Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

1,214 of 1,238 people found the following review helpful
on November 30, 2006
My wife's Christmas present this year is a Keurig B70 coffee maker. We have a B100 at work that I was very impressed by and we decided that a home machine would nicely fill the need when we might want a cup or two, but might not want to make a full pot.

Long story short: we love the machine. So far, our favorite coffee is Timothy's Kona Blend -- but we haven't tried more than a handful of the scores of varieties of coffees and teas available for the beast. We got the extra filter for when we want to grind and use our own coffee in the machine, but have not yet had the opportunity to try it yet. It is a nice option to have.

We'll still use our Zojirushi thermal carafe brewer when we need a full pot, but the Keurig is wonderful for lesser amounts. Highly recommended.

I learned today that one of the coffee roasters that supplies the K-cups, Green Mountain, just bought Keurig (an American company with a Dutch name). I hope this won't limit the variety of coffees available for the machines -- that would be a major bummer if other roasters bowed out and would cause me to pull my glowing recommendation.

UPDATE 7/30/07: The B70 died today after 8 months of yeoman service. A call to Keurig revealed that the symptoms matched a "bad element" (one would assume heating element). A replacement machine in on its way (arrival in 3-4 days). Keurig doesn't want the old machine back, just a part. Keurig customer service was extremely pleasant and professional. Assuming the replacement machine arrives in good form, the five star rating is intact. I do wonder if there is a generic problem with heating elements in this model -- I'll have to look through the newer reviews to see if I should worry.

UPDATE 1/12/11: The replacement B70 is still going strong 3.5 years later. Still very happy with the unit.

UPDATE 11/16/12: The same B70 is now at my wife's workplace and is still going strong. No additional repairs have been needed.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2006
I recently purchased the new Keurig B-70 Gourmet Single Cup Home Brewing System that was released on October 1st, 2006 and have been very happy with it. The machine is extremely well designed, simple to operate, aesthetically pleasing, and most importantly, brews an excellent cup of coffee. I am very impressed with how quickly it is able to brew a cup of coffee, the selection of brew sizes, and how simple clean up is.

There are a variety of single cup brewers on the market now, many utilizing pre-packaged coffee "pods" for brewing. Personally I was not comfortable purchasing a product where I would be locked into the selection and pricing of a specific manufacturer, or one that would only brew coffee and not tea and cocoa. This is just one area where Keurig really shines above their competition.

Keurig has gathered support of a variety of gourmet coffee, tea, and cocoa manufacturers and there currently there are over 140 different types sold pre-packaged in K-Cups including Green Mountain, Diedrich, Gloria Jean's, Timothy's, Van Houtte, Tully's, Coffee People, Newman's Own, Celestial Seasonings, Bigelow, Twinings, and Ghirardelli. Not only is there a large selection to choose from, there are a variety of resellers online offering K-Cups, and pricing is extremely competitive.

In addition to the pre-packaged offerings, Keurig offers the My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter allows you to use your own gourmet ground coffee in your Keurig home brewer. This option provided the extra level of comfort I personally needed to make the jump into a single cup brewer. Frankly I don't find myself using it very often as I had originally thought, as there are so many options available in pre-packaged K-cups.

The pricing of the Keurig brewers are extremely reasonable, and brews gourmet coffee in just a fraction of the cost of purchasing it from a Starbucks, Coffee People, or similar. I expect that my machine will pay for itself in savings in just a couple months of use.

The only suggestion I have for Keurig is that the My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter be included with the sale of the brewer, and not an optional accessory. It is such an inexpensive accessory that I am surprised it was not included. Overall the Keurig brewers are excellent value and quality and would recommend them to anyone interested in a single cup brewer.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 5, 2006
Being one who loves convenient, but great tasting coffee, I've bought several single-serve coffee machines. The Home Cafe, My Bunn Cafe, and the most recent, Tassimo.

They all worked quite well, considering how "new" they were to the field, and how fresh the field really was at the time, for consumers. I was happy with each purchase(save the Home Cafe, which had a serious mechanical flaw).

I'm not going to spend all my time just comparing the Keurig machine; I'm simply going to say "I wish I'd bought one of these[any Keurig machine] earlier". It meets almost all the desires I had in a single-serve coffee machine.

- Tons of variety in K-cups (which actually can be difficult, I didn't know where to start or what to try!)

- Simple to use

- Beautiful, functional design

- 4 brew size choices

- Keeps water hot for the next cup instead of waiting until you fiddle with the machine

- Can be used with a custom filter K-Cup so you can brew any coffee you like (I'm looking forward to using this with tea too!)

- Much quieter than some machines I've used (the Tassimo is freakishly loud in my opinion)

Those are just some reasons I love this machine. The fact that it makes very good coffee is a big plus too, right? It seems as if the coffee from the Keurig machine tastes less "burnt" than most single serve coffee I've had in the past.

My biggest complaint is the cost. Whether it's worth $200 to you or not, is entirely up to YOU. If you're as obsessed with quick, easy, tasty coffee like I am, maybe you'll agree that it is worth it.

