5.0 out of 5 stars Very complete, thorough introduction to kettlebells
Some of the kettlebell books I've read do a good job going over techniques. Others are good at showing you how to put together a routine. This one does a very good job at both, showing the reader the basic exercises, as well as how to modify them, and offering routines that meet the needs of just about everyone.
If you're just starting out with kettlebells or want to...
Published on July 27, 2010 by Stephen Tobey

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but too wordy. Begs for a DVD
Published on August 18, 2011 by Biblio-Nut

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very complete, thorough introduction to kettlebells, July 27, 2010
Stephen Tobey (Malden, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kettlebells For Dummies (Paperback)
If you're just starting out with kettlebells or want to give it a try, it's still better to find a gym that has classes and take a class or two to learn the basics from a qualified instructor, not only so you know what you're doing but also to see if it's something you like before you invest in a kettlebell or two (they're not cheap)and start training on your own.
Once you've gone through that initial step, if you want to train at home this would be the best book out there to get you started on your own routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Dummies and for "Boomers", June 18, 2010
This review is from: Kettlebells For Dummies (Paperback)
I have always loved baseball and played it until I was 35 when I retired from playing. For the next 25 years I enjoyed coaching my two sons who are now grown up. Last year I decided to go back to the sport I love and play senior softball...but I was a little out of shape. I had a good season but wasn't as strong as I knew I needed to be in order to hit the ball as hard as I used to. My power was gone. After researching Sarah Lurie's website, purchasing a kettlebell, viewing Sarah's DVD and working out, I felt there was something missing. Like I have done when playing baseball I needed to go back to the basic fundamentals. That's where KETTLEBELLS FOR DUMMIES comes in, it lays out the basic fundamentals completely! It has helped me enormously in my workout regimen to get the max out of my workout. I'm feeling my power coming back and last night smoked a shot down the left field line. At 62 I'm having the time of my life! To all you active "Baby Boomers", get yourselves a kettlebell and Sarah Lurie's book. Whether it's senior tennis, golf, softball, basketball, etc., you'll become stronger and feel much better. A must for any sports fanatic "Boomer!"

5.0 out of 5 stars MOST COMPLETE BOOK ABOUT KETTLEBELLS from a Top Expert!, June 17, 2010
This review is from: Kettlebells For Dummies (Paperback)
I have never seen such a thorough kettlebell manuel, including EVERYTHING about kettlebells, all accounted for from scratch. From detailed instructions and tips, to perfectly illustrated movements by Russian Kettlebell Certified Teachers. It had to be a labor of love for Sarah that she put everything important into this book, which just wasn't possible to find all in one place before. You could get this book alone, learn it, and get in the best shape for the rest of your life. Kettlebells are really just tops for that: quick, simple, and really powerful. But if you don't learn correctly, and just grab a quickie, lame plan from a random source, it will fall short. Sarah even spells this out for you, so you can walk out your door and find super qualified instruction, if need be. I feel really happy that this book may find itself in the hands of some who had barely heard of kettlebells, and then find themselves surprised and excited to start swinging one! Thanks Sarah, I must get several more of your KETTLEBELLS FOR DUMMIES books to give out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kettlebell - A to Z, November 4, 2010
This review is from: Kettlebells For Dummies (Paperback)
If you want to learn how to use kettlebells... this book is a great purchase. It's vital to learn how to use the kettlebell properly. Use it correctly, you'll get strong and fit; use it incorrectly, you could get hurt, frustrated and stay fat and/or out of shape.

Kettlebell for Dummies is written in a way that's easy to understand and covers kettlebells from A to Z. From kettlebell history, choosing the right weight, explaining proper posture and lifting technique's, addresses specific needs of various groups (pregnant women, senior's, etc.), and provides resources for continuing education.

Of all the kettlebooks, I've seen... this book gives the most bang for the buck. If you've never had personal instruction from a qualified instructor... then I highly recommend this book. A good adjunct is to buy a kettlebell instructional dvd so that you can see a pro do and explain the maneuvers. There's lots of good one's (Pavel T, Steve Kotter, Mike Mahler). And, periodically go back to this book to refine your understanding and technique.

