4.0 out of 5 stars I want to adopt Hit-Girl
Published on April 17, 2010 by Monkdude

3.0 out of 5 stars $6.95 is a great price for Blue-Ray+DVD+Digital Copy, however . . .
. . . if you try to execute the digital copy on you pc, you will get the following error:

Thank you for your interest in the digital copy. We're sorry but the redemption period has expired. For more information about digital copy from Lionsgate Home Video, please visit [...]. The site lists this title and then gives you a three step process which,of course,...
Published 9 months ago by Breck Balmos

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to adopt Hit-Girl, April 17, 2010
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
What a wacky movie this is. When I first saw the previews, I thought this Kick-Ass was going to be aimed at kids and teens. Boy was I way off, because it earns it's R rating many times over. I really had no intention of seeing this film until I saw the very positive reviews flowing in from the critics. Not that I always agree with them, but in this case I would like to thank them for getting my butt down to the local theater today.

Parts of the movie reminded me of Watchmen. You have everyday people who are sick of bad things happening to good people, decide to put on costumes, have funny hero names, and then beat and cut apart the bad guys in a not so nice way. I actually thought it was rather tame in the gore department, compared to what I read about beforehand, but the violence and language is way too strong for kids.

The acting is good from everyone. I liked newcomer Aaron Johnson as Kick-Ass himself. Nicolas Cage turns in one of his better performaces in a long time, though I think he was great in an over-the-top kind of way in The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans. Christopher Mintz-Plasse is still doing his McLovin thing in every movie since Superbad, but it worked again. Mark Strong is kind of one note as the villain, like in Sherlock Holmes, but I think he's a little better in this role. The real star of the show is little 11-year-old, Chloe Moretz, as Hit-Girl. She is clearly the most memorable thing in a movie with a bunch of stuff worth remembering. As the daughter of Cage's Big Daddy hero, she spews out bad language, slices and shoots baddies by the dozens, and loves her daddy. I want one of my own.

Kick-Ass is serious in tone most of the time, but there are some killer comedy bits and lines that had the whole theater erupting with laughter. The music is well placed in key scenes and the director/writer, Matthew Vaughn, did a fine job in creating a comic book film that should please both fans and non-fans of the genre alike.

Even though it looks like Kick-Ass will come in #1 this weekend, it still feels more like a cult film to me. I can easily see this movie being talked about decades from now, much like Army of Darkness, but without the campiness factor. What a breath of fresh air in a genre that has just as many misses as it does hits.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a few movies I've paid to see twice., May 25, 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass (DVD)
Just like the rest of you, I went into the theater knowing not a whole lot about this movie. I thought it would be lame, cheesy, corny, *insert adjective here*. But, I was DEAD wrong to say the least. Kick-Ass combines action, comedy, and emotion, all at the right times. The movie flows well mainly because the cast jives so well together. I have yet to come out of a movie theater so pumped and wanting more than after I came out of Kick-ass

Aaron Johnson (Kick-Ass)- I didn't realize he was a British actor until I heard a voice clip from an interview. You sure can't tell from the movie. He plays a great nerdy type kid. But what separates him from actors like Michael Cera is that he actually grew some balls and decided to stand up to crime. He does a great job as the lead actor in the first half of the movie, but quickly gets overshadowed by young dynamo, Chloe Moretz

Nicholas Cage (Big Daddy)- In my eyes, he redeemed himself for movies like Ghost Rider and Knowing. He was amazing. His character was totally believable and I sure enjoyed his Adam West mannerisms. He also did his fair share of ass kicking. His relationship with his daughter, Hit-Girl, brought hilarity and the emotion that I mentioned earlier to this movie.

Lyndsey Fonseca (Katie Deauxma)- Hadn't seen her in a movie before. She is very beautiful and will be looking forward to seeing her in the sequel.

Chris Mintz-Plasse (Red Mist)- As much as I don't want to say it, Chris is out growing his McLovin' character. He, like Kick-Ass, plays a slightly awkward superhero with no powers. He fills his part well and has plenty of laugh out loud lines.

