4.0 out of 5 stars Much, Much Better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I first listened to this CD on my work sound system which does not do it justice. I was only mildly impressed and was preparing to submit a scathing review with the main focus being "mediocrity at its best."

But then I took it home and put it on a real sound system.
VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I still contend that Gerald is infinitely more...
Published on August 12, 2004 by Raider Jack

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a high step
Only three tracks were above average. The others were average or did not appeal to me. I was drawn to cd by 4 on the floor, and hoped for hot music for the remainder. I would still make he purchase based on the tracks I enjoyed.
Published 19 months ago by Jazz soul man

4.0 out of 5 stars Much, Much Better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, August 12, 2004
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)

But then I took it home and put it on a real sound system.
VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I still contend that Gerald is infinitely more viable as a premiere session man than a solo artist, this second outing with GRP is far superior to "Groovology;" the former project seemed to be a classic example of an artist suffering from musician's block. "Kickin' It" is the exact opposite - with help from the likes of Jeff Lorber and George Duke, it appears creativity was at an all-time high with the end result being a wonderful project that you will enjoy over and over again. The arrangements are tight with fresh interpretations, a nice ode to Jr. Walker and some oh so nice tunes in collaboration with Lorber.

Quite honestly, I haven't been this impressed with a Gerald Albright project in quite a whie. It appears he is finally hittinhg his stride and I could not be more pleased.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice, Gerald!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Only good things to say about this CD, July 28, 2004
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)
I first saw Gerald Albright perform to stunning effect in Anita Baker's touring band many years ago now and thought he'd be a top seller when he released his own records, so I've sort of followed his releases buying most of them along the way. Despite some highs So Amazing and My, My, My (OK both covers) were great as was Groovology (check out We Fall Down) but honestly I felt his previous offerings had been a bit patchy. This release however certainly has much more depth and consistency and is hard to justify removing from the CD player as it's so easy on the ear. This set sees Gerald into more mainstream smooth jazz territory but he's managed to retain variety as he mixes funky uptempo tunes with some interesting covers and a very solid support crew. I particularly like the way he almost respectfully complements but never over powers the melodies. I'm not sure it will get the attention it deserves but it's definately worth a try and could easily become a slow sales burner.

5.0 out of 5 stars He gets better and better...., July 21, 2004
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)
Like the last reviewer, this cd has not left my cd changer. There is something for every jazz lovers taste. Frankly, I was surprised that more reviews hadn't been written. There are beautiful interpretations including If You Don't Know Me By Now and Condition of My Heart featuring Shawn Stockman of Boyz II Men. I particularly enjoyed the tribute to Jr. Walker simply titled Walker's Theme. Other favorites include 4 On The Floor and Throw Yo Hands (In The Air). There is one song that stands above all the others in my heart and mind. It is Father's Lullaby which he lovingly plays and dedicates to the memory of his father. The emotion and passion with which he plays is unmistakable. You can't help but be moved by his heartfelt expression of love and the pain that comes with losing such a significant part of his life. This is an extraordinary cd!

5.0 out of 5 stars YEEEE-OOWWW, This thing is HOT and TASTEY!!!!, November 18, 2004
Sterling (Midlothian, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)
Quite frequently, I buy albums and only one song is worth listening to... This is most certainly not the case here. I loved nearly the entire album, especially numbers 1 and 2 cuts. If these don't get you up and into a thumping Jazz trance, well you're dead. I have liked Albright in the past, but I feel this time he's really created a masterpiece. As stated earlier, this one is H-O-T!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving This Gem . . ., July 29, 2004
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)
I've been waiting for this one for a while. I was in danger of wearing out my Groovology CD . . . which has been replaced twice from theft already. This one I'm protecting with a Doberman!!

The one thing that makes Gerald's selections so great is that signature tone of his, a particular riff he shoots out and his complete knowledge of his instrument. I was so enamored with his earlier albums and song choices, it was hard to say that he'd ever top it, except that his next album came out and topped that one. He continues his trend. For all his naysayers and critics, let me interject that as a fellow sax player, his technique is virtually flawless and his stylings are inherently individual. Though you can tell it's him, his various albums all have a distinctive sound to them --- they don't all sound virtually alike . . . unlike Kenny G or Najee and even some of Sanborn's early albums, which seemed to be cloned or generated from some nebulous formulaic equation from the depths of some producer's mind and not from the artist. No, his material is not strictly from the Coltrane/Bird/Hawkins mix. But it is an excellent mix of material and in many ways is an homage to the great masters. I play sax and that's hard. I don't play bass, but I'm presuming that it's hard to become proficient on as well. And Gerald is an extremely talented bass player, playing on most of the selections.

Favorites on this CD are Walker's Theme, recognizing the late great legendary Jr. Walker and his impact on young sax players. I have a special affinity for this song, as I grew up idolizing Junior and had styled myself after him and King Curtis during my early sax playing years. The classic Rhodes piano mixed with the B3 blending with the guitar and Gerald's bass thumping . . . it's just magical. Junior is getting a kick out of this one!! There is no dead air on this CD and it should get plenty of work on your player. It's just the thing for a country drive or a traffic jam or just lounging in your crib checking out the game on the big screen with the announcers muted!!

Other winners are Throw Yo Hands (In The Air) and Father's Lullabye. But a surprise is Condition Of My Heart with a wrenching vocal by Shawn Stockman, who has a better voice than I gave him credit from when he was with BoysIIMen.

This CD is a great package of music, highlighting one of the true master sax players in the world in his element.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerald Albright Is On Fire Here!, February 5, 2005
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)
This is Gerald's latest effort,and I must say,it is a real smooth jazz gem.Gerald really lets it fly here,with jazzy energy everywhere.There isn't a dud on the entire album!While you may have heard of the popular single from this album on the radio,the funky "To The Max",there is more to this album than just funk.While there are a number of funky,upbeat and groovy tunes on this album,such as "4 On The Floor","ToThe Max","Throw Yo' Hands In The Air",and"On The One",there are also an equal amount of more standard,traditional smooth jazz stylings as well.Not like its a bad thing,far from it,because these tunes help to balance the album out and more,keeping it from going stale.Some of the more standard tunes on the album are,"Why Georgia","Walker's Theme",and "Father's Lullaby",which Gerald produced in remembrance of his late father.However,even the not so funky tunes shine here,with one of the best examples being Gerald's nice cover version of "Why Georgia".There is also a vocal track on the album,"Condition Of My Heart",performed by a former "Boyz To Men" member.While the album as a whole is great,the best picks are,"4 On The Floor","To The Max","Why Georgia","Throw Yo' Hands In The Air","On The One",and "If You Don't Know Me By Now".If you are looking for an exceptional sax player,then look no further,because you just found one.This album should be in everyone's smooth jazz collection.I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jazz, August 14, 2005
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)
Music that you can play for any occasion, or just relax and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 3, 2014
MY HUSBAND LOVED IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars All of the album is terrific, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Kickin' It Up (MP3 Music)
Mr. Albright has a definate "upbeat" style. It is infectous and great to play drums along to. Get it if you like good contemporary Jazz

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerald Albright at his best., November 6, 2013
This review is from: Kickin It Up (Audio CD)
Gerald Albright is sensational!!! I love this cd. Listening to his smooth jazz sounds puts me in a mellow mood.

Kickin' It Up