4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job: makes an anchor point
I bought two of these to attach to workspaces that do not have a convenience place to loop a security cable.

Published on December 13, 2011 by Ed Arpawong

The plastic just pops off and could be unscrewed really easily. I could have made one more secure with the right kind of gate hardware from any hardware store.
Published 5 months ago by Dave Scrabeck

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job: makes an anchor point, December 13, 2011
Ed Arpawong (Laguna Niguel, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kensington K64613WW Desk Mount Cable Anchor (Personal Computers)

The product is a metal plate that can be fastened to a surface (more on this below) with a swivel that you can pass a security lock through. The swivel also has a Kensington security slot if you happen to have a cable that has a fitting that goes into a security slot on both ends. The plate comes with a gray plastic cover with a big "Kensington" on it. If you move the swivel around, you hear the metal clanging around -- not a security issue, but more industrial and a bit unrefined.

The metal plate attaches to a surface by adhesive tape and/or screws. The included screws are one-directional, meaning they can be screwed in, but the head design has a smooth surface (not a flat edge) so that a screwdriver cannot unscrew it.

I attached the plate to a stud in the wall to be very secure. I found the included screws a bit short so for extra security, I recommend getting additional longer one-directional screws to go deeper into the wall stud.

Bottom line is that it does the job. Could be better with longer screws and designed so that the swivel doesn't make any noise when moved around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but it works well, May 6, 2011
I bought this product to keep my laptop locked to the table in my bedroom where I keep it. I couldn't use the screws because of the table material, so I just used the adhesive. It is good and strong. Yes, I could probably get it off if I really wanted to, but if someone took the time and energy to get the anchor off I would definitely notice it. The idea is to keep someone from just walking off with my laptop when my back is turned (or I'm in the bathroom). I'm not stupid enough to think that the lock would be able to stop a determined thief who had time to work on it. It is just right for me. I bought another one for my desk, which is much sturdier. I also keep my bedroom door locked when I'm gone (I put a deadbolt on it). There isn't anything else that would be worth the money for the little bit of extra protection it would give and I'm satisfied.

If you want to keep people from taking your laptop in a public setting, you might not like this item. There aren't too many public settings where you would have authority to install it anyway. If you want to keep someone from casually walking off with your computer in a more private setting, this works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence in anchor, September 21, 2011
this anchor was super easy to install but i feel very confident that it can't be easily removed from my desk. I used both the glue and the screws to secure it (better safe then sorry). Within minutes of setting to lock in place, prior to putting the screws in, i gave the lock a tug, no movement. Then I pulled harder, i realize it was only stuck for a few moments and i was stupidest to let it set for 24 hours but i wanted to check. Still after all my pulling, it didn't budge!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install., March 10, 2014
When there's no secure item to afix your cable to, this is a fine alternative. I highly suggest that it be installed into a wall stud and using extra long screws so it can't be ripped from the wall though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Installation easy, used both screws and mounting tape combined., September 4, 2013
Amazing, two one way screws, the mounting tape, and the tamper-resistant box is a better anchor than a wooden peg from the desk. Will buy another for monitor. Works great on xbox 360, thanks!

2.0 out of 5 stars ... plastic just pops off and could be unscrewed really easily. I could have made one more secure with ..., August 13, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, and worth the price, March 26, 2014
Very easy to install, and the peace of mind was well worth the price, which really, is very reasonable also. Be aware that these aren't guaranteed to stop a thief, but they would definitely slow them down if they are installed properly. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 31, 2014
Very easy to install using screws and/or the complementary tape. The glue on it is very strong.

4.0 out of 5 stars other options than this, July 5, 2014
A cheaper option than this would be a "I" bolt from a home improvement store. a $2 i bolt, a nut, a one way washers and some lock tight.

you drill a hole in the mounting surface (desk) and put the i bolt in and tighten with nut, washer and locktight.

More secure and cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 7, 2014
It does what it supposed to do

Kensington K64613WW Desk Mount Cable Anchor