Keurig B60 does not pump water into heating tank

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 274 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2010 10:02:09 AM PDT
P. Totman says:
Yes, Yes, Yes, call Keurig. I just called to have my third B70 replaced, again brews intermittantly and then just QUITS. Very frustrating especially when you call and the operator tries to blame it on the customer because you are not using bottled water. I have one at work that has worked for a year - only one brewing issue that was corrected when the brewer was left off overnight. Keurig is good about replacing but this time they said I might have to use bottled water since I have had the same issue twice!!!!! Very annoying since no other appliance in my house suffers scale buildup!!! I would advise everyone to call CS and get a replacement - no matter how many replacements you have to go through - Keurig needs to come clean with this issue and replace everyone's machine unless they just can't figure it out. I do so love the concept and the coffee.

Posted on May 5, 2010 6:39:08 PM PDT
M. Feldman says:
Just called customer service and they said the problem has been identified and fixed - a faulty valve. They are sending me a new one and are only asking for me to send the pricker part as proof of ownership.

Posted on May 5, 2010 7:32:39 PM PDT
I am on my 4th coffee maker since I bought the first one in December. Can you believe that? The 3rd one lasted about 2 months before it quit. It started making a half cup and pumping the rest of the water BACK into the resevoir. I have NO FAITH in them anymore. I have my doubts that this newest one will not last long.

Posted on May 11, 2010 8:01:00 AM PDT
Marles Kody says:
This is my third unit. I took the first two back to the store because they wouldn't fill the reservoir consistently. I now have a B60 special edition, but it does the same thing. You have to bang on it or shake it to get it to work half the time. Very dissapointing becaues it's clear the Keurig didn't do an adequqate job of reliability testing. Now they are loosing money on all the warranty returns and pissing off customers.

Posted on May 14, 2010 6:29:13 PM PDT
LCS says:
I have the same issue with a B70. I've only had it for 3 months. This is my third unit. My first one started giving the wrong amount of water after two years. It was overflowing cups and also sometimes giving very little water. At that point I just decided to buy a new one. Then the new one after two months started giving less water than it should and I took it back to where I bought it and got a replacement. Now the replacement one intermittently started not sucking water and and shutting itself off. I tried different things to get it to work, but the only thing that seemed to help is if I turned if off for a while (sometimes I had to shut if off over night). Then I just started shutting it off overnight anyway to make sure it would work in the morning. My wife were so frustrated we finally decided call Keurig support. They had me remove the water holder and then put it back down and push down on it. The only problem was that the coffee maker was working when we called, and we were told that unless the issue is happening when we call, they can't help us (that is, they can't replace the unit). After getting even more frustrated with the support person about that, we asked to talk to a manager, and he told us there is no problem with the units, and again, unless the problem is occurring when we call, they can't help us. After getting really upset, and explaining that we would not be calling for no reason, and that we were never going to buy another Keurig again and we were also going to let everyone know about these issues, he finally agreed to send us a new unit. We'll see how long the new one will keep working without issues. If we have issue with the, yet again, replacement unit, I'm going back to making drip coffee. The coffee per cup is much less expensive and just as good, and the coffee maker will just work for years with no issues.

Posted on May 23, 2010 9:06:25 AM PDT
J. Liu says:
Hi,

I just spent the morning trying to resolve this issue and wanted to report that I called Keurig's Customer Service (on a Sunday!) and the rep successfully fixed the problem for me. Before calling, I had pored through other boards and tried the reset steps (pressing the various buttons in a sequence, etc) but that had not worked for me. When I spoke to the rep. She had me take off the reservoir first, THEN turn on the machine, and then place the reservoir back in (front to back). It worked like a charm. (Thank goodness too, because I am outside the warranty period.)

I hope this simple fix helps others.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2010 2:41:42 PM PDT
Yup, I went through the same routine when I clled Customer Service yesterday. Worked great for the rest of the day, but doing the same thing today. Of course, it works fine again after going through those "reset" steps, but did I really buy this SPECIAL EDITION to have to go through this every day????