I'm a happy customer, either way. ;)
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I received a B77 as a gift at the end of Nov 2009. 3 days later it would not push water out through the K-cup.
Exchanged it at Costco, worked great until 2 days ago. 1 month of light usage and it's having problems filling from the reservoir.
Going to exchange it for a third but I'm not confident that the next unit will be trouble free.
My brother's same unit that's a year old (and works fine) had a very loud fill pump.
Keurig changed the pump design in the B77 to a small dc motor driven impeller pump. Much much quieter when filling, but apparently cannot always overcome the check valve after the pump.

I always use RO water, and the unit is only 1 month old so scale is not the issue. I refill the tank when it's still on the machine, so no air to get in there to screw up the pump's priming.

Google B70 pump problems.

Edit: I did not bother to exchange the 2nd unit as from what I've read here and on SingleServeCoffee's website, all the B70/B77 are plaqued with this problem. Even ones directly purchased or replaced by Keurig. Maker will for for a few days or weeks, then suffer the "not ready" and then shutdown problem as it is unable to pull water from the reservoir into the heater.

I put a review in on Keurig's website itself but it looks like they censor what gets posted or not, hence the glowing reviews there.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2011
My husband and I purchased the Keurig B70 from QVC as a Christmas gift to ourselves. The second day we used it it clogged up and per instructions we used a paperclip to unplug the hole on the filter, however, this still didn't work so I soaked the filter holder in hot water for about 30 minutes and after some coffee grounds were dislodged, it worked again. Over the course of a month, we had to use that paperclip more times than I can remember. Sometimes I didn't have time to mess with it and would pull out my old $10 coffee maker out so I could get on with my day. The final straw came when I spent over an hour trying to figure out where the clog was, the paperclip was not dislodging anything yet the water simply was not running through the lines. I boxed it up and sent it back before my return time had expired. I felt that spending $170+ on a coffee maker was a big splurge and it was ridiculous that you had to keep paperclips on hand to ensure a cup of coffee. It was really a disappointment. On a final note, for the first time I left a review on QVC regarding the Keurig pretty much saying exactly what I said here. They sent me an e-mail that they would not post the review because my review "did not meet their standards". I thought consumers should be aware that these things might be an issue so I am posting my review with Amazon.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2010
My husband and I decided to buy this coffee maker for two reasons. One, we wanted to break our Starbucks habit/addiction and two, because we both have really different tastes in coffee. A traditional coffee maker just wasn't cutting it for us because we couldn't both drink out of the same pot of coffee and ended up wasting a lot of coffee. So this allows us to each brew our favorite coffee without a lot of waste. The coffee maker is very quick to warm up and it's not any louder than our old coffee pot. You can set the brew strength to suit your taste which is really helpful and it even has an iced coffee setting. The large water reservoir is a really nice feature because we don't have to constantly refill the pot, unless of course we are drinking a lot of coffee or tea!

Now, I know the coffee maker is relatively expensive initially so the return on investment will take a little bit of time. With all the myriad of types and flavors of coffee and tea available, we have truly cut down on our Starbucks addiction and have both tailored our K-Cup purchases to suit our individual tastes. My husband makes two to three of his own Vanilla Latte style iced coffees everyday. I've branched out into trying all kinds of different teas in addition to making my own coffee. It does help that several cream companies have come out with some truly delicious flavored creamers to compliment the wide variety of coffee flavors available.

While we can get a few flavors of the K-cups at our local grocery store, Amazon by far has the best selection and best prices. This particular model of coffee maker came with an assortment of coffees so we could try a variety. When you are first starting out with this coffee maker, I would definitely recommend finding an assortment pack so you can decide what your favorites are without having a whole bunch of extra K-Cups left over of things you don't like. Another nice feature that is available for purchase separately is a filter assembly for use with your own coffee. This comes in handy if you have a special coffee flavor that isn't prepackaged by any of the K-Cup makers. Just be sure to use care when you grind your own beans and ensure you read the instructions so you don't use too fine or too course of a grind.

We are extremely please with the quality of this coffee maker and the wide variety of quality coffees and teas available for it. If you have the cash and you are a dedictated coffee drinker, you can't go wrong with this purchase!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 17, 2006
I was introduced to this coffee maker about 6 months ago when I spent five days at a lake house in Texas with ten of my gal pals to celebrate my birthday. Each morning we had the thrill of going through the many selections of K-Cups and picking out the perfect one to suit our individual needs for that morning! Everyone got exactly what they wanted - in about 40 seconds. No mess, no fuss, no leftovers to toss away.

After doing some more research into the variety of "single cup" brewing systems I realized that this really is THE ONE TO HAVE. Unlike the Tassimo brewing system, Keurig offers you a variety of gourmet coffee & tea manufacturers to choose from. Don't forget to order the K-Cup Reusable Coffee filter so that you can use your own coffee grounds - yet another option that Keurig offers. Variety is the spice of life so stock up on your favorite herbals teas & flavored coffees and remember to order the Spinning Carousel to hold your choices (27 slots) for easy viewing! There are many websites to choose from that sell these K-cups. Amazon has a decent variety but they're not always available.

We've had so many friends pop in at a moments notice and instead of hurrying to brew a pot of coffee we just direct them to the K-cups and let them choose for themselves. No more making a pot of decaf and then a regular pot to please everyone!

A great feature is that you can set a timer to have the system turn on so when you get up in the morning you have hot water ready to go and then set the timer to turn the machine off at another desired time. Keurig suggests leaving the system on all the time but I think it's unnecessary especially if you're only morning coffee drinkers like us! It only takes about 4 minutes for the water to heat up so if you can't wait that long you've got issues that need to be addressed with a professional.

Get this for your own household and one as a holiday gift to share with someone else. They'll thank you over and over again!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2006
Before I get started: I've used the Keurig B100 "commercial" coffee maker for over a year where I work. I am pleased with its performance, but price and limited features discouraged me from buying it for home use.

The good news: The B70 makes excellent coffee, many choices with coffee and tea, is very flexible with adjustable brewing temperature, brew size. Water reservoir easy and convenient to fill. Makes an excellent, quick cup of coffee with very little mess. Keurig k-cup coffees are not unreasonable in price and readily available from Amazon.

The not so good news: Very noisy. You can here it pump through-out the house, twice per cup. Small items moved about on my counter. Even though Keurig says this is their quietest brewer, it is considerably louder and vibrates much more than their B100 model.

Update: I contracted Keurig customer service and they suggested the unit be replaced or returned. Amazon replaced the unit promptly, and the replacement is a little quieter. I will keep and use the B70, and enjoy the coffee. If noise is important to you, I would recommend the B100--less flexible, heavier duty, about $50 more, discounted. I rate Keurig customer service above average.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2011
I have both Keurig and Cuisinart K cup machines...

About me... I am an embedded systems design engineer and know about control systems and such.

Food processing products should only use parts ( components ) in the water / control systems - internal to the coffee maker - that are "fit for purpose" as designed to be use with WATER.. as a coffee maker uses water.

I have opened several of my failed Keurig and Cusinart K cup machines and found that they are using an AUTOMOTIVE Market Pneumatic Solenoid Valve made in China.. part number SH-V0829...Google this number if you want to check and see this. It is designed for auto seat cushon inflation and has a built in LEAK RATE of 1CC/Min at 4 PSI for air compresser unloading used in seat cushon inflation systems. It is NOT WATER PROOF and DRIPS inside the coffee makers in the transformer and the air pump near the bottom getting the electric motor wet and make it smoke.. My coffee maker was way too young to smoke .. hahha just a joke..

The folk that make this coffee maker IN CHINA think most folk are too stupid to find out about their use of cheep and unfit for purpose components inside their coffee maker. I have attached a DOOR and Hinge on the back of one of my coffee makers that I keep repaired personally.. and buy the replacement control solenoids on ebay to keep my coffee maker working.... THIS SUCKS..... I was ripped off...

I did not pay for a rusty solenoid that leaks water inside my $250.00 coffee machine. When I call Keurig... they do talk some but avoid the topic of this solenoid.. just reading a standard reply statement... When I talk to Cuisinart.. they have nothing to say but want my $10 for shipping a replacement unit... also with the same defective solenoid inside of the same type and part number...

I want to like my coffee maker.... but I do not like being treated like a fool ...

My old Mr Coffee has very nice insides... good design.. and lasted a long time... I am wanting to see Mr Coffee make a K cup that I would like... Cuisinart and Keurig are only about making money .. and not delivering INTERNAL quality of their product with this machine.. They come from the SAME China factory...and they are made using non water proof - no O ring - air only - pneumatic solenoid valves... The part numbers are on the side of the solenoid if you care to open up your machine and look... Do not have it plugged in if you do.. safety first..

I hope you like having RUSTY water in your hot water for making tea and coffee.... the solenoid does rust internally as it is only for air usage...not made for water exposure...

I have photos and also plan to use this experince in a control system class I teach at a University as an example of poor ethics in business manufacturing...

I need not say how MAD I am over this discovery .....and the lack of interest from the folks that make this product..

Barnum and Bailey.. a sucker is born every minute... that must be their motto..

I must be a sucker... THAT SUCKS
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2010
I'm on my 2nd Keurig B70 unit in 2 months. Same problem as everyone else. After two weeks of flawless use it sounds like it is pumping water but no water is drawn. It then just turns off. Each unit was less than a month old when it started doing this after each brew. My wife bought it for me for a B-day gift in Nov. 2009.

UPDATE!!--I just got off the phone with Amazon cust. service and was informed that they will not be sending a 3rd unit to replace but giving us a refund instead. I asked why and was told that they have been having many "issues" with this unit and will not longer be carrying it. If that doesn't say VOLUMES about this product i don't what does! Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this unit, find one that works!!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...