Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on April 20, 2011
I bought several Kichler lights and they came with this style of connector. The lights are great, the connectors are worthless.

The problem is the screws and the plastic. The plastic is somewhat flexible and weak. When you try to screw the connector together in order to make a connection, in most cases the plastic threads either strip, or the bottom piece flexes so that the prongs do not pierce the wire. Granted, my wire was pre-existing and somewhat hard, but I used 2 different types of connectors (including the cheap crap Malibu uses) and they both pierced the wire fine.

Of the 10 lights I installed, in 5 cases the connector broke during the install or was never able to make a connection. 2 other cases I had a connection made, and within 2 days the connection was broken. So after a week, I'm at a 30% success rate.
on April 28, 2013
I have had Malibu lights for years. The connectors they provide are good in that they are already connected to the light. But installing them so they made contact with the electric line was always a problem. Even when they did make connection and light, they might lose connection a day or a week later and the lights wouldn't work. The connectors use a clever mechanism to click together that makes it very difficult to get them apart again. Over time I purchased the Malibu replacement connectors, which means cutting the original connectors off the wire from the light and splicing the new connectors on using wire nuts. These were no better. By the end of this winter I only had one or two lights lighting out of eleven.

After searching the Internet I found these connectors. The feedback was variable, but I purchased five to give it a try. While getting everything to connect initially was a challenge, once I had a connection, the lights have stayed lit. After a week I ordered six more of these connectors to replace the rest of the Malibu connectors. Now all my lights are lit.

Here are some tips based on my experience. First, since my lights have been installed for some years, the insulation on the light wires is not as flexible as new wire would be. Second, since the Malibu fixtures connect the wires into separate pieces, the two wires in their insulation were no longer bound together like light wire usually is. This allowed the individual wires to roll in this connector rather sitting for the metal to pierce the insulation. All my problems were on the light wire side. I used 12 gauge wire for the line and had no problems making connection on that side.

Lay the light wires in the fixture. In the most difficult case I trimmed a piece of electrical tape and taped the wires together making sure the electrical tape was not where the connector needed to make contact with the wire. Make sure the wires are even with the outside of the connector. Don't put the large wire in the connector yet. Screw the connector together and take it apart again. You should see two puncture marks where the connector tried to make contact. Using a utility knife, carefully scrape off the insulation at the puncture marks. Now replace the light wire in the fixture and put the line wire in its place. Put the connector back together. Be careful to align the end of the light wire with the outside of the connector. Tighten the screw. In most case you'll see the light come on.

If I had to try a couple times, I also made sure to bend the connector prongs so they were vertical. If they aren't straight, they push the wire instead of piercing it.

It wasn't a fast process to install these connectors, but once they connected, they stayed connected. There had been only a few times that all eleven of our lights were working at the same time when we were using the Malibu connectors. Now they all light every night. I don't mind spending extra time to install as long as I won't be back again and again redoing the installation. I'm very happy with the results.
on January 12, 2015
Perhaps this fits easily onto new wire, but it certainly does not pierce 3 year old wire easily or cleanly. Awkward design, not easy installation, and it doesn't keep soil and moisture out so the contacts corrode in time requiring difficult replacement. There must be better ways to do this.
on August 7, 2012
These type of connectors can often be tricky to use, with different wires requiring fine-tuning the the positions of the piercing prongs, and repeatedly screwing down and unscrewing the connector. Not so with these. I have been adding to and changing my landscape lighting for the past 15 years, and these are, by far, the best connectors I have used. I didn't have to push or position the prongs at all - just insert the wires and screw the two halves together. I paid about $5/each, and it was well worth the money.
on February 24, 2014
First time I tried connecting everything, while holding the connector in the air. I learned later, after stepping away from the job and drinking a couple of cups of Zen tea, an easier much less frustrating way. Separate the top from bottom, place the bottom on a flat surface i.e. sidewalk, board or pad. Then lay the 18 gauge small wire in first, then the 12 gauge wire. Put them in so that they are less likely to pop out. By that I mean don't have directional tension on the wires. You will need to hold the two wires in the bottom part of the connector with one hand. I used my thumb on the wide end of wires coming out of connector and forefinger on the narrow end of connector, then place the top of connector on and if all wires look snug and in proper position, tighten the top connector screw. You may have to repeat the process if it does not light immediately. It is considerably easier to hold the wires in place when they are in the appropriate gauge slot and on a steady flat surface.

Don't give up! Step away from the job and think it over if you hit a hard stop. Examine the lower part of the connector and be sure to work on a hard flat surface.
on July 27, 2015
High hopes, but disappointed. To be fair, I haven't had a lot of success with other products in this category either. The metal barbs aren't strong enough to penetrate low-voltage cable that has been out in the elements for a few years; they just bend over. Plus, it is very difficult to align the cables through the connector, you'll miss on at least one of the wires and have to re-do the entire connection.
on June 22, 2012
I purchased server al of these connectors thinking I would save time on the installation. But these connectors are of very poor quality as the teeth that bite down onto the cables would not pierce the 18 gauge fixture cable. I even tried to put a piece of rubber under the fixture cable to build it up a bit, but it would just not pierce it. So after installing 14 Lights, I now have to cut and splice about 10 fixtures and buy the silicon wire nuts. Complete waste of time and money. I would not recommend these at all.
on April 18, 2014
Although the connector is supposed to work with 18 ga wire they will not work with standard 18 ga landscape cable. The slot is too narrow for the cable. They should have stated that it's for their special lamp wire only.
on June 22, 2012
on January 29, 2014
I was looking for alternative to these types of connectors because, well most of the available connectors for low V's are a pain these are cheap difficult to connect to the wire and unreliable do not purchase