And, the best for last:

Chloe Moretz (Hit-Girl)- I honestly don't even know where to start with this girl. I would say she gives the performance of her life, but she was only 11 at the time of filming. She underwent 6 months of combat, acrobatic, and weapons training for her role as Hit-Girl in this movie. It paid off big time. Chloe does all her own stunts (minus 2) in the movie, which is insane. She is foul mouthed and bloodthirsty, but also has her kid moments. I don't understand the controversy with her character. She is very mature and thus should be able to do more mature roles. If you're not planning on seeing this movie, rethink, mainly because of this girl right here. She is incredible and will no doubt be the new Angelina Jolie when her time comes.

Overall, great movie. Great cast, great fight choreography, great soundtrack, and a great setup for a sequel! (Which has been announced)

See this movie, and then tell all your friends! It's totally worth the 2 hours of your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal, disturbing, and hilarious!, April 16, 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass (DVD)
The film is based on a comic book by the same name. The rights to the story were sold before the book was even published (it debuted only eight weeks before the film):

A teenage boy decides to take a stand for justice. He dons a green scuba costume and names himself Kick-Ass. However, not having any actual superpowers, this hero's good intentions quickly land him in an ICU. Eventually though, Kick-Ass crosses paths with a couple of far more effective (a.k.a. deadly) heroes: Big Daddy, a former cop falsely convicted of drug trafficking, and Hit-Girl, his eleven year old daughter. Big Daddy has spent the past six years training his little girl in all forms of mortal combat, hoping she would help him revenge her mother's death and her father's fall from grace, orchestrated by a local Mafia Boss. Enter blood, gore, and plenty of belly laughs...

Let me get straight to the point: yes, the film was funny and highly entertaining. However, initially I felt uneasy laughing at an eleven year old girl determinedly slaughtering a roomful of men, even if they were rotten to the core and disserving of every bullet and of every knife wound. But then, I remembered what I was like at that age: it was the early 80's. My favourite toys were a silver colt revolver and a sword. Depending on my mood, I would pretend to be a cowboy taking on a bunch of wild Indians, or a Jedi disarming (literally) Darth Vader and his evil cohorts. So, if any of you want to believe that little girls' minds are all about sugar and spice, well... good luck with that (by the way, I managed to grow into adulthood WITHOUT slipping into drugs and/or alcohol, and no, I was not a teenage mother). And so, that quick recollection gave me the permission to look at the film as an absurd exercise in fantasy and allowed me to enjoy every minute of it. Yes, the film was well written, directed and edited, but the special mention must go to the actress who portrayed Hit-Girl. Chloe Moretz was indeed eleven at the time of filming, but had the presence of a seasoned performer. I am looking forward to watching her future projects. There is already talk of a sequel. I'd pay to see it!

Laugh and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick Ass did just that, August 8, 2010
First, let me say this movie isn't for the weak hearted. If you don't like violence, this movie isn't for you. I never read the comics or knew anything about it, so when I first watched the movie I was a bit surprised by the violence and blood in it. However, this movie is great from start to finish. Tons of actions mixed in with some laugh out loud moments makes this one of the best movies of 2010.

As many other reviewers discussed, Hit Girl is the obvious star of the movie as she steals every scene she is in. Chloe Moretz (Hit Girl) gives one of the best "child" performances you will ever see. All other actors/actresses hold their own in this movie, especially Nic Cage. I'm not a Nic Cage hater, but I never thought I would say he was absolutely brilliant in any movie. He plays the role of Big Daddy perfectly and shows emotions that you usually don't see from him in other movies.

Possible spoiler...

One scene that I have to talk about is the "unmasking" scene with Kick Ass. The direction, action and emotion of this scene is unreal. The Director nailed this moment in the movie with impressive visual camera work and non-stop action. Really impressive, and is something that you have to see.

Definitely recommend this and you don't have to be a comic book fan to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Rated-R Movie, August 9, 2010
To anyone who hasn't seen the movie but is considering it, you should realize up front that this movie is NOT for the kiddies, as evidenced by the "R" rating. That said, most of the bad reviews here seem to be from either people who had problems with the disc itself (i.e. people who don't understand the concept of a review), or people who let their kids watch the movie. These people made a stupid decision involving the mental well-being of their children based on the fact that they've seen "R-Rated" movies in the past that they don't mind their kids watching. This is not one of those movies!

