Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale

on July 28, 2011
This knife is a BEAST. Almost everything about this knife is perfect. This is not my first Kershaw product, and probably won't be my last. However, this could be the last EDC folder I'll ever need. Its thin (only about .5 inches) and the t6 aluminum handle is light, yet feels sturdy and reliable. The grippy trac-tec inserts give the knife a great feel in your hand, and the peace of mind knowing it won't slip from your grip. I opted to pay the extra cash to get this bad boy in s30v, because of it's edge retention. It's probably not necessary since I'm not really abusing the knife, but you never know when the higher steel quality might come in handy. The assisted opening action on this guy is second to none and downright addictive. One you pop, the fun don't stop. And for all you California buyers, this knife, or any of the other Ken Onion Speedsafe knives are not illegal. The opening mechanism is a thumb stud located on the blade, which disqualifies it from being an illegal switch blade. The stone wash finish on the blade is a nice extra, and the blade is razor sharp. I'm talking "don't touch me" sharp. With even the lightest amount of force, you can easily shave layers off of your fingernails (a trick a friend of mine who is a chef taught me to test the sharpness of cutlery). My only qualm with this blur, is the pocket clip. It looks kind of dinky, and its a tuck too tight. I wish I could replace it with the beastly wide clip on my Kershaw Clash. Although its just a beater knife, i must say the clip is amazing. Any who, the sheer awesomeness of this knife quickly makes me forget about the clip. This is a beautifully crafted tool, and I highly suggest you join the Blur Club, s30v or not. Plus it's backed by Kershaw's amazing customer service and limited lifetime warranty, which is the stuff of legends. I hope this review helped, and I hope you purchase this beast of a folder.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2009
I had spent a couple weeks looking for a replacement for my kershaw whirlwind, which was a great knife and I had absolutely no complaints at all, but I eventually decided on the Blur. I liked the fact that the blur was available in S30V steel I had not owned one with this blade material yet but the majority of the reviews for this type of steel have been very promising. I don't think that you can find a better knife for the money. There is not any blade movement when locked, this is the main thing that makes me keep buying Kershaw knives, at least the assisted opening variety. Very sharp out of the box, very fast to open, grips well in your hand. Made in USA and backed by Kershaws lifetime warranty, how can you go wrong?
on August 19, 2011
I enjoy writing reviews - especially on knives. And, the Blur with S30V is no exception. The Kershaw Blur line is possibly the best knife line of any brand on the market today. All Blurs look, feel and perform exceptionally for an EDC/mid-duty folder. Kershaw also machines their edges better than anyone (my opinion). This knife came very sharp, however, I might say that it was just a smidge less sharp than Sandvik models (no surprise to me). Sandvik presents a scalpel-hair-popping edge (which edge holding capacity is not like S30V). Still, I love this Blur the same, and you will too. S30V is my other favorite steel it was developed by Crucible to be an overall performance knife steel. It gets razor sharp, stays that way - is tough and not to brittle; it can be re-honed with a fair effort, and it won't rust. S30V offers the better of all steel worlds. No, it's not the sharpest, hardest, toughest, most expensive, or corrosion-proof steel, but, you'd be pressed to find a steel which hits all those cababilities as good TOGETHER. It's the best overall knife steel out there today.

The assisted opening is quick and firm, and the handle has trac-tech inserts which offer much grip (skateboard tape-like). The beveled thumb-studs are awesome and unique to Blur knives. Your thumb rests perfectly on the knife blade when you need to open it. I like th markings on the knife, and the weight is about 4 oz - great for pocket carry. Lock up is good with minimal play, and the blade is centered perfectly in-nestle. Speak of - the blade shape on this model is slightly different than stock plain-edge Blurs, but it still maintains the nice recurve and belly. The jimping on top is seemingly underwhelming until you press your bare-thumb into it - it actually digs in nicely and offers a good amount of traction.

