5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners
Published on September 5, 2011 by Princess

I bought this book to get more "into wine". My background is in engineering, data analysis, beer, homebrewing (and home wine/cider making) and beer judging - so please take what I am going to write with that perspective.

Published 11 months ago by Amanda

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
My husband and I are just getting "into wines". This book is EXCELLENT! Not only does it explain the classifications of wine, but it puts the information into understandable terms. We first used it as a reference but now read it because it is informative and written so well. Now instead of bringing a bottle of wine to our dinner party hostess, we bring a copy of this book - price is about the same. And we get it quickly through Amazon prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same info as Windows on the World Complete Wine Course, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
As best as I can tell, this book is identical to Kevin Zraly's Windows on the World Complete Wine Course in regards to text, illustrations, maps, and pagination.

However, the softcover Windows on the World Complete Wine Course book has a series of smartphone tags/tiny URLs throughout it that help the reader with pronunciations, and a series of instruction videos (which I could not find and so could not view).

The binding of the paperback seems a bit flimsy: it is the standard so-call "perfect binding" common to all paperbacks, but the paper is is very good quality (as good as the hardcover) and makes me doubtful of how long the binding would hold up under use.

This book is among the best I have seen for an introduction to wine. The content seems accurate and is very detailed and there are small quizzes at the end of each chapter to test/reinforce the knowledge gained from the reading.

Of the dozen or so books on wine I have purchased recently, I would rate this as one of the top two (the other being the much more inclusive and more expensive Exploring Wine by Koplan, et al).

If you're looking for a comprehensive introduction to wine that will inform without inundating you with TMI, this is the book I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Wine Guide for Beginners, May 22, 2012
James M. Weiss (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
Just picked this book up yesterday and was blown away by how simple and informative this book was - I've never seen another wine book that starts from such a basic level without being condescending while giving an overview of wines around the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MASTER'S HANDBOOK, July 31, 2012
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
Kevin Zraly is lauded as a master sommelier for good reason. He knows about as much about wine as there is to know. I've bought several editions of this book as they came out an have never been disappointed. Each new edition has something new and exciting. The book is interesting, entertaining and full of useful information for anyone who really wants to know about wine. I loved learning about the different geographical areas, what terroir does to grapes and as a result, can pretty much tell whether a wine from a certain area will be something I'd like or not. I've tried enough "samples" to prove it. I often donate a "wine basket" to charities for raffles and always include a copy of this book as part of the prize.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Recommended, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
I recently started work at a restaurant with two Certified Sommeliers on staff. I decided to increase my value as an employee and for future jobs to start working toward that status. I asked both of them what should I do to prep for the Level 1 course and test. They both recommended this book. It's a great read and explains the world of wine in a complete yet still concise way.

The tasting guides will be invaluable in the future and the review at the end of each lesson truly helps with test prep. Highly recommended as a book to keep on the shelf for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful tool, July 11, 2013
Chris Bender (Hayward, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
I am using this studying for Sommelier exam. It reads very much like a textbook and covers a wide range of regions and wines. Very French-centric, which is perfect for my personal needs. If you are looking for something to go a little more in depth in certain wine regions (i.e. South America, South Africa) probably not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wine/101, April 29, 2013
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
We are using this as a text book in our Wine shop. Easy to read, easy to follow.

No matter how much you think you know, this book will teach you something.

P.S.
Kevin Zraly, enough said.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overview, a bit shallow in places..., April 8, 2013
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
Covers with broad strokes the must-know aspects of wine and wine regions. however, if you're looking for detail, this book may not satisfy you. For instance, only 2 pages are given for port wine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good pictures - but littered with errors and inconsistencies., July 17, 2013

Reading through this book feels like the author is well versed in wine but has not bothered to learn any new information related to the field in quite a few years (despite it being updated in 2011). You will learn more about older wine styles from Italy, Spain, France and California Cabs/Pinot Noir but won't learn to much about the differences between a Australian Malbec and a Chilean Syrah/Shiraz. Also, the vintages that are noted in the book stop at 2009 - a bit outdated for 2013.

My biggest problem with this book is the factual accuracy. Within the first few pages, the author claims that alcohol is denser than water. Seriously? This absolutely false statement caused me to treat the book as not really a way to learn facts about wine, but really just learn "one man's truth" about wine. The book is also littered with inconsistent data. For example, the front chapters say that Italy is the largest importer of wines to the US. In the last chapters, he claims that France is the biggest importer. Now, are these large issues? No, not on their own, but it makes me call into question the validity of the rest of the information presented.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course (Hardcover)
i recieved this book as a Christmas present and i love it! It's taught me a lot about different countries and regions and the wine/grapes they produce.
A good read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course
Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course by Kevin Zraly (Hardcover - September 6, 2011)
Used & New from: $9.90