Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on August 13, 2013
I am writing this review just to help any ladies out there who are confused on which shade to get. Obviously I can only comment on my skin tone shade. I ordered the SX07 thinking it would be perfect for me since someone suggested it (Bad mistake!!!). I then ordered the SX08 and the SX10.

Here are some numbers for references :

I am an nc25/nc30 in MAC studio fix foundation. I am a 123 and 125 in MAKEUP FOREVER foundation. I would say my skin tone is medium and a very light tan, light olive. SX10 is the PERFECT skin tone for medium beige skin tones. Don't bother with SX07 or anything lower than that, otherwise you will just have to return it. Any other questions please comment me :) Hope this helps.
1616 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2007
This is a concentrated multi-use product that is so well matched to my skin! I use the 03 which is fair w/beige undertone. Prior to using this product, you should prep your face with a good moisturizer. It is best to use brushes with this product - so if you use as a concealer, a small concealer brush is best (especially for the under eye area). You can also use as a highlighter, and of course as a foundation, controlling the opacity with the amount you use (I use a foundation brush, rather than a sponge). Wonderful product. You may think it is expensive, but when you realize that a little does go a long way, it is priced fairly.
on June 1, 2015
Because no one's done it, buy SX 12 if you wear any of the below foundations. SX 12 is very yellow, and I've mixed it with SX 13 to tone the yellow down a little bit, and make it a bit darker. SX 13 is for sure too dark if you wear the below shades. I never tried SX 11 but it seems like it's more suitable for MAC N 42 type shade, and maybe for a highlighter if you have SX 13 skin.

Also, DUH it's super pigmented. Either use a small amount and blend it out, or mix it with another foundation / moisturizer. If you don't do this you'll hate it. It definitely isn't something to put on if you don't have 5 - 10 minutes to perfect the coverage and blending.

SX 12 is similar to...
Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse: Dark 0 Toffee
CLINIQUE: 20 Deep Neutral
BOBBI BROWN: Honey
on October 2, 2013
After being convinced by some tutorials that I NEED this product to be a complete human being, I gave in and schlepped to Barneys to get matched (which I highly suggest doing).

As soon as the sales associate stippled the product on my blotchy, semi-acne ridden face, not purchasing this product would have been a sin (seriously, Hell would have opened right up and swallowed me whole [pretty face and all]). This stuff is damn incredible - my zits and blemishes were barely noticeable and I was left with a smooth, velvety matte finish.

Also, as others have mentioned - it takes the smallest amount (talking size of a grain of rice, people) for complete coverage. I will either mix a little tiny bit with the foundation I was using prior (Makeup Forever's Mat Velvet +) or a little dab of primer on the back of my hand, and then slap it onto my face with a stippling brush or Beauty Blender.

I also use as a concealer when I don't feel like full coverage. Very versatile product!

The price may be a bit high, but this stuff is going to last you a while. I'm actually concerned that it's going to go bad before I can finish it.

Well worth it!
on December 7, 2010
Being "pasty white", I have a very difficult time matching foundation and concealer to my skin. It's so difficult, in fact, I have tried just about every label under the sun! I usually opt for the lightest shade available (most turning out to be too pink or too yellow in undertone), hoping for the best and this is the first time I've actually felt like a product was MADE FOR ME (I use the SX 01).

For heavy coverage and a finished look, I use a small concealer brush. On lighter days when I want a more natural appearance, I dab a bit on in my problem areas with my fingertips. Moisturizer truly is a MUST prior to using this product, especially if used as an all-over foundation. Without, product is left streaky, dry and is absorbed unevenly. Personally, I use this product as more of a concealer on a regular basis. For the longest time I was using different products all over my face: Bobbi Brown Touch Up Stick on blemishes and uneven patches, YSL Touch Eclat around my eyes and whichever foundation was matching best for a particular season...NO MORE! The Sensual Skin Enhancer works WONDERS on the dark circles under my eyes. Nothing has ever made my eye area so bright and even in pigmentation!