There are so many great reviews of this knife, and I certainly am glad to add to the list. Kershaw is a true-American-kick-ass brand and they care about their products and are constantly adapting to their customer base and commitment to quality. If I had to pick at this knife, I would say that it should be offered in a few different colors and I think the pivot-bolt ought to be a touch larger (for this knife - with this steel); However, I won't fuss too much. For less than $80, you get an assisted-opening S30V knife with a lifetime warranty (made in USA) and most higher dollar competitors offer similar knifes for much more ($100-$200).

Hint - I just recently purchased a Blur plain-edge with 420HC steel. The price was $30 on Amazon (I heard was a special which Kershaw put together exclusively for Amazon). If you cannot afford the S30V model, I promise the 420HC model will really work well for your wallet, and your use - hair splitting sharp, great looking and same great handle and assisted opening as this one. It may wear a bit more, but it's the same knife handle and all else except the blade. Or, if you want a great compromise find the Sandvik plain edge model - SUPER! I love ALL of my Blurs.
on March 22, 2011
This is the best knife I have seen or owned from Kershaw. You can get the same knife with a different blade for about half this price, but this one has an S30V blade. S30V is considered one of the best metals for pocket knives because it holds a good edge and is still fairly corrosion resistant. It does take a little longer to sharpen than cheaper steels because of it's hardness, but once it's there it holds a good edge.

The assisted open works very well and once the blade is open it stays in place and feels very sturdy. I do prefer other types of locks over a liner lock, but for a liner lock this does the job well.

The grip inserts feel good in your hand and keeps the knife from slipping even when wet. The aluminum handle is flat which is good when it's in your pocket, but not as good when it is in your hand. I personally prefer a handle that is more contour to the hand, but I don't take any points off for something that is purely preference.

Overall, this is a very good knife from Kershaw that will last a very long time if used properly. If you like Kershaw knives as much as I do you will not regret owning this one. The only catch, for me, is that the allure of Kershaw has been that they make very good quality knives in the USA and still keep their prices down to about half as much comparable knife companies. This knife maintains and even builds on that tradition with the exception of the price. For example, I could buy a Benchmade Mchenry and Williams Design Knife for about $7 more than this knife and get a superior locking mechanism with a slightly inferior blade material. I'm not saying not to buy this knife, I own it and love it, but at this price point you may want to also consider some of the pricier brands too.

EDIT: The price drop makes this a 5 star knife and if you don't have one yet you need to buy this before the price jumps back up. If you already have one then you should consider buying one for the outdoorsmen in your family who don't own one yet.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2010
This is a well made USA knife. It has S30V knife steel, an aluminum handle with a rough finish grippy grip, & a very fast assisted opener. There is no wiggle or play anywhere when the blade is locked open, a liner lock & it has a limited lifetime guarantee! Even the thumb stud is slanted for when using the assisted blade opener.
A very highly recommended knife except for wearing a suit or where it is not legal due to the blade length.
on January 16, 2012
Ordered this item from amazon a few months ago for general purpose box opening, whittling, rope cutting, etc, Typical knife things. It's holding up great so far.

Steel: Low price S30V. The only other budget S30V blade I can think of is the Spyderco Native, which while a great knife, has known QC problems and lacks the spectacular assist open Kershaw makes. S30V is a compressed powdered steel made by Crucible. Slightly harder to sharpen than the cheaper 154CM or VG10, but it pays with a greater edge retention, especially over even cheaper steels such as 410, 420(HC), 440(A,B,C,HC). S30V loses the hair popping factory razor edge somewhat quickly, but retains a seriously sharp working edge for a long long time afterward. Stonewash finish is nice, and doesn't show scratches too easily.

Blade Shape: It's a modified drop point which is excellent for day to day tasks like box cutting and pushing through those thick impossible-to-open plastic blister packs. It's also functional for hunting, gutting and skinning game. Note that it is not for prying. The tip will break from prying or throwing, but it's not designed for those tasks. There is a slight recurve near the handle that I find to be surprisingly useful in whittling or any other sort of fine work, but it's mild enough that sharpening isn't affected much. The factory edge is hair popping sharp (run the blade along your arm as to shave it, not cut, and hairs literally pop off your arm as you go). This edge was lost relatively quickly, but a sharp working edge stays for quite a long time. And, if you don't want to sharpen it yourself, send it to Kershaw and they'll do it in their factory for free.