When I calm down, I'll call Customer Service again and see what they say. I am very much within the warranty period and on my second brewer!

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 10:45:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 5:43:03 PM PDT
After working very well for almost 6 months, my beloved B60 SE has started to have the issue where it brews inconsistent, small cups of coffee and occasionally shuts off when trying to add water. This brewer was purchased from Keurig's website and was a Christmas gift.

I tried to descale it even though I only use bottled water in it and the "descale" message never came on. It was very frustrating trying to get the vinegar in and then purge the unit with water due to the very small amount of water/vinegar used per brew cycle (It varied between 4.5 and 7 fl oz per brew, using the large cup cycle). The unit pumps almost as much water back into the reservoir through the small tube at the back, during a brew cycle as what winds up in the cup.

I called Keurig today, they were very nice and offered to replace the brewer and only asked that I send them the K-cup holder and to throw the rest away. The rep then told me that the units were currently unavailable and that my new brewer would ship in about 2 weeks. After reading about all the trouble people have had, I hope the delay means that they are waiting on new/updated units that won't have this problem anymore.

I'll update this post when it arrives.

UPDATE 6-15-10: I'm not sure what happened to two weeks but my new brewer arrived today! It seems to be working perfectly and Keurig sent me 3 free boxes of K-cups for my trouble (2 large boxes and a sample pack). The new brewer does seem to be different than my old one. It seems to be quieter and pumps water quite a bit faster. The small rubber tube at the top/rear of the water reservoir is almost twice the size of the old one and there are some very minor changes to the K-cup holder.

I hope the new one works for a long, long time but if it doesn't... the books says that a replacement brewer gets the same warranty as a new one so I'll call for another one if it croaks.

UPDATE 8-19-10: New brewer is still going strong with fairly good use (2-6 cups a day). Never did get around to sending in the original K-cup holder. (I dropped it in a drawer and forgot about it). Keurig hasn't ask for it back again...

-Greg

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 12:19:36 PM PDT
J. Liu says:
FYI, Update on my earlier post . . .

The day after speaking to customer service, my brewer died for good and I spoke to another rep who offered to replace the unit (I had to send them the K-cup holder, but they dispatched the new unit first). Received the new unit by Fed Ex ground in a couple days. Excellent customer service (I was outside the warranty period). The only thing to note is that the new machine's water flow is faster and thus when using a My K-Cup insert (pack your own grounds), it leaks but I was able to fix that after reading about putting a rubber band right below the insert lid (makes the seal tighter when you close the compartment.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 10:34:40 AM PDT
Since I set my auto on/auto off feature, I don't have any problems. Not sure why, but it's worth a try for everybody. I was getting partial cups and the shutting off on it's own thing.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 10:46:58 AM PDT
D. Staggs says:
I never got partial cups. The maker either worked or not. It has been working without fail for 4 months. See the edits on the original post.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 11:34:20 AM PDT
Neecy G says:
I found a workaround that worked for mine - here's the info.l

After a brief investigations found out that this is a design problem for all the newer Keurings like B60, B70, B77, Keuring factory after a lot of complains of a noisy refill pump this is the pump which pressed water from reservoir tank into the brewer. (Please to mixed it with the second pump that presses the hot water through the K-cup this is a different one).
In the place of that pump now they are using a small DC motor and impeller pump, which is much quieter however the new design just won't work.
It seems that we have air that gets into the system and the new pump isn't strong enough just to SELF-PRIME with this way. With this way the motor still runs, runs, runs but water is not going through it and finally it turns itself OFF in order not burn out. Normally it should take only few second to refill the brewer tank.

There were many options that the problem was due to the check valve located in the base of the unit just below the reservoir seats itself. However actually this small new pump cannot press hard enough to open the check valve so the water can easily flow. If there is air in the system or slightly scale this make it harder.

