Keurig B60 does not pump water into heating tank

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 280 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:01:50 AM PDT
Bonny E. says:
Hi John. See my post above. I am on 3rd replacement and all stop working. I haven't sent any cup holders back either - they don't pay for return and when I said I was going to donate the coffee makers to someone who doesn't mind the constant prime issue, they keep reminding me I have to send the cup holder back. Then I asked if I can buy a cup holder replacement to give with the "new but doesn't work" machine, they said no - they don't sell them. For a company I use to love, I am ready to buy a new coffee maker and call it a day.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:02:43 AM PDT
Bonny E. says:
John, How do I access the charcoal filter?

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:26:36 AM PDT
bearsybear says:
Well, my machine was a replacement machine that the company sent me in August 2010. It's been working OK, sometimes not a full cup, but better than the other two that wouldn't even pump water. Now it won't even put the water in the cup. The pump works, but the distribution of the water going through the Kcup and into my cup is not working. I called the company, and they told me that it was unfixable and that since it's over a year, that it's not under warranty anymore and I"d have to buy a new machine. I guess they're tired of losing money on these and are not covering them anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:27:53 AM PDT
On my model it is inside the reservoir tank. It should be attached to a plastic handle that you can reach out and pull out. I just pulled the entire thing out and it has been running fine ever since. Due to the weak motors, the extra drag from the filter probably causes it to lose suction and eventually burn out the motor (I'm guessing).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 10:07:04 AM PDT
Bonny E. says:
Thanks John. Will try this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 5:32:37 AM PDT
Start brewing, while the pump is going lift the water reservoir up about 1/2" then jam it back down to prime the pump quickly. This forces water into the pump, priming it. Once primed my Keurig keeps going cup after cup, at least until it's had a chance to sit for a few hours, by then it needs to be primed again.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 4:35:28 PM PDT
Bonny E. says:
Thanks Aaron. At the moment I have just jabbed a hole in the filter to see if that will lessen the pull/pressure on the pump. In the meantime, Keurig, in keeping with its impeccable customer service, has decided to not actually address the issue but instead send me a 4th machine. I am going to try the hole in the filter first to see if it works. I don't know if you ever owned an earlier model, but this never happened - not in 2 years. In fact, I never removed the water reservoir. Will update.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 7:13:44 PM PDT
bearsybear says:
Bonny -
I had the older machine, the one with the loud (working) pump. I gave it to my mom. Boy, do I regret that. I never had any trouble with it, I just wanted the new machine, not knowing what a pain the butt it was going to be. My mom uses the older machine several times a day, and has never, ever had any trouble with it. I guess I learned a lesson...newer isn't always better.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 4:55:30 AM PDT
My replacement Keurig often stops working after only two months with the message, "Prime." I unplug it and plug it in again and it starts working. I use Brita filtered water.

