Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kershaw 1605CKTST Clash Folding Knife with SpeedSafe (2-Step Serration)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 24, 2014
I'm writing not only to praise this knife, but also the company that makes it - and the several other Kershaw folding knives I own and have given as gifts.

The knife speaks for itself. It's light, but substantially built. The Speed Safe mechanism steals the show as an opening system - it's simply the best one-handed opening of any folding knife out there that's legal.

The edge - as nearly every reviewer will tell you - comes sharp as you'd ever want it to be. Anything sharper would be a wire-edge and too fragile to live.

It's one hell of a lot of tool for the money.

Here's what slays me: their customer service. As is well known, Kershaw backs their knives against failures of workmanship and materials. It's also known that they will sharpen your knife whenever you send it to them, whether or not it's for warranty service.

But here's an example of a customer service attitude that rocks. I've recently changed my pattern of EDC, and wanted to put the pocket clip back on this knife. When I went to get it, I couldn't find it. I still had the screws - they're still in the knife. But the clip itself was gone.

I emailed KAI to order the part, explaining that it wasn't broken or damaged or defective - I just misplaced it.

I expected to pay for the clip and for shipping - no problem.

Kershaw wasn't having it. I got a FAST response by email, telling me they were glad to send me a replacement clip free of charge. Less than a week later, I have the clip - AND an additional set of screws.

It's not a big deal - just small piece of hardware. But the attitude is enormous. They are determined to make owning a Kershaw product a pleasure.

It is.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
Very sharp knife, and easy to open. I had forgotten to tell my boyfriend it was an assisted opening knife and it opened with such force (because of the combined efforts of both the knife and him) that it flung out of his hand. He recently discovered that the knife is sharp enough to shave his hair off with ease and now has hairless patches all over his legs.
33 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2013
I had a Gerber DMF Tanto folder prior to this with a blade just slightly longer. I loved that knife, but sadly lost it. It was a little on the heavy side, and was somewhat difficult to open.

THIS knife, however, changed all that. It came in at half the price, much lighter, and the assisted open is great. If I could find a screwdriver small enough to flip the pocket clip around, it'd be perfect. This is a great EDC knife all around. Holds a great edge, too!
on August 10, 2013
I've had my Clash for about a week now and have been using it as my EDC knife. Overall, this knife is a great value - I paid around twenty-two bucks for it and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. It came quite sharp out of the box - it could easily shave arm hair and I had to do very little to it to get a nice razor-sharp edge on it. The spring assist on it is nice and crisp - the blade deploys quickly when the actuator is depressed on the back of the knife. The pocket clip holds firmly, and has a wide profile at the opening to keep a good grip. The clip comes mounted at the top of the handle out of the box, but you can move it to the bottom of the handle. Sorry lefties - the clip only mounts to the right hand side of the handle (right side when looking at the spine of the blade.) When folded up, the knife will squeeze into and clip onto MOLLE webbing, so if you happen to have MOLLE gear and you want to put the knife within easy reach on the outside, it will go there and not come out unless you apply a significant amount of inertia to it. If you or your gear experience the kind of force necessary to throw this thing out of your MOLLE webbing, then you've probably got bigger problems on your hands. If you're just hiking and jumping from rock to rock, for example, it's highly unlikely that the knife is going to come out of that MOLLE webbing unless you pull it out.

I struggled between giving this knife four stars and five stars because while there are some things that I think can be improved about it, it's still and excellent knife for the value. The only negative things I have to say about this knife are nit-picky, especially considering its price point. First and foremost, the knife is a little heavy for its size. Granted, it looks durable and both sides of the inner handle are reinforced with metal for the liner lock, but compared to the other knives I own that are of comparable size and function, this one is the heaviest. I'd pay a few extra bucks for this knife if they used lighter but durable materials for the handle, like glass-reinforced nylon. Secondly, the ergonomics for deploying the blade leave something to be desired. The spring assist actuator on the back of the blade requires more force to deploy than some of my other knives, and has a somewhat abrupt edge on it and will tend to dig into your finger when you press down on it. Again, it's a nit-pick and not a major issue. However, compared to similar knives, this one is less ergonomic when it comes to working the spring assist. The spring assist is nice and crisp, so I wouldn't change that aspect of it. However, it would be nice to see a slightly larger actuator for more leverage and a more rounded edge on it. Another option like a thumb stud on the blade would be a nice option to deploy it as well.