I've found the Sensual Skin Enhancer to be so awesome that I rarely use my Kevyn Aucoin Air Brush foundation. Don't be fooled by thet "trial size" appearance, a little bit truly does go a long way. I've had this small jar longer than any bottle of foundation and it's much more travel-friendly.

For online shoppers who cannot test this product at a makeup counter, I would suggest checking out the manufacturer's website for a better idea of which color to choose based on the undertones of your skin.

With the SX 01 shade, for me, I found that it is quite comparable to the Bobbi Brown Touch up Stick in Alabaster (except you can use The Sensual Skin Enhancer around your EYES).

As long as this product is made, I will NOT use anything else anymore. I recommend it to all of my friends & family!!!
on April 26, 2013
After reading other reviews I had to try it, and I have to say I love it. The fact that only a dab goes a long way and the coverage is unbelievable makes the price very justify able. It is thick and takes a few times of use to get the hang of it, but a dampened pro blender puff sponge ( also bought on amazon) works very well in evenly smoothing it out.
I'm in my late 40's with a few age spots and sun damage and I could never find anything that covered it with out that caked on look until I bought this. Doesn't feel heavy on either, which for me is very much a plus. I have found my new best friend!
on March 10, 2015
This is a wonderful base! I was a little worried that it might not work well for me because I am older, and most base makeups settle into any lines or wrinkles I have making me look older and certainly not better!
However, I applied it using the BeautyBlender (a type of sponge applicator that you moisten before use). It worked wonderfully and the coverage is fabulous and it stays right where you put it. It did not settle into my lines at all! It really makes your skin look luminous. It was well worth the price.
I do recommend using a moistened applicator sponge to make sure it spreads out on your skin evenly.
I would add that I am a real makeup enthusiast, and I have tried all kinds of makeup, the best brands and at many elevated prices, but this really is the best I've used.
I just added a picture I took today (3-11-15) with this foundation on. I am 70 years old, and I think it looks quite nice.
review image
on August 1, 2013
This stuff is really effective and provides great coverage for spots and uneven tone. The name is misleading - this is NOT a foundation in the traditional sense of the word. It's very thick (basically a wax) which means it goes on totally matte and just sits there. In fact, I probably wouldn't put it all over my face as it's just too "flattening" to the skin tone.

Advice for application - (1) wash your hands first to avoid getting dirt in the pot, (2) dab a TINY bit into the lid, (3), warm it up by rubbing your fingers together, (4) tap it onto your skin and tap to blend.

I'm not sure how the shades work for other skin tones, but I have fair/medium skin with truly neutral (beige) undertones and this is pretty close to non-tanned me.
on August 17, 2012
This is a little pot of magic!! I just used it for the first time and am astounded by the results! You only need the tiniest bit to achieve full coverage if using it as a foundation. I used a foundation brush to apply and it was a little hard to apply but I buffed it into my skin and it worked very well! I heard using a moist makeup sponge works well too! Since I have oily skin, I am worried that the mineral oil in the product will contribute to that by the end of the day, but so far so good and its been on my face for 4 hours! It feels like I have no makeup on and this is the best my skin has ever looked!!! I absolutely LOVE this stuff!!!
on March 11, 2015
This foundation is fabulous. The key to using it is to use a moistened beauty sponge, like BeautyBlender to apply it. You will only need a small amount. Blend it carefully over your skin and make it as sheer as possible with a little more on dark areas or other flaws you want to conceal. I do not use it under my eyes because I am 70 years old and it might cake up in the wrinkly areas.
However, that is one of the reasons I am pleased with this foundation. Since I do have lines and wrinkles (not a huge amount, but I am 70 after all!), all the other foundations I have used seem to drift into the lines and wrinkles making them look worse and not better, so all I have been using is Bare Minerals powder, which isn't ideal in my opinion. This foundation stays put. It does not flow into the wrinkles and it gives you a glowing look.