Handle: There's something about coated anodized aluminum that just feels better and sturdier than a smooth metal or rubber handle. The Trac-Tek insert feels like a rubberized grip tape such as on a skateboard, but more resilient and softer. It grips your hand exceedingly well, wet, dry, gloved, etc. It's thin but feels very sturdy, borderline unbreakable. The handle coating shows scratches, but by nature they only make it look better.

Assist Open and Lock: Kershaw's Speedsafe system is incredible. There is an angled thumbstud on each side of the blade, allowing for left or right handed open. It open lightning fast and locks with a solid click. Very intimidating, with a powerful open. It does not easily pocket open. The liner lock feels solid. I definitely trust it in straightforward cut jobs, but if I need to put a lot of weight and power into the cut, it seems less than ideal. Used in a safe manner, the lock should be adequate.

Pocketing: The pocket clip is nice and strong, but a bit tighter than I would like. Seems like it's starting to loosen up over time. The Trac-Tek inserts are a bit abrasive in your pocket, but nothing you won't deal with. The pocket clip is removable and adjustable for tip up or tip down carry, but is only right handed.

Warranty: Kershaw backs their products with an awesome lifetime warranty, along with free tune-ups/sharpening.

Overall, this is a great every day carry knife. Comes in handy for all sorts of cutting jobs, and while it's not for super heavy work, a fixed blade will serve you better than any folder. For day to day cutting jobs it's a great, thin, cleanly designed knife that does what it should more than adequately, for a reasonable price.
on April 6, 2011
I have had this knife in the serrated variety since 2006. The torsion bar did snap once, a simple email to kershaw had a new one at my door no charge, plus another spare. In 2010 after 4 years of daily use the blade was getting a little wiggly, sent the knife to Kershaw, they sent me a brand new one in box no questions asked. This is how you keep customers for life, and I have no plans of ever buying any other brand folder.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2012
So I have been wanting to get a small knife as an upgrade to my very old swiss army and looked around and read a ton of reviews on various knives. I ended up looking at Kershaw knives because they're associated with Ken Onion and Shun... I own Shun knives and find them to be spectacular knives so I thought why not give some Kershaw Ken Onion designs a try. As a side note, before looking for a knife upgrade I had no idea there would be so many options and I didn't even know there was a cult following of knife collectors/etc out there. I thought it would be hard to find reviews about knives but I came to find out that there were enough reviews out there to make my head spin!

So... the point is, please know that this review is from the point of view of someone who is not a knife collector and knew very little about knives/steel/etc before this. All I knew was that I wanted to get a few new knives for me and my wife and I wanted to get something that was quality as I had become accustomed to using knives as sharp as my Shun's in my kitchen. I wanted to get something extra small, small, and medium in size so I went with the Chive, Leek, and Blur. Below you'll find mini reviews on each knife that I have bought including pros and cons.

On to the actual reviews!

Kershaw Chive Black
--------------------
Pros:
1. Compact yet fits in hand nicely (I have normal size hands)
2. Stylish! The black is really sleek and even professional looking.
3. Incredibly sharp! I think this has 420HC steel... it's razor sharp as expected with anything Ken Onion

Cons:
1. Amazon's picture make it look like the handle has contours to it because of the reflections... not so. It's flat on both sides... not sure if that's a con or not but be aware that if you think there are contours in the handle, there aren't!
2. Thumb studs are useless unless you have tiny hands...
3. Can be slippery
4. Fingerprint magnet!

Conclusion: Though my cons list outweigh my pros, this knife still gets 5 stars. After all, it's still a razor sharp and compact knife that's stylish to boot! The cons I have for this knife are really just nitpicking... Couldn't be happier with this one!

Kershaw Leek Black
--------------------
Pros:
1. Perfect size for every day carry... not too small and not too big
2. Great looking knife. The flat black looks really good IMO.
3. Incredibly sharp! The 14C28N steel is great... it's razor sharp, slightly sharper than the Chive in my opinion

Cons:
1. None, this knife is pretty great.

