5.0 out of 5 stars Keto Mom recommends this book
I bought this book after my son started the ketogenic diet. This books has great recipes and suggestions. I make waffles which are his favorite. I learned where to buy products. This books makes the diet easier.
Published on November 12, 2007 by Keto Mom

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY THE WRONG KIND OF FATS
Published 18 months ago by S. Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Keto Mom recommends this book, November 12, 2007
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keto Kid Is A Healthy, Seizure-Free One Thanks To Low-Carb Living!, March 23, 2009
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
Does you child need to be on a ketogenic diet to control epilepsy or obesity? Then this is the book you need to read from cover to cover and follow exactly for important information about making meals you kid will eat, deal with special events like birthdays, helping your child understand why he can't have certain foods anymore, and a detailed diary account of the author's success at implementing this low-carb approach with her four-year old son who was having constant seizures. Two years later, he is seizure-free because of a high-fat, low-carb ketogenic diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this book!!, June 29, 2009
Dresden Engle (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
My daughter has been on the Ketogenic Diet for one year (and still seizure-free!)and we could not have done it without this book and the wisdom and generosity of Dr. Deborah Snyder. She spoke to me mom-to-mom and her medical expertise, in addition to her being mom to a seizure-free sweet boy, made me feel more confident in my cooking and food decisions. Thank you and bless you!

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY THE WRONG KIND OF FATS, April 5, 2013
S. Bell (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
I was curious so I ordered this book. Then I was horrified to read the recipes and recommendations. They basically want you to eat highly polyunsaturated fatty acids as your main fat - so GMO canola is in everything. The recipes make no mention of healthy fat from grass-fed butter, grass-fed meats or coconut oil. The author admits that this would be dangerous for anyone except a kid with seizures, who they feel has no other choice. I agree, except that this is a dangerous diet for everyone. Poor freaking kid. There is a healthy way to do a ketogenic diet, and it involves removing grains, legumes and sugars from the diet, eating plenty of coconut oil, grass-fed butter and meats, and supplementing with some healthy greens. This is so doable, and so healthy. But this book will not give you any sense of that at all. To be fair, this is probably exactly what all the doctors and conventional medical establishment tell you to do, and it can seem crazy not to follow their dietary advice when it comes to your kid with seizures. This book might be healthy in a bind or when you are starting out in total panic mode, but please get off the PUFAs and especially the GMO foods. We are talking about sick kids here, don't make it worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Support for the Keto Parent, July 12, 2010
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
Since my 5 year old started the Keto diet I was anxious and nervous. This book is short and sweet. But best of all very informative in a plain English parent to parent setting. You receive good advice that makes sense and has actually helped me help my child transition from a no schedule almost no limit of food to a highly restricted diet.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Bible for Keto, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
WOW!! I do not think that we would have been as successful if it wasn't for this book. My son was 3 when starting the Ketogenic Diet and this was a life saver...really. This is a MUST HAVE if you have a child starting keto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource!, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
This book is an excellent resource for anyone preparing for, or going through, the diet. The author includes personal experience, resources, recipes, product suggestions, & diet tips. A must read for parents of "Keto Kids." It has been an invaluable resource for us and was very reassuring when we were preparing for the diet for our little one, and is still a great resource for us to get ideas and even a form of support from. So grateful she wrote about her family's experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for parents starting ketogentic diet, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
This book is fantastic for parents with children on the ketogentic diet. I love the combination of fact, recipes and personal experience. I just marked 15 new recipes I want to try last night. So glad to have options other than those from the hospital. The author shares her own journals through their families journey. I have found these incredibly helpful as I go through many of the same thoughts, fears and experiences. Great to know someone has been there before me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing; repetitive, May 15, 2014
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
As one who is seriously considering the ketogenic diet to treat my daughter's epilepsy, I've been eagerly devouring any books even remotely related to the ketogenic diet. As the possibility of implementing the diet begins to loom, I finally ordered this book.

To say it's disappointing is an understatement. I'm giving two stars only because, I suppose, if you *started* with this book, you might find it helpful. But I would not suggest starting here, nor would I suggest buying it at all.

From the outset, I found it to be strangely organized. The first chapter is on holidays. Don't get me wrong: holidays are important and absolutely should be included in the book. But as the first chapter, before "Coping with the Diet"? No. I also found it to be badly edited.

In addition, it was highly repetitive. I would read something and think, "Didn't she just say this a few pages ago?" It's a short book, with at least half devoted to recipes, so the repetition is especially odd and noticeable.

With regards to her recipes, I didn't find them to be particularly helpful. She gives you a recipe, but doesn't *tell* you anything helpful about it--like the ratio--because she wants you to do the math yourself. I do not deny that learning to do the math on your own is important, but how are these recipes meant to be useful if you have to recalculate them all on your own?

Finally, her suggested notes for caretakers, while basically helpful, are strange written. For instance, in the proposed note--which the author actually used--, "Grandma's instruction for a parents' weekend away," Grandma is instructed thusly: remove foil from frozen dinner, replace with plastic wrap, heat in microwave until warm. And: put a straw cut to 2/3 its original size into the cup of cream. I'm sorry, but is Grandma brain dead? If Grandma needs to be instructed how to use a microwave and toaster, then I would suggest she is not capable of caring for ANY child, let alone one on a special diet.

I cannot recommend that anyone buy this book. I highly recommend "Fighting back with Fat" and "The Keto Cookbook." These books contain all the info that is to be found in "Keto Kid" (plus more!) they're arranged better, written better, and are FAR more helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dubious., June 28, 2013
Atlas&Co. (Santa Cruz, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keto Kid (Paperback)
We bought this book along with "Ketogenic Diets" by Freeman et.al, which is considered to be the authoritative book on the subject. I'm concerned that even in the preface of "Keto Kids," there is no mention that this diet must be undertaken under close supervision by a hospital or clinic specialized in administering the ketogenic diet. Our daughter is set to begin the diet at Stanford next month, and it begins with a 4-day hospitalization to determine her exact caloric needs for growth and management of her metabolic disorder. The book has no quotes from the medical community to lend credibility to the author's recipes. I am also disturbed by the author's frequent references to God in a book geared at parents who are dealing with serious illness in their children. Many of us are not religious and put our confidence in science and medicine, despite the fact that there are still unknowns about the diet. To suggest that some other force is at work in the case of sick children and their treatment is irresponsible, especially for a professed "family physician."

Keto Kid: Helping Your Child Succeed on the Ketogenic Diet
Keto Kid: Helping Your Child Succeed on the Ketogenic Diet by Deborah Snyder (Paperback - December 28, 2012)
$19.99 $17.67