Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kensington MicroSaver Retractable Keyed Laptop Lock (K64538US)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Size: 1-Pack|Change

on November 18, 2008
The photo of this product doesn't make this fact completely obvious, but the cable is about a fifth of the diameter of the standard Kensington security cables. I imagine it could be cut with a good pair of heavy duty wire cutters without too much difficulty, but it's probably good enough for the average thief.
on June 5, 2009
Well I suppose the only way to find out how strong the really thin cable on this is, is to go at it with pliers. But I am not about to do that. Keep that in mind. There'll always be some uncertainty and doubt in your mind about leaving your precious laptop behind.

I wish that Kensington had something to say about that - surely the thin cable is the first thing people will wonder about when they see this. Does the absence of any reassuring words mean that (1) they do actually know that it isn't the most secure and/or (2) that they think it is more a deterrent than a real security measure, but saying so will hurt their chances of selling this?

The only way to cast some of those doubts away is by using it in a relatively secure place to begin with, some place that has a steady flow of people in the first place. I would not leave my laptop behind in a coffee shop or my library or student lounge, without locking it. And in those places, I wouldn't mind using this, because any miscreant trying to fiddle with the lock or the cable is bound to be noticed. But I would probably use this only in those kinds of places. For anything that you would deem less secure and/or more secluded, go with the thicker cables. (The reason why I bought it in the first place is to use in my library, the Grad Student Center and the Chinatown bus, so I'm quite pleased with my purchase.)

The length of the cable could be a bother for some people too. It really is quite short. On a regular size table, you computer cannot be more than 1.5 or 2 feet from the edge/corner if you use this on the front leg of the table.

Unfortunately there isn't much choice out there with retractable locks (which is something I was looking for). This is the only one by a company of some repute. I searched about aplenty, including a bunch of computer stores, but this is really the only one.

The price on Amazon is quite good. I don't follow however, why it moves around about $1.

Hope this helps!
on February 3, 2009
I prefer key locks (combos will sometimes get stuck in your computer), and this one is excellent. The chord is very thin, but the deterrent effect is enough to keep it safe unless you're leaving it in an empty room. My major quibble is that the chord is too short. If you are working on a wide desk or the part of the desk to which you want to tie the cable is opposite the lock, the cable will not reach.
on April 9, 2015
I was searching for a laptop lock that I could travel with and this little doohickey fit the bill. Cable gauge isn't quite as large as a "regular" laptop lock but this cable is more of a deterrent than anything else. Gives you a little piece of mind for those times you have to step away from your laptop when your at a coffee shop or any "public" place for the matter. The rectractable cord is a bonus as it saves room in my bag and let's face it for those with mild OCD it's just tidier! Comes with 2 keys which takes a little bit of jiggling to open the lock but I've found that issue with any laptop lock. My only concern is the retracting mechanism but so far so good with only limited use though. Would recommend and buy again.
on June 11, 2014
I carry this along with my laptop when I go to public places and use it to quickly lock it to the chair. It saves you having to constantly look back when ordering another coffee or asking a stranger to watch it as you go to the toilet. Yes, the cable is thin but this is not a lock to protect from home burglars and professional thieves, rather to prevent opportunistic would-be thieves and anyone else who doesn't walk around with bolt cutters or strong pliers.
on November 28, 2013
It's nice not to have a loose or rolled up cable in my bag. The cable is pretty thin, but it retracts and loops around things for security well. It takes up much less space than the one I was carrying and I don't have to fight with it to get it rolled up and strapped together. There is a button on the side, to release and retract the cable. It's built well, and I've used it numerous times without any issues or looking like a goofball unwinding a massive laptop lock at a borrowed desk. Just push the button, pull out the cable, loop around something, through the hole in the lock base and then lock to a laptop or something with a slot using the key.

The only thing I would caution, is that if your laptop or device has a deep lock slot, (i.e. you've used the locks that come with spacers and those fit tight without any spacers at all), this lock might be a really tight fit. If your device normally has a little bit of play when locked, this should be just fine. I've used it on a Macbook, Dell Latitude and HP elitebook without any issues.

And it weighs less than my mouse (logitech anywhere mx), so you wouldn't be carrying a lot more weight with it in your bag or suitcase. It feels pretty close to the weight of an iPhone 5.
on November 10, 2010
==Kensington Retractable Notebook Lock==

PROS: of all the notebook locks available on Amazon, this is the best product in theory. Retractability means you can carry the device easily around with you--which, if you're locking your notebook to begin with--means you probably need to do anyways!

CONS: I'm surprised by the great reviews on this device because for me, the Kensington lock felt much cheaper than expected in several ways. Retractability was not smooth; on my device, I had to manually "guide" the cord back into the device, even with the retract button pressed. Once that's over with, you have to carefully guide the lock portion of the device back into the plastic rails that hold it in place. Overall, the whole device felt too plastic-like and even breakable--surprising for a device made by Kensington. As other reviewers have noted, the cord is rather short and certainly cuttable, though I could have accepted these had the other qualities worked out. The fact that this device relies on keys is a true annoyance; who wants another key to carry around with them? Combination locks are more portable and would have been better suited to a device geared towards portability. Opening the lock with the key is, also, not as easy as it may seem. The lock itself seems quality constructed, but inserting the key and freely rotating it to unlock your computer is a bit more challenging when your laptop is sitting locked on a table--something to consider. Finally, the Kensington lock is bigger than you might expect from pictures. It's not as compact as I expected, and this begins to outweigh its convenience as a portable lock.

BOTTOM LINE: it's a GREAT idea that I hope will be picked up by other companies. But the larger size of the thing and its cheap plastic-like feel, combined with a (annoyingly keyed) lock that's difficult to retract and set back in place, begins to outweigh what the Kensington would have provided in convenience. I returned this lock in favor of a loose combination cord lock.
on December 25, 2013
I bought this to secure my laptop when traveling and in hotels. I've been using it for about a year with no issues and yes if someone had a good knife and a pair of wire cutters they could go through the cable like a hot knife through butter but I bought this to make folks think twice not to stop a hardened thief.
on February 1, 2012
I bought this product even though many reviews were poor. The device is a great size and the concept really valuable to me. But...the device is too frail (all plastic) and the retraction mechanism broke on the first pull. The cord is very thin, but works to keep the casual thief away. The cord is only about 3.5 feet long. At the library I could not get it around a leg of table and back up to me laptop without working on it at the edge of the table...risky to fall off kind of close.
Overall, great concept. POOR QUALITY and need revised design for durability. Another thing that would help if the Mfg is listening to any feedback at all...put a lock receiver in the bottom of the device so that you can just make one loop around other items like a bag or luggage. It would extend its use and let it reach more items..
NOT WORTH THE MONEY AND WONT LAST. ;(
on March 19, 2014
I've had a number of laptop locks over the years that loosely connect to the laptop. It seems to me it wouldn't take much for someone to snap the lock off since there is so much give. Add to that trying to keep the lock cable nicely coiled in your computer bag. This one is great because it locks close to the laptop and you can make it as short as you want to - the excess cable rolls back inside the case. Realistically if someone wants you laptop bad enough none of these locks will keep them from stealing it. It just keeps the honest people honest. This lock is just a great innovation on something we've been using for years

See 1 answered question