Posted on May 4, 2012 8:44:32 PM PDT
Mike F says:
I hope all the Keurig owners are registering their coffee makers at Keurig.com. When you do they send you a code to insert when ordering K-cups. It allows you to buy 2 24 cup boxes of K cups and get 2 free (4 boxes at half price). You can register up to 3 Keurig machines, so you can do this 3 times. Even when it is for replacement machines. I know as I am on my 2nd machine, the 1st kept coming up with the dreaded "Prime" message!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 8:17:20 PM PDT
Christal says:
This worked wonderfully for mine. Mine just kept saying "Brewing", but nothing was happening. It made an initial quick squirt, and then stopped, but just kept saying "brewing". We followed the steps above and blew out the lines and sure 'nuf, we emptied out the line and it started working again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:51:36 AM PDT
Jett456 says:
I looked on youtube and found lots of video help. I tried the paperclip thing but I used a long sewing needle. There is also a Keurgi video on how to clean it properly. I cleaned the water container by using my sink faucet and using high water pressure. I used a brush on the valve inside the reservoir. I ran it through with no k-cup and the water starting pumping through again and its actually hot!!! I also never use tap water so I know it wasn't a scale issue but somehow it got clogged up anyway. I guess I will do this every so often. Keurig is sending me another one (B40) because I called and complained that the coffee was weak and not hot. I do have to send back the original holder.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 7:15:35 PM PDT
lloydnsher says:
My first post in this discussion was in January 2012 when my 3 week old machine started having prime issues. My new b60 (free from kuerig) smelled like plastic but with hot vinager and hot soapy water in the resevoir, that was fixed. Had 1 prime message a month after the new machine was started, and now 6 months later all is still working..I've only removed the resevoir once for cleaning (just in case), and fill it carefully with a water from a pitcher of filtered water. I took my original b60 that had prime messages daily, and drained all water from it. It ran for two weeks with no problems..I think getting air in the water path is causing the prime problem and the many tricks mentioned here (turining upside down, blowing out with straw or compressed air) will eventually work if you have the time to spend on it..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 6:32:45 AM PDT
T. Fischetti says:
The positive comments are from paid by Keurig participants.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:51:14 PM PDT
Andrew says:
Well, add me to the "Prime" list. Had the B60 SE less than 2 months and have the prime issue. Serial Number begins 68.0100. Called Keurig today and my replacement machine is on the way. It sounds like I better make room on my kitchen counter for about 4 of them. Once my new one arrives, I guess the old one is written off since Keurig didn't want it back (except for the K-Cup holder). I'm going to dissect it to see if I can't fix it for good! Customer Service Rep was courteous and friendly and said there was an air bubble in the line. I'm surprised Amazon hasn't pulled this model from their selling list!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 10:05:42 AM PDT
Bonny E. says:
Hey Andrew - welcome to the club. Let me tell you what we did after 4 replacements sent to us - I combined a couple of ideas. First we put a hole in the filter at the bottom to allow water to flow better - after all, I do have good water and no bugs going through that I know of! That didn't work on its own so then we started unplugging it each time it wouldn't prime. Plug it right back in, turn it on and it immediately primes. Now, you cannot set the clock or timer with this (or you will be doing it a lot). Anyway, after doing the unplugging and plugging in for about 8 weeks, it has now been priming correctly without any help from us. No the right thing to do but we've has a little fun playing around with it. We haven't even opened our last replacement - also, we never sent back any K-cup holders. Not worth my money to send back parts of a bad product. Good luck!

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 7:00:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 7:02:27 PM PDT
Andrew says:
Hi, Bonny. I've been doing the "unplug" thing too. I can brew 1 cup in the morning and 1 in the evening, but never 2 or more cups in a row. I was thinking about the "hole-in-the-filter" idea too. Which filter? The metal screen one at the bottom of the removable reservoir tank? Or the black plastic one on the unit itself where the removable reservoir tank lets the water into? I was going to do both! If it is indeed air bubbles, I wonder if it's the air bubbles from the boiling action when the coils heat up the water? That would explain why it primes OK after just plugging it in - the water hasn't heated up yet. I tried tilting my machine to the left a little to keep the air/boiling bubbles away from the water intake from the reservoir, but that didn't seem to work. I got an email from Keurig today saying my new machine is on the way.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 2:03:49 AM PDT
Joe Cook says:
Ever since I used that compressed air to blow out the air bubbles/water at the base of the unit, my machine has been working just fine. I was pretty much going to send it back to Keurig before I tried that last ditch effort. That was back in late March or early April of this year. And so far, haven't received that PRIME message since that time. I'm truly astounded.

I have only removed the reservoir from its base once (to clean it). I only use filtered water, so it should be doing OK. And occasionally I run a cup or two with just water (no K cup in the unit) to get rid of the stray coffee ground or two.

So far it's been working fine now. But given how many others have had issues..just wonder when that next shoe is going to drop tho. Do applaud their customer service. Seems to be quite good. Though it also looks like a lot of people have had to return their units with them, however. Too bad since I really do like the convienience of the K-cups.

Joe

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 12:41:01 PM PDT
Bonny E. says:
The filter at the bottom of the removable reservoir tank is the one I poked a hole in. Good luck!

