5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Training Tool
I own a kettlebell gym, and we train regular everyday folks, high school athletes, and college and professional athletes. In our opinion, kettlebells are the ultimate training tool suitable for anyone at any level.

Published on February 4, 2012 by Jay Trunzo

1.0 out of 5 stars A nearly complete waste of money.
Published on October 29, 2011 by Beefcake

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Training Tool, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Kettlebell Conditioning for MMA and Other Fight Sports (Paperback)

When we were first approached by fighters to help in their training, the common complaint was that typical strength and conditioning programs don't respect the fighter's need to actually train to fight. We have a former Light Heavyweight Champion (boxer) that trains with us, and his first words were "I don't have a bunch of hours a week to get strong."

As a trainer, I'm always looking for new ways to help my clients. That's how I came across this book. Scott Shetler has assembled seven training templates that act as a starting point for fighters to get strong fast. His programs accomplish this without burning out the athlete and without requiring the athlete to spend hours under a barbell.

The programs also mimic fight conditions. Using the fundamental kettlebell lifts detailed in the book and Scott's templates, we can put a fighter in conditions that feel a lot like those experienced in the ring. It takes a special person to go hard for a three or five minute round, and fighters gotta dig deep in the middle of our training rounds just like they do in the ring.

Scott's templates also work to keep fighters fast and sharp. Put a guy under a barbell or work him heavy in a "traditional" gym environment today and watch him get killed in his sparring session tomorrow. Scott's programs fit seamlessly into the fighter's overall training regimen.

Like our former Light Heavyweight Champion mentioned earlier, we trained a college boxer using these templates almost exclusively. He went to the NCAA Championships two years in a row and finished second (losing to his nemesis both times by one point). Proof is in the results.

If you're looking for a book full of platitudes and fluff, look elsewhere. I've lost my patience with the most recognizable kettlebell book publisher. If you're into the false motivation sold in those kinds of books, you shouldn't be anywhere near a fighter (and you shouldn't be one). If you want to learn more about training a fighter (or training like one), and you can't pay someone like me a small fortune, then invest a couple of bucks in this book. It's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great resource, February 9, 2012
I found this book after reading some of Scott Shetler's articles in FIGHT! Magazine. This book is an excellent resource for the utilization of kettlebells in combat sport training. I highly recommend this for anyone needing to incorporate strength and conditioning work into their training. Something that absolutely amazed me was the author's willingness to provide additional suggestions and guidance after I contacted him with a few questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to Your Training Arsenal, February 9, 2012
Scott's book is a great addition for any combat athlete, or anyone looking to improve their fitness, to include in his/her training regimen. It's very instructive, with great pictures and descriptions on how each movement works. He also provides great information on how to set up a great workout. Not only that, but the supplemental exercises included in the back that are not traditional kettlebell movements, add a great dimension to what can be done.

Just like his book says, kettlebells are not the end all to your training routine. They are an awesome addition to help kill your hips, glutes, shoulders and grip. Kettlebells WILL increase your explosive power. I've noticed this personally with my punches and kicks. My grip as gotten phenomenally better when it comes to my clinch game too. I strictly do Muay Thai, so I can't say from experience how it affects your ground game, but I can only imagine how much better your grip becomes when trying to tie someone up or wrestle with them. In addition to the explosiveness you'll gain, you're cardio will pick-up too. Kettlebells are one the rare tools you can use that gives you strength, speed, and stamina. And what fighter or fitness junkie doesn't want that?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Follow - Great Results, February 7, 2012
I am a gym owner, certified personal trainer, kettlebell lifter, certified combat athlete specialist (by the WKC), certified kettlebell fitness trainer (by the WKC) and most importantly an amateur Muay Thai fighter and I can tell you that the techniques, workouts and information in Scott Shetler's book is easy to read, easy to follow and most importantly, it gets results!

