4.0 out of 5 stars Great media centre addition
Published on December 11, 2007 by J. Doshi

2.0 out of 5 stars Hands cramp in 15 minutes
This is one of the nicest designs I've seen in a while. Split numeric keyboard for lefties, 4-way scrolling mouse is thin for traveling, nice weight and color, a few special purpose keys. Too bad I hated it.

The setup program froze during installation (Vista) and may or may not have fully installed.

The keys are very stiff. My hands started...
Published on June 4, 2008 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great media centre addition, December 11, 2007
This review is from: Kensington SlimBlade Media Notebook Set with Wireless Keyboard, Laser Mouse, and Numeric Keypad (Graphite) K72279US (Personal Computers)
I bought this product as a keyboard/mouse addition to my mac mini powered media centre. The graphite keyboard looks really nice and is also pretty compact (especialy when you disconnect the numeric keypad). The slim profile of the mouse is also ideal for my setup. The fact that it works well with the mac especially with some of the media keys is an added bonus.The range is good enough for me but then there isn't much of a distance from the couch to the mac mini/tv. I also like the keyboard layout which keeps both mac and pc users happy (especially with the positioning of the command and windows keys with respect to ctrl and alt)

Some of the caveats:
1) I am having trouble with the mouse on some surfaces - for example my couch. The microsoft intellimouse performed better.
2) I have permanently disconnected the numeric keypad. But the keypad does not lock into the main keyboard very strongly. It does have a magnetic link and thus it can lock in - However the bond is pretty weak. That could be a problem if you plan to use the keyboard like a traditional keyboard. Again this is not a problem with my setup
3) Some of the special keys do not work - The music key and whatever the third special key seem to have no action. I have just plugged the keyboard in on leopard and have not installed any special software. The eject, dashboard and spotlight key work well.

Overall it is a little pricey, But it is a great looking and usable keyboard/mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars The keyboard I've been waiting for., November 1, 2007
James Vandernaald (Los Alamitos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This keyboard is great. For years I have been looking for a keyboard that would take up minimum space on my desk. I don't ever use a number pad, and don't use all the bells and whistles buttons that most keyboards have. With this one, I just don't attach the number pad and that gives it a small footprint and locates the mouse close to the keyboard. It's all very slick looking, has a nice weight that keeps it in place, and does not have the clickety clack feel or sound that other keyboards have. The mouse was a nice surprise, also with just that right feel and weight, and has a little trackball for scrolling that is easy to control. My computer is located in a compartment inside my desk, and the compact USB receiver sometimes did not connect. My Dell flat panel monitor has two USB connectors on the side, so I moved it there and it's fine. If I wanted to use the receiver installed inside the desk compartment, which I might still decide to do, I think I would try using a USB extension cable to get it in a better position to reliably maintain its connection. The pictures of it shown on the Amazon web site as well as the Kensington site are quite fuzzy, so I was wary that it might be typical of that creaky plastic construction of keyboards I've had in the past. I was pleasantly suprised how solid it is. Superb quality. (But, $$$. I guess you get what you pay for.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Product!!, March 6, 2008
I don't usually write product reviews but this product has far exceeded my expectations and deserves a few minutes of my time. I bought this because I wanted a small, compact keyboard I could haul around and would fit in my laptop bag. This product caught my eye and the reviews were very positive.

This product is very solid with a metallic titanium color finish. It is indeed small and has a nice, although non-adjustable, tilt to it. The keys are outstanding, with just the right feedback and click for me. There are no extra, read unnecessary, keys.

I took it out of the box, put in the batteries and plugged it in. I looked everywhere for the USB key (they call it a "Dongle"). I thought they had forgotten to include it but it was neatly tucked into its travel position inside the mouse battery box. Don't send the unit back until you look there first!!

The mouse is an odd shape but surprisingly comfortable and I have very big hands. The laser is really nice, very accurate and quick. The roller ball is small and very sensitive. It scrolls down perfectly.

Finally, I really like the detachable numeric keypad. If I don't need it it stays in the bag, if I do, it loosely attaches magnetically to the side of the keyboard (either side!). Great idea for travellers!!

I'd give this product more stars if I could but kudos to Kensington for getting it right. A little pricey but the build quality is so high that I think it's a bargain. This is NOT a typical keyboard/ mouse combo.

