4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product (works with iPad 3rd Gen)
Published on August 8, 2011 by Ezy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard, a bit bulky overall, needs a desk
Let's start off with the good parts about this product: the keyboard itself connects well, charges without any problems, feels decent, and has all the shortcuts for your iPad that you'd want.

Published on August 26, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard, a bit bulky overall, needs a desk, August 26, 2011
This review is from: Kensington Apple iPad 2 KeyFolio Pro Performance Case For iPad 4 with Retina Display, iPad 3 and iPad 2 (K39357US) (Personal Computers)

There are three problems though. The first is that the case, when closed, presses the keys into the iPad screen, so a screen protector is a must. The second problem is the entire case is a bit bulky, bulkier than it needs to be. The iPad is effectively within a case, then the case is enclosed in a second layer of casing that makes everything a bit awkward.

By far and away the most annoying issue with this keyboard/case, though, is that there is pretty much one viewing angle it works at. This means your iPad is only useable with the keyboard when you are sitting at a desk. I like to use my iPad in bed, or in class where the small, seat-side tables are quite low. As it stands, I can't, and am going to have to make a set of stiff hinges that will slot onto the areas on the case where there is movement so that I can decide what viewing angle I want it at, rather than being forced to use an annoying one. I think that the Trent case may have this functionality, but sadly am a poor college student, and can't buy multiple accessories till I find the right one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product (works with iPad 3rd Gen), August 8, 2011
I bought the keyboard because of the look of the keys and spacing of them. The keyboard is of a better quality than most other Keyboard/Cases. Typing is fine for me on the keyboard. Battery life on the Keyboard is Amazing, I get just over a week with moderate use each day, meaning about 2-3 hours of active typing and about another 2 hours when it 'Sleeps'. Other than that I turn the switch off and tote it around.

I use this tablet for Med School and I dont like the way in which it folds. You only get one viewing angle when you are typing, which is really fine, then you can move the flap over the keyboard and just use the iPad in a standard tilt. But if you want the iPad on a flat surface you flip the case around and the keyboard is touching whatever surface you place it on. Not to fun when holding my iPad and trying to scroll through things while holding it in this manner. I do like thought how sturdy it is. I can type on any surface from a table to my lap with no problem. I enjoy sitting back on my couch and pounding through some notes with a sturdy keyboard surface.

As has been mentioned the case is a bit thicker than some but I dont use this as a case to carry, I close it and stuff it in my backpack.

The part where you place the iPad2 secures it nicely and it will stay in no problem.

I do wish there was some sort of latch or strap that kept the case closed. Im thinking about putting in a magnet or just asking my wife for a hair tie to wrap around it.

All round it is an amazing case for the iPad. Im using my iPad as a mobile word processor and the keyboard has helped tremendously! Its a good sturdy case with a really nice keyboard. For the price 60-70 I think its one of the better ones in this price range.

UPDATE:
I bought the new iPad (3rd Gen) and the case works with it. It pairs right away with the new iPad and still gets the same great battery life from the keyboard with the new iPad.

Update: 12/1/12
I've now had the case for about a year in a half and it is going strong. Some wear and tear but nothing that would not be expected. The Battery life is still great! I use this case everyday and Im glad to say it is holding up to the use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall I recommend this product., September 2, 2011
I purchased this Bluetooth keypad/cover for my iPad 2 a week after I got my iPad. While the on-screen keyboard was "OK" for casual use, I wanted a "real" keyboard that I could use in typing notes, emails, etc.
The Kensington KeyFolio Pro keyboard/cover delivers just about perfectly. The QWERTY keyboard layout, with dual "shift" keys (some Bluetooth keyboards only had one, making it awkward to capitalize half of your letters.), control, option, and command keys, plus a top row of "F" dual function keys. There is even a ".com" key for entering URLs. The iPad 2 is held nice and snug with easy access to the power button and a "notch" for the front camera. The rear camera has its own "peep hole". It takes some getting used to, but the sleep and volume controls are not blocked, it is just the way the iPad curves to the back, and into the solid backing of the cover, that makes using these buttons a tad (and I mean just a little) clumsy. Overall, the case is very well constructed and has a very solid, well built, feel to it. And it looks nice too! The pivot feature works well, allowing you to have the iPad screen held up in Portrait or Landscape. I'd say that, overall, the way that the screen is propped up in front of you is great.

Here are the reasons I dropped one star from my rating. Each somewhat minor, but worth pointing out.
1) Bluetooth - setting up the keyboard to work with the iPad is very straight forward. Charge up the keyboard. Turn it on. Press the "connect" button. Go into "Settings" on the iPad. Turn on Bluetooth and when it "sees" the keyboard, connect. Done! Right? Yes, for the time being. Type away happily. Set the iPad down and let it go idle for an extended period and when you come back, the keyboard and iPad have mysteriously disconnected from each other. You have to go back into "Settings" on the iPad. Turn Bluetooth Off and then On again and then reconnect the keyboard. I don't know the exact amount of time that has to go by before they disconnect as it has seemed to vary. Not a huge issue once you realize what's going on.
2) The keyboard is pretty "flat" as you would expect it to be. You will have to adjust the angle of your fingers a bit, but again, once you get used to it you will be typing nearly as quickly as you do on your iMac or PowerBook Pro. The issue here, for me, is the space bar. There is a "frame" that goes around the keyboard. (i.e. the keyboard waffle board is recessed and the keys extend up through it. The tops of the keys are level with the top of the "frame".) When I tap with my thumb to insert a space, I hit the frame as many times as I actually hit the space bar. And when you hit the frame, nothing happens - of course. If you are a touch typist like me, this becomes frustrating.
3) This last point is also the "least" point. I know this isn't the Apple "Smart Cover", but couldn't Kensington have duplicated the auto-sleep feature when the cover is closed? And some sort of Tab or Flap with a loop or Velcro to keep it closed?

