Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 16, 2010
This book was a gift to our 5 year old bilingual girl by a Swedish friend. Each time our daughter asks me to read this book, I'm very disappointed by the very incorrect spelling and use of Swahili words. Some words have a direct translation as (maziwa lala - sleeping milk!! what on earth is sleeping milk????? It should be cultured milk/sour milk. Una taka chepati? This spelling is completely wrong - Una taka (unataka is one word! not two) and Chepati=chapati.It is not a pancake!
Almost all the swahili words in this book are spelt wrong. Why didn't she do some research or even better, get a Swahili speaker to proof read this book? It is so annoying to read, but I have to do it for my daughter when she asks for it. I wouldn't buy it.:-(
on September 26, 2013
This book is sweet and very lovely. I gave my copy to my children's preschool and am buying another for myself.

The negative reviews posted here make me roll my eyes a bit. I'm no expert, but I thought that Swahili was a trade language that has variations in different locations. It's not a text book, people. Would you be so upset if you saw a book set in the American south that used "y'all"? If yes, then carry on with the griping, I guess.

Luckily, the book is not written for adults worked up about language perfection but rather for children and my children enjoy this book immensely. We live in Kenya and eat both chapatis and regular pancakes. They know the difference and are not confused by the translation. Nor do they now long to move from Nairobi to the rural areas, eschewing their shoes, school and proper toys as one reviewer implied. My children enjoy the pictures and the lyrical cadence of the book.

There are not enough lovely multicultural (or I suppose "other-cultural") books like this one available and if we decide to nit pick each one for it not fitting everyone's level of perfection, then there never will be.
on March 22, 2007
My bi-racial baby is half Kenyan and I'm sure she'll love this book for years to come. A bit stereotypical but not too bad. Wonderful artwork.
on April 5, 2007
My 8 year old and 2 year old boys love this book. It's fun, it's beautiful, and it celebrates an African boy's day.

Joyfully, the message is "boys will be boys" no matter where they live.

This book combines a wonderful story with the work of a VERY talented illustrator. I hope to see more from author Kelly Cunnane, and I'm going to seek out other books illustrated by Ana Juan...and I'll even spring for the hard cover versions.

You'll find your kids reaching for this book over and over.
on March 23, 2007
How would it fell growing up in another country? This book is about a boy who has to take care of his grandfather's cows. I liked it because it sounds like how I'd like to live. The boy is a lot like me because he is supposed to be watching the cows but he gets easily distracted by people around him.

I recommend this book for everybody.
on February 13, 2008
I bought this book for my husband to read to our baby, he is a Kenyan and a Kalengin. We both instantly feel in love with the book and can't wait to read it to our little girl and future children. It is a great book for anyone wanting to learn about a wonderful place!
on October 7, 2008
This is a GREAT children's book. The illustrations are captivating. The story is one that all children can understand... that of learning responsibility. Aspects of Kenyan culture are taught throughout and the snatches of Kiswahili are fun! 5 stars!
on July 27, 2015
Thrilled! My great friend and co-worker is having a baby. Se is from Kenya and I wanted to give her something special! She loved it!!!1
on August 5, 2015
Very informative and just enough information for kids. I enjoyed it and can't wait to read it to my class.
on July 5, 2015
Sweet sweet story........for the Kenyan child.........love it....beautiful illustrations....