1,002 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the best
I've had a subscription to Peet's for years. I find Starbuck's dark roast tastes burnt. I saw this coffee in the Gold Box and decided to try it based on the reviews. It is absolutely delicious; the best coffee I've ever had. I enjoy it in my morning latte. It has a strong, robust smell, but blends smoothly in my latte's and mocha's. Even better, it is ORGANIC and FREE...
Published on March 15, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars good but too oily for super automatics
Published on January 10, 2011 by Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee snobs, March 14, 2012
My husband is one of the biggest coffee snobs. He weighs the beans for exact amounts, uses filtered water, selects the right grind for the particular bean. He enjoys samples of coffee from different regions. After receiving this coffee as a gift, it is now one of our standard morning brews. It is a great full flavored coffee.[[ASIN:B001SJR5EQ Kicking Horse Coffee Three Sisters Medium, Whole Bean Coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Kicking Horse Coffee Kick Ass Dark, Whole Bean Coffee, 2.2-Pound Pouch (Grocery)
I have the opportunity to travel to Torino Italy each year for work. That is where I fell in love with Italian style coffee. After buying my espresso machine, on my next trip to Italy, I had a coworker bring me to a caffe so I could take some beans home. The coffee was amazing and from there my taste buds were not pleased with any of the coffee I could find in the US.
Then I found Kicking Horse Kick Ass and from opening that bag and smelling the aroma I was immediately reminded of that Italian coffee. Immediately I pulled a shot and those same sensations came back. My first thought was "FINALLY!"
Kick Ass is a strong full flavored espresso that pulls easily and has thick cremma. I drink it black with no sugar, as a machiato, black w sugar and in lattes. None dissapoint. The kick ass is a VERY STRONG flavor so if you do not like your coffee really strong you may be more interested in cliffhanger (I haven't tried the 454 yet), which is also excellent might I add and is a little closer to that coffee i got from Italy. Despite the strong flavor, this coffee is not bitter, unlike a lot of other beans that people claim are not bitter. The beans for the kick ass are very oily, cliffhanger is a little less oily.
Frankly, I'm hooked on the Kicking Horse line and am subscribing for the Kick Ass but I am seriously considering a cliffhanger subscription too. In general, I always prefer to have all my flavors as strong as possible and the kick ass is even a little strong for my taste at times in the day while the cliffhanger is a little more subdued but not sacrificing a great cup of coffee. Now I must try the 454 as well and I'm really looking forward to it!

3.0 out of 5 stars good but too oily for super automatics, January 10, 2011
The flavor was good but the beans were surprisingly oily for a medium roast. I make my espresso with a Jura Capresso super automatic machine- the warranty and instructions indicate you should not use oily beans. I won't buy this again as its bad for my machine. If you aren't concerned about the oily beans- the flavor and price were very good and I'd recommend giving it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three kicking sisters, June 28, 2011
YesIcan (Olney, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I concur with the positive reviews about this coffee blend.

I'm generally wary of medium blends, unless I know the region mix well enough. Overall, it's a sure bet. The medley of Indonesian, Central and South American beans, guarantees a light, medium and dark roast roller-coaster in every sip. This is a very even, all-around smooth blend, that's highly drinkable any time of the day -- or night ; ).

If you can adjust the coffee-to-water ratio according to your liking before the brew cycle, you'll be able to even accentuate or lessen the "kick" these three sisters pack per cup. Don't think twice about buying this blend. It'll be your new favorite for quite some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars very dark, robust, oily. Nice!, August 18, 2011
The beans are very oily and dark, the flavor is deep, rich, but not burnt at all. Very good coffee for those who like a strong kick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Rich, Clear Decaf!, March 3, 2011
I would have tried this coffee because it is from one of the most beautiful places on earth, the crisp, clear mountains of British Columbia. This coffee is the best decaf I have ever tasted. Often decaf tastes like it has a chemical aftertaste, (and some use chemicals in the processing), and some just lack that full bodied flavor. This one which has its caffeine extracted with mountain water is the richest, most satisfying decafs ever. You'll also feel great about yourself since it is fair trade. Their fully caffed versions are amazing too. I became such a loyal customer after coming across their coffee visiting Canada, that we order this by the double bag and have it shipped from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this coffee, April 9, 2013
This is very comparable to some very dark roast I've used from Hawaii. I was looking for an organic coffee that maybe comparable to upgraded coffee from bullet proof executive diet website. Certain parameters for processing. Organic being the first step in the chain. The next being wet processed right after harvest instead of aging under tarps while building up mold (the natural method). This company does the wet wash method according to an email they sent me for what it's worth. I asked them how they process. And also for a single high altitude source South American coffee. They offered to send me samples for free so I'm pretty happy with this customer service and also for the apparent quality of processing techniques. I prefer a more medium body so will be adding the Peruvian and Mexican versions. Mostly Peruvian since I don't trust Mexican QC or organic compliance.