Conclusion: This knife is pretty perfect as an every day carry knife. Looks great, feels great in the hand and is very very sharp. I actually gave this one to my wife so she could keep it on her every day for her commute to and from work as sometimes she has to walk to her car in some dark spots in my neighborhood in the city. I was afraid she wouldn't use it but she actually takes it with her every day and carries it in hand every day to her car. She has said that she likes it a lot and likes the locking mechanism because she knows that when its locked the blade won't accidentally come out.

Kershaw Random Leek with partially serrated blade (grey)
--------------------
Pros:
1. Perfect size for every day carry... not too small and not too big... as expected with the Leek
2. Great looking knife. The flat grey looks very good in person.
3. Incredibly sharp! This leek came with s30v steel and it has not disappointed me. While I feel that all Kershaw Ken Onion knives will be razor sharp, this s30v blade seems and even looks to be sharper than the others I've mentioned in this review

Cons:
1. The grey does look nice but the handle kind of has the texture of a chalk board. I'm hoping this goes away with continued use as I really don't like the feel of chalk board...

Conclusion: Besides the texture of the handle, this knife seems to be perfect in every way for me. I like that it's only partially serrated with a scallop serrated edge rather than the pointy serrated edges. I never really find the pointy serrated edges that useful. The scalloped serrated edge seems much more useful to me as it gives just enough serration to cut through things without getting caught on them which is my experience with other serrated edge knives. As of right now, this knife wins as my every day carry knife.

Kershaw Blur with s30v Steel
--------------------
Pros:
1. Good size, has some heft to it unlike the Leek and Chive
2. The Easy-grip Trac-Tec inserts are great... give it a nice feel in the hand
3. Incredibly sharp! Having read up on the s30v steel I definitely wanted to see this one for myself. The blade on this is slightly longer than the leek and it has more of a curve to it, which makes it useful in certain situations over my trusty leek.

Cons:
1. Would have liked to have a quick release speed safe mechanism on this knife like the leek and chive. The thumb studs are ok but take some getting used to if you haven't used anything like them before like me.
2. No lock... a con for me but probably a pro for others.

Conclusion: All in all this knife is great. I use this knife for when I need something a bit more heavy duty than the leek and chive.

SO... Which one is my favorite?

If I had to choose it'd be the s30v leek with serrated edge. For me, the leek has the best size for an every day carry knife and the s30v blade just tops it off. The Chive, Leek, and Blur really do have different purposes for me though. The Chive is something I can keep in the office, the Leek is an every day carry, while the blur is more heavy duty for camping/etc when you need a heftier blade. In any case, after getting these knives I think I'll be set for quite some time in the knife department!
review image
on January 9, 2010
I'm no knife expert...But I think the quality of this knife is superb. Action of the opening mechanism is very fast and smooth, fairly quiet. Steel is the highest quality for folding knives, and I expect the knife will be extremely durable. I thought I got a lot for this price, and I'd buy another Kershaw product without hesitation.
on May 27, 2011
I don't have a ton of experience with knives, but I think this one is great.
I always carry my knife, but I mainly use it for Boy scout activities. It cuts well in the applications I used it for (cutting wood shavings and hacking cardboard boxes apart just for fun.)
The assisted opening works smoothly and simply. It opens fast, but doesn't make your hand jerk.
The blade was and is razor sharp. This was the first knife I have owned that could shave hair off my arm.
I don't know what the finish on the blade is called, but it can be scratched rather easily. It doesn't affect performance at all, just an aesthetic thing.
As other people have said, the grip is very good, but it can tear up your pocket. I have had this knife for about six months and the edge of the pocket on the jeans I wear the most is torn up.
Since the blade steel is high-carbon, you'll want to keep it clean and dry or you'll start seeing little specks of rust.
This is a very fun knife. It is fun to flick open and the zip as it slices through things is very satisfying.
I would recommend you buy it, as long as you don't mind your pockets getting lightly shredded.