All that said, I would heartily recommend that you get this product if you are looking for a Bluetooth keyboard / cover for your new iPad 2.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short battery life - updated, August 24, 2011
WDowling (Tiverton, RI, US) - See all my reviews
Updated....

Purchased Kensington Keyfolio pro for Ipad 2 K39357US. While I like the keyboard, the battery life is very short. The box states 100 hours of working time and the kensington web site says 90 working hours. After charging overnight, I get 4 hours working time. I called Kensington support and the tech said 4 hours was normal and when I question him what was meant by 100 hours working time he said 100 hours was a "typo". Thats a BIG typo. Anyone else getting better battery life? Is this the norm or is my unit defective? I am within the 90 day moneyback time so it is going back.

Update: Kensington contacted me and they are sending a replacement. They say you should get 90 hours and that my unit was likely defective. I will update this review after receiving and testing.

9/12/11 - After receiving the wrong replacement part (Kensington Iphone dock K39257 instead of keyfolio K39357), I contacted customer support again and they shipped the correct item. I charged the unit overnight and I have had nearly a week of intermittent use without having to charge the Keyfolio. Clearly, my first unit was defective.

Good things about this item:
Easy to use
Nice keyboard compared to comparable Iluv keyboard
US based customer support was good although they shipped me the wrong replacement item at first

Bad:
Foreign (India) customer support was awful
I do not like that the bluetooth disconnects after 15 minutes. Although the web site says to hold the connect button down for 3 seconds to reestablish connection, this does not work. You have to turn the keyboard off and then on to reconnect. I think a firmware upgrade is warranted to fix this.
Ipad screen a little to upright

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken Keys in 60 Days, October 4, 2011
BgGal (Bowling Green KY) - See all my reviews
When I bought my iPad2, this was my first purchase as I LOVED the original keyboard for the iPad1.
What a mistake! My iPad2 slipped inside the case constantly, it was hard to fit my charger into the slot to charge,
it was awkward to hold and read with the case, but I figured it would just take time to get used to the new case.
Well it never happened.
This might be a good case if you just carried your device to & from meetings to take notes, but doesn't
work for someone who always has the device at hand. I wish I could return it & get my money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read the bottom for the Update., January 3, 2012
***UPDATED BELOW!!!

I literally searched for WEEKS to find a good and protective iPad case with a keybord. I finally decided to go with this one and I love this case!! So worth the money! I've only had the case for a couple of days, and if I have any more Cons after more use I will update the review. Here is a list of pros and cons:

Pros:
The leather is nice and soft and the stitching is great.

Everything is alined right. The camera is not covered by the case so you do not have to remove the iPad from the case to use the camera.

Keyboard is great! All of the keys work and it feels just like a apple Mac computer keyboard.

The iPad can swivel to either portrait or landscape mode.

There are shortcuts on the keyboard such as volume or a home button. (Just like the Mac)

The iPad is secure and snug inside the case.

The indention where the iPad sits up is nice and deep so the iPad wont slip out while typing.

Great for taking notes!

People call it "bulky and heavy" but I don't find a problem with either.

Cons:
There is no strap to hold the case together.

Thats it!!
Hope this helps!

***
I have now had this case for about 3-4 weeks and it has ALREADY stopped working.
The Bluetooth connects fine and then when I type, it's like I'm holding the key down and not letting go. The keyboard continually types the key that is hit and doesn't stop. Now I can't have the luxury of typing up notes in class. I am VERY dissapointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very comfortable for typing, August 30, 2011
- The case is quite bulky (i could not fit it to my usual Ipad 2 bag).
- The quality of the cover is also not very good. I got tear in the side of the bag within several days.
- The position of the keyboard and the ipad is also not very good. It's difficult to type as it stands very straight forward.

I would suggest to buy New Trent instead. It has sliding keyboard, so, it's easier for typing in different position.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, bad execution, May 18, 2012
I usually look at reviews pretty closely before buying things like this, but this one slipped through in a moment of weakness during a Black Friday sale. Despite what you see in the picture the iPad does NOT lean back at any angle at all. It sits at a 90-degree angle to the keyboard, which makes it completely useless in any application I can think of. You certainly can't sit on the couch or at your desk with it. This was either a good idea with bad execution or I got one with a pretty major manufacturing defect.

1.0 out of 5 stars uncomfortable to use, February 14, 2012
There are 2 things that i like about this product, but one flaw in this product really makes me hate this product.
Pro: The leather casing is very nice and the keyboard is are responsive.
Con: There is only one angle in which the iPad can tilt toward. the angle does not work well unless you est it on the computer and are sitting on the floor.

This product is not practical!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iPad 2 Enhancement, January 11, 2012
What a great idea! A protective carry case for your iPad 2 with a built-in blue tooth full size keyboard. No more frustration over hitting those little screen keys and missing the mark! This keyboard paired up with no trouble at all. The internal rechargable battery has great life.

Believe me, unless you have small fingers and no finger nails at all then YOU NEED THIS!!!