Ranting aside, this was a pretty awesome movie. If you like action movies, check it out. It's a little darker, a little more violent, and a lot more vulgar than you might expect, but that's part of the movie's brilliance. Hit Girl is one of the coolest characters to grace the big screen in years, the MistMobile is the hottest Mustang manufactured post-70's, and the narrative draws you right into a feeling of camaraderie with the characters almost immediately.

Check it out, this movie rocks!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would have given the movie 10 stars, July 25, 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass (DVD)
This surprised the hell out of me! Just like the other Writer's here, I was expecting a "lame" teenager type movie--DAM! Glad this movie corrected me! Or should I say Chloe Moretz corrected me! If you all look at the cover of the DVD, and see her picure with that "snarl" ----I just loved this movie! When I was younger, about these Kid's age, I had the "fantasy" of being Iron Man or Batman or Greenhornet! After seeing this -HELL no. You know, if you're even entertaining the idea of being a vigiliant(sorry, my spelling is atrocious here) at least have some Martial Art's knowledge-some Tech Know-How, some kind of "Edge," But, watch this Movie first! The poor Kid who makes His choice to be a "SuperHero" almost gets his ass killed! This other Kid, whose Dad is a feared Mob Boss, wants to get in the spotlight also don's the SuperHero garb! The Dad, who is for "real" (in the movie) an ex-cop out for retribution, and of course, his little daughter when you see her she looks just like any other Kid her age and you go "AWW, How Cute!" That impression stops after you see what she can do------Yeah, I can not wait for the Sequel and Yes, I agree that Moretz will be the New Jolie (action-AngelinaJ)! And Parents, Yeah, there is a scene that is disturbing (Gage and Moretz in the junk yard) but keep in all this is for one purpose- to Entertain! O God I was laffing my ass off after seeing Moretz go in "Ginsu" Mode and her effective use of "selective" language!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick-Ass totally kicks ass!, October 3, 2010
Rampant Reader (Philadelphia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick-Ass (DVD)
This movie came highly recommended to me and boy, I was not disappointed. It is rockin fun, totally over the top. It's got action, but not hollywood glossed over action. It shows the real nasty side to all those blows superheroes get. Kick-Ass has got heart, it's funny as hell and it's quite frankly eye-popping and unforgettable. I think it sets a new standard. I'll watch it again and again. The script is sharp and smart, especially when it's not obviously trying to be. I'd recommend this for action-lovers, those looking for something fresh and exciting, and for anyone tired of the same-old, same-old. This movie is entertaining as hell. Hit Girl owns it!

Watch Kick-Ass. It takes no prisoners!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have been called "Hit Girl Kicks Ass", November 10, 2010
This movie is not for the easily offended, or those who want to impress people by their deep moral values and look down on those that realize that this is just a MOVIE and that it's intended as entertainment. In my opinion, most comic book based movies suck, so I had very low expectations for "Kick Ass". I thought my fears were justified until Big Daddy and Hit Girl appear on the screen. What makes this movie memorable, and the reason why "Kick Ass" will remain a cult classic for years to come, is those two characters.

Big Daddy is a mentally disturbed man, set on revenge, whose idea of showing love for his daughter is to fire low velocity bullets at her while she wears a bulletproof vest instead of high velocity rounds. He molds Hit Girl into a remorseless killing machine who can also swear like a sailor in a Manila brothel. Despite the patent immorality of Big Daddy's education of his daughter, his love for her, and her devotion for him, are never in doubt. Nicolas Cage and Chloe Moretz make the loving relationship between the two believable despite the obvious disfunctionality of the family.

Although the movie is called "Kick Ass" after the titular hero, Hit Girl is the real superhero of the movie. She steals the picture from the first scene she is in. Despite her cussing and murderous ways, Hit Girl is still just a little girl at heart, who just wants to please her daddy. She is not immoral, because she has been raised with a different set of moral values. The violence she perpetrates is over the top, and at times is creative. You will see ways of killing criminals you have never seen before. Hit-Girl has been vilified by crusading movie critics, but she will go down as one of the greatest anti-hero movie characters ever. She belongs with "The-Man-With-No-Name" played by Clint Eastwood, and "The Terminator" played by Arnold Schwarzenegger as a ruthless and amoral character that you actually cheer for.