5.0 out of 5 stars wireless mouse and keyboard are awesome!, December 6, 2007
Cathy (Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This wireless mouse, keyboard and numeric keypad are great! Setup on the MAC was less than 1 minute - gotta luv that! The 3 components feel solid and do have a bit of weight (probably b/c of 2 AA batteries per piece - included in the box), but are so slim that packing in a briefcase is a piece of cake. They are a dark charcoal color, and look sharp. keyboard has slight tilt, but no legs to prop it up - in case you wanted to know!

Pros: 1. numeric keypad - great for online banking, excel / table users, etc.
2. Setup on the MAC was very easy - I hooked up the USB wireless "dongle" receiver and MAC asked me about 5 questions and it was working!! woo - hoo! I'm new to mac, and when i tried to install a driver from the CD, I realized that's not necessary on a MAC...another reason to luv my MAC! PC users can choose from XP32, XP64, Vista32 or Vista 64.

3. Mouse is 2-button with a really smooth 360 degree scroll. I have only used minor features of scroll, but would expect the 360 to be helpful on spreadsheets! There are rubber texture strips on side of mouse, for those who like to feel like they are holding something, this is a nice tactile feature.

4. It has 3 "shortcut buttons" on upper area, they work fine on the MAC (ie no driver or configuration required!). 5 for a PC, just use the CD Drivers, I assume.

Cons: None found...time will tell, but so far, I am surprisingly happy to have spent over $100 on this setup!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hands cramp in 15 minutes, June 4, 2008
Amazon Customer (Gulf Stream, FL United States) - See all my reviews

The keys are very stiff. My hands started cramping within 15 minutes of use, I missed key presses regularly, and there didn't seem to be a way to customize the custom buttons (eq which CD/DVD to eject, I have 2 installed).

The mouse was not nearly as responsive as my old logitech, and skipped frequently on my old (faux wood grain, no gloss) desk. Also, like the keyboard, the mouse buttons were very stiff (and I missed the logitech center-button autoscroll for reading long documents).

All in all, a grand disappointment. I gave it a couple hours of hard use (hand cramps and all), then repacked it and returned it to the store. Sorry Kensington, try again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy. Doesn't eat up much desk space and works well., February 8, 2008
J. Ladapo (cambridge, ma) - See all my reviews
we've had this keyboard/mouse combo for about a month and are very happy with it. it's much smaller than the other wireless keyboards i saw on the market when i was shopping around, and that was the biggest draw from us.

i recommend it. so far battery life has been fine but even if it were poor, we're so happy about it's smalls size that that wouldn't even matter much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Ergonomics and Versatile, March 10, 2009
I have had many wireless keyboards by multiple manufacturers (Microsoft, Logitech, Gyro). This is by far the best. It is so good I bought one for my home office and my on site office. The set has a good touch on the keys. The ability to move the numeric keypad to the left is absolutely perfect! My hands are small and the mouse doesn't hit my pressure points that aggravates carpal tunnel or basal thumb joint problems. Since you can move it anywhere, you can place the keyboard/pad and mouse in any position that is comfortable at the time. Everyone who uses a computer for a living knows that being able to vary your hand/body position is necessary to survival in the industry.

I like to sit away from my monitor, prop my feet up, sit in different positions and this keyboard allows all of that on a standard lapdesk. This set is durable. I have had one for over a year. Believe it or not, I still love it. Being a technojunkie, I am always on the look-out for what the latest/greatest is available. I have yet to find anything better or even close.

One suggestion, be sure to download the latest slimblade drivers from the Kensington website. They are essential to consistent function.

12-30-09

I have now used this keyboard exclusively for another nine months. My earlier review still stands. I troll the net looking for the latest-greatest because I work/play in front of a computer from 10 - 16 hours a day. To date, I have found nothing better. It is amazing how easily I adapted to having the numeric keypad on the left. Mousing with my right hand and typing was difficult on all other keyboards (the Salvation Army appreciated the donations).

Also, I still stand by the ergonomics. My carpal tunnel no longer bothers me and my basal thumb joint problems are much better. It is important to change positions frequently, move back from or closer to the monitor (eyes); standing to work is a breeze with a small flat topped table that is just big enough to put my lapdesk on (better blood circulation). If someone had more coordination than I do, they could probably use their treadmill while working on their computer. Oh, for you "lefties", this set is a MUST!

