1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice EDC Knife, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Kershaw Scallion Knife
So I'm sitting on the couch in a very comfortable reclined position with the television remote firmly in my control. Life is good. In comes the wife from visiting a friend of hers. She walks up to me with a level of confidence and determination and firmly states, "I want a knife." You cannot image the proud sensation I felt hearing such divine works from the woman I love. Yet, at the same time I was in complete disbelief. I carry knives on me all of the time and not once has she even expressed interest in carry a "blade." So, I quickly ask "what makes you want a knife" to which she replies "my friend has one and I like it." She stated, "It opens quick, I like it, and I want one." Does life get any better? I asked her to find out what knife it is and that I would get her one. My wife texts the friend but she doesn't know the knife model other than it is a Kershaw. After some research I discover that it was the Kershaw Scallion. Within minutes I ordered the knife in the color pink for my wife. A monumental day indeed!!!

The Kershaw Scallion, made in the U.S.A., is a very small knife that is perfectly suited to women looking for an unassuming knife. This knife is well suited for an everyday carry (EDC) knife for small tasks such as opening boxes, envelopes, cutting rope, etc. It is not designed as a defensive or fighting knife although it could be used for that purpose if you have nothing else.

Knife Stats:

+ Opening methods: SpeedSafe and Flipper
+ Safety Lock (prevents blade from opening)
+ Blade: 420HC stainless-steel
+ Handle: 6061-T6 anodized pink aluminum
+ Blade Length: 2 1/4 in.
+ Closed Length: 3 1/2 in.
+ Weight: 2.3 oz. (very light)
+ Blade Lock: Locking Liner
+ Pocket Clip

Pros:

+ Very fast deployment utilizing the SpeedSafe method. You can use the thumbstud to open the blade although I do NOT recommend this method which I will discuss under the cons of the knife.

+ Once the blade is in the open position it has exceptional lock up. There is absolutely no play in the blade either side to side or up and down.

+ There is jimping on the back of the blade for your thumb which assists with obtaining an excellent grip.

+ Very ergonomic and comfortable for a small knife.

+ The liner lock which prevents the blade from closing on your finger is solid and very secure.

+ The clip is very strong, large, and well designed. The knife is designed to be carried in the tip down position.

+ The knife is very sharp right out of the box.

+ Very unassuming and non-threatening (especially in pink) yet capable of causing lethal damage although that is not the intended purpose or design of this knife.

Cons:

- I do not recommend using the thumbstud to open the blade. Many knives utilize this method and generally this is not a problematic method for deploying the blade. When I opened the Scallion using the thumbstud my thumb actually rubbed against the blade. Fortunately I did not get cut. I carefully practiced opening the knife using the thumbstud but my thumb more often than not would hit the blade. Now this just might be particular to my method of deploying the blade and may not happen to you. I recommend that if you want to use the thumbstud that you very carefully practice to see if you have the same experience.

- The blade has a curved design which can make sharpening the knife more difficult as opposed to a straight blade design. If you are not comfortable sharpening your own knives this might be a slight problem.

- The tip (point) of the blade is slender and can break if the knife is abused or used inappropriately.

- There is a blade lock that can be activated to prevent the blade from opening inadvertently. I find this not to be necessary on such a small knife. With the correct tool you do have the ability to tighten the locking mechanism so that the knife lock cannot be activated.

- 420HC stainless-steel isn't the best steel in a blade.

My wife really likes the Scallion although she also wants to use it as a defensive knife if necessary. I will work on convincing her that she needs a larger knife for self-defense (one step at a time.) The pink is subdued and not an overwhelmingly bright pink.

Overall, I find the Kershaw Scallion a very nice EDC knife and would recommend it to others. Don't let the "cons" scare you away from purchasing this knife. Pull the trigger and pick one up.

Kershaw Scallion Knife