5.0 out of 5 stars This is it! Finally found my EDC.
Published on November 11, 2010 by Ray S

3.0 out of 5 stars One of these days it will come apart on me when I really need it.
I have been carrying the OD-2 for about 6 months. Here are my impressions:

Pros: the flipper mechanism on this knife is very cool. It opens the knife very fast and lock-up is all but guaranteed. The liner lock is very secure on my knife. This is a very small, non-threatening tool.

Cons: There is side to side blade play on my OD-2. I have tried to...
Published 14 months ago by Robert

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it! Finally found my EDC., November 11, 2010
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
Third time really is the charm. I wanted a small knife for every day carry, and to minimize the chances of any legal trouble I wanted a folder with a blade less than 2.5 inches. First I bought the Kershaw Half Ton, and while it has a really nice broad blade and buttery smooth flip action, it was simply too heavy. Next I tried the Buck Parallex, which had a pleasant, sweeping blade shape, but again was slightly heavier than it needed to be because of the handle material, and was also too difficult to flip out.

Enter the Kershaw OD-2. It is extremely light, even though it is a lock liner, thanks to the lightweight materials used. The flip mechanism is also brilliant, extremely fast, and smooth. I don't care much about out of the box sharpness since I always sharpen my knives, but this one came quite sharp. If there is any weakness to this folder, it's that the blade is narrow, make it suited for more delicate tasks and not heavy cutting. I was, however, able to use it to cut cardboard easily. As expected from 8Cr13MoV material, the blade is hard and keeps an edge well despite being inexpensive.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this knife, and recommend it to anyone who wants a small knife or EDC but doesn't plan on doing heavy duty cutting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a smaller EDC, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
I bought this Kershaw OD-2 to have a lightweight EDC knife that would fit easily into the 5th pocket in jeans but tough enough to survive back country treks. It is very lightweight and totally unobtrusive. The clip is very sturdy and feels like it will hold up for a long time. Clip is moveable as well. The "flipper" opening mechanism is very handy for single hand use and opens the blade quite quickly. The entire knife is easily disassembled for thorough cleanings.

The blade itself packs quite a punch for its size. 8Cr steel is a very high quality steel for the money, and its very rare indeed to find such a good steel for $16. Blade is very sharp and responds quite well to light- to medium-duty cutting tasks.

The handle material feels tough but is missing just a little bit of "grippiness" for my tastes. Thats really the only thing I'd change about the knife.

If you are looking for a burly beast of a blade to tackle anything you can possibly throw at it, look for one of the big boys. If you want a very inexpensive, tough and unobtrusive EDC, this is your knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this knife!, September 14, 2010
RG (California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
I'm very happy with this knife. In general I don't care much for manual openers. I much prefer assisted openers like the Kershaw Chive or Kershaw Ken Onion Baby Boa. However I was in the market for an inexpensive knife and decided that the OD-2 would be adequate despite being a manual opener. Although it doesn't open quite as smoothly as an assisted opening knife, it still provides easy one-handed opening with the flipper mechanism. It can also be closed relative easily with one hand. It comes nice and sharp right out of the box. It is fairly compact at 3.1" long (5.4" when open) and 0.55" thick including the clip. It weighs in at a mere 1.4oz which is so light you will not even notice it in your pocket. The handle is just long enough for me to grip with three fingers (my hands aren't too big so your mileage may vary). It's not going to be suitable for heavy duty cutting, but it's a great everyday knife for light to medium cutting duties.

Overall it's a well-built, solid little knife. At under $20 it's not quite in the same class as $75 knives, but it's an excellent value for the price and it can definitely hold its own against many knives costing twice the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the SOG Flash 1, and half the cost., March 5, 2011
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
I could kick myself for giving in to the hype and ordering the SOG Flash 1. It's not a BAD knife, but the thing rattles like a cheap plastic toy and has a secondary safety mechanism that likes to engage and disengage at random. So there I was, day 1, already taking the knife apart, trying to fix the mistakes that the manufacturer allowed to slip by during the quality control process. Needless to say, I was angry about having spent $32 on something so mediocre, when I could have spent the money on a Spyderco Tenatious, Persistence, or Ambitious, and gotten a MUCH better knife. However, my faith in small EDC knives was renewed with the arrival of my Kershaw OD2. I already own the Skyline and absolutely LOVE that knife, so I was hoping the OD2 would live up to my expectations associated with the Kershaw brand. People.....I am absolultely blown away by this wicked little guy!! Here's a list of some of the reasons for such excitement about this product:

1. $15.80 out the door! Beat that!
2. 8Cr13Mov blade.....same as the acclaimed Spyderco Tenatious.
3. FRN handles....same as the Spyderco Delica and Endura.
4. Unbelievable "kick" opening mechanism that facilitates lighning-quick blade deployment(every bit as fast as the SOG Flash1)
5. Sturdy liner lock that's as tight as a drum, which makes for absolutely no blade play in any direction.
6. Unobtrusive, stainless steel clip that can be re-positioned for left-handed carry.
7. Weighs less than 2 ounces.
8. Blade length of under 2.5" makes it legal most anywhere.
9. When closed, the length is around 3", so it doesn't take up the entire pocket.
10. Did I mention that it cost only $15.80 ?

So far I can't think of a single negative comment I could make about this knife. I would advise anybody who reads this review to buy the OD2, fully understanding that it is a SMALL knife. If you have giant gorilla-size meat mittens for hands, this is not the knife for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Small EDC, March 23, 2010
TruthTeller (Middletown, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
Full Disclosure: I live in NJ, where the police politically fall slightly to the right of the KGB. That being said, this knife is the perfect small EDC. It's small enough to fit comfortably and unobtrusively in the coin pocket of jeans. It's razor sharp, holds an edge well, and is covers 90% of the cutting tasks presented while out and about. Basically, it's a very well constructed, extremely well designed pen knife with a flawless flipper deployment system. This is my third Kershaw product; all are superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife out of the bow, December 2, 2010
David Denham (West Warwick,RI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
I ordered this knife the other day to carry throughout the work week. I was looking for a small but strong efficient knife for general use. This totally fits the bill. The reversible clip makes it great to place in your pocket. The one hand opening is smooth and quick. The blade is extremely secure in the open position. Out of the box it cuts paper with ease. Kershaw makes great knifes and blades, I have yet to be dis-satisfied with one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife, November 29, 2010
JR "j0ser1" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
I read previous reviews on this knife and for the price, I thought I would give it a try. I was not disappointed! This is a great knife. It came razor sharp, (like all Kershaw knives) and the opening mechanism is great. It opens with hardly any effort and comes out quick. Quality in the knife feels good and strong and I strongly recommend this knife. It is a perfect daily pocket knife. The only complaint I have is the pocket clip is facing the opposite way I would like and cannot be flipped upside down. The pocket clip is able to be moved to the other side of the handle for ambidextrous use. This personal issue aside that I can get used to, I find nothing wrong with this knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife!, July 10, 2010
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
For me this OD2 is just the right size for EDC. It's a well made little folder with smooth, fast flipper opening. It's solid when locked open and holds a razor edge. It's small enough to carry unobtrusively in any pocket. Like other Kershaw knives, I find the OD-2 to be an excellent value; especially at less than $25.00.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Small For My Taste, February 23, 2013
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
The handle for my EDC needs is a little small. The reversible pocket clip is great for those rare lefties like myself. The liner lock is a little uncomfortable for me being a lefty at first. But you'll get used to it. The pocket clip shows little of the knife but I like my EDC blade to do that. The handle scales aren't very textured. The knife is a little thick in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent knife, excellent for the money, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife (Sports)
I purchased this little blade as a replacement for my SOG Flash I. It is better.

First of all, the knife is much slimmer and fits in the pocket very well, while still retaining a good sized blade. Also, the knife is very unassuming and isn't threatening to the general public. The clip IS very tight out of the box, but can easily be loosened. A good thing to note would be that this knife has hex screws instead of the torx used on many Kershaws.

The blade on mine did come a little misaligned, but not terribly so. There is also some slight blade play when open. The flipper does wriggle a little as well.

As far as the edge, it is a working edge, not so sharp as my leek came, but definitely usable.

Overall, I would recommend this little blade as an EDC for light use.

Kershaw 1770 OD-2 Knife