The batteries last a very long time. I have experienced no problems with keys sticking, loosing connectivity (with the slimblade drivers), or the mouse loosing precision. The third set I bought to carry with my personal laptop. It doesn't add significant weight, even with the thin metal lapdesk. For those of you enamored with netbooks, but can't use the itty bitty keyboard; get this set. Problem solved!

The only concern I have is that Kensington would stop making this keyboard/mouse set. Should I ever need another, it will still be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Complain, March 19, 2008
It does everything they say it can do, and it is a very nice looking keyboard without taking up alot of space. I keep the detachable number keypad in a drawer and I just bring it out when I need it, which is not often. Space and looks are important to me since it is kept on our kitchen desk which is out to be seen all of the time, and the desk is not very big. One of the things I like best is that the keys are very quiet. To describe the keys, they are like the ones on a laptop, but they are spaced properly like a full sized keyboard. I thought that I would not like the mouse since it looked uncomfortable, but it turns out that the mouse is fine. The little ball that is used in place of the wheel feels cheap, but it works great, and it is easy to get used to using. The connection to the PC is also reliable even though I have the PC on the floor under the desk, a bunch of wires, and the UPS is above it. At this point we have only used it for a month. If it is robust and it lasts, then I would consider it one of my better buys.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Keyboard, February 16, 2010
Nicole (Beaverton, OR) - See all my reviews
I love this keyboard. It's everything I wanted. Small, thin, with nice, shallow, soft touch keys. I shopped and tested many keyboards to find one that was close to the touch of my Dell laptop keyboard. The close position of the keys does take a little getting used to, but I needed something this small to fit on my desk.

I'm not sure why some said it was cheap construction. It feels very sturdy to me. And the color is great.

I haven't had to test out the number pad much though, but when I have it wasn't as easy to type by touch. I kept hitting the wrong keys. I do find that you have to push the keys a little harder than you would think, for both the keyboard and the number keypad, they need to be more sensitive in my opinion.

The mouse is OK. It works as a simple basic mouse. But it's sad that they bundled this matching (expensive) set with a mouse as useless as this one. I had to get used to the shape of it too. It's not curved up like most mouse's are, it's very flat. But I've learned to like it. I just wish there were more buttons, like a back button at least. And since it was so expensive for this set, there's no way my husband will let me by a different mouse. So I'm stuck with it. I do like the scroll-ball though, it works really well.

According to Kensington you do not need to download the drivers; it's a plug and play set. But I made the mistake of downloading the additional mouse works or keyboard works software they have on the website... DON'T DOWNLOAD THESE IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS 7!!!
It is not compatible with Windows 7, and when I went to restart my laptop to install the software, I had no keyboard or mouse at all. It even took over my onboard laptop keyboard and touch-pad mouse. It was horrible. Luckily I was able to do the restore from last saved session or something, and un-installed all the software from Kensington.

Overall I love this keyboard!

UPDATE: After using this set for over a year, the mouse has constant problems. It moves very jumpy, and it works better if I move it right next to the USB connector. Just having it the distance of about 20 inches away from it makes it very erratic! Not good at all! I have a jumpy connection sometimes with the keyboard too. Not sure if it's my laptop, or the mouse/keyboard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost... but Sheesh, December 6, 2009
L. Apple (Flagstaff, AZ) - See all my reviews
Keyboard and numberpad are a 5, the mouse is a 1 - giving us the 3 rating I'm putting down.

The keyboard feels substantial and I like the laptop like keys. I was happy to find that the number pad does not need to be connected to the keyboard to work. I was hoping it was because I like the idea of keeping the number pad up by my calculator and having it on the desk top when doing accounting entries - but having the smaller keyboard on my keyboard tray allows enough room for my mouse to travel there - even across two displays.

However, the mouse SUCKS. It doesn't track well on anything, and mine keeps kinda getting a mind of it's own and moving the cursor around and skipping all over the place. Making it impossible to use. I've unplugged it, reset it, etc. numerous times - and that sometimes helps for a few seconds - but it doesn't last. I don't know if it's interference or what - but don''t have any more ideas of how to fix it. I do plan to contact Kennsington and Amazon and see what they'll do - but my old keyboard kicked the bucket - so I'm not willing to send back BOTH in order to get a new mouse...

Frustrating.