Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 16, 2012
Had a friend with a smaller version of this knife, and thought it was a great little cutter. I figured I'd go full one ton and one up him, but I was wrong. The knife overall is just "okay". The knife would be rockin five full stars if it wasn't for the grip. Being textured on one side and smooth steel on the other, it's tough to open and close. That might change with some work, let the knife loosen up a bit, but I still don't see that I'm going to be happier about that grip. It's a mood killer, for sure.

Following up: Okay, so I've worked with the knife a bit, and over a couple days the action's loosened up a little. Also, with just a little adjustment in my grip, opening the knife is getting easier. My complaints about the grip are still there, but I'm making adjustments myself to deal.

And it is worth it... I broke down a box the other day after buying a new lawnmower, and decided to try this knife out instead of a box cutter. Holy (insert expletive of choice here), this knife slices like you wouldn't believe. Overall, my review is going to go from a three to a four. That one star is still over the grip, but I'm learning to live with it.
on February 20, 2013
The Kershaw One Ton is a decent knife, once you learn to deal with the issues. Opening the blade can be a bit difficult, but with practice, it will work out. Obviously, this would not be a good knife for wet environments, as bead-blasted finished steel is prone to rust. But my main issue is with the grip and the form factor. It's very thin closed up, which makes it insanely easy to carry, like I wasn't carrying a knife at all. However, that thin form factor is an issue when it comes to grip. The grip on the knife is doable, but it's not comfortable. Also, the G-10 on one side and the steel on the other side looks awkward.
On the plus side, the blade shape is really good for utility tasks, and although it's not a good stabbing shape, it comes in useful. And it's very sharp out of the box.
It's not a bad knife for the money. If you like the blade shape, buy it, but I can't help but think that there are other knifes around this price range that might be easier to deal with.
on June 27, 2014
To start, I've had 100's of knives, and tested all types for my needs. This is an EDC (everyday carry) knife for me. I've had 3 or 4 of these, and only bought another when one was misplaced, or taken away (long story). I've never seen one reach the end of its life or get damaged. I have multiple carry knives, as I regularly leave it in a spot I'm working, so I grab another one that's closer and carry that for awhile. I like the variety, as each knife has benefits that others don't. I keep coming back to this knife and buying more for 3 reasons:

1. It's super light with only a liner on one side. I don't baton wood with it or anything (well, not often), and I've never had any problem with the overall structure being weak from it's lightness. It really is significantly light for it's strength.

2. The flip open functionality is the fastest and smoothest of all my knives with that style of opening. I take it apart and clean it up from time to time, but it takes a lot to get enough grit in there to slow it down to that point (and I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning/sharpening). Once cleaned, it's fast and smooth again, usually for months of daily use. It's just quick, and I've had more than one person say something like "I thought switchblades were illegal."

3. The blade simply cuts well, and holds an edge. I haven't measured, but it seems the angle of the blade edge is smaller than most other knives out of the box (think razor vs chisel). Even with the more gradual edge, it doesn't dull quickly. I know various alloys have different strengths, and I don't even remember what this one is made of. I've just gone through a few now and love how long it cuts and stays sharp. There have even been times where I pull it out in the kitchen to finely slice something, even though we have high end kitchen knives.

For the record, I do have other, more expensive knives that I hold onto more closely. Some have better steel, and I push the limits more with those. For everyday use though, without having to worry about the knife and how much you'd be out if it was lost/damaged, this knife is perfect, and often overkill for regular tasks. This knife is awesome value for the money, and along with all my other knives, I'll continue to buy this one to have around.
on January 8, 2015
Finally got this bad boy in the mail. Packaging was a yellow bubble envelope and inside was the Kershaw box with a general instruction manual for opening folded knives and care. The knife itself looks great, I like the feel of it in my hand and yes the blade is stamped made in China. It arrived razor sharp out the box and very sturdy. So much so that the frame lock took me a while to close one handed. The knife pops open into place with the flick of the wrist and some force onto the thumb stud. I will play with it a bit more in hopes that the locking mechanism loosens a tad. Overall good first impression, I may up the grade to 5 stars after I have used as primary edc.
review image review image review image review image review image
on June 28, 2015
Love Kershaw knives. This one is no different. Sharp edge, smooth opening, good price. Reason for the one star off is that having purchased the 1/4 ton and 1/2 ton models I thought this would be just a bigger version of them. Wrong. This is a completely different knife. 1/4 and 1/2 are liner locks and the one ton is a frame lock. Not a big deal but the first two are identical except for the size. Blade is crazy sharp. Good knife. LARGE
on June 8, 2014
The knife was actually a bit larger than I expected, it's price was awesome, it's a good beater knife.
I mostly used fixed blades when out doing anything heavy, but I tried this one out just so I get to play with it and held up nicely.
I wouldn't recommend if you use around people squeemish about knives, it is pretty large.
I havent tried them yet but give the half ton and 3/4 ton a look as well. This is not a small knife.
The blade was a little stiff at first, I adjusted it very very slightly and just cycled it open and closed a bunch of times until I found how I liked it. 5/5 since it completely met my expectations and was actually a bit more sturdy than I originally imagined it.
Only got one day abusing it a lot more than I should have but was just having fun with it still good to go, it did dull after playing with it all day, used for cutting some rope, branches, and boxes.
Easy blade to sharpen though.
on May 22, 2014
I was looking for a new everyday knife and i am glad i found this one. I got it a couple weeks ago and i use it nearly everyday from cutting my lunch to slicing up bills. It came razor sharp, i shaved my arm hairs ( don't shave your forearm everyone will ask why are you missing a patch of hair ) It has a great clip that sits low so just enough sticks out to grab but not too much to notice. Overall i love this knife and can see using it every day for years. The only negative thing i found is opening one handed, sometimes i can but most of the time i can't. It does open easy but the force needed relative to the thumb stud makes it hard. maybe after it wears in a little it might open easier so far that's the only thing i don't like and why i knocked a star off.
on November 17, 2013
I like it, but for some reason, I just love the 3/4 ton better. I don't know why. It just has a better feel in the hand. I actually ended up giving this one to a friend. They're incredible knives though, very sturdy, sharp, well made. no complaints here.
on October 28, 2013
Make no mistake - this knife is HUGE by pocket knife standards.

My state requires knives be less than 4" in blade length to be carried, and this comes in right under that. I have other knives with longer blades that don't feel or look as big. That being said, for a $20 knife this is phenomenal. Pillar construction. Super light weight. Solid frame lock. Sharp right out of the box (and got sharper quick with a few passes of the strop).

Despite its size, it carries very well in the pocket. It is deceptively thin and very light weight, so I forget it's there. I thought it would be too big for an EDC but I find myself carrying it more and more.

Giving it four stars because when I flipped it to tip-up carry (my preferred method - a $20 knife with a flipable clip!) it really protrudes from the pocket. I wish Kershaw would put deep-carry clips on some of these larger knives, so the whole world can't see you're carrying a 3.75" machete in your cargo pocket!
on May 3, 2014
Overall everything works great on this knife, and the value was excellent.
Low aspect ratio blade and slim design is very nice.
Seems like it will be able to handle a lot of different chores.
Blade arrived very sharp; no loose or missing parts.
Blade deploys and retracts great; one handed deployment/retraction no problem.
Tension on blade is just right, not too stiff, not too loose, but of course could be adjusted with a star screwdriver if needed.
Matte finish on the blade is unobtrusive, hope it will wear well ( haven't used heavily yet ).
Very nice overall; will be buying more Kershaw in the future.