Kensington trackball software that will work on Windows 7. I did so, but apparently the software is not ready for the public to beta. As of 5/2010, it is unknown when the beta will begin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird angle of trackball caused me problems, January 20, 2007
As a longtime trackball user (with one of my favorites being an older model of the Kensington Expert mouse) I was very excited about this one. The features were outstanding, the trackball movement and precision flawless, and the scroll ring was very useful. However, the trackball housing itself is constructed on a very steep incline. Even with the wrist pad that's included, it put my fingers in a big strain to operate the ball (I have average sized hands). It's tilted up, so that you have to reach up and out to use the ball. This puts strain on the tendons of your whole hand, and also presses the nerve cluster at the base of your hand against the pad or table. After using it for about a week, my hand was in agony.

Earlier Kensington Expert Mice were almost flat, and were very comfortable. It's baffling to me why they made this change in the design.

Kensington did take this mouse back for a refund even though I had used it for a week (all I could stand). It may be that this unit is comfortable for someone with very large hands. I've gone back to my Logitech Marble Mouse, regretfully -- if not for the incline, the Kensington would have truly been the perfect trackball.

3.0 out of 5 stars How Kensington's awesome product became obsolete over night, August 23, 2007
If I were still living in a Windows XP world, this trackball would get 5 stars.

If I were only considering Kensington's attitude toward Vista support, it would get 1 star.

Here are the words straight from the horse's mouth:

"With the release of Microsoft Vista there is no further need for the Mouseworks application as key features and functionality formerly provided by Mouseworks is incorporated into Vista. Vista supports programmability and configuration needs such as acceleration, application launch (keyboards), settings for right or left handed users, scroll speed, et cetera. Our plan is to continue to tap into the rich functionality and configuration options which Microsoft Vista incorporates."

It would be great if this were true. However, it's simply false. Vista does not allow you to reprogram your mouse buttons at all, excluding the ability to "Swap left and right buttons."

Under Vista, you are stuck with the following buttons / functions:
* Left and right click (swappable under the Mouse control panel).
* Center click (top left button)
* Page back (top right button)

Features you are missing under Vista:
* Button programmability (launch apps, keyboard shortcuts, macros)
* Chording
* Contextual application mapping
* Precise mouse sensitivity settings / velocity
* Contextual mouse sensitivity

If you plan to use Vista, this is not the mouse for you.
I would suggest Logitech as an alternative, however the truth of the matter is that there is no trackball on the planet that can compare to the Expert Mouse. The bottom line is that without Mouseworks, this trackball is simply way too expensive to be justified, considering it basically becomes a non-programmable 2-button trackball w/ scroll ring.

I have been using Kensington Turbo / Expert Mouse trackballs since the Turbo Mouse 4.0 on MacOS. It's a shame to see this company, who has always delivered the total package with hardwre and software, turn their backs on their customers like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't like taking apart brand new purchases...but,, July 15, 2005
I just got my first bout of tendonitis and though I needed an all around upgrade to my keyboard and pointing device. I picked up the Kinesis Advantage keyboard which is amazing! The learning curve is difficult but well worth it.

I then picked up this Trackball with high hopes. Like the others have said, the construction is fine...if it had cost a lot less. This thing cost single digit dollars to manufacture. Cheap feel aside; I'm quite happy with the ball movement and tracking. The software looks pretty good with a lot of flexibility.

The scroll wheel is another story.....

This wheel grinds so much; I expected to find plastic shavings inside the case. After a few hours with it, I couldn't take it anymore. But, I don't know of many alternatives....so I took it apart and it is now 75% better.

Here is what you do (if you are daring enough): remove the four screws on the bottom. They are hidden below the rubber feet, which just peel off. You can now take the device apart. Once open, you will find a small metal bar mounted in the front right side of the circuit board. This is a magnet! In an attempt to give the stepped feel of some scroll wheels, the geniuses at Kensington decided to use a magnet. The magnet is attracting the metal of the scroll wheel (which has a series of squares cut into it for the optical sensor...sort of like the edge of a film strip) to attempt to snap it to each step. This design would be great, if the wheel had a proper bearing. So the magnet does nothing more than increase the friction of the movement. Remove the magnet by using a small screwdriver or pin to poke the plastic spring retainer from the center. The movement will be much better now!

I think it would also help to put a little grease in the wheel where the plastic rubs. You need to remove the two screws in the bottom of the "cup", where the ball sits. You should be able to figure out where the friction point is once you look at the underside of the cup. Be warned though, that many greases/oils can damage plastic so be careful. You might be able to find proper plastic grease at a hobby store.

