4.0 out of 5 stars Customize the buttons for best results
For years I used the Logitech Trackman Marble. But I got tired of replacing it once a year when, like clockwork, it always began to crash my Mac after 12 months of use.

Published on July 28, 2011 by Chumloadio

3.0 out of 5 stars a few observations...
I would like to share a few observations with potential future owners of this trackball.

- This trackball is a good bit smaller than I initially expected. Granted I was coming from a Kensington Expert Mouse, which is quite large, but this trackball was no larger than an average mouse. Obviously whether this is good or bad depends on individual taste...
Published on July 28, 2011 by N. Blankenburg

4.0 out of 5 stars Customize the buttons for best results, July 28, 2011
This review is from: Kensington Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball for PC and Mac (Personal Computers)

I decided to try the Kensington Wireless for a change. The shape isn't quite as ergonomic as the Logitech, but it's not bad. In the first hours of use though, the deal-breaker seemed like it would be the touch-pad strips for scrolling. They are terrible.

However, I downloaded the free Kensington TrackballWorks from Kensington's site. This adds additional options for customizing the button layout. I set mine so "chording" the left and right buttons (clicking both at once) turns the ball into a scroll wheel. It works great that way. It's very quick and easy to transition from scrolling to a regular left or right click and back again.

Yesterday I used it to scroll through a very long transcript, highlight occasional paragraphs, and drag them to a second document to create a condensed version of the transcript. I found the Kensington to be very functional, almost transparent. I was flying through the work.

I recommend this product. But I highly recommend downloading TrackballWorks and setting it so chording lets you use the ball for scrolling.

3.0 out of 5 stars a few observations..., July 28, 2011

- This trackball is light. Again, a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the base to be a little bit heavier to keep it from sliding around my desk. Also, durability is a concern with its lightweight as well. Time will tell.

- The scroll "thing". I'm all for trying something new, but this thing is touchy. Again, coming from the Expert Mouse I may be a little spoiled on the scroll ring, but given the size difference something similar would have been difficult to implement.

-- It only has two mouse buttons. I didn't think they made mouses/trackballs without forward and back buttons anymore. A little thing, sure, but since most time on computers is usually spent browsing the web, it is a bit of an annoyance. I would have rather had a more basic scroll wheel and the extra buttons. but I knew what I was getting when I ordered it.

- Tiny trackball. Again a product of the smaller design and power considerations - it is battery operated after all - it reduces precision compared to a larger ball. This is possibly my single biggest complaint, and again the matter of preference, larger trackballs make it easier to make precise movements as well as quick movements across the desktop thanks to their greater mass and inertia.

And finally, I would like to mention my disappointment in its compatibility with 64-bit operating systems. Currently, the only compatible version of TrackballWorks is an unsigned beta driver. Even following the instructions provided by Kensington, I was unable to get it working and have had to instead use the native Windows drivers. At one point the cursor stopped moving entirely, requiring me to navigate with the keyboard to roll back the driver to the default driver.

Presumably a non-beta version should be out sometime soon, but I still don't understand why they would release a product before the software is ready. It is not as if 64-bit Windows 7 systems are unusually rare. In the meantime I will have to use a third-party mouse control program to offer the same basic controls Trackballworks provides. I feel bad for the person not as computer savvy as myself who buys this trackball and has to deal with that mess.

Software notwithstanding, the Kensington Wireless Orbit Trackball is a nice, functional, wireless trackball that will fit most users needs. It's ambidextrous design does not go unappreciated, either. For someone with very limited mobility and no functional use of their hands such as myself, this simple layout (without all the little finger buttons and thumb trackballs other wireless trackballs all seem to have) is a welcome new addition to the limited selection of trackballs currently on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a "portable, wireless' trackball, August 23, 2011
First, you either are a trackball person or you're not. I think people fall into 2 camps here, they either love trackballs or they hate 'em. I have been using trackballs for about 15 years or longer, specifically kensington trackballs. I use the full size trackball (not the slimblade model, the previous one) for work at my desk but I wanted something like a trackball for portable work. Specifically, when I need the precision of a trackball for design or architecture work when not at my desk.

One of my criteria was that the trackball device be wireless and fairly small. There are other kensington products that are great but they are slightly larger and not wireless. There is an orbit in this category. I was tempted but really don't want a larger, corded device to stick in my bag.

I tested the logitech m570 first, it was pretty good. But I could not get used to the logitech's ball being on the side and having to use my thumb to move it. I have used my fingers too long moving trackballs around I guess, I could not get the precision i needed using my thumb. It was fine for general surfing but when I need to manipulate an architecture document with multiple layers, hundreds of elements, no dice.