I have found out that that the problem occurs only just a few weeks after we use a brand new machine.
So one very good way to solve the problem is to turn the machine on and lift the water reservoir up just a couple of inches and then jam it back in place fast and hard. With this way is like it injects just enough pressure into the system to open the check valve and when the motor pump will run you will realize that immediately water will passing through from reservoir to brewer tank. This procedure has to be done often between cups.

From what we seen in internet their hundreds about the same problem but we have not see any serious response about it From Keurings customer service yet.
One other important and related problem frequently reported is the irregulars doses of coffee like HALF-FILLED CUPS of coffee e.t.a

This must be redesign from Keuring factory since there is not much we can do about it to solve once for all even if they will replace your machine with a new one you will have the same problem in few weeks. And definitely this not a problem due your Electricity in your area or due to hard water. However hard water areas will face bigger and more intensive the above problem so one more suggestion is to decaling the machine every week this will help a lot.

http://www.fixya.com/support/r5543433-keuring_coffee_maker_b60_b70

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 10:47:19 PM PDT
bearsybear says:
I appreciate the update. So many times I wonder what ever happened, lol. I just got mine replaced by Keurig a week ago, and they even upgraded my machine to the Platnium. Was not expecting that. This is my 3rd machine, so I hope that 3's a charm.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 4:35:05 PM PDT
Ryan Herring says:
I've had my b60 for a year and it has worked great..until last week when it failed to pump. "So one very good way to solve the problem is to turn the machine on and lift the water reservoir up just a couple of inches and then jam it back in place fast and hard." THIS WORKED!! Added some vinegar to the tank and knocked the tar out of it. Works now. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 3:33:51 AM PDT
D. Staggs says:
Mine has been working too until last week. Full moon? No, I took it on vacation so it rode 7 hours on its side. Finally got it working correctly after doing what you did. I'll never remove the reservoir or lay it on its side again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 7:35:56 AM PST
Signman45 says:
I am on my second Keurig and it stopped working today. I called Keurig and they are sending me another one for free. I did all their troubleshooting while online with the tech. No luck, hence the replacement.

After I got off the phone I searched for answers online and found this information:

Turn the unit off! Remove the resevoir. Put a papertowel over the hole that the resevoir sits in. Put a cup under the closed lid with no K-Cup in the unit. Use a can of compressed air (like you use to dust off a computer keyboard) and place the plastic tube in the water overflow vent at the top of the unit (little clear soft plastic vent). Blast the air in the vent for a few seconds. At first some water will come out the hole in the bottom of the resevoir tray, then water will start to come out of the K-Cup holder. Plug in and replace the resevoir and push the brew button. If you don't get a full cup repeat the process.

It took me two tries, but mine now works perfectly. I will store the unit that Keurig is sending me for a time that mine really dies for good.

Good luck

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 1:14:40 AM PST
I hate to say this but I can usually get mine to start working again if i wail on it a bit. Worked for my blackberry storm so why not the coffee maker? Either way, i just bought it from the store i work at and my problem started within a day of my installing the carbon filter assembly. Also, removing the filter assembly sometimes alleviates the issue tho some jostling of the machine is occasionally needed. It seems to me that the pump may just not be sufficiently well-designed to handle repeated daily use (at least 3 times a day)

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 6:32:36 AM PST
I purchased the B60 in May. After about one month it stopped pullling water into the tank. I called customer service and after attempting a fix by them it still was having the same problem. They replaced it. It too started having a problem. This was replaced again in October. Mirabile dictu, the newest one started to have the same problem. The fix suggested by tech support only worked for one day. I am at my wits end. I'm glad to hear this is not just my problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 10:43:04 AM PST
Signman45 says:
I am on my 2nd unit. The first one stopped pumping. I went through all the steps with customer service and nada! They sent a new unit. It worked for 6 months, then same problem. Went through the troubleshooting steps with customer service and they sent another unit. While waiting for it too arrive, I tried an idea I saw on the internet. I got the can of "Canned Air" I use to clean my computer and, using the tiny tube, I sprayed the air into the vent tube at the top of the water reservoir. BINGO! Debris came out of the basket and into the container I place under the basket. The unit worked for a couple of days and stopped. I sprayed the air and got more debris. It has been working ever since and I have the replacement unit in the closet waiting to be used when this fix stops working.