We train beginners looking for weight loss, endurance athletes and fighters and all of them are put through rigorous kettlebell workouts that help get all of them results. Many of the workouts and techniques we use for our clients at our gym and I use personally for myself for my own fight training and preparation come form this book and from training with Scott. Scott's knowledge and experience training fighters is vast and comes through in this training book. Training manuals should not be 150 pages long, hard to read, be full of scientific jargon that no normal person can pronounce or understand and it does not need 50 different workouts for you to pick from; a training manual should be simple, basic, to the point, easy to follow and understand and easy ti implement and I can attest that this book is all of those things. If you need your hand held and you need dozens of customized workouts made just for you and you don't have the intelligence to pick different exercises from a list and plug them into a training format then you need a personal trainer or one-on-one coaching. Could Scott have put in a few more pages of actual workouts? Sure. but that doesn't mean this is a bad book. This isn't rocket science, Scott gives you the format and a list of exercises to plug into the format and a few sample workouts so you get the idea, if you need more than that, like I said, you need one-on-one coaching and you should allow someone else (a professional) to manage your training for you.

I can personally tell you that kettlebell training, specifically the training format in this book written by Scott will give you and/or your clients/fighters the edge you/they are looking for to win their fights. The kettlebell training program laid out in this book is easy to use and it will give a fighter crushing strength and will greatly increase their VO2 max, which translates directly to fighting. I have personally beaten and helped to train other fighters to beat very technically good fighters with brute strength, speed and power and I attribute that to kettlebell training.

Buy this manual, you won't be disappointed. Thanks to Scott for sharing his knowledge, too many people in the fight game keep their training a secret and sharing training knowledge shows a true love for training and for improving the fighting community.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creates better athletes, February 4, 2012
Jeff (Phoenix, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
This book goes beyond strength training and creates athletes who are strong, but can also fight without getting tired. The first time you try this, you'll feel like your shoulers and back are on fire, and you'll be exhausted and out of breath. A month later, you'll be stronger, faster, and have better conditioning.

Scott's program builds shoulders of steel, great hip mobility, and lungs to carry you 12 rounds. I'd recommend this for beginners to build a base of strength and endurance, but also for more advanced athletes who need an edge. No fighter or athlete would ever argue they were too fast, too strong, or too mobile. You'll feel your striking ability improve in as little as five workouts, but the real magic happens a few months in.

Scott presents this in a simple manner that everyone can incorporate into their training program, but don't be fooled by the simplicity. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good step by step approach to working with kettlebells, February 4, 2012
John M (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
I'm not sure what that other reviewer is talking about but I have this book and I'm really happy with it. It's clearly written, well laid out, and offers 7 training program templates along with really quite detailed step by step instructions on how to do the exercises (with detailed photos), for half the price of a personal training session with someone as well known as Scott.

If you're at all interested in getting started with kettlebells, get this book, whether you're training for a fight, or, like me are just looking to increase your fitness and mix it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 4, 2012
This book is a great training manual for anybody, from beginners to advance. The book provides a training template with 7 exercises that help with fight preparation. In full detail, the book gives step by step instructions to each one of these exercises. The book is at a great cost. I am an amateur fighter myself and ever since I have been working with Scott my conditioning keeps surpassing itself with each fight. A regiment of my conditioning involves kettle bell exercises that are in the book. The book definitely is useful for a blue print to great kettle bell conditioning.

1.0 out of 5 stars A nearly complete waste of money., October 29, 2011
I purchased this book strictly based on the reputation of the American Kettlebell Club. I am disappointed. The book had approximately 50 pages with only two that can be viewed as possibly useful, and absolutely not worth one dollar. This is not good for anyone, beginner to advanced. The majority of the pages in the book contain brief explanations and pictures of basic kettlebell exercises. If you wanted to start working out with kettlebells the Dragon Door books by Pavel remain the most informative. The conditioning explained in the book can be summed up as 3-5 minutes on and one minute off. That was the only "useful" information gleamed from the book. The title misleads you into believing that this book explains how kettlebell condintioning can be geared towards MMA training, not so. It pretty much says that kettlebell training provides good conditioning. I would rather buy a kettlebell book with detailed explanations and one sentence that states that conditioning is good for any sport, no kidding. BOTTOM LINE: I feel scammed by this poorly written book. This book won't be good for anyone. Look elsewhere.

ARRAY(0xa36aef54)

Kettlebell Conditioning for MMA and Other Fight Sports
Kettlebell Conditioning for MMA and Other Fight Sports by Scott Shetler Forward by Donovan Craig (Paperback - July 15, 2010)
$34.95 $31.46