This book is well worth the money you spend on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but too wordy. Begs for a DVD, August 18, 2011
Biblio-Nut "book addict" (Oak Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kettlebells For Dummies (Paperback)
The author is certainly knowledgeable and thorough, as seen in this detailed book. The first 85 pages are exercises for measuring strength and flexibility and preparing your body for the kettlebell training-- very useful and necessary. The kettlebell instructions that follow could bring you from beginning to near intermediate status, if you can get through the author's nearly 320 pages of advice and procedures. But it is too easy to get bogged down in the volume of verbiage necessary for understanding the instructions. The approximately 220 still photos that accompany the text are of some value in following the text, but they have their limitations, particularly with regard to complex maneuvers. What this book begs for is a DVD or two in-sync with the text. While there are many independent DVDs on kettlebell exercises, including those by the author, they are not always tied in with a detailed training manual for beginners. For the next edition of this book both the author and publisher should include a DVD to support the detailed text.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than enough to get you going, November 11, 2010
This review is from: Kettlebells For Dummies (Paperback)
Being the sexist dinosaur I am I was a little reluctant to buy a kettlebell book written by a women, I figured it would be full of cute little kettlenetics type moves and various other activities that usually involve spandex, headbands or legwarmers it is however a very solid educational and easy to follow guide for those wishing to enter the wonderful world of kettlebell lifting.Sarah does a great job of breaking down the movements into understandable parts and generating enough curiosity in kettlebells to keep you going long enough to see their true benefit I had been using kettlebells for a while before I read her book and found the info helpful. This book would certainly help the novice or someone considering kettlebell training so go ahead take the plunge buy the book once you try kettlebells and do them correctly you'll be sold on their efficacy and oh yeah they're a lot of fun too.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book!, September 28, 2010
This review is from: Kettlebells For Dummies (Paperback)
The Dummies books are always well written, informative and easy to understand. Kettlebells for Dummies is the latest in their series of 'how to' books. Anyone wanting to learn about kettlebells, improve their skill using them, and getting started if they havent already, will learn from this book. Sarah Lurie owns and runs her own kettlebell gym and she knows what she's talking about! I wish I had had this,when I was getting started in kettlebell workouts. Well worth the money. The chapter about youth, seniors and rehab people getting started, is worth the price of the book. Get it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Dummies and Newbies, June 9, 2011
I've been doing Kettle Bells for almost 4 years now and I still found a lot of information in this book that was very helpful. I wish I would have had it before I tried to start my wife on Kettle Bells. It would have saved several trips to the Chiropractor.

The author covers the basics very well and wants to make sure that the beginning Kettle Bell practitioner takes all necessary precautions and understands how to the exercises correctly. She devotes almost a full chapter to proper hip movement which is the foundation for almost all Kettle Bell exercises. I found her writing style to be quite engaging and easy to read.

My only complaint, and it's not a huge one, is that there could be more pictures of different stages of the exercises. There are generally only 2, at most, pictures for each exercise and with the dynamic movements in Kettle Bells that can make it hard to figure out. Fortunately there are videos on the web from multiple sources for most of the exercises in the book, if the reader needs more information.

All in all, I found the book to be very useful and an excellent resource for anyone who isn't already very well versed in Kettle Bells.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not made for the Kindle format, April 16, 2012
I have just recently decided to start working out with kettlebells so it seemed natural to buy this book. While I'm sure a hard copy of this book is great, using it on a Kindle Fire has been horrible. The problem is that the book references things in other chapters so you are skipping around a lot. It's doable but a real pain in the butt. My advice is to buy the printed version of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference ...., February 13, 2011
C. Green (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Kettlebells For Dummies (For Dummies (Health & Fitness))
Bought the kindle edition .... new to kettlebells? ..... this will give you everything you need to make informative decisions for kettlebell purchase a usage ..... it's a primer for those of us that haven't even touched a kettlebell before .... it explains the different types of kettlebells available .... it has recommendations on the specific weights and quantities of bells to buy .... this comes in handy when your about to drop big money on a mail order kettlebell purchase ... the exercises are fairly basic but this is not an issue for beginners as the included exercises 'will kick your butt' for weeks down the road ..... trust me ..... swinging a little hunk of metal around is surprisingly tough .......

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Kettlebells For Dummies
Kettlebells For Dummies by Sarah Lurie (Paperback - June 21, 2010)
$21.99 $14.35