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 11:01:21 AM PDT
Eric W. Bond says:
Cleaning the needles was genius, @Leslie A Ferris! I was devastated thinking it had already bitten the dust after one month of having it, but cleaning the needles worked!

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:18:50 AM PDT
S. Rehahn says:
I have the B66 SE from 3 or 4 years ago, and I'm stunned to learn that mine has lasted this long after reading these posts. Mine recently started running slowly, i.e. taking 2 to 3 minutes to fill a cup and with no "blow off" afterward, reminding me of a pressure loss. I have called Keurig and they are sending me a new K-cup holder, saying that the way the old holder seals to the K-cup is suspect. (?) Well, who am I to argue, when something is free I'll try it. But I have my doubts. I've de-scaled when needed (never had the warning) and religiously clean the needles, but this thing is now running slower than the personal unit I have up north, which is supposed to take twice as long. I really love the unit and the coffee it produces, so I expect I'll buy a new one when this one does indeed go.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:59:21 AM PDT
We have had the B66 for two and a half years and have always used distilled water to brew our coffee, hot chocolate and tea. In the last couple months the unit had slowed down perceptibly, both during the heating cycle and the brewing cycle. In fact during the heating cycle, it would cut off and have to be turned back on to complete heating. Brewing took at least five times longer than when the machine was new. The fix: we filled the reservoir with white vinegar and brewed several times on the large cup setting. This process dissolved the calcium deposits that built up on the inside of the machine. Now the old performance is back. Be sure to brew at least a gallon of distilled water through the machine after the vinegar treatment to purge the vinegar, or your coffee will be nauseating.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 8:39:43 AM PDT
bearsybear says:
I'm a little confused on your post. Here are some facts about tap and distilled water.

DISTILLED water is used in home appliances (such as steam irons or coffee pots) because the water does not leave behind lime scale. When water is distilled, it is heated to boiling and the steam is collected in a condenser. The condenser is surrounded with cooler water, which cools the steam and turns it back into water. The water condensed from steam during distillation does not contain calcium or salts.

When TAP water is turned to steam or evaporates, the minerals in the water (such as calcium and magnesium) are left behind and can form a film. Over time, these minerals can build up and cause damage to these appliances if they are not cleaned regularly.

If you have to use the vinegar to get the "calcium deposits" out of your machine, then it seems like you have been using tap water, as distilled water has no calcium in it because of the distilling process.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 8:54:17 AM PDT
Bears,
Maybe we slipped up and used the wrong kind of water, or maybe the distilled water we got was not really distilled. Anyway, the vinegar worked like a charm (it was white vinegar, not red vinegar).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 9:29:24 AM PDT
bearsybear says:
Aurelio, it may be a water problem, but I'm sad to say that I really don't think so. And it's not anything you did or your fault in any way. I think your machine is at deaths door. I'm only saying this because I'm on my 4th replacement machine in as many years and each time the machines died a little differently. They can die suddenly or slowly. The ones that die slowly are the most frustrating, because you go through the process of descaling, blowing extra air in the vent, unplugging it for a few minutes to re-set it, not removing the reservoir tank when refilling it, blah blah blah. I've had these machines for years in the past, and gave my Mom my old "loud" machine (that, to this day, still works great), so I could upgrade to a better machine. My plan didn't work, as these upgraded models have a fatal flaw.

In this quiet, newer model, the "quiet" pump overheats rendering it useless.

When (not if) your machine dies, or you just get tired of trying to get it to work correctly, you can take it to Bed Bath & Beyond with no box or receipt, and they will exchange it for you for free. They know these machines are defective. They send it back to Keurig as defective, so they are not losing any money. As soon as my machine shows any sign of trouble, I head right to Bed Bath Beyond because I"m sick of trying to get it to work when I know the eventual outcome. You don't need to try to go through Keurig because they'll tell you you're out of warranty anyway.

Even with the problems, I still love the concept of these machines and will always have a Keurig in my home.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  147
Total posts:  280
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2010
Latest post:  11 days ago

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Keurig B60 Special Edition Brewing System
Keurig B60 Special Edition Brewing System by Keurig
3.8 out of 5 stars   (2,304)