Pros:
Good center, top ball placement. That's where it needs to be on a trackball.
The device is just the right size for portable use, it works well in a confined, small space.
You can program clicking both buttons together (i use it for a command+click on OSX).
Seems like good construction, simple, elegant design.
Good software, easy to configure. Uses the same software as my other kensington input devices.

Cons:
I dislike the buttons on the side, but am getting used to it. I would prefer them on the top.
You have to anchor the trackball with your palm or else when you click the left slick you can push the device around. Also takes getting used to. You hold it like a mouse but you it like a trackball - funky.
The "touch" scroll surfaces take some getting used to. They don't seem very responsive, but I will give it time. Probably the weakest part of the device.
More buttons would be nice.

Aside: It seems like all the latest wireless mouse / trackballs are using their own USB dongle. What's wrong with bluetooth? Did vendors just stop wanting to use it? I dislike having to keep a USB dongle in one of my 2 usb ports. Wouldn't bluetooth be fine for this? Grumble grumble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice wireless trackball, especially after some time with it., September 9, 2011
ADDED: After some time with this product, I like it a lot. I got used to the button placement fairly readily. The scroll wheel is awful, but other than that, I'm very pleased to have been able to replace my wired trackball with a wireless one.

Basic Info/Setup:

* I'm using this with a Macbook Pro, running OSX 10.7 (Lion.)
* I use a Magic Trackpad at my desktop for most of my primary work.
* I'm a longtime trackball user (never use a conventional mouse.)
* Still need a trackball because some work - specifically mapping with Google maps - is very unfriendly to the Apple trackpad (zooming, clicking, none work the way I'd expect.)
* I won't be using the device portably.
* I've been using the cheap - and extremely reliable - Logitech Trackman marble.
* I'm left-handed, so I need an "agnostic" trackball.
* I've owned this new Kensington device for a couple of days. My impressions my change, and I'll update if they do.

I was really excited to see this product, since my desk is cluttered with wires, and I've been trying to do something about that. I'd like it if the device were Bluetooth, so it didn't require a dongle, but that's a bit trivial. The size of the dongle is a double-edged sword. I like how tiny it is (it literally extends just a quarter inch from your USB port) but I'd be afraid of losing it if I were traveling.

The product's name, Wireless Orbit Mouse, is somewhat telling. Many trackball users describe such products as "upside-down mice," and this is really the case here. While most trackballs are much bigger - the ball on my Logitech is about thirty percent larger in diameter, and the standard, massive Kensington trackballs are even larger, this one is comparatively small. That has so far made the device less precise, but I think I can get used to that. The whole device is closer to standard mouse size and shape - about twenty percent bigger, I'd guess. I suppose the smallishness of the product is related to its positioning as a portable product (or maybe Kensington didn't want to compete with its larger trackballs.)

Same deal for the seemingly-oddly placed buttons, which sit on the sides of the unit, perpendicular to the desktop. Standard trackballs place their buttons much closer to the ball on the device's top face. I expect to become accustomed to this, but the hand position is rather odd: you grip the Wireless Orbit in a claw-like way, rather than resting your palm at the base and using just your fingers on tradition trackballs. You're enlisting more of your hand with this product, and that may not be good.

The ball has a scroll wheel. At standard settings, it is pretty jerky. I haven't messed with it, because the Apple Trackpad so excels at scrolling that I don't need it. (The pad sits directly to the left of my keyboard; the Kensington sits to the left of that.)

Though you don't need the Kensington software if you're just using standard button functions, I highly recommend using it, since that allows you further customization of the ball's tracking speed, as well as the button configuration. Here's a bug, at least in the Mac version of the Trackballworks software, which installs as a system preference and requires a restart. If you've got your standard mouse preferences set as left-handers normally do - with the "Primary Mouse Button" set to left, then that overrides the trackball settings. In the Trackball works prefs panel, if you've got the regular mouse button assigned to primary right, making the traditional right click button the left button - which is the way lefties generally want it - the Trackball Works inverts things: assigning the primary trackpad button to the right doesn't work; the secondary mouse button remains on the right, the opposite of what you've set in the mouse preferences. So, you need to go back to mouse preferences and assign the primary button to the left (backwards for lefties.) This makes the Trackball work lefty-style - right button primary, left button secondary. A pain.

(Step-by-Step)
1) Assign standard mouse prefs to primary left.
2) Trackball Works automatically assigned primary to right.
3) You can then assign Trackball Works for secondary (listed as "right click") left.

This is easy to work around - but if you've got a traditional mouse, too, you won't be pleased, since that mouse will now be reversed to traditional right-hand style. I don't use a traditional mouse, and the settings snafu doesn't seem to affect the Apple trackpads.