Good luck! Hope that helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, August 30, 2008
I bought this product because I was suffering from repetitive stress injuries from using a mouse. Initially, I was ecstatic with this trackball. The interface is slick, the ball works well, and the scroll wheel worked superbly. But about 6 months into ownership, the scroll wheel stopped working. I contacted Kensington and they sent me a replacement for free. I figured it was just a freak incident. I was so pleased with this $99 trackball that I bought a second one for my work computer. Six months after purchasing that one, the scroll wheel died. I asked for another replacement and they sent one for my work computer. It's now about 6 months later and, surprise, surprise, the track wheels have both died again. I'll probably contact Kensington again and hope they'll send new replacements. But I'm definitely not going to recommend this product to anyone else. If the scroll wheel held up, I definitely would as everything else about it is great. But there is something wrong with the design of the scroll wheel. If that's an important feature to you, just be prepared to replace this every 6 months. I can't believe this is just a fluke when 4/4 have had the same problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mousing device, July 2, 2007
After much shopping and debate, I bought this Kensington executive trackball--I know, it's much more expensive than the others. But this expense is justified--espcially if you're having physical pain from the ergonomy (or lack thereof) of your workstation.

I've tried dozens, yes dozens of input devices because I spend 12 hours per day on the computer. There is no product superior to this one. The price is justified.

No other track ball will give you the 4 button programmability (which I don't use--There's setup fine right out of the box). You also get a perfectly designed wrist, pad wrest (that even covers the Kensington logo, so you don't have to stare at some marketing jerks bright idea). Modest. But the sin qua non, is the scroll ring. I couldn't find any other trackball that had it and it IS an indespensible tool.

In the first 5 minutes you use the trackball, it seems "slippery". But literally within 5 minutes of normal use, it becomes intuitive to your touch. I use a dual monitor setup, so I have to make sweeping mouse moves across two screens. I can do this easily without repositioning my hand on the ball. The buttons are very large and ideally places (for either left or right handers). It even comes with an ergonimics guide to help you setup your workspace to minimize joint stress. I also had fits with my mouse being difficult to control or to get into just the right spot for clicking on a small target. Without even loading the software disk that came with, this trackball moves the mouse perfectly--accurate, smooth. It is an optical reader, so I don't understand the other complaints about it needing daily cleaning. I'll check back to let you know if I find it a problem. But it may be a case of someone surfing porn with sweaty palms. It's otherwise hard to imagine a problem like that.

Anyway, I not much of a product reviewer (and at my age, I'm very difficult to impress). But this is clearly one of those few times, when I got what I paid for (and perhaps, a little more).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Trackball mouse I've used!, June 12, 2005
After developing some pain in my wrist and forearm, I began to re-explore using a trackball. I was an avid trackball fan, but when my last trackball (an old MS trackball, since discontinued) gave up the ghost I went back to standard mice, using primarily MS Explorer Mouse.

I checked out the MS Intellipoint trackball, but did not like the layout or the cheap look to it. I did end up purchasing the Logitech Trackman wheel mouse, but after a few days just couldn't get comfortable using a thumb based trackball. So I took the plunge and purchased the Kensington Expert Optical Trackball. It was love at first use!

The trackball is a very decent size, just about the size of a billiard ball. The action of the ball is smooth as silk and easy to control with just the finger tips. Four buttons are on the unit and the right and left click buttons are conveniently assigned to the lower 2 buttons, making a mouse click a thumb press away (although the Kensington software will let you re-assign the buttons to your own preference).

The scroll wheell around the trackball is just brilliant. The wheel seems to have slight detents when scrolled, it think leading the "scratchy" comments that have been made. However, the slight resistance of the scroll wheel isn't that bad and I've found has led to slightly more precise scrolling - instead of encountering a free spinning wheel that's difficult to be accurate with. Concerning some of the comments that you can't turn the scroll wheel without moving the mouse, I've yet to encounter that. I tend to use the scroll wheel from the side so I've not experienced moving the mouse while scrolling.

As for the comments that the unit appears "cheaply" made, well all I can say is my unit has a very solid and satifying appearance, with all buttons working perfectly.

All said, this is probably one of the finest trackball mice I've used and well worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a worthy sucessor to the Turbo Mouse, December 1, 2003
I thought this was going to be the perfect input device. After all it looks like the old Turbo Mouse (v. 4 &5) and it does have that ingenious scroll ring. But after a few hours I packed it up and returned it.
While it does look right, it doesn't feel right. The old Expert and Turbo mice had a steel ball bearing movement that felt great: smooth and steady. While the new Expert Mouse 7 may have better technology (optical tracking) it doesn't feel the same at all. Upon closer inspection you'll see plastic nubs that support the main track ball where there used to be steel rollers. While I'm not advocating that they lose the optical sensor I don't see why they couldn't have kept the steel wheels that gave the unit such great feel.
That being said, it does look great and the scroll ring is also very nice. I just wished they hadn't changed what made the old Expert/Turbo mice so great.