5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!
Published on January 8, 2007 by my GFCF kids

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, average cookbook
Published on October 5, 2007 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, January 8, 2007
I am still a bit of a novice when it comes to cooking GFCF, we have only been following this diet for a few months now, but this book makes it easy to create meals and snacks that my children will eat. The Wonderful Waffles recipe is better that anything you will find in the freezer section of your local grocery store-GFCF or otherwise-and there are lots of tips & tricks to get more nutrients into your kids. Not only are the recipes good, the info presented on the diet is done in an easy-to-read format. It is all explained in great detail, how it works and why it works. Also, at the top of each recipe, there is a key that shows which allergens are present, a real time-saver for those of us dealing with multiple food sensitivities-you know at a glance. Overall, I am happy with my purchase, I would recommend it to others, especially if you are just starting out on the GFCF diet & need some guidance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, average cookbook, October 5, 2007
This is a great primer on the science behind the GFCF diet and several other alternative diets for kids on the spectrum. I learned a tremendous amount from it and even identified an enzyme deficiency in my own child because of it. However, the cookbook portion leaves a bit to be desired from my perspective. I was looking for something to help me with feeding a 2 1/2 year old and this is most definitely not geared towards toddlers. Perhaps it would be good for feeding a family with middle-schoolers or older, but for the little ones, there is surprisingly little. Additionally, some of the items that are labeled in it as "soy-free" call for items that have soy in them. I don't regret buying it because I'm sure someday I'll end up using the recipes, but I still have yet to find a toddler-friendly GFCF cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to start with, August 13, 2008
Tonya Olsen (Bountiful, UT United States) - See all my reviews
My son has ADHD and after a nightmare of a year on medication we vowed never to go down that road again. I started researching alternative and natural remedies to cure ADHD. I found a doctor who specialized in ADHD and autism. This doctor ordered food allergy tests for my son. Low and behold, my son is allergic to about 15 different foods including wheat, dairy, soy, milk, eggs, nuts and others.

Distraught and overwhelmed, this is the first book (of many - most of which I returned) that I ordered.

It has been a real eye-opener. I can't even go into all of the topics the book covers.

I have made three or four of the recipes so far and they've all been great. Last night I made Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread and WOW, it is really good! Some recipes I have to substitute ingredients because of the severity of my sons allergies (as I did in the Pumpkin Bread), but I did so without affecting the end result.

It's scary and intimidating to suddenly change your life style - especially in the kitchen. I was never much of a cook before and now I cook 3-4 meals a day from scratch! This book is a great resource for those who are timid about trying this new approach to cooking.

BTW - I've already noticed improvement in my son's behavior. We've been on this ADHD diet for about six weeks. It's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Autism Rocks the House! GFCF Recipes Rock!, December 1, 2007
If there is any person in your household with autism, then it's time to make this book one of your best friends. Be sure to read Bette Hagman's stellar collection of gluten/casein free cookbooks as well as she is the top contender when it comes to providing information about keeping a GF/CF kitchen.

This is an excellent book that provides good information on preparing GFCF recipes and it is clearly written and very easy to follow. You get a lot of tips on how to provide nutrious snacks and meals. Good explanations about food and the recipes and the rationale for keeping a GFCF regimen are also explained. Readers get clear explanations of allergens and how to ward them off. You also get foods you will enjoy.

Again, be sure to make this book one of your best friends and it can rightfully take its place among other highly revered and happily used books about enjoying a GFCF lifestyle. Kudos to this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars ladyannem, February 20, 2008
Dana has written the most sensitive book on this subject I've ever seen, and I've read them all! Most cookbooks on this subject say they are gluten-free and simply change the grain from wheat to some other grass. They do not admit that ALL grasses contain gluten, including cane. Dana does and she works around it. Many authors simply switch from dairy to soy drink products, Dana describes why soy is dangerous for small children due to the American genetic hybridization programs and how it causes the users' hormones to be thrown out of balance. Dana also addresses the salicylate problem (or the Fiengold diet) which most ASD cookbooks ignore. Dana labels each recipe individually thereby identifying what your child may be sensitive to. She also addresses the issue of the lack of amino acids and provides holistic natural ways to boost you childs amino acid levels. You can heal your child holistically using this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps it should be 5 stars..., May 31, 2007
E. Barber (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
...but one of the cookie recipes called for Oat flour -- That's one of the forbidden, gluten-containing grains! Must be a typo.

