Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on August 5, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If you are a Romance novel lover, you won't be surprised that Simon and Jessica are going to end up together by the end of the book, but the story that gets them there is delightful. There is humor here and there, enough to make me laugh out loud a couple of times. The characters are well written which makes them easy to connect to while you read about them. There are some surprising twists and turns on Simon and Jessica's journey that I believe you will enjoy.
on July 21, 2013
I don't want to give this book a bad review, because it isn't all bad, but the plot and the characters at times are train wrecks. Case in point:
The wealthy soccer player gets drafted by a new team and doesn't really want to play? His antics include spending lots of money- close to half a million on cars and other things. The idea of keeping a bad boy image for endorsements seemed dumb. In fact, I found it hard to connect with the hero. He seemed to be naive (especially about women) and immature for a seasoned international soccer player.The premise that he wanted to be in the tabloids versus play soccer did not lend one to be sympathetic towards him. If a player wants to keep a job would he like being arrested and constantly in the tabloids?. The two characters both have issues and I found the fact that the heroine's parents wanted to control their daughter after she was an adult a bit silly. If she had been a teenager, yes. But an adult no way. It could have been a good book, but sadly missed the mark with me.
on October 12, 2011
Being a soccer player, it was fun to read a book w/ a soccer twist to it. The characters were pretty good, really liked Simon's character a lot!

Jessica was a bit too dramatic at times and the story took a horrible nose dive towards the end with way too many dramatic events coming together. Needed more planning and the lover's quarrel was not well thought out. Seemed rushed together at the end. Better luck next time.
on January 10, 2012
An English soccer player and an LA rich girl are about as far from my experience as can be, but that didn't stop me being drawn completely into this delightful love story by Carol Ericson. There was enough character growth here, in relation to both Simon and Jessica, to satisfy my need for emotional depth in the romances I read. I loved the fact that both the hero and heroine came of age in this story, facing up to the challenges thrown out by parents, bosses, the system, and indeed, the responsibilities of life. Several plot twists and turns added extra depth to the story, which was told with both humor and compassion. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
on August 4, 2011
I wasn't sure how this book would turn out. Not as predictable as some of the lighter fare that I read at times. This isn't a heavy book, but a fun story with a lot of twists and turns and some are not what you are expecting. I don't like to tell the story line in my reviews as you can see those on Amazon and I'll put that below my review. The characters are unpredictable, although Simon is pretty much predictable as a man. It is the characters around him and some of the situations in the story that are unpredictable. It was a fun read I was done in one day! It kept my interest and I didn't put the kindle down too often. My hubby had some things he wanted me to do and had to keep holering at me as I kept picking up my kindle to see what the outcome of the next twist in the book was going to be. So, fun read, not too heavy, with some good twists and turns. Anyone who likes contemporary romances, and wants a fun read for the beach, a plane ride, etc. This is a good one for that! You can finish it in a day and it will keep your interest!

Here is the Amazon description of the book:
Simon Bosford, transplanted English soccer star, has the world by the balls. He just signed a multi-million dollar contract with the L.A. Waves, the worst team in Major League Soccer. Simon's more interested in raising his celebrity profile than scoring goals, but his plans take a detour when he tangles with Jessica Jones, the world's most disorganized personal assistant.

Jessica has her own plans, and none of them involve launching a puffed-up male Adonis of an athlete on the L.A. celebrity circuit. Jessica, the rebellious daughter of the wealthy, controlling Bretts, who happen to own a few football teams, yearns to make it on her own. The first step on this journey of independence is her new job with Chase Sports Management (CSM) as a travel agent. Evan Chase, her boss and Simon's agent, gives her the plum position as Simon's personal assistant after just four months on the job. The assignment comes with one caveat: keep Simon "The Boss" Bosford out of trouble and under wraps until his practices with the Waves start. Easier said than done.

As the games between Simon and Jessica kick into high gear, they land off-side, out of bounds, and in love.
on November 6, 2011
Kick It Up by Carol Ericson has all the ingredients of a wonderful adult contemporary romance novel:

Humor
Drama
Romance
Deceit
Charming Characters
Some Life Lessons
Strip Poker

Kick It Up was actually a very good adult romance novel. It didn't change my life or anything, but it's an entertaining story worth reading!