In summary:

The pros:
- Great price
- Decent steel (8Cr13MoV - similar to AUS8)
- Pretty sharp out of the box and takes a good edge
- Crisp spring assist action
- Stows easily and securely

The cons:
- Heavy
- blade deployment ergonomics

Over time, here are some other things I'd like to learn about this blade:

- How the blade coating holds up
- Edge retention over the longer term
- How well it works with a firesteel
- How it holds up when I drop it in the garage or on the patio. I only say this because I had a $10 S&W knife drop out of my bag while it was over my shoulder and the outer plastic casing on the knife handle cracked.

Overall, it's a great EDC knife for the price.
on May 28, 2015
Love this knife, received this as a gift from a friend and I found a daily use for it. It is not that big when closed, and doesnt bother while in your pocket, while when opened it feels very comfortable.

It is extremely razor sharp out of the box and the black oxide makes it look badass just by watching at it.

The opening system is very quick and you feel confident opening it. I just changed the clip to the inverse side, since it is more handy for me. Overall, serrated is very handy for cutting through rope and other things.

If you're considering this knife, you wont regret it. Buy confidently.
review image review image
on October 11, 2014
UPDATE....I've now owned this knife since Feb.2014 and its still ticking and i use it almost daily, i added some pics i took tonight. 10/18/15

I've owned about 10 pocket knifes, Gerber and buck mostly, this knife will hold up to daily use and is just as good as the ones i mentioned. Super sharp and holds an edge well, fast opening and the perfect size. my only grumble would be that the clip is a little short, but i still love it.
review image review image
on June 20, 2012
Slim design, yet feels substantial in the hand.
Assisted open is-outstanding and wiorks flawlessly time and time again.
Choice of pocket clip positions is convienient.
I have carried this knife every day for nearly a year. Have only done a couple of light sharpening operations with a fine stone.
The black finish shows some marks but my understanding is this is normal...it is not wearing, just shows scuffs etc.
Very happy with Kershaw and this knife.
on January 29, 2013
An attractive, durable and smooth operating knife at a great price. You might have a nicer more expensive knife that you don't want to use because you'll get it dirty or whatever. This knife takes abuse well and looks good doing it.
on February 20, 2016
I absolutely love this knife and I can't say enough good things about it. It is RAZOR SHARP. Brush the blade over your arm and there will be a smooth patch with no arm hairs. Cuts through a heavy cardboard box like butter. It's a little heavy, but it fits great in my front pocket and feels like someone made it especially for my hand.

The real highlight of this knife is the speed safe opening. Lightning fast to open

Would give 6 stars if possible. Bought 3 more Kershaws based on my experience with this one but this is my favorite
on May 24, 2015
This came shipped extremely sharp. Kershaw has a good warranty listed for the product. I haven't had the need to use the warranty to resharpen the knife, but overall this knife is the ideal size, grip, and offers what I needed in a pocket knife. I generally use it to cut up boxes, open things, cutting rope, and general non-specific uses and it has holded up well. Usually the duller a knife the more dangerous it is, but this thing is so sharp it has caught me off guard a couple times. I accidently cut myself when I first got it without even knowing. The tip just grazed a finger when I was closing it and there was no pain, just blood. This was my own fault though for not being careful. The trigger mechanism is fantastic, my only wish is that there was some sort of mechanism for returning it to the closed position with a single hand more fluidly. Though this wish really hasn't been met on any legal spring assisted knife in my state that I have found. (the wish being easy single handed opening and closing mechanisms).