Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on August 21, 2012
For those that don't know, Viberia is the musical utopian atmosphere indigenous to Jneiro Jarel,as described by the man himself. This effort from DOOM and Jniero is dripping with substance from the eccentric beats to the encrypted word play of Daniel Dumile. The whole project (in my opinion) is extremely reminicent of the Madvillainy album as I can draw many similarities in Madlib and Jniero's styles; the samples, the breaks, dropping in dialouge from random places to further help explain the song. To those familiar with Jniero Jarel, some of the production resembles his work from his early album "Timeless".

Now on to DOOM... the man just seems to get better with age (it's a shame more rappers don't). I find it very fun and refreshing to decipher many of his metaphors and use of homonyns here. If his lyrics go over your head, it's okay. That only means there's something deeper there that you haven't quite caught wind of yet, but that is the beauty of good lyricism, it challenges you to listen more closely, and DOOM does that better than almost anybody. "Retarted Fren" & "GMO" are my favorites so far. And "Wash Your Hands" is such a hilarious track, like DOOM is somewhat taking time out to make you laugh but at the same time telling the truth somewhat like he did on "Batty Boyz" from the Born Like This album. Great material.

In conclusion, I can see this eventually becoming one of my favorite DOOM albums next to Madvillainy and one of my favorite Jniero Jarel albums next to Craft Of The Lost Art. Jniero is a gifted and diverse producer who literally brings his world of Viberia to the humorously diabolic lyrical tyranny of MF DOOM. The only drawback I saw is that it could have been longer but nonetheless great work by both men, do not pass on this one.

on September 13, 2012
this is the latest DOOM collaboration project where he rhymes over a featured producer's tracks. many people are saying that this album is the new "Madvillainy". i disagree with that proclamation but i do think its better than "Venomous Villain" and actually closer to say "Vaudeville Villian". DOOM is reliably superb behind the mic. Jneiro Jarel provides beats i would best describe as hit and miss. this would not be the album i would present to someone new to DOOM, but for longtime fans this album will satisfy until we can get a proper MF LP (DOOM beats + rhymes). beats 3/5, rhymes 4.5/5. this felt like a 3.5/5 album on the first listen, but would give it a 4/5 today. favorite tracks: Guv'nor, GMO, Wash Your Hands.
on September 9, 2012
its been a while since ive been really impressed with doom but 'Key to the kuffs' is dope, these two artists make a good combination, i love how the 1 MC 1 producer formula is creepin its way back into hip hop i.e. apollo brown & OC - Trophies and Killer Mikes R.A.P Music. the amount of dope hip hop albums coming out these past two years has been ridiculous, long may it continue.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2012
An audacious venture into abstract and experimental territory, that does not disappoint. I found this album to be very refreshing and very different, yet still completely accessible; not an easy feat. Jneiro Jarel and DOOM have a winner! If this is your first introduction to either artist, I highly recommend checking out their previous work. :-)

Just a side note to C. Thomas's review... every track on this album, including "Rhymin' Slang", was produced by Jneiro Jarel. Dave Sitek produced a remix of this track, which appeared on Lex Records' Complex Vol. 1 compilation, along with the Thom Yorke/Johnny Greenwood version of "Retarded Fren".
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
Because of the high standards set by Madvillainy and The Mouse and The Mask, there were more than a few people disappointed by this effort from Jneiro Jarel and DOOM. But I actually liked the project from start to finish. It's hard to listen to a few of the tracks just once. It's more than enough to hold us over until the new Madvillain cd comes out before year's end.
on August 21, 2012
If you're a fan of prior work by DOOM then you'll likely really dig this. If not, then well, this album won't change your mind. I think it's amazing. Just got it today and I've already listened to it end to end 3 times.
on December 11, 2012
Grrrrreat! Can't get enough of this CD. Favorite track has changed more times than I can count, currently settled on Wash Your Hands.
on December 3, 2012
DOOM proves once again he's one of the most inventive lyricists out there. Who else could manage to work in a rhyme about Eyjafjallajökull, the Icelandic volcano? The beats by Jneiro Jarel are interesting, uptempo, and inventive. Not your typical club knockers, but complex, driving rhythms. This is the sort of album that stands up well to repeated listening. I've laughed out loud more than once as I deciphered a clever lyric, and bopped my head as the richness of a particular beat soaked into my eardrums. If you like JJ and/or DOOM, you'll enjoy this one.
on October 24, 2012
I don't normally write reviews about DOOM albums because each previous album already has a legacy of it's own. But this album isn't getting as much love as I thought it would, so I feel like I need to help spread the good news. This album is amazing, one of the best DOOM albums in my opinion. Now if you rank it among all DOOM albums it's probably the middle of the pack but it's borderline Madvillainy. I like track by track reviews, so let's do that.