1.0 out of 5 stars ... a coffee snob and this coffee was a COLOSSAL disappointment!! I bought it based on the great ..., October 14, 2014
I'm not a snob about much but I am definitely a coffee snob and this coffee was a COLOSSAL disappointment!! I bought it based on the great reviews on Amazon and have been debating whether to buy it or not. I finally did and I'm beating myself up for it. I honestly have no idea why so many people recommend it. The dark roast is bitter and has a horrible taste that settles on your tongue after a few seconds; it doesn't even get better when you add cream or half and half. I used filtered water which is critical for great coffee brewing, so I know that's not the problem. And I don't use a high flame. My advice? Stay clear of this coffee....Now I have to figure out what to do with 2 lbs of this disaster short of throwing it out. And I don't throw out food.

4.0 out of 5 stars The reviews were right!, May 10, 2014
I am not a coffee snob but I am trying to find a good coffee that I brew in a French Press that is strong and mellow. I have been experimenting with all the different types of whole bean coffees that Whole Foods sells and haven't found one yet that meets the strong and mellow criteria. It seems like all the coffees that I have tried have had one characteristic that I don't like, whether it is a fruity or bitter quality or an unpleasant aftertaste. So based on all the good reviews I decided to go with the three sisters medium. I just brewed my first cup using the course ground setting on my grinder and brewing for 4 minutes with 195 degree water. Guess what? The finished product is strong and mellow! Give it a shot...

2.0 out of 5 stars The Three Sisters blend is FAR too over-roasted to be classified as a "medium roast" blend., November 14, 2013
The Three Sisters blend I received has a burnt aroma right out of the package, but I have given it a week making 3 cups a day (but only drinking 1 or maybe 2 cups a day) and I can't make this blend palatable by any method I have tried. I prefer to use a porcelain cone drip coffee method and make only a cup at a time using a burr grinder and fresh roasted beans. Since so many people raved about this coffee I broke out my retired french press coffee-maker to give this blend an honest trial, but to no avail.

I varied the water temperature all the way down to 180ºF and up to 210ºF and every 5º in between. My taste experience was pretty consistent no matter what I did to improve things. I believe it was Harry Harrison who wrote that there are 5 levels of coffee; Coffee, Java, Káva, Joe, and Carbon Remover. We may have found a sixth.

I am retired Navy so I will claim expertise in the taste of coffee-colored swill so strong you can stand a spoon upright in it. But I wouldn't call this "strong" coffee I would call it burnt. I realize it is fashionable these days to drink dark-roasted coffee, but I tend to attribute this to its use in coffee-FLAVORED drinks being promoted by fast-food chains. You need a strong coffee to overcome all the sugar and milk and caramel and hazelnut and ice that dilutes the coffee flavor. I know Europeans have liked heavily roasted coffee for centuries but that is because of the high usage of the Robusta variant of coffee which does not have a particularly pleasant flavor. The Arabica variety is complex and pleasantly flavorful.

I like my coffee black and unsweetened. If my coffee needs cream or sweetener then I haven't made it properly. (I like espresso, Cuban coffee and café con leche so I'm not entirely opposed to strong or milk infused coffee.) When coffee is roasted there are several stages at which the roasting can stop (look online for more info) anything beyond the "first crack" starts destroying the flavor of the beans and imparting the flavor of the "roasting." First crack is about synonymous with "City Roast." As you continue to roast you reach the "second crack" stage and the oils in the beans start escaping and the beans start being imbued with the flavor of the roasting.

To me the "roasting" flavor tastes invariably like burnt chaff and oil, because that's basically what it is. This blend tastes like charcoal soaked in boiling water. You can often salvage a slightly over roasted coffee by letting it set after brewing, and indeed after 10-15 minutes the burnt smell and taste disappears entirely. I mean that literally, the taste disappears entirely. As I type this I am drinking a fresh brewed cup at 150ºF and I am grasping at words to try and describe the flavor. There is nothing here that I can say is coffee. It's not offensive like it is when freshly brewed. It is nearly tasteless and has the aroma of a disused coffee carafe. There is a mouth-feel that I don't normally associate with coffee (or anything else) and I would say it has the slightest sweet aftertaste that only shows up 10-15 seconds after a mouthful. If I aerate the coffee on my tongue like one might do with a wine I get the flavor of some unidentifiable vegetation that has been boiled. Very mild and unoffensive. But this is not what I expect from coffee.

As I look over the Amazon description and the packaging there is no mention of Arabica OR Robusta beans. So these may very well be low quality beans over-roasted to destroy the brightness (acidity.) You might like this sort of thing but it's not for people that enjoy breakfast blends or medium roasts. I have uploaded a photo of the beans I received.

Kicking Horse Coffee Kick Ass Dark, Whole Bean Coffee, 2.2-Pound Pouch