I don't consider myself a soccer fan. In fact, the only time I even think about soccer is when the World Cup is on television, and that is because it's unavoidable that time of year. If we were to play the word association game right now, ya know the one where you say a word and I tell you the first thing that pops into my head, it would go a little something like this: You say soccer. I say David Beckham. Yep, my soccer knowledge is very limited, but that didn't keep me liking this novel. My guess, soccer fans will have a greater appreciation for this story, but this story is for everyone. Soccer fan or not, you will enjoy this story if you like to read sexy, contemporary romance novels.

The characters had some stereotypical characteristics, but they also had their own charm and attitude. In my opinion, the characters were unique enough to be considered original.

Simon is a professional soccer player with a bad boy image. His father doesn't think soccer is a steady career choice, but Simon is intent on proving him wrong. Simon's character underwent a lot of growth and development in this novel. The guy you meet at the beginning of this novel is a lot different from the guy at the end of this story. I thought Simon's journey was entertaining and inspiring.

Jessica grew up with wealth and opportunity, but she wants a chance to make it on her own, away from her father's name. I really like Jessica because she has so much spark and confidence. She's a fun, go-getter type of girl. I really enjoyed her character, especially her little devious side. Two words: bathroom sprinkler! That was one of my favorite parts. I cracked up!

Simon and Jessica together is the best combination. They have a instant connection, but it isn't ridiculous or unbelievable. They have a realistic relationship, business related at first and then more later. Their relationship develops over time, and they don't completely change who they are the second they meet. They have struggles and conflicts. Their relationship felt real.

I gave Kick It Up by Carol Ericson 4 STARS (3.5 STARS). I recommend this book for a fun, sexy read.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING
on January 30, 2012
This book had the potential for a fun and interesting romantic read. However, after starting with all the right ingredients, the final product just fell flat. I can't even say that this book ended up being just ordinary because it actually bordered on bad rather than mediocre and ordinary.

Ingredient 1: Jessica Brett is the daughter of a sports-mogul father and a past super-model mother, both of whom like to control Jessica's life.
Ingredient 2: Dysfunctional family: not only are her parents controlling, they like to put their children down by telling them that everything that they have "achieved" is done through their connections.
Ingredient 3: hunky hero with angst of his own. Simon, The Boss, is a superb soccer player from a working-class background (sore issue) who may have to be put out to pasture now that his glory days are over.
Simon moves to the U.S. where he plans on capitalizing on his star power that was built on being a bad boy, and not so much on being a good soccer player. Problem: the owner of his new team expects him to play soccer instead of just selling seats through his star power.
Ingredient 4: Evil bosses, back-stabbing friends, siblings.
The main plot is about how Jessica ends up being Simon's personal assistant who is tasked to keep him out of trouble. But Simon wants to build up his bad boy image, and after he starts to fall for Jessica, he thinks that she's a party girl who only likes the high life and so, even though his love for the soccer game and field draw him towards drawing back on the party scene, he thinks he needs to keep things interesting in order to keep Jessica interested in him. As if that isn't confusing enough, Jessica learns that her new job was actually achieved through her father and she decides to get back at her father by using Simon. How? By getting Simon to live the kind of life that will guarantee his regular appearance in the tabloids.

Basically, the problem with this book is that we have two main characters who both have some serious issues, especially with self-confidence and trust. Their lack of trust makes them jump to conclusions. And to bad decisions. Simon isn't actually that bad. He's actually a run-of-the-mill hero with nothing intersting to add. However, the character of Jessica is a mess. She really makes bad decisions and there were times when I had to take a break from the book because I just couldn't continue to read what she was doing.

Would I recommend this to anyone? No, not even as a free read.
Would I read this again? No
Was this worth the $2.99 paid: No. This book should be sold for $0.99 to lessen the feeling of having paid too much for a mediocre book that reads as though it were written by an amateur. Also, the formatting is off in this book. I purchased this through Amazon and read it on a Kindle. If you're going to publish a book for the Kindle, you should at least take the time to make sure the formatting is correct. I had weird indentations and it wasn't for style or to show a time jump or someone's stream of consciousness. it was just bad editing.
on October 5, 2012
I didn't like that book much. The plot was not very good, I didn't understand how or why they fell in love with each other. I thought the story of the rich celebrity guy buying a ferrari and expensive dresses wasn't for me at all. It was tacky. Probably because I don't associate with the partying crowds of Hollywood where the more expensive useless crap you own the more popular you are.
on April 9, 2013
Story line okay. Wouldn't go out of my way to read this author again. Just not of interest to me. Got my wires crossed thinking it was supposed to be funny. More trash than I prefer.
on July 7, 2014
Loved this book as it had me hooked from the first chapter. Good dialogue and chemistry between the characters. Book sizzles. A must!