1. Waterlogged - I'm not really going to rank an intro track, just a nice track introducing JJ and DOOM.

2. Guv'nor - 5/5 Are you kidding me with this track? This song is so hot, the more you listen to it the better it gets, GUARANTEED. One of the greatest DOOM songs I've heard in awhile, kind of a throwback sound here.

3. Banished - 4/5 I'm not sure I've ever heard DOOM try to rap so quickly, some how he's off beat but on beat, you know what I mean. It's already hard enough deciphering slow DOOM, this is a rubix cube of lyrics. And Guv'nor flows nicely into this song, great transition.

4. Bite The Thong - 4/5 I love the instrumentals on this track, reminds me of something on a Viktor Vaughn album. Once again this track goes great with the previous 2, this album is flowing nicely.

5. Rhymin Slang - 4/5 Another great fluid transition into this newer sounding DOOM track. DOOM's rhymes on this track are nuts, I'll have to look up the explanation because I have no idea what's happening but it sounds great, and I love the end how everything slows down, sounds cool.

6. Dawg Friendly - 4/5 This is JJ rapping I believe, and although it's great and I like his lyrics I just wish DOOM would've rapped this track because to me the instrumentals sound so DOOM, but that's just me.

7. Borin Convo - 3/5 I'm not really feeling this track compared to the rest. It's not bad but compared to what I've heard so far this track isn't meshing well.

8. Snatch That Dough - I actually like this little filler, sounds like traditional DOOM to me.

9. GMO - 6/5 - Where to start with this track, it's over the top good. I mean you get chills listening to this thing, one of the greatest DOOM tracks ever recorded. Everything about this track screams DOOM. If you're unsure about buying this album this is definitely the reason you should.

10. Bout The Shoes - 3/5 Strange track, I like it, I'm guessing it's just a way of showcasing JJ's production, because there's no DOOM. I guess you could call it a filler but I enjoy it.

11. Winter Blues - 5/5 Back to the DOOM, a great laid back sound on this track. I love the instrumentals here, the only thing I thought DOOM didn't rap long enough on this track, instead he sings for like a minute of the track time.

12. Still Kaps - 3/5 Not sure what this is, it's like an interlude with Khujo Goodie rapping on it. I like the beat and it doesn't bother me being on the album because it's really short.

13. Retarded Fran - 4/5 This to me sounds like a throwback, maybe something you would have heard on an older DOOM album. I like this song a lot.

14. Viberian Sun Part II - 4/5 This song is just an instrumental, maybe JJ trying to showcase his talents a little. I really enjoy listening to this, it's got an off beat other worldly vibe that I feel. But it's not for everyone, but I think it actually fits nicely with the rest of this album.

15. Wash Your Hands - 5/5 I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this song, I love it. First off the instrumentals are great, not something you would typically hear DOOM rapping over but there's just enough DOOM sound to make it work. Now his lyrics are great, you can tell DOOM enjoyed writing this song because he's cracking jokes left and right.

Regardless of what you heard, if you're a DOOM fan you HAVE to buy this album. It's too good to pass up.
on September 6, 2013
I'm sure different people look for different things in a Doom album, but Doom is Doom, so it's more the beat presentation that paints him into a slightly different context each time. I prefer Doom's rhymes way more than his production. King Geedorah was my least favorite album in his discography because the beats were so lo-fi, the song lengths were extended, and it had too many other vocalists. My top albums from him are: Madvillain (one of the greatest rap albums ever recorded, for my tastes), Viktor Vaughn (the 2nd one especially), Dangerdoom, JJ Doom, and DOOM "Born Like This." Mainly this is because I like a strong low end underneath him (not that Born Like This really had a lot of bass or outside production, but more than an MF album at least). The talking samples on some of the interludes here and in other projects can be a bit distracting after the first couple of listens, but the production and flows are on point so hard that it really doesn't matter. I can imagine when he plays live that there are some albums he doesn't draw from often, but it's easy to see that this one will provide 2-3 songs that people will hold out to the bitter end of the show, hoping he plays (if he shows up, and doesn't send a clone). Anyway...just stop reading and get the album; it clearly ranks among some of his strongest work, no question!