Otherwise, this book is wonderful. Packed with the latest information, substitution rules, and a lot of recipes. The only recipe I've tried is Cinnamon Pancakes and they were fabulous. Although I'm a pretty good cook and can make up things pretty well, I've found that with gfcf baking it's best to follow a recipe and not improvise. With a lot of searching on the 'net you can find other recipes and information, but this book is really informative. And incidentally, the diet appears to be working -- my autistic son is feeling better and acting more like a normal 3-year-old after just 1 week, and I have to admit to feeling more clear-headed and attentive. Though it's a little tough getting started, it has been well worth the inconvenience. So if your child is ADHD or autistic, get this book, and if possible, transition your whole family to the diet. It can't hurt and is very likely to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food and Philosophy - Great book, June 4, 2007
I love this book, not only because the recipes are great and easy to follow, but it gives you the reasons why certain foods are helpful and healthy. That has helped me to spin-off my own recipes and make me think that I know how to cook again. My whole family sat down to a meal together (including one daughter with PDD, one with ADHD and a French gourmet husband) and we all ate virtually the same thing for the first time in five years. Buy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids, March 4, 2008
I bought this book as soon as it came out, because my son (not a child, a young man) had consulted author Dana Laake for help with a healing diet for an autoimmune disease, and her help was invaluable. After reading the book, I felt that there was good reason to use a CF/GF diet just to reorganize my physical system, and so I embarked on it in January 2007. I was 60 pounds overweight when I started the diet. One year later, I was no longer overweight, and had not experienced a bitter battle to diet down to my proper size. I think that is because I did not crave more food than my body needed, and my system returned to health in a gradual but inexorable way.

In September, I stopped in the post office to mail some packages, and a friendly postal employee asked me how I had lost so much weight. She was a very heavy woman who had been trying hard to lose weight and was very discouraged; also her children were worried about her health. I let her borrow my copy of this book and she was pleased and grateful. At Christmas, I gave her a bag of oranges, but didn't see her at that time because she wasn't working that day. I haven't been to that branch in several months, but I stopped by this morning. She came out to the front desk and I hardly recognized her; she looks like she has shed about 40 pounds. She looks more vigorous, younger, and happier. I didn't ask her anything about the weight because I didn't generally like people quizzing me about "how many pounds" and so forth, but I said to her, "Oh it's so nice to see you again, and you look so wonderful!" and she just beamed at me.

The diet is not just a prescription for autistic kids; it is a healthful, satisfying diet that promotes health and life. The book is not just a cookbook, either; it is an invaluable guide to good eating and the habit of health.

Even if you're in perfect health, fit and trim, I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for GFCF diet beginners!, November 24, 2007
If you are as confused and intimidated as I was at the thought of a GFCF diet for your autistic child then this is the book for you. This book is set up in a simple format much like a text book. The layout of the book makes it easier to understand not only the why's of the diet but the how's as well. The menu portion not only gives delicious recipes for meals and snacks but also teaches you how to make your own milk and has a section for substitutes needed to ease your child onto the diet. Prior to reading this book, I thought this diet would be impossible due to the fact that I live in a very rural area of Oklahoma and do not have access to health food stores like you would in most areas of the country. I am happy to say that because of this book we are happily beginning the GFCF diet with our 3 yr old son and are already seeing improvement. One big fat THANK YOU to the authors for their hard work!

5.0 out of 5 stars best gluten free book for beginners, November 18, 2011
My 6 year old son has Asperger's with violent and aggressive behavior. We finally decided to give gluten/caesin free diet a chance. I ordered the book, read it and found that it described many symptoms that my son has. He's been on the diet for 4 weeks now and he's been near perfect. If I only knew that a simple diet change can help my son I would have done it years ago. If you are even close to changing your child's diet- do it now and order this book!