I can't believe I'm going to say this... but I'm actually looking forward for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASILY ONE OF THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK FILMS EVER MADE!, August 11, 2010
I have wanted to see Kick-Ass ever since I saw the trailer over a year ago. What looked to be just another "by the numbers" sophomoric comedy turns out to be a brilliant and wickedly funny satire for adults.

This film isn't going to appeal to everyone and I'm not here to insult anyone on either side of the fence. I enjoyed the film and I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't like it that's fine too and if you don't think your kids should see it, then don't let them, it wasn't intended for kids, but I do believe that trailer marketed it to look like a much more innocent film. The R rating should be enough warning for parents to get the idea that this film isn't for children.

As far as the violence involving this young actress, I can remember many Little Rascal shorts that involved the rascals dragging adults across boards with nails in them or hitting them in the head with hammers etc, so this is not all that new to the world. I realize that this film shows violence that is way more graphic, but I also think we have become a little over sensitive and read way too much into everything these days.

There were similar reactions to 'The Exorcist' and 'Pretty Baby' in their day and since Linda Blair and Brooke Shields seemed to have turned out OK I see no reason for such commotion. Everything is open to individual interpretation and depending on your age you may not realize that this has been going on since the early stages of filmmaking. I remember eight Shirley Temple vehicles called 'Baby Burlesks' she made before her wonderful feature films that portrayed 3 year olds as adults which I find much more alarming that this film.

Now.....let's get to the movie. The casting is perfect with each of the four heroes having their own quirks and enough back story to propel this kind of film. Aaron Johnson plays the title character a Peter Parker type of nerdy school kid who without the aid of super powers decides he wants to fight crime. Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays "Red Mist" another school nerd who's father happens to be a gangster boss. Nick Cage gives one of his best performances as "Big Daddy" an ex cop who was framed and jailed for 5 years and wants nothing more than to crush those responsible. He enlists the aid of his pint sized potty mouthed daughter Mindy A.K.A. "Hit Girl" played by Chloe Moretz who absolutely owns this film! Moretz shows incredible chops here not only as an actress, but as a stunt person, she performs almost all her own stunts and her performance is amazing. I know some see this kid's character as child exploitation, but really each child is different and some are more mature that others and it is her parents responsibility not mine to see to it she can handle such a role.

While the film is extremely violent, it is portrayed much like in many comic books today which is a lot more disturbing than this film. I know that a lot of adults read comics, but comics are made for kids or at least that was their original intent, if comic books are going to have graphic violence, maybe there should be age restrictions on those too? I haven't seen an actual 'Kick Ass' comic book so I can't respond on how closely this movie portrays the comic, but I can tell you, this is easily one of the best comic book movies ever made.

The Blu Ray combo pack has a slick looking transfer and plenty of behind the scenes features for fans. I hope that this Blu Ray DVD combo trend continues as I really like having both Blu Ray and DVD as I haven't fully committed to Blu Ray and it's nice to have both formats in case I want to watch this film as someone's home who doesn't have a Blu Ray.

In Short Kick-Ass does just that all around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wanted to add another five star., August 11, 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass (DVD)
I am usually hypercritical of the formula romantic comedies, action films, etc. that come out of the US movie industry, specifically Hollywood and NY, but this one, despite a slow start and awkward ending was a total surprise. Just thinking about the movie the day after provokes a chuckle so there's a little something special embedded in this movie - kudos to the KA film posse.

Let's cut it short - five big ones for this little creative and surprising gem.

Caveats to the viewers and to Chloe Grace (Mindy). First to the viewing audience as you already know from other sources there's a bit of profanity and blood - don't worry it's so outrageous it's more funny than psychologically harmful. Second to Chloe Grace, take everything you said and did as outrageous satire and be sure to hold up as some of your role models truly great athletes who are always in control of themselves. Despite the battles they encounter they don't need the profanities, the fights - they handle it all with artistic intelligence and skill.

Kick-Ass (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
$14.99 $5.88