The good news is that if you can get used to this stuff, the product works. It is a decent trackball, smooth-scrolling, and it functions the way a trackball should. I'd slow the pointer acceleration a bit.

To address one of the other criticisms here, I don't find the product too light; it stays in place on my desk when I use it. Maybe that's a function of different desk surfaces.

Will I get used to it? I'm guessing that I will; back in the day, I had no problem with my old tiny-trackball equipped Powerbook. But a week or so will see, and I'll report back.

PROS:
* A good trackball.
* Small size might be nice for some.
* Seems to have OK build quality.
* Scrolling is smooth.

CONS (many of which users may become accustomed to.)
* Buttons on side.
* Weird interaction with Mac mouse system prefs.
* Cuts wire clutter.
* Ball is smaller than many trackball users are familiar with; smaller ball equals different acceleration characteristics. Adjustments may help.
* You have to remember to switch the device off, or you'll eat up batteries. As far as I can tell, there's no indication of a sleep mode.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want to try a wireless trackball, go ahead, especially since Amazon has such generous return policies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Send it back to the design desk., June 24, 2012
41's opinion (Centreville, VA) - See all my reviews
PROS:
It is nice looking
It seems to be well built.

CONS:
It is a poorly designed, exasperating, piece of junk.

The left/right click buttons are located on the side of the device. The pressure required to activate these buttons is greater than the pressure needed to slide the device across the surface it is resting on. This requires that you hold it on the opposite side to prevent sliding. This often results in activating both buttons at once.

The buttons should be located on the top, or at least no greater than 45 degrees from horizontal, wherein they could be activated with downward pressure.

The scrolling "ring" that surrounds the ball operates in a herky-jerky fashion, sometimes requiring multiple strokes to achieve motion. On the other hand, it frequently operates because of inadvertent touching. Very exasperating. There seems to be no way to deactivate this feature with the simplistic software provided.

A child could have designed a better trackball than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scroll Ring is faulty causing you to constantly chase the page, August 22, 2013
Frank H. Haddaway (Spring, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased one of these a few days ago from another supplier. It was to replace a Kensington K72337 Orbit Trackball I had purchased from Amazon in January. Both of these trackballs employ a center ring which surrounds the trackball and is designed to scroll pages up or down. Neither of them have worked properly. Each scroll ring makes contact with the trackball causing the page to move up or down as you move the trackball. It's very annoying. You find yourself chasing a page all over the place just to point and click on a link. I cannot recommend this trackball.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid, August 10, 2013
Despite all the negative reviews I still got this for the same reason so many others have- It's the only wireless trackball on here that allows you to use either your left or right hand. Many of us righties like being able to switch to the other hand now and then to avoid carpel tunnel, arthritis and other over-use issues. I had a wired trackball by logitech that could be used ambidextrously, but I tripped over the wire one too many times and decided to throw it out and get something wireless.

Well I should've just gotten the right handed mouse by logitech. This mouse is just horrid. It jumps from one spot on the page to another with no warning. You could be reading something on the page and slowly scrolling down when suddenly the mouse has decided to take you all the way down to the bottom of the page. Then you have to scroll up and find your place again. I thought downloading the software would allow me to fix this, but it does not. Worst money ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Track Ball, October 5, 2011
Cliffmyster (Santa Cruz, CA) - See all my reviews
I hate Track Pads that come on PC Laptops. I love love love Track balls...soooo much better than pads or mice. This one is a great portable for the brief case and the coffee shop. I only wish it had a couple function buttons like the Logitec I use at home. I like the ball action better than my home one. Smaller ball, smoother glide.

12/10/2012: I resold this item on Amazon. It turned out to be too small for my hand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much caffine, January 12, 2012
Brennan (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
I am searching for a replacement for my greatly mourned Microsoft Explorer trackball, and this ain't it. The form is fine and the size is ideal for laptop
The key factor in a good pointing device is the ability to point at something and have the pointer end up pointing at it. This thing points like a monkey on crack, it skitters like a deer on ice, it is as smooth as a granite face. Add to that the "scrolling side pads" emulate a scrolling wheel in the same way an eyedropper emulates a bucket (my fingers hurt from moving down two places on a list for each finger stroke, think moving down a list a 32 individual movements for a normal page). I understand many of these flaws can be fixed by installing the Kensington TrackballWorks software, which will not work on windows 7 64 bit, so this mouse is a swing and a miss.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it., July 30, 2013
Penny Richmond (Mason, Michigan, US) - See all my reviews
The pointer will not hold, it jumps and jerks all over the place. At times it even freezes up. I am 3 days passed my time to return it, or you would have it back on your door step. It is crap and a total waste of money.