Hope this idea works for you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 6:40:01 PM PST
They might charge you for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2011 10:00:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2011 10:01:14 AM PST
bcpurshe says:
This worked for me.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 8:56:44 AM PST
Martina says:
Bummer reading all these comments. I love my Keurig, but today I got up to make coffee as usual, and....drip...drip....drip.....it never would brew a full cup - not even a 1/4 cup. I emptied the reservoir and started over - several times. I unplugged and restarted several times. I could not get it to brew one single cup. On a Sunday morning at 8 am is the worst time to have your coffee maker malfunction. I packed it up and took it back to Sams Club at 9am....they don't open until 10, but I think they could see the look of desparation on my face. I had my receipt and was giving an exchange. The only thing is, I bought the malfunctioned one in Oct 2010, and in this new one, box the same, etc, etc, there was no "filter" that fits in the reservoir. I'm assuming that it was phased out, but if anyone knows, please share the info.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 10:05:53 AM PST
P. Totman says:
My sympathies Martina - I am on my 4th B70 Platinum Keurig - the first lasted 4 mos, second and third 8 mos, despite descaling every 2 mos. The last one failed "overnight" as in one day it works the next day it does not work. I called support and again was sent a new machine, send them back the K-Cup holder, same old drill. I have a B70 in my office that actually worked for 20 months and it also failed but is out of warranty. I am looking into the single serve Mr. Coffee that you fill with water (no water tank) - Has anyone had any experience with them????? I am not married to the maker but do love the coffees, to be able to have any different flavor I want is wonderful so would change brewers if it would take K-Cups and is reliable. The customer service is great but I just can't figure out WHY everyone doesn't have the same issue. Why do only some units fail - obviously all the units don't fail or so would the company. Has anyone taken apart a unit to see what makes it tick???? I've decided to stick until my last unit fails out of warranty - I expect it will happen.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 10:57:45 AM PST
D. Staggs says:
I saw the Mr Coffee the other day and believe it is made by Keurig. As for the B60 and 70 I recommend not ever removing the water tank, as that allows water to get in the line and disrupting the vacuum. I started this post, but have managed to keep my B60 going for 14 months. If you have a pump problem, turn on the machine, fill the reservoir 3/4 full, pick it up an inch or two and slam it down into place, if water is not transfered, try it until it does. Works for me and others. From my experience if you do not remove the reservoir you should rarely have a problem. Pumps make them tick. The pumps job is to transfer liquid. Air is the enemy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 2:49:07 PM PST
P. Totman says:
Our local Wal Mart has the Mr. Coffee in stock - the one that uses K-Cups and I opened the box to look through the directions - said the mfg. was Sunbeam and if there were issues to contact them not where you purchased. So I am sure it is Keurig technology - drawbacks are you must fill each time and it only makes 8 oz. But if it works better - I also do not remove the water tank to fill, however, have removed it when I descale - maybe that is an issue - the last problem - no water will pump through - even slamming the tank back on. Also blew air into the white tubes at the top of the tank - water runs out from the white tubes (they are double now - used to be single) and from where the K-Cups go. Can you people tell I am totally OBSESSED!!! and STRESSED!!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  143
Total posts:  274
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2010
Latest post:  13 days ago

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Keurig B60 Special Edition Brewing System
Keurig B60 Special Edition Brewing System by Keurig
3.